Ngoc Nguyen

42141 - McLaren Formula 1™ Race Car

23 hours ago, Seasider said:

@Technicallism I still don’t understand why the Lego model would be revealed before the actual car. Doesn’t make sense.

@ShowsOn there’s a Technic engine using the standard blocks in the model, when I briefly saw the images it showed one. I’d hope for some form of suspension too, and perhaps something to open the wing for DRS as that still exists on the 2022 cars.

SO, IT’S OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED!!!!

Photos are up on US lego site 42141

It seems to me that the top part is removable to reveal the engine. The halo is quite interesting actually, a few new parts in orange for sure. 

Edited by lnteknik

Hopefully those new panels (large one and that small extension) will be available separately.

Suspension setup looks really like on 42000.

Looks nice aside from the dishes uses instead of sidewall printing, so I'll likely pick it up eventually just because it's a McLaren but probably wait for a sale. NZ price is almost the same as the BMW which has almost 500 more pieces, several new molds and a gearbox.

Extended wheel covers ruin it for me.

Blue wet tyres are Cinturato not P-Zero as previously stated - A poor model for the licensed lego price. - I won't be buying.

Shame as  I was previously willing to prerorder prior to release date.

Yikes... The more I see of it the less I like it. 
640x413.jpeg

This view in particular looks very bad.

This set is a step backwards compared to previous 1:8 scale F1 cars 20! years ago. The only new piece besides the trapezoidal fairings is a new 3x11 frame in black. I also counted over 65 stickers. They couldn't even bother to print the 8x8 tiles with the wrong P Zero livery.
LEGO_42141_alt2.jpg

22 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

The only new piece besides the trapezoidal fairings is a new 3x11 frame in black

It does have the 1x2 panel as well, in the spoiler. And a whole bunch of recolors.

To list a few recolors:
Trapezoidal panels in black and blue
Part 15100 in orange
Part 22961 in orange
3x7 curved panel in blue
3x11 curved panel in blue
Orange 11 long suspension arm in orange
5x7 frame in orange
1x2 thin liftarm in orange
Part 57585 in black

Edited by LvdH

21 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

They couldn't even bother to print the 8x8 tiles with the wrong P Zero livery.
LEGO_42141_alt2.jpg

Getting those stickers aligned so they don't look like they wobble when rotating will be a nightmare, and there's 4 of them.

9 minutes ago, 1340cc said:

Getting those stickers aligned so they don't look like they wobble when rotating will be a nightmare, and there's 4 of them.

Exactly my point. Everyone thought last years Ferrari 488 was a let down, but this here is on the same level if not worse.

LMAO. "LEGO sets these days are much more advanced than 25 years ago" :facepalm:

Edited by R0Sch
added video

It has the same launch price as Ferrari 488 set @ 179.90 EUR, roughly the same techs - steering, suspensions, and moving pistons engine. This has more large panels which explains the lesser parts count. It also has probably more expensive tires. But all in all, I'll say it's the successor to Ferrari 488 and Porsche RSR set. TLG has effectively revived the Racers series and charge a premium for livery/stickers    

42 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

This set is a step backwards compared to previous 1:8 scale F1 cars 20! years ago. The only new piece besides the trapezoidal fairings is a new 3x11 frame in black. I also counted over 65 stickers. They couldn't even bother to print the 8x8 tiles with the wrong P Zero livery.
LEGO_42141_alt2.jpg

Is there a 3xsomething black frame behind the frontwheels?

2 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Is there a 3xsomething black frame behind the frontwheels?

Looks like a 3x11 black frame

The last picture makes this car look like a total waste of money. I was willing to preorder on my experience with a 2006 Ferrari F1 car which I still own but I don't want this any more, it's hideous and cheap.

that halo needs some work.. it's to high up because they had to put it on top of the suspension arm... maybe some ideas to make it flush with the "ring" in the future

Edited by BennyF

34 minutes ago, R0Sch said:

LMAO. "LEGO sets these days are much more advanced than 25 years ago" :facepalm:

It was quite surprising to me when I saw them saying about freely moving part of the pressure wing - "this is advanced engineering" *huh*

As with Ferrari 42125 this set is only good for bringing new parts especially black panel used in front wing is great to have, more supercars now can be done in LEGO :) I will develop my own MOC then and used only new panels :)

37 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

We should wait to see the real tires of 2022 before saying that there is a mistake. :wink:

You can clearly see the real ones are slicks as I said. And why would Pirelli change their own color coding for 2022? Oh, and the printing is still on the tire and not on the covers.
VytFiUS.jpg

Edited by R0Sch

new 3x? frame will be very interesting part. probably will be very useful like flip flop beams or other frames.