Ngoc Nguyen

42140 - App-controlled Transformation Vehicle

9 minutes ago, LvdH said:

On LEGO.com, every set as far as I know has a looping 360° video, that’s just a screenshot from a particular angle. 

Yeah, no worries; I didn't realise Lego already had the 360 view on their servers since the set isn't listed on shop.lego in my location yet, so I assumed we were talking about the JB Spielwaren site.

5 hours ago, R0Sch said:

The 2 orange gears are 16z for sure since they sit on the turquoise 3x3 liftarm. Regarding silly colors you are right, but this set has silly colors anyway including beams in the new neon yellow, something that I did not expect and hoped would stay City exclusive.

Of course you might be right. But the fact they are spaced two studs on center only tells us that the number of teeth for both gears adds up to 32 (16+16 or 12+20 for example, assuming the teeth are still the usual mod 1 gear size). But they really don't look like 16t gears to me in that picture. They look new to me. The pinion looks to be 12-14 teeth.

27 minutes ago, allanp said:

But they really don't look like 16t gears to me in that picture.

I totally agree. One of them looks definitely bigger than the other one and the larger gear seems to fit in space of 3x3 studs, so it can't be a 24-tooth gear while it has similar side profile to the 16 tooth gear, so those can't be 12-20 gears... 

But then, why would TLG make new gears just for this case? In my opinion it'd surely work with other combinations of existing gears. Maybe those gears are important for some other and larger set (like the new UCS supercar's gearbox and so on).

Of course I might be completely wrong because of perspective :hmpf:

Edited by MP LEGO Technic creations

I'd put my money on perspective issues or other visual artefacts, but I guess we'll know in a month or so. Any new gear size beside 32T would be a really strange addition though, as every other size up to 40T and fitting the existing geometry already exists.

Nice find with the gears. Though they don't seem like an exisiting mould, since they have a round side... They also don't look the same size, they almost look like straight 12 and 20 tooth gears? Or maybe they are new gears like 14 and 18 tooth, which would be useful in the gearboxes.

EDIT, since they are red, they could also be a verison which can move freely on the alxe without friction.

Edited by Zerobricks

11 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Nice find with the gears. Though they don't seem like an exisiting mould, since they have a round side... They also don't look the same size, they almost look like straight 12 and 20 tooth gears? Or maybe they are new gears like 14 and 18 tooth, which would be useful in the gearboxes.

EDIT, since they are red, they could also be a verison whicn can move freely on the alxe without friction.

You have some good points there; the round "rims" on the edge rule out the existing 16T gears, I think, and you're right, they really don't look like the same size, though I try not to underestimate the power of illusion. I can't see why they would use frictionless ones in this model, though they could be useful elsewhere. I'm somewhat hopeful that you're right about them being a 14/18T gear setup, especially after taking a close zoom-in on the gear in the picture. I count 7 teeth visible on the side of the gear exposed to us, while eyeballing a 16T gear seems to reveal one more tooth to a look from that perspective.

Man I'd get excited about new gear sizes! Especially if they put clutch gear variants of these in the Ferrari--that would make me drool.

Just now, 2GodBDGlory said:

You have some good points there; the round "rims" on the edge rule out the existing 16T gears, I think, and you're right, they really don't look like the same size, though I try not to underestimate the power of illusion. I can't see why they would use frictionless ones in this model, though they could be useful elsewhere. I'm somewhat hopeful that you're right about them being a 14/18T gear setup, especially after taking a close zoom-in on the gear in the picture. I count 7 teeth visible on the side of the gear exposed to us, while eyeballing a 16T gear seems to reveal one more tooth to a look from that perspective.

Man I'd get excited about new gear sizes! Especially if they put clutch gear variants of these in the Ferrari--that would make me drool.

As much as I would be excited to see 14 and 18 tooth gears, they wouldn't fit very well into the existing system. The bigger one fits barely between the beams just like a 20 tooth one, an 18 tooth one would have more space to spare. My money is on the free sliding 12 and 20 tooth straight versions, which are were developed primairily for one of the H2 models. And I think it was the designer's good will to use these instead of normal 12 and 20 tooth bevel gears just to give use something new and unique and to increase availability.

19 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

As much as I would be excited to see 14 and 18 tooth gears, they wouldn't fit very well into the existing system. The bigger one fits barely between the beams just like a 20 tooth one, an 18 tooth one would have more space to spare. My money is on the free sliding 12 and 20 tooth straight versions, which are were developed primairily for one of the H2 models. And I think it was the designer's good will to use these instead of normal 12 and 20 tooth bevel gears just to give use something new and unique and to increase availability.

That's entirely possible, and those gears would be welcome too, but I think it would be a bit odd for them to give up their beveled sides. True, it would very seldom be useful to have them, but it wouldn't hurt, would help distinguish them from other gears, would be useful to allow people with smaller collections to repurpose them, and would probably be easier to design, since the existing profile can be kept. Kind of like on the 20T clutch gear, which rarely needs the bevels (though it probably does more often than this gear would), but kept them anyways. Also, while you're right that these gears wouldn't fit well into the existing system (except maybe in a spacing in a 3x3 L shape, with the hypotenuse being just slightly under 4 studs), the fact that both gears are the same, unusual, color could be meant to denote a new system, which isn't meant to be especially compatible with other gears.

I think I'm arguing more out of vain hope, though, and knowing Lego, I should probably prepare for disappointment. :sceptic:

So, do we know when reviews for this set will be out?

Edited by 2GodBDGlory

Just now, Maaboo35 said:

Sariel is reviewing 42140 later this month.

Thanks!

Do we have a specific date yet, or no?

Just now, 2GodBDGlory said:

Thanks!

Do we have a specific date yet, or no?

Don't think so. I'm not on the phone right now so I can't read his updates.

Edited by Maaboo35

Even for gearbox design, adding more clutch gears makes more sense than adding 14z/18z gears with axle holes.

I say it's just orange 16zs.

4 minutes ago, pleegwat said:

Even for gearbox design, adding more clutch gears makes more sense than adding 14z/18z gears with axle holes.

I say it's just orange 16zs.

No, they are new red 12 and 20 gears, just like the new 1x2 panel extension pieces, you will see :wink:

56 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

No, they are new red 12 and 20 gears, just like the new 1x2 panel extension pieces, you will see :wink:

After again checking the 360° video, I agree that the follower gear is bigger than the driver gear. Good eyes @Zerobricks, good eyes! IMHO one can see it as soon as the follower gear starts to be visible, if the driver gear would be of the same size, it would also start to be visible at this moment, but is still hidden.

So much for the "dumb" recoloring. :blush:

It looks like there might be a 9 or 11 long flip-flop beam in LBG between the sprockets and drive assembly. 

8 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Ordinary or free rotating like blue 20 (introduced with Chiron)?

8 hours ago, johnnym said:

After again checking the 360° video, I agree that the follower gear is bigger than the driver gear. Good eyes @Zerobricks, good eyes! IMHO one can see it as soon as the follower gear starts to be visible, if the driver gear would be of the same size, it would also start to be visible at this moment, but is still hidden.

So much for the "dumb" recoloring. :blush:

Allanp's eyes would like a word with you! :laugh:

I remember back in 93 when they released a hovercraft with a strange new gear. It's full use only became apparent in 94 with 8880.

12 minutes ago, allanp said:

Allanp's eyes would like a word with you! :laugh:

I remember back in 93 when they released a hovercraft with a strange new gear. It's full use only became apparent in 94 with 8880.

I actually got the first set with the new gear (8024) at the time and thought "what a strange new gear, but appears to be pretty useful here"... Never noticed the clutch properties though, as that was the last Technic set I ever got before my years of darkness.

2 hours ago, 1gor said:

Ordinary or free rotating like blue 20 (introduced with Chiron)?

I think dree sliding like the red 8 tooth gear which was introduced in 42009.

16 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

If I'm not mistaken, introduced and only used so far... Possibly, this set with "no-purposed use" will break this situation and make them wider available, not only the set where they will be used on purposed, like it was for 42009.

I'd be delighted to have 12- & 20-tooth sliding gears. Just wondering why TLG would use them for the drivetrain, though - wouldn't they be more fragile than their standard counterparts, just like red 8 vs grey 8?

The most likely reason I see is, as folks have written here before, that they'll be required in a future set and this is an opportunity to more easily have them.

As for being more fragile, well, TLG doesn't always make the sturdiest mechanisms. Example: the rear axle of the Zetros.

2 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

I was hoping more like blue 20tooth, but I'll see what can I do with MOCs.

Thanks

The 20-tooth slip gear is already in blue. Gentlemen, don't you think that these are two of the most common red 16 -tooth slip gears?