Ngoc Nguyen

42141 - McLaren Formula 1™ Race Car

Set 8674 has 1246 parts and is 1:8 with some empty gaps also. With 42141 having 200 parts more I think it can easily fill in those gaps and still make it 1:8. Formula 1 cars have thin nose, no roof, 1 seat, less body panels so I don't think it will be an empty shell as some compare it to 42125.

Sets nowadays are built very differently. Comparing part count doesn't mean much. 8674 is almost an empty shell especially by modern standards. For example the 42125 Ferrari has 400 more parts than 8070, yet both are in 1:10 scale and 8070 even has a gearbox. 

I hope it's 1:8, but I think it will be 1:10.

Edited by LvdH

Remember that new F1 cars are longer than those from 2004 so to make it in 1:8 scale more parts are needed so if its 1:8 then it might be hard to fill all the gaps. My MOCs in 1:8 have 2200+ parts but I dont build them the LEGO probably ever would.

What I also learnt making 1:10 scale model (which btw has 1500+ parts so very close to LEGO prediction) that the F1 whisbones for suspension are designed for 1:8 scale. They couldnt fit for front suspension and I could fit them in rear by doing some changes at wheels connections so LEGO would have to develop those parts shorter for smaller scale with working suspension.

looks bigger than I expected, if that tiles are 40x40cm. rear wing is pretty steep, so I also think it is a new 2022 car. great, looking forward to it!

14 minutes ago, Peter1999 said:

looks bigger than I expected, if that tiles are 40x40cm. rear wing is pretty steep, so I also think it is a new 2022 car. great, looking forward to it!

It's too cheap and has too few parts to be a 1:8 supercar. IMO it's a 1:10 scale simple intermedium model with suspension and a fake engine.

Edited by Zerobricks

I wonder what wheels they will use. Tumbler wheels fit really well but they're expensive and maybe too big for 1:10 scale. The front wheels of the 89 Batmobile have the right proportions but their thread is ugly. The standard 1:10 wheels (like 42096 or 42125) have way too small tires. Very curious...

38 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

It's definitely gonna be the upcoming MCL36 which is scheduled to be revealed on Feb 11th

Yes. I’d said it on the Technic 2022 discussion yesterday

27 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

It's too cheap and has too few parts to be a 1:8 supercar. IMO it's a 1:10 scale simple intermedium model with suspension and a fake engine.

This model should consider the successor from 42096 Porsche 911 & 42125 Ferrari 488, so the scale shouldn’t be 1:8.

36 minutes ago, LvdH said:

I wonder what wheels they will use. Tumbler wheels fit really well but they're expensive and maybe too big for 1:10 scale. The front wheels of the 89 Batmobile have the right proportions but their thread is ugly. The standard 1:10 wheels (like 42096 or 42125) have way too small tires. Very curious...

My bet is on the tires from the Defender with standard rims in orange colors with black dish covers.

Judging by that teaser, McLaren will use the Gulf livery this season, so there should be some parts in medium blue (or medium azure?)

Edited by Alex P

Or perhaps introducing new big sponsor? I think they'll stick to dominant orange.

Maybe new title sponsor like Aston Martin few days ago?

3 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

In 2013 LEGO made F1 1/8 set 42000 Grand Prix Racer with 1141 parts which cost $130 and upcoming McLaren is much more expensive. So, maybe, we will see 1/8 model.

Edited by FX6000

42 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I think this set will use the 42099 orange.

Did you not see the photo I posted not even half a page up? It's clearly the same orange as the Corvette, GT3RS and Ford Raptor.

In that front wing leak we dont see blue color between Orange and Black so it should be Monaco Livery or car for new season

2 hours ago, FX6000 said:

In 2013 LEGO made F1 1/8 set 42000 Grand Prix Racer with 1141 parts which cost $130 and upcoming McLaren is much more expensive. So, maybe, we will see 1/8 model.

Well, since the new F1 tyres are now 720 mm, if Lego used the 81,6 mm ones from Defender, than scale would be around 1:8,8. So something simillar to the 42096 scale?

54 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Well, since the new F1 tyres are now 720 mm, if Lego used the 81,6 mm ones from Defender, than scale would be around 1:8,8. So something simillar to the 42096 scale?

Maybe:) Egor aka RM8 will tell some details on February 8th. Even on the picture with Lando Norris the car looks quite big 

I don't think that it can be the 2022 car: The design of a car could be approximative but I think that the sponsors must be the real ones.  And the sponsors of a F1 team can change late. It does give almost no time for Lego to make the set.

I wish they would do an F1 car at the same scale and part count as the ucs series.. with proper slick tyres and wider back tyres. Do it right. I think it could be a special set. They could go the whole hog and do a realistic gearbox to fit in the confined space at the back of the car... DRS, pushrod suspension, heave springs.. removeable body work.. It would be a car even none-car people would love.

I do think it's the new 2022 car. The end plates of the front wing mimic a curved shape and not a rectangular like the 2021 car. And if you zoom in, the wheel is to pointy at the top and i'm guessing that's the wing of the wheel imo

Also the rear wing looks like it's curved and not rectangular

Edited by BennyF