Ngoc Nguyen

42141 - McLaren Formula 1™ Race Car

So I was right about just a sticker change 😎 just need it to be back in stock so I can get one

9 hours ago, williamyzfr1 said:

if you look on Lego.com/uk the model is out of stock but the product picture shows the updated decals applied. They have not updated the box picture yet though.

You can compare the differences by looking at the same picture on Amazon.co.uk which is currently in stock to purchase with the old decals.

I guess the box picture and instruction manual would also have to be changed for the revised model.

EDIT Online Lego Building Instructions are available for download with revised decals.

Earlier I received the model I ordered yesterday from Amazon UK. I can confirm its the original and the stickers include the deleted sponsors including "Bitci" and "P Zero" wheel covers.

9 hours ago, jonwil said:

As for the wheels, I would be surprised that they are changing given that the supposed "new" image still has Pirelli logos on it elsewhere and given that the Speed Champions Mercedes F1 car has the same blue Pirelli detailing on its wheels and I haven't heard of that being discontinued or affected (although I do notice that the Mercedes says "cinturato" and not P Zero like the McLaren, can't find an image of the actual blue-writing wet weather Pirelli tyre for 2022 to confirm what Pirelli actually call it)

I also thought during the review that Pirelli might update the branding on the wet tires, there should have been a consultation after all between the 2 companies. When I talked to Chris Stamp about the 2022 Speed Champions sets, he said that Pirelli suggested to use the blue Cinturato branding on the F1 tire due to the LEGO tire's thread. The same should have happened with the Technic team, but based on the photos from the 2022 tests the wet tire is still the same:

Bcarlos-sainz-jr-ferrari-f1-75-1.jpg

But this whole blurred new look makes no sense at all. Why didn't they simply update it with the proper text? Since the car still has the Pirelli logo on the front it's not about any revoked licenses for sure. 

Its possible that the various parts used for the wheel (including the 8 x 8 plate) aren't a close enough match to he actual wet weather Pirelli Cinturato tyres and Pirelli told LEGO not to use their name on it.

The wheel hub they used on the Mercedes looks fairly close to what's in that Ferrari picture but the way they did the McLaren (with the 8 x 8 round plate/tile thing) looks nothing like it.

8 minutes ago, jonwil said:

Its possible that the various parts used for the wheel (including the 8 x 8 plate) aren't a close enough match to he actual wet weather Pirelli Cinturato tyres and Pirelli told LEGO not to use their name on it.

This does not make much sense either, the development of a licensed set shouldn't work like this. There's a consultation between LEGO and the licensing partners, approvals, etc. It's not like Pirelli didn't know how the set will look like...

Its possible that what McLaren and Pirelli showed to LEGO at the time the stickers were designed and what's out there racing around the tracks now are different and that's why Pirelli doesn't want their logo on it anymore.

So after checking the reveal photos this "new" design was actually present on the 2022 car when it was unveiled. It is confusing since those blue stripes and the McLaren logo are on the smaller wheel cap, while LEGO's version had the Pirelli text there which supposed to be on the tire originally.

image.png.916a9ce470bc2abb5344d10b535173ad.png

But since then McLaren signed a sponsorship deal with Google, so this will be their design going forward:

image.png.a1e56346d5d9e4ecdb51e61af95222b9.png

This means we get an updated LEGO version which is not more accurate than the previous one...

2 hours ago, kbalage said:

So after checking the reveal photos this "new" design was actually present on the 2022 car when it was unveiled. It is confusing since those blue stripes and the McLaren logo are on the smaller wheel cap, while LEGO's version had the Pirelli text there which supposed to be on the tire originally.

image.png.916a9ce470bc2abb5344d10b535173ad.png

Nice find. Given that they were redesigning the stickers, I'm surprised they left the newer design at the outer edge instead of moving it closer to the wheel center.

Or maybe I shouldn't be surprised at this point.

Surprised the 2022 still remained on the box. Luckily I didn't buy this set yet mainly because of the wrong wheel cover sticker. But I'll wait a few month more until the retailers have the new stock only or in case LEGO decides to do some more changes.

I called LEGO customer service yesterday and although they could not share more details about the reasons for this change or when the new version will be available, they asked me if I wanted to get the updated sticker sheet sent to me, free of charge of course. More details and some theories in this video:

The fact that the "updated" design is still outdated could be explained by Lego's process and overhead on making changes to already released sets or about to release sets (if the change was decided upon before the launch of the set), but considering the size of that plate and sticker compared to the tire itself, I find it strange that they went from representing a tire print on a smaller radius than the actual tire, to representing a rim print on a bigger radius than the actual rim.

Neither really work if you know the source material. Had they drawn both tire and rim on that sticker, even if inaccurate, would have been much better than drawing either, having it too small or too big respectively and rather devoid of detail overall.

Though I guess the way it is now, it's easier to "manually apply" the correct tire print with the right brush and paint, if you really want an accurate model. And for the money this set costs, why shouldn't you?

Although I recently puchased this set IMHO the whole concept of a huge flat plate to give the impression of a larger wheel and lower profile tyre is wrong. Lego should have done it the correct way with a new wheel and tyre.

I have built my own insert that fits within the confines of the Tumbler wheel, as it uses Lego 2x2 Macaroni I can change those to the new Google sponsor colours. The end result may not hide the incorrect tyre profile but to me it is better than that big black disc on each wheel,

Incidentally I emailed Lego UK about the new sticker set and they are sending it FOC.

Us rednecks carpenters around here have a saying, "Caulk and Paint make a carpenter what he ain't." Seems TLG is adopting a similar mantra.

The dumbest part about this design update is that LEGO has to reprint all 3 sticker sheets, update instructions and box when they could just send customers who want the new sticker sheets for free.

Unless I have made a mistake the only changed stickers are the Large one on the nose section and the wheel covers.

The rest of the changes are all stickers that are no longer used:

Bitci.com

Buzz

ONTM Pay.

EDIT Today the revised sticker set turned up and Miory Steel is still on the large sticker on the nose section. Lego were very apologetic and confirmed Miory Steel ishould not be on the new sticker. They believe they sent an original Sticker sheet 3 in error. They are sending another complete set.

Edited by williamyzfr1
extra info.

Well, on the LEGO Shop there's a new box artwork yet. So there will be obviously also a new box.

I can’t believe this is still out of stock on the U.K. on the online shop. At this rate the 2022 season will have finished before I can buy and build the set 🤣

29 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I can’t believe this is still out of stock on the U.K. on the online shop. At this rate the 2022 season will have finished before I can buy and build the set 🤣

Currently showing in stock for home delivery from Smyths https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/lego-and-bricks/lego-technic/lego-42141-technic-mclaren-formula-1-2022-race-car-model-set-for-adults/p/204041

4 hours ago, LegoHoops said:

Life Sized - LEGO Technic® McLaren  Formula 1 Race Car 

Yes I saw this being promoted when the Australian Grand Prix was on. It’s funny how they’ll put the correct effort for the tyre branding for that model but not with the official set…