Ngoc Nguyen

42141 - McLaren Formula 1™ Race Car

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

A question to all those disappointed by this model but what did you expect from a Technic mode at this scale and price point? I can’t see there being any space in the model for a gearbox especially with the amount of gears they have.

it looks like an F1 car, it has suspension, a fake engine and steering. What are people missing ?

Agreed. The price seems about right for the part count (+Licence).. and there's no space for anything else.

I said previously that a proper 4k part count, ucs special f1 car would be exceptional. But this isn't that, and isn't meant to be. It'll be £130 when its on the shelves... and its probably worth that. 

Aesthetically speaking, this set has lots of nice panels, but in terms of functions, it's a step backward from 42000. It's even missing the HOG knob! Clearly intended for display. Hopefully it will decrease the price of tumbler tires, it's the first set including 4 as far as I know.

17 minutes ago, kbalage said:

I think what we would like to see is something between the ~1600 pcs 160€ Porsche 911 RSR and the ~2600 pcs 200€ Land Rover Defender, both from a piece count, price and functionality point of view. I don't think it's unfair to expect a licensed set around ~1600-1800 pcs that would have more interesting features than the very basic steering/suspension/fake engine setup. I don't want to see an 8 speed gearbox, but it'd be nice to see functions and not only new panels/parts added. Maybe TLG got too cautious because of the fiasco with the overcomplicated Defender gearbox? 

I do hope we get to see more 42110 - like models with a gearbox and a higher piece count. Last year's Raptor could have been an ideal candidate, but it would probably end up too large. Though I still hope we get to see a model like a Bronco with simillar functionality as 42110 in the near future. I think those 1:10 4x4 models are the best blend of aestehtics, functionality and robustness. Anything smaller is less functional (no gearbox, etc) and anything bigger is much heavier, expensive and less robust (inverse cube law).

45 minutes ago, Frequenzberater said:

What about 

opening Hood (the air damped cylinders of prevoius models were awesome), adjustable rear spoiler via linkage mechanism, wheel wings which turnes with the steering (like the real model), a gearbox (I am sure it is possible to fit something in), a diff lock

or anything else which the prevoius three big F1 cars not have done (even better at some points) 

Its just dissapointing that its a pure display model again without any mechanical advantages. 

Totally agree. Just look at how much wasted space there is between the seat and engine to fit any kind of simple gearbox or rear hood mechanism. Plus new, slick tires, with prints and different width would have been mandatory for a licensed F1 car.

xVJSWe4.jpg

Just explain me this: Sian had 3700 pieces for 380$, the next supercar will be 3700 pieces for 400$ - both are licensed 18+ with some crazy packaging and all prints. F1 is 180$ for 1400 pieces (360$ for 2800), it has only stickers and a regular box. Do you want to say that this set it's not overpriced?

Looks like a treasure trove of recolours, along with some interesting new parts.

Other than that, I have about this much to say:

272103449_10219991465593775_125278858746

Gentleman, perhaps there is a fuel tank between driver and engine :wink:

Despite that illustration below shows approximate power unit placement 2014-formula-1-rules-and-regulations-exp

4 hours ago, LvdH said:

It looks like the 3x5 dog bone frames will also be coming in black:

Perhaps they took apart the life-size Sian and were wondering what to do with all them black parts... :laugh_hard:

800x621.jpg

8 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Looks like a treasure trove of recolours, along with some interesting new parts.

Other than that, I have about this much to say:

So it interests you as much as a kilogram of shit does, then. Cool. :laugh:

10 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

So it interests you as much as a kilogram of shit does, then. Cool. :laugh:

Correct.

1 hour ago, TeamThrifty said:

Agreed. The price seems about right for the part count (+Licence).. and there's no space for anything else.

I said previously that a proper 4k part count, ucs special f1 car would be exceptional. But this isn't that, and isn't meant to be. It'll be £130 when its on the shelves... and its probably worth that. 

I am beginning to wonder how we have been led to thinking that £130-160 for a mish-mash of plastic panels and parts, seemingly thrown together is money well spent - and worth it??   This line of Technic "display models" are so ugly and boring, even my kids don't want to build them!!!  

The halo on this model is so horrible, I can barely look at it

Edited by Pvdb

3 hours ago, jovel said:

There seams to be a new frame.

If I did count correctly, it might be a 3x21 with at every 7 hole an extra beam for support.

Looks like 3x11 to me. Or are there two new 3-wide frames and are you looking at a different one?

Looks good enough with the new panels and I like the look of the new frames. But even without a gearbox it would have been nice to get a few more details, such as the 2 stage final drive gear reduction for a nice, high revving engine when you push it....

1-Figure1-1.png

....hand of God steering and printed tyres.

I don't know, I still like it… but all things considered it's really expensive. And the wrong name on the tyres does feel like a bad joke.

I don't mind the lack of a gearbox at all, but the same old engine bores me stiff… at least they could have come up with a more interesting engine for this 18+ model. There should be a turbo, something that spins, it's been Turbo V6 for 8 years now… That, and what there is already, would have made it a brilliant model, for me.

I wonder if something like this (poor attempt of mine) would actually fit:

V6_Turbo_1.png

Edited by phmzt

If I was allotted 1400 pieces to make an F1 model it would be either beautiful or full of function. This is like a spork -neither a good spoon nor a good fork, it disappoints at both uses. 

For a display model, then just effing make it from system parts, put in the Creator category, and make it beautiful, like the 911 or the Mustang! 

But if this is supposed to be Technic, then dammit put some technical features and functions in it.  I can't stand seeing stacks of beams or panels where some nice tiles or standard bricks would do wonders aesthetically. Or alternately where they could have omitted those panels and used the parts budget on functional items. 

compared to what we normally get in technic this car is stunning. The people comparing it unfavourably to 42000 are absolutely mad. The airbox alone on the mcl36 is so much more refined. Who cares if theres a half stud gap just above the engine if you're looking perfectly side on, how many times are you going to get that angle looking at it in person? Are any complaints made about  the ugly single half beam trailing the airbox on 42000? Ok the wheels look a bit derpy, but so do the real wheel covers. Printed different sized slicks would mean 2 new expensive parts that cant sensibly be reused in mocs. Would have been nice to see slightly smaller covers that fit inside the step of the tyres making them flush but ohwell.  

Quick question - is there some limited slip / lockable differential like someone mentioned or not?

IMO as a F1 fan, this is what I expected, I will buy it eventually and hang it sideways on the wall. With functions it resembles  older Ferrari technics which are impossible to buy nowadays, so I am not really dissapointed. But I agree on that the engine compartement could be made better, it does not need gearbox, but some details like on older F1 technics and removable hood would be great.

What I really looking forward is that soon there will be topic "mclaren f1 mod and improvements", where you other experienced builders make all changes for rest of us, to make this car perfect!

Well, at least it has suspension and a ton of recolors/new parts.

Of course I will try to make a gearbox, possibly using those new gear sizes that come in the 42140 transformation vehicle in collaboration with the regular 16 and 20 T idler clutch gears.

1 minute ago, Peter1999 said:

Quick question - is there some limited slip / lockable differential like someone mentioned or not?

IMO as a F1 fan, this is what I expected, I will buy it eventually and hang it sideways on the wall. With functions it resembles  older Ferrari technics which are impossible to buy nowadays, so I am not really dissapointed. But I agree on that the engine compartement could be made better, it does not need gearbox, but some details like on older F1 technics and removable hood would be great.

What I really looking forward is that soon there will be topic "mclaren f1 mod and improvements", where you other experienced builders make all changes for rest of us, to make this car perfect!

There is no limited slip differential, the small CV joints drive the standard differential directly which drives a 20 tooth gear which drives the engine. If you'd wanted a lockable diff, it would have to be the new version with additional 3 studs of space needed at the side for the lock. And finally the small CV joints are too weak for such locking and would get damaged over time.

Technic is really weird nowadays, so many very high priced set with only purpose to display...

Yeah and all these functions are hidden under panels with tons of stickers, so nothing to see...

I see no purpose to buy technic set today at this price point in this state.

Anyone remember silver champion formula? I would buy it now without hesitation.

4 hours ago, Seasider said:

A question to all those disappointed by this model but what did you expect from a Technic mode at this scale and price point? I can’t see there being any space in the model for a gearbox especially with the amount of gears they have.

it looks like an F1 car, it has suspension, a fake engine and steering. What are people missing ?

What do I expect from a technic model for € 180?

• A big detailed engine. With all the cooling, exhausts, turbo's and what not - teach us something about racing engines (include the electrical part too if the 2022 cars still have that)
  • Removable parts - like front wings - teach some design
  • Some actual F1 tires
  • Some great ideas have been mentioned above
  • There are a lot of sets with equal partcount that do more on the functional side

This set is just a big pile of panels filled with nothing. I'm not going to buy that. I have a big pile of panels laying around already. Do I need 5 new panel types in 4 different colors? No.

Can we not critize Lego anymore? This is expensive and hollow, like a lot of previous sets. I don't like it. I will not buy it.

Where are the surprises? I want Lego to design with passion. Surprise us. Teach about technic. They can do this. They have in the past. I want that to return.

I'm glad to see the standard LBG engine blocks here. I was wondering if the trans-clear ones would be the new standard, which would disappoint me. I'm happy to have them available, but there's definitely places where the LBG ones look better.