Mister Phes

[OFFICIAL] "How to Be a Pirate" LEGO Little Golden Book

UPDATE:

A  new Blog Post with further details and analysis has been published.

Click here to vist blog

----------------------------------------------

The LEGO Group is getting into the Golden Book  game with "How to Be a Pirate" which is to be released on 4th January 2022 5 July, 2022.

lego-pirates-golden-book-how-to-be-a-pirate.jpg

Official Synopsis

A brand-new LEGO® Little Golden Book about using courage and creativity to be a pirate!

Cecilia’s dream of becoming a pirate and sailing the seas comes true when she joins her grandfather’s pirate crew! See what happens in this sweet and silly storybook that’s part of a new line of LEGO® Little Golden Books. The combination of two classics–LEGO Minifigures and Little Golden Books–makes this the perfect book for kids ages 4 and up or collectors of all ages!

Little Golden Books enjoy nearly 100% consumer recognition. They feature beloved classics, hot licenses, and new original stories . . . the classics of tomorrow.

LEGO, the LEGO logo, the Brick and Knob configurations and the Minifigure are trademarks and/or copyrights of the LEGO Group. ©2022 The LEGO Group. All rights reserved.

lego-pirates-book-brickbeards-treasure-hannah-dolan2.jpg

lego-pirates-golden-book-how-to-be-a-pirate-cover.jpg

Preordered on Amazon! Though they said the release date was July 5, 2022 there

1 hour ago, evancelt said:

Preordered on Amazon! Though they said the release date was July 5, 2022 there

Dear sir, could you please provide the link to the Amazon page ye purchased your copy from?

But it seems you're right.

In my searches both, Amazon and Penguin Random House list 5 July, 2022  as the release date.

2 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Will it also include a pirate minifigure?

There has been no mention of minifigures being included.

They were only included with the comic released in 1989 but not the previous hard cover books.

I pre-ordered a copy of the book as well!

I have all of the Ladybird books as well as the Golden Medallion comic, so this was a no-brainer for me to add to the collection.

Thank you for pointing this out, Phes! I pre-ordered two copies, one for the niece and nephew and one for me. :pir-grin: The illustrations look lovely. 

And some new pirate lore already! Looks like the latest Collectable Minifigures pirate is named Cecilia and her grandfather may be Captain Red Beard, since the new BSB is there in the background. IIRC the LEGO Legacy and other mobile games had already given Red Beard three children, so he has quite the family now!

I'm 0/0 on new Pirate set speculation, but I can't help but note the timing of the release: summer of next year. Could we expect some new sets around that time? Or, given the constant rumors of Barracuda Bay being retired, maybe they'll retool and reissue the set to feature the ship model instead.

I've never been this hyped for a Little Golden Book, lol.

Edited by TalonCard

5 hours ago, TalonCard said:

pre-ordered two copies, one for the niece and nephew and one for me. :pir-grin: 

Shouldn't that total 3 copies? Or are you making your niece and nephew share? :pir-oh3:

And some new pirate lore already! Looks like the latest Collectable Minifigures pirate is named Cecilia and her grandfather may be Captain Red Beard, since the new BSB is there in the background.

So you're drawing these conclusions from looking at the cover? And not from a news source I've missed?

I'm 0/0 on new Pirate set speculation, but I can't help but note the timing of the release: summer of next year. Could we expect some new sets around that time?

:pir-wink:

10 hours ago, evancelt said:

Thank ye

2 minutes ago, evancelt said:

Nice blog post!

I'll be sure to follow that up with a review after the book is released. :pir-grin:

15 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Shouldn't that total 3 copies? Or are you making your niece and nephew share? :pir-oh3:

So you're drawing these conclusions from looking at the cover? And not from a news source I've missed?

lol, I think they can learn to share.  :pir-tongue: 
And I think it's a pretty reasonable inference between the cover and the book description; it mentions Cecilia as the main character, the Pirate Girl from the Collectable Minifigures series (with a few minor differences) is on the cover, it mentions her joining her grandfather's pirates, the BSB is right there in the background. It's possible this is disconnected completely from the existing Pirate characters, but it seems like a reasonable assumption to make, especially given how connected Barracuda Bay is to the older storylines.

8 hours ago, TalonCard said:

it mentions Cecilia as the main character, the Pirate Girl from the Collectable Minifigures series (with a few minor differences)

Yeah, the strap is reversed! :pir-grin:

This looks so… so… I mean, ‘wholesome’ is not a word usually associated with pirates, but… :pir_laugh2: :pir-wub:

Looking forward to this one immensely! And to its Castle counterpart, of course. 

1 hour ago, Mr Spielbrick said:

This looks so… so… I mean, ‘wholesome’ is not a word usually associated with pirates, but…

Well, you know that old saying...

"Don't judge a book by its cover"

Cecilia may get up to some really foul deeds - we just don't know yet!

Hahaha, true! Either way, I think it’s absolutely positive that the book looks wholesome. So cute. That’s not bad in my, ah, Little Golden Book. :pir-laugh:

Awesome news.

I know it may sound lame to some, but could you guys also post other links to preorder this book, Amazon is the last place I’d want to spend my money, and shouldn’t be promoted if possible.

Got this in the mail today. I wasn't expecting this, but Cecilia's grandfather is NOT Redbeard, but is in fact...the gray bearded tricorne pirate from the new 3-in-1 ship! Quite random. Redbeard doesn't appear, though many of the crew members from Barracuda Bay do. The Renegade Runner also makes an expected but very welcome cameo.

It's a charming story with some excellent and adorable artwork. Overeager Cecilia joins the pirate crew and tries to do everyone's jobs, causing the rest of the crew to become disgruntled and disinterested. It's actually a pretty savvy workplace parable. :pir_laugh2: Cecilia and her grandfather are great additions to the pantheon of pirate characters.

Of course, I'll have to revise Redbeard's family tree now, definitely jumped the gun there...

Edited by TalonCard

28 minutes ago, TalonCard said:

Got this in the mail today. I wasn't expecting this, but Cecilia's grandfather is NOT Redbeard, but is in fact...the gray bearded tricorne pirate from the new 3-in-1 ship!

Spoiler alert! :pir-oh3:

28 minutes ago, TalonCard said:

Of course, I'll have to revise Redbeard's family tree now, definitely jumped the gun there...

Would you be interested in reviewing this book for a Classic Pirates blog post? Or is that outside your area of expertise?

It's hard to believe how expensive Little Golden Books are now. $5.99... I think they were 89¢ when I was a kid. I could be wrong, but it seems like it's gone up a lot more than inflation.

So how does this new book stack up to the Ladybird books? I saw there's also one called How to Be a Knight. Are they worth buying? I'll have to take a trip to the book store and see if they have them in stock yet.

On 7/6/2022 at 1:31 AM, Mister Phes said:

Spoiler alert! :pir-oh3:

Would you be interested in reviewing this book for a Classic Pirates blog post? Or is that outside your area of expertise?

Sounds like fun! Let me know what is required. :pir-blush:

On 7/6/2022 at 1:54 PM, jodawill said:

So how does this new book stack up to the Ladybird books? I saw there's also one called How to Be a Knight. Are they worth buying? I'll have to take a trip to the book store and see if they have them in stock yet.

I'd say they are worth buying if you're a fan of LEGO media tie-ins. The artwork is really charming and well done, a much better choice than most of the other non-licensed LEGO books out there now. They're not really comparable to the Ladybird books as these seem to be for much younger children, and lean heavily into the LEGO side of things, where the Pirate ship can be rebuilt with bricks and what have you, while the Ladybird books treated the world as a brick-free pseudo historical fantasy. But I do love the teamwork message and the humor of How to Be a Pirate, and in terms of story and LEGO-based art it's more timeless. The Ladybird books are collectables that help build out the Pirate world, but this is much more on brand and better suited for reading with kids. The Knight book is also good, but the story isn't as well thought out as the Pirate one is, IMO.