Ngoc Nguyen

42141 - McLaren Formula 1™ Race Car

4 hours ago, kbalage said:

And how did you expect them to predict the results when they started to negotiate the licensing deal, probably just around the season start this year? :) 

True, didn’t think about that. I don’t really watch F1, but I’m pretty sure it has been known it would be either Mercedes or Red Bull for a long time. Long enough to discuss licensing deals :wink: 

When I googled McLaren F1, the most common results are about the MCL34M and MCL35M.

EQqPtCWW4AUPc12-725x500.jpg

I think the model in this set will be that model. The bright light orange can make a return and gives us some more panels or liftarms in that color.

3 minutes ago, LvdH said:

True, didn’t think about that. I don’t really watch F1, but I’m pretty sure it has been known it would be either Mercedes or Red Bull for a long time. Long enough to discuss licensing deals :wink: 

They possibly considered the color scheme as well, choosing a team that has their dominant colors aligned with their part inventory or whatever they were planning to produce. 

I don’t think it’ll be the 2022 car, the design of them will be a closely guarded secret. Although we’ve seen a 2022 concept car the car each team makes could look a lot different depending upon their design philosophy and how they interpret the new rules.

as to it being a McLaren, the 2021 car did very well this season and as others say the colour scheme works with Lego and we already have McLaren licence for both Speed Champions and Technic.

Guys, sorry for a stupin question, do we really have confirmation that "Mclaren F1" here is a Formula 1 racing bolid, not a supercar of 1996-2005 years with the same name? 

That is a really good point, but I don't think they would do something like that as a non-18+ set because it would have more appeal that way. I don't know for sure though...

40 minutes ago, Void_S said:

Guys, sorry for a stupin question, do we really have confirmation that "Mclaren F1" here is a Formula 1 racing bolid, not a supercar of 1996-2005 years with the same name? 

The early leak in October said this set is a Formula 1 car. The McLaren info was out a few days ago only.

I am really curious how they wił compare to my MOCs I did for both McLaren from 2021 season :) I wish they could bring new wheels and tires with different width for front and rear.

Edited by Mane

9 hours ago, kbalage said:

And how did you expect them to predict the results when they started to negotiate the licensing deal, probably just around the season start this year? :) 

Could easily be done, the same way graphic T-shirts are done for championship sport teams. Simply make multiple different shirts or sets. Then once the final results are known, sell only the appropriate one and discard the rest. Would seem to be a very costly way of doing things though.

40 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

Could easily be done, the same way graphic T-shirts are done for championship sport teams. Simply make multiple different shirts or sets. Then once the final results are known, sell only the appropriate one and discard the rest. Would seem to be a very costly way of doing things though.

Well I think a LEGO set is different, as it's not something commemorating the winner of the 2021 championship. As you said the cost would be too high, and it'd be a quite odd talk with the teams anyway :D 

7 hours ago, Seasider said:

I don’t think it’ll be the 2022 car, the design of them will be a closely guarded secret.

That's not really an issue. LEGO designed the Land Rover before the real one was publicly revealed. I'm sure one of the biggest toy companies in the world can be trusted with a secret.

7 hours ago, Seasider said:

closely guarded secret

Probably Red Bull stickers:laugh_hard:

7 minutes ago, 1gor said:

McLaren F1 car...

Now who would like to build outlapped cars? :innocent2:

15 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Mclaren won the race at Monza this year, they are not a slow car

14 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Probably Red Bull stickers:laugh_hard:

Maybe it is (as usual) question of license (license with Mercedes-Benz obviously has to do with trucks in Technic theme) and those models (IMHO) are display models, so orange and blue (and black) could be nice combination not overwhelmed with stickers...

Besides that when time passes it doesn't mean that only winning cars have reputation; there are lots of classic Ferraris that look much better than winning cars from the same era / championship 

1 minute ago, Ajpuff5 said:

Mclaren won the race at Monza this year, they are not a slow car

Yes they have 1-2 finish 

If it's a McLaren - we could see orange/medium blue colour combo in line with the Monaco Gulf liverly they used.

GIven the use of medium blue in the monster truck and some of the new parts I am hoping this is the case. 

mmmmm ... it will look very similar to this

Spoiler

26224011976_b0d8aec8ab_c.jpg

Edited by Bony_em

Really hope this is 1:8 as well... Would be nice to have it in the same scale as the supercars whilst being a completely different type of car.

Not complaining about it being a McLaren, I like Norris and Ricciardo. Fingers crossed it brings back the rare 13/14 panels in orange.

This could, but I have a feeling that this could be an empty shell like the ferrari and the porsche before, due to that price point. I miss the times when you could buy a good-looking set for $200 and get lots of functions as well. Now if oyu want that, you have to pay like $370, which is almost double! I hope they will incorporate at least some cooler functions, like a gearbox, HOG door openers, etc. 

16 minutes ago, Scoar Sonander said:

I hope they will incorporate at least some cooler functions, like a gearbox, HOG door openers, etc. 

Hm... steering, suspension, rwd, engine, maybe DRS?

While all of the above listed functions sound nice, I'm expecting a model similar to the 42125. 1:10 scale with basic suspension and a fake engine with 50+ stickers.

Okay, 42000 had 1140ish pieces and worked great out of the box. Besides some crude design points it looked great.

How much more parts are needed for a Proper F1 nowdays?

On 12/18/2021 at 2:03 AM, kbalage said:

Please ignore

Man why can't I delete quote boxes.

Anyway, regardless how well, or bad the original set turns out to be, I am looking forward to picking up some much needed suspension components. Mainly the tow ball arms, every time I try to make a proper open wheel racer, I quickly run out of parts.