Ngoc Nguyen

42141 - McLaren Formula 1™ Race Car

48 minutes ago, Ondra said:

Anyone remember silver champion formula? I would buy it now without hesitation.

Price, stickers,... basically the same model? :D

19 minutes ago, Gimmick said:

Price, stickers,... basically the same model? :D

Different wheels and V8; studded construction below panels...so it is different, but both are McLaren Mercedes f1 cars

1 hour ago, Peter1999 said:

Quick question - is there some limited slip / lockable differential like someone mentioned or not?

IMO as a F1 fan, this is what I expected, I will buy it eventually and hang it sideways on the wall. With functions it resembles  older Ferrari technics which are impossible to buy nowadays, so I am not really dissapointed. But I agree on that the engine compartement could be made better, it does not need gearbox, but some details like on older F1 technics and removable hood would be great.

What I really looking forward is that soon there will be topic "mclaren f1 mod and improvements", where you other experienced builders make all changes for rest of us, to make this car perfect!

Same opinion. I definitely will get it. Classic Technic F1s are incredibly expensive now!!!

3 minutes ago, efferman said:

Has someone else spotted the 3x11 Frame under the cockpit?

Yes, great part for reinforcements (mentioned one page earlier if I remember correctly)

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/187809-42141-mclaren-formula-1™-race-car/&do=findComment&comment=3497573

Edited by 1gor

The main features of a true F1 car are very difficult, if not impossible, to translate into LEGO:

- KERS 

- splitted turbo 

- hybrid engine 

Even the gearbox does not work like traditional gearboxes, as hydraulics and electronics work together in a seamless gear attachment. Add the steering wheel levers and it would be bigger than the Sian' s one.

Edited by Pato Sentado

13 minutes ago, efferman said:

Thanks

Thank you for making cool render :sweet:

25 minutes ago, efferman said:

TBH that frame was really unexpected, I'd imagine they'd release a 5x5 frame or such before that. But as mentioned before it's probably needed in the crane. Now that i see it, i already imagine the uses in my head, specifically reinforcing the sides of 1:8 models and the central tunnels.

Edited by Zerobricks

4 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Anyone know how this compares size wise to 42000 ? From what I remember that was a sizeable model

I found that lenght of the concept car was like 5630 m long so in 1:8 scale its 70 cm long

Edited by Mane

1 hour ago, Zerobricks said:

TBH that frame was really unexpected, I'd imagine they'd release a 5x5 frame or such before that. But as mentioned before it's probably needed in the crane. Now that i see it, i already imagine the uses in my head, specifically reinforcing the sides of 1:8 models and the central tunnels.

Same here, the part itself is surprising, but appears to be very useful. Must get a bunch of those as soon as they become easily available.

1 hour ago, efferman said:

51869366392_bb8a1195f3_c.jpg

As I counted it is 3x19 (first I thought it is 3x21)

IhzJWQqPwCw.jpg?size=2048x1536&quality=9

1 minute ago, efferman said:

I guess we have to wait till the first review to be sure about its length

no need to wait, you can count it here at 7:02

6 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

I do hope people expecting a gearbox and other fancy features will realize now that it's simply not the target model/scale for such features and not to expect them again in the next year's 1300-1500 pcs 180€ model.

Why discourage the fight for what can only make a set better?

32 minutes ago, rm8 said:

As I counted it is 3x19 (first I thought it is 3x21)

That would be a really huge part, are you sure it's not 2 parts joined together somewhere? Is it all visible? In your video, it seems like some of it may be hidden, though I can't see clearly. Although the crane might need such a length..

About the diff lock; the lego website currently says:

"Just like the real car, this LEGO Technic version features a V6 cylinder engine with moving pistons, steering, suspension and differential."

So I guess they realized that it was a misleading marketing glitch, and corrected it. So don't hold your breath for it..

27 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Why discourage the fight for what can only make a set better?

I'm not, just being realistic according to the past trend of 42096, 42125 and now this.

Also that 21x3 frame makes total sense. They probably couln't just extend the 15L liftarm due to the bending forces, so this was the only way to get a longer part without bending/breaking under load.

Edited by Zerobricks

TLG on how to make Technic sets appealing:

- 2010s: cool functions!
- 2020s: new panels! new connectors! licenses!

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

TLG on how to make Technic sets appealing:

- 2010s: cool functions!
- 2020s: new panels! new connectors! licenses!

Both can be right, it depends who they are trying to appeal to.  In general companies want to grow and the way to grow is to find new customers.  New customers aren't going to miss tons of functions and they will be drawn in by cosmetics and recognizable licenses.  We are not their target market.

If you like to build sets and/or play with them, cool functions are great.  More interesting to build, more fun to play with.  But if you are mainly interested in building your own stuff what difference does it make what functions TLG puts in their sets?  New parts could let you make things you couldn't make before which is fun.  Whether a set is appealing totally depends on the person who's contemplating buying it and what their motivations are.

2 minutes ago, mdemerchant said:

Both can be right, it depends who they are trying to appeal to. 

yep, 42139/40/41 -> looks like there is something for everyone.

But this model get's so much attention -> will sell like 'geschnitten Brot' [ger] :X

48 minutes ago, mdemerchant said:

But if you are mainly interested in building your own stuff what difference does it make what functions TLG puts in their sets?  New parts could let you make things you couldn't make before which is fun. 

This sums up my feelings about this set well. The model itself looks pretty bad, but the new parts will be VERY useful to me (especially the blue panels). I won’t buy it like I didn’t buy the Ferrari, but I will definitely go to B&P again to order the new parts.

14 hours ago, howitzer said:

Other than that, I have about this much to say:

For latvian little bit different, more like starting with at ,  and totally wrong for russians.

But price per piece count, considering license, seems OK. If we also take in to account energy prices, then really OK.

And of course, lego also is just a bussiness, so they are making products, that really sells. Here we can use our contests as examples - most probably, best looking will "sell".

But I think, I will buy this because of parts, as those new won't be available soon in large amounts for good price.

There was also complains about halo. I think, it is pretty OK for parts available. I would be more dissapointed, if they made some specific part just to use in this halo, and not to come back for it.

Of course, I would expected really front and other panels removable for "maintenance". That would be good feature. Maybe some more details on engine.

But I think, we have good base for modding again. This is the way, lego cares about us, those who wan't it not only as display model.