Ngoc Nguyen

42141 - McLaren Formula 1™ Race Car

It's just the reality of production. Lego needs to have its final model ready months before release, while McLaren can decide on a new sponsor or paint scheme yesterday.

Still, if Lego didn't have pictures of the actual 2022 model, they didn't need to put 2022 on the box. Just imagine someone going in the store... Hey, the new 2022 F1 model! Buying, going home, assembled it, than open a picture of "real" F1... Wait a minute, this isn't the same car as on the box... 

13 minutes ago, Citromon said:

Still, if Lego didn't have pictures of the actual 2022 model, they didn't need to put 2022 on the box. Just imagine someone going in the store... Hey, the new 2022 F1 model! Buying, going home, assembled it, than open a picture of "real" F1... Wait a minute, this isn't the same car as on the box... 

I dont think they will put in another model as stated on the box. This is bizarre, its a complete mixup of the new 2022 car with an old livery. I’m pretty dissapointed and went from “instant buy” to “will leave it where it is” in 2 seconds.. 

I like display sets, but only if they are accurate and resemble the “real thing”…

Edited by FF4266
Typo

We're still on the outside of both F1 and Lego, there's likely some stuff, some discussions that we don't know. TLG did update the design of the Zetros, maybe the same is already planned for the McLaren? I mean, how else could Lego possibly release a fully accurate model of something which is still changing?

Edited by allanp

4 minutes ago, allanp said:

We're still on the outside of both F1 and Lego, there's likely some stuff, some discussions that we don't know. TLG did update the design of the Zetros, maybe the same is already planned for the McLaren? I mean, how else could Lego possibly release a fully accurate model of something which is still changing?

I can imagine thousands of sets already being produced so how would they adjust that? Nah, I think that it will come in stores just how we have seen in in pictures and vids..

46 minutes ago, allanp said:

The comparison to the Zetros update is not appropriate in this case. They HAD to fix the design due to the negative reviews and customer complaints same as they fixed the jamming engine on the concrete mixer truck. With the F1 car they simply screwed up similar to how they sometimes don't depict Star Wars models as they appear in the on-screen reference by having too little information on the source material or by being deliberately kept in the dark in case something leaks out. Imagine the shitstorm it would have caused if the leaked video images would have been of the actual 2022 McLaren livery. Still, all this could be avoided if TLG would stop releasing the most recent model. By the time the set reaches EOL it will be outdated anyway so why even bother? The older stuff is technically more interesting anyway and easier to depict in LEGO form.

1 hour ago, Citromon said:

I'm 100% sure this wasn't a decision made by TLG alone. They sat down with McLaren, checked their options and chose to do a 2022 style car with the 2021 livery. I don't think we will ever know the exact reasons behind the decision, maybe TLG wanted to use their new panels to make it a more desirable product and they are matching the new design, maybe McLaren wanted to promote the newer version, or maybe something completely different. 

With the development and production time of a Technic set at this scale I think it would be almost impossible to have a set released with the actual year's design and livery. 

It's a strange choice regardless of who made the desicion. I understand why they didn't make it a proper 2022 car, but putting the 2021 livery on 2022 bodywork is just wierd. They could have made a full 2021 car instead and avoided all the complaints about inaccuracy.

When I read this...

"For 2022, the LEGO Technic designers have worked closely with the designers at McLaren Racing. Both sets of experts developed their model at the same time, making this a very special collaboration."

... on there website... I really don't understand how they could stuff this model up so badly. From the 2021 livery to the fact that the model doesn't really resemble the photos of the 2022 McLaren released earlier today. It's like a hybrid mix between the 2021 and 2022 car. Not to mention the tyre choices and the ridiculous sticker steering wheel. (why couldn't they use something like this https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=40001#T=C)

The only saving grace for me is that I really like McLarens, its close to 8:1 scale and there's a stack of new interesting pieces in the model. I've wanted to get an F1 model for a while now, so will probably eventually buy it at a heavy discount and do some serious modifications to it.

24 minutes ago, 1340cc said:

It's a strange choice regardless of who made the desicion. I understand why they didn't make it a proper 2022 car, but putting the 2021 livery on 2022 bodywork is just wierd. They could have made a full 2021 car instead and avoided all the complaints about inaccuracy.

If at least the bodywork was the 2022 car, but not even that is accurate. Rear and tail fin are off, spoiler too high, air scoops are missing, the front suspension is wrong (should be pull-rod), the nose is too big, even the wheel covers are off.
cBCCkLi.png

6 hours ago, FF4266 said:

I like display sets, but only if they are accurate and resemble the “real thing”…

Same here. I wasn't a big fan of the model from the beginning - from some angles it looks real bad, and no printed tires? That's shame. But now, knowing, it's not even a real car - I'm totally off. 

4 hours ago, kbalage said:

With the development and production time of a Technic set at this scale I think it would be almost impossible to have a set released with the actual year's design and livery. 

Maybe they should wait a couple of months like with the Bugatti or Sian and release a proper 2022 model in summer instead of march. 

Maybe McLaren wanted this way in order to prevent leaking information of their F1 development to competition and even Lego model can indicate some solution; you have to realize that in F1 is most extreme competition and rivalry for decades and often ahead of it's time...in 1994 some engineers from space program (at the time they worked with NASA in the States) went to Cossworth (who supplied Benetton with engines) to share their experience about using exotic material and founded out that F1 is miles ahead of their space program.

Remember that in F1 only 1% improvement on lap time means 1 second quicker per lap which means over minute  to one lap quicker in whole race!

7 minutes ago, 1gor said:

Maybe McLaren wanted this way in order to prevent leaking information of their F1 development to competition

Then why do this set at all?

28 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

The answer to each and every question in the line of "why did Lego do x?" 

Money. 

There you go. You can get off the internet now. Nothing more to see here. 

They figured that a vaguely accurate model would sell better than no model at all. It's nothing personal. Promise.

25 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Good question. Friend of mine worked in Working in early 2000s (he was mathematician) and said that there were measures like you are working for secret service. Since you know what kind of problems are causing lepin and co to LEGO, you can imagine what is in F1.

IMHO best compromise would be waiting for official presentation of real MCL36 and make as close as possible bodywork (suspension, steering, engine I think is not such problem) and even if release will be in May it would be more understandable from our side than this scenario....but it is easy to general after war...

I just hope that out discussion didn't go to far off topic...after all it is all important what goddess Juno moneta thinks

9 minutes ago, 1gor said:

IMHO best compromise would be waiting for official presentation of real MCL36 and make as close as possible bodywork (suspension, steering, engine I think is not such problem) and even if release will be in May it would be more understandable from our side than this scenario....but it is easy to general after war...

Lego would never design and publish a set within a single quarter of the year.  Even Cada needs roundabout a half year to bring my model to the market.

6 minutes ago, efferman said:

Lego would never design and publish a set within a single quarter of the year.  Even Cada needs roundabout a half year to bring my model to the market.

I didn't know exact time they need but it was just my opinion. I need 2 years to finish my proper MOC and then Lego introduces part that turns my building upside down :laugh:

...and back to the drawing board...

The argument that they don’t want to reveal small details is just cringe. It’s Lego Technic - you can’t catch small details. Even if you could, then that’s easily worked around by just doing the base 2022 car prototype and using the 2022 livery.

The only reason I could see that this didn’t have the actual 2022 livery is because McLaren wouldn’t have it ready by the production deadline. I agree that this set should have released later with the 2022 livery, but I’m not too bothered. I think it’s a nice successor to 42000, even if it could have been better by featuring a removable nose wing and rear wing

Edited by Bartybum

Once again, a simple solution would be to get ride of 2022 from the box. It wold be just a F1 car, no specification. Otherwise it's a misleading marketing. We all know is for the money, but how about some respect for the customers too?

7 hours ago, Bartybum said:

The argument that they don’t want to reveal small details is just cringe. It’s Lego Technic - you can’t catch small details. Even if you could, then that’s easily worked around by just doing the base 2022 car prototype and using the 2022 livery.

The only reason I could see that this didn’t have the actual 2022 livery is because McLaren wouldn’t have it ready by the production deadline. I agree that this set should have released later with the 2022 livery, but I’m not too bothered. I think it’s a nice successor to 42000, even if it could have been better by featuring a removable nose wing and rear wing

I was referring more on things like suspension because using pull rod suspension causes other changes in approach because everything is connected IRL of motorsport and teams (constructors) are looking for best compromise; just one hint - Renault R26 had additional shock absorber  that acts as mass damper that at the end was key point because whole car was constructed around it - mass damper was a key for efficient cornering and as such it has high influence on aerodynamics...so pull rod suspension could always be an indicator for some aerodynamic solution in eyes of competition

@1gor We know you have a lot of knowledge of F1 cars or the industry but we are talking about a plastic construction toy that needs 1 or at most 1.5 years from sketch-model to series production. Surely the real 2022 F1 car was not conceived in a few month and the livery is just a sticker that can be changed last minute. I don't get it why so many AFOL's are defending TLG or say it was not just their decision to bring out an inaccurate licensed model of a real car especially for the most expensive motorsport industry. Where does "Build for real" and "only the best is good enough" fit in this picture?
You know why 42000 was so successful? Because it didn't rely on a useless license and the function stood much higher over display value. That is what LEGO Technic should be all about and not just a platform to advertise brands.

I'm not too thrilled by the 2022 livery (too little of that New Blue they used for the MCL35M Monaco). McLaren's choice of complementary colours these last few years possibly made it the most eye-pleasing car, especially in 2021. I rather like the way the Lego model looks, even if it's not accurately representing the 2022 livery: it still has a referent in reality— two actually, both of which I really like. The 2022 shape & functions need some tweaking, but that's the fun of it, otherwise 180€ would evaporate in just a few hours.

Edited by phmzt

@R0Sch I'm flattered with your compliment. I wanted to point out that LEGO as such as big global player they are need to make agreements with companies they have license contract with, so gentleman don't be too disappointed and brainstorm how to modify the set to suit your perception of F1 car

Edited by 1gor

On a more positive note, does anyone know the embargo for the reviews and such? I'm really keen to see some more in depth info before I buy it soon.

3 hours ago, OnyyX said:

On a more positive note, does anyone know the embargo for the reviews and such? I'm really keen to see some more in depth info before I buy it soon.

Embargo dates and times in general are under embargo as well, but reviews are usually available before the official launch of the set so you'll be able to watch them before pulling the trigger :)