Ngoc Nguyen

42140 - App-controlled Transformation Vehicle

Personally I think it's a good choice! It's a great parts pack of electronics, track elements and rubber inserts. The common colours to MOC with are also nice, but I'm still not sure about those Vibrant Yellow parts.

On 2/27/2022 at 5:14 AM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

There's a new problem with PF conversion that I learned of yesterday: When the model flips over, the motor that controls the left track will now control the right track, and vice versa. I can try to switch the direction by connecting the motors to the polar switch, thanks to the suggestion of @R0Sch, but I can't think of any way to change the mapping between motors and tracks.

Maybe it's just more convenient to flip the controller. That way both the direction and the motor mapping will match.

A mechanical solution might be possible, some sort of gravity/weight actuated gear direction switching mechanism.

I dont have this model but ill try to  built it out of existing parts I own though i will probably replace the new gears with 8±24 or 16+16 tooth gear pairs.

What happnes if it flips over , but side-on? (if that makes sense)

Edited by SNIPE

19 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

A mechanical solution might be possible, some sort of gravity/weight actuated gear direction switching mechanism.

At that point, it might be easier to build a flip tank from scratch instead of adapting this one.

20 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

What happnes if it flips over , but side-on? (if that makes sense)

I think the double-stickered panels on the sides are there to prevent that.

42140 Alternative model - Off-road buggy / Rally racer Mk.2

Whan I made world first car type alternative of 42095, I missed servo motor for steering and grip on wheel.

Now we have 42140. It has servo motor and rubber insert for better grip.

And this set is also include 2 soft spring, which can use for make suspension.

Thanks for include 2 C+ L motor, it can use 42124 offroad buggy's app profile!

So I made this. rally racer Mk.2 name is because my 42095 alter's name is rally racer.

274938617_3009483109274948_4514156890767

Function

Drive, steering using 2 C+ L motor(can use in 42124 profile)

Rear suspension

I've managed to find a way to put the PF battery box and receiver into the model. Since there is very little space in the back, I've decided not to include any direction switching or mapping mechanism. When the thing flips over, it's most convenient to just flip the controller.

The only thing left is the test build. I'm gonna use parts from an used 42095 I bought, and get the remaining parts from Bricklink. Unfortunately this set has not been inventoried there yet, so now I'll just have to wait.

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I've managed to find a way to put the PF battery box and receiver into the model. Since there is very little space in the back, I've decided not to include any direction switching or mapping mechanism. When the thing flips over, it's most convenient to just flip the controller.

Alternatively you could also use two PF remotes underside to underside and configured vice versa for directions. The respective remote could be marked with the color of the corresponding side of the vehicle for easier identification. I think I saw something similar with a recent CaDA model.

These colours are awful when it comes to making something ;)

New Tractor in progress :)

What's the part number for the new "toilet paper roll" panel 1x2? Is it already in studio?

EDIT: nevermind, found it, 89679. The brickset was crashing yesterday for me all the time on the part list for this model...

Edited by SaperPL

Apologies if it's already been mentioned, but alongside the soft (lbg) shock absorbers discussed earlier in the "general part discussion" topic, Bricklink also has a new entry for the hard (yellow) shock absorbers, with a slightly updated coil. 
731c07.png731c04.png

I wonder if the stiffness changed, but I would assume it's the same.

Edited by LvdH

1 hour ago, LvdH said:

Apologies if it's already been mentioned, but alongside the soft (lbg) shock absorbers discussed earlier in the "general part discussion" topic, Bricklink also has a new entry for the hard (yellow) shock absorbers, with a slightly updated coil. 
731c07.png731c04.png

I wonder if the stiffness changed, but I would assume it's the same.

I would be interested as well.  But I actually think there might be minute changes?  The segments of long-spaces between the coils are different.  Left image is only long section, whereas the pic to the rt. is two separate, but short sections....

The more streched out coils compress more easily, so it could be to affect how the shock reacts at different load levels. Likely though makes absolutely no difference, lol. Maybe just an easy way to identify newer shocks from older ones, who can know?

TLG should put a "screwdriver required but not included" disclaimer on the box, just like it does for the smart device. Better yet, start including a tiny screwdriver, just like many screwdriver-requiring Chinese toys do.

By the way, I've tested it we reversed gearing for faster speed and Buwizz 3.0

watch 4:53

It feels pretty meh for its price. It's just a one gimmick pony and that's it, similar to the Zetros. At least the Zetros looks cool, has a brand name, has a new mechanic.

I already have a PF mod going, and now that I have the set I'll test in sometime.

Maybe someone will steal this idea and monetize it, who knows but I got an eureka today. Sorry for thread necromancy too.
Currently I don't have the model in my possession, thus I'm theorizing.

Power Functions 42140 is possible with a single receiver and remote + two polarity switches. The only obstacle is receiver visibility when it flips - where to put the receiver.
You can link the flip function with a mechanism attached to an axle connected to two polarity switches. They are then connected to the PF receiver - one on each channel. So in UP position polarity is +, in BOTTOM position polarity is -.
I'm not sure if it work that way, the other idea is pretty mechanical - RND gearboxes for both motors if there's the space. Again - the switches hardlinked to the flip function.

Just like the 42070 two-function at-once switcher - the flip function can swap polarities/directions and let you continue driving.