Ngoc Nguyen

42134 - Monster Jam Megalodon & 42135 - Monster Jam El Toro Loco

From promobricks.de:

Megalodon.jpg

Apparently, this year's monster trucks with pull-back motors also sold very well. the third of the small series appears with the Monster Jam Megalodon . Of course, the LEGO model also has the light blue shark as a structure. There are a number of sharp teeth above the wheels. The model is again equipped with a pull-back motor. The set costs 19.99 euros and consists of 260 parts.

Set number:  42134
Name:  Monster Jam Megalodon
Number of parts:  260
Release date:  January 01, 2022
RRP:  19.99 euros

MonsterJamT.jpg

As a counterpart to the Megalodon, LEGO will be offering the Monster Jam El Toro Loco next year. In terms of design, this truck is a bit more boring. It's orange and has two huge horns on the roof of the car. The model is again equipped with a pull-back motor. The set also costs 19.99 euros, but consists of 247 parts.

Set number:  42135
Name:  Monster Jam El Toro Loco
Number of parts:  247
Release date:  January 01, 2022
RRP:  19.99 euros

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Megalodon is a bit of an odd choice given that it's such a recent truck - I'd have preferred Rammunition or Monster Mutt. Still, it'll be interesting to see what techniques TLG use to replicate the shark shape.

El Toro Loco is a superb choice, though, even though it's already been MOC'ed over here.

Edited by Maaboo35

I've seen three different implementations of Megalodon moсs already. But of course I'm very interested in what Lego will do in the end.

Edited by Igor1

Megalodon has pink gum and 1 panel #22 for the tail and 3 pairs of #3 & #4 panels in what I think is Medium Blue (42066 color).

El Toro Loco has Corvette orange mudguards at the rear.

And both use balloon tires :ugh:

(Cue @Maaboo35 for complaints)

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Megalodon has pink gum and 3 pairs of #3 & #4 panels in what I think is Medium Blue (42066 color).

El Toro Loco has Corvette orange mudguards at the rear.

(Cue @Maaboo35 for complaints)

You rang?

Seriously though, with TLG's profits being as they are, you'd think they could afford to throw in some Jeep tyres with the Monster Jam trucks. Maybe even some printed BKT tyres! The sets have been selling well to boot (try getting a Max-D anywhere).

And breathe!

46 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I still belive that TLG had strong reasons not to use the tractor tires for the first bunch even already having them ready for Wrangler, so they likelly won't appear in later monster tuck pullbacks... At least, it is not surprise. 

Edited by Void_S

I like that TLG chose the Megalodon Truck. It is a truck that looks like a angry shark. It is cool and I think Kids will like this one, I know I would have liked it when I was a kid.

Regarding Price I think those Trucks are not that terribly priced compared to the rest of the LEGO lineup. 20 bucks for 260 bricks is ~7.7 cents/brick, which isn't terrible considering is has a wind-up Motor too. Kids will be able to pick them up for 15 EUR if they wait a bit, so they can make a birthday present  for a friend  or just something a kid can afford to buy with their own pocket money. Not bad at all.

Balloon tires roll a little better, so it makes sense to me for a Pullback.

42122 tires would look better though. 

10 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Balloon tires roll a little better, so it makes sense to me for a Pullback.

42122 tires would look better though. 

I did a test comparing the two set of tires and found no practical difference between them. But based on the comments on my videos some people prefer one over the other and vice versa, so maybe the choice was simply the result of an internal vote in the Technic team :) 

12 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

I like that TLG chose the Megalodon Truck. It is a truck that looks like a angry shark. It is cool and I think Kids will like this one, I know I would have liked it when I was a kid.

For me Megalodon is too recent a truck. I'd have preferred Monster Mutt, Rammunition or Wolf's Head.

First time seeing this thread - have to say i will be buying both.
The playability is massive, especially with the previous 2. My son loves running them down ramps at full speed into eachother, and they hold up great. So theses are basically a no-brainer. Good move by Lego.

I don't know much about Monster Trucks these days, but for this size, it looks nice.

What I really appreciate is the fact that TLC sticks to a theme, here which can also inspire to create own monster trucks.

Side note: I see a Pin Connector, Perpendicular 2 x 4 Bent in orange as a B-pillar, right now only available in black.

I think it sucks. Again those flawed wheels and boxy design. I thought the set would be as good as this, but no.

Edited by Igor1

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

Love the B-model as well!

Me too, it looks quite Mad Max-ish style, by the way. Only needs some tall poles at the rear. A kind of apocalyptic bug-road, for me :sweet:

Honestly, I'd say my only criticism is that the truck is angled weirdly on the box. Not sure why it wasn't given the dynamic side-on shot like Grave Digger and Max-D.

But why on these awful tires? I can't understand tlg - they have new realistic tires.

I spot red 1/2 pins. Possibly with friction? Would be useful to keep those teeth aligned. 

I had very low expectations for the Megalodon as the source material looks pretty dumb, but the Lego version is surprisingly good looking. Might even go and buy me one.