40 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

This is my idea. Might not be very scale accurate but it might give you some ideas at least

Thanks for thinking along. This has a better height, but it misses the staggered placement of the lights from left to right.

I've put the rear lights aside for a while myself. Usually it helps me to switch to another problem to get insights for the problem at hand. So I started working on the chassis. I think I finally figured out how all the ducts are running next to the tub. There are actually two ducts on top of each other I think. The lower one runs all the way to the back where it spreads out to form this massive diffusor. On top of that is another duct to get more air to the motor. In LEGO terms that second duct is basically free construction space as there won't be any air flowing into engine. So was able to use that space to make some longitudinal and vertical bracing. This is my fourth version of the chassis:

51644850554_60eca198d2_b.jpg

The central tub is pretty much braced from all sides now. One thing I am still not happy with is the bracing of the vertical column below the roof (I see that I even forgot to connect it at the bottom :blush:), but ideally it would also connect somewhere at half height to the big frames behind it. Unfortunately the knobgears for the gear selection are all located there... Next step is to add all the pins to the structure and then build it for real to see how stiff it is.

The gearbox sits snugly below the engine. I think I can manage to bring the gear selector axle to the front, but I need a very small stepper mechanism to operate it I am not sure yet how to do that.

@marcus2388 Wow that looks great! I didn't even know that inverted cone piece existed.

In my opinion the first step in becoming a successful LEGO MOCer is to aquire extensive knowledge of what bricks exist.

Goddamn that Ice Pop part is expensive. Right now there's a whole total of 11 used ones available in all of Bricklink, which you could get for maybe 100€ (depending on delivery costs) and then there's someone selling them new for 10,75€/piece. Getting them new would be like half of the parts cost of the car right there.

On Aliexpress you can get a pack of 30 for ~7 EUR shipping included if u really want them. But if you plan on selling instructions I would rather use the other piece.

55 minutes ago, marcus2388 said:

maybe something like this?

That is meeting the brief almost perfectly. It is a bit long when using spear tips instead of lollipops, but other than that it is as good as it gets. The price of these lollipops is indeed crazy as @howitzer also mentioned. I'll first see if it fits lengthwise before anything else.

Another really good design, Mr. Ottens, but please explain to me how you are going to figure this gap and that flappy piece out :grin:

Screenshot 2021-10-31 181517

Edited by Scoar Sonander

39 minutes ago, Scoar Sonander said:

I second that.

Perhaps some devious plastic bendery? :laugh:

For now I plan to use a 5x7 panel. That is currently the best compromise I can think of.

If I understand that correctly, it may be slightly hard to attach it from the top...  God solution though!

Best of Luck! 

Edited by Scoar Sonander

2 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

For now I plan to use a 5x7 panel. That is currently the best compromise I can think of.

I thought of that too. Pretty good fit imo.

46 minutes ago, Scoar Sonander said:

If I understand that correctly, it may be slightly hard to attach it from the top...  God solution though!

Best of Luck! 

All panels are hard to attach on this one :laugh:

I have been thinking about the rear lights as well, so here's my go at it:

51649945820_2fcef2d055_c.jpg

It looks like it would be too small, and the candle flame piece is only available in trans orange and trans light blue, and is also quite wavy. Still, maybe you will find a use for this :classic: 

Time for another update.

I've been working on this almost all of the time I have to work with LEGO, but progress is slow. Not in a bad way slow, as in I have difficulties with finding the energy to work on it, but in a good way slow, as you would enjoy reading a good book. The car sort of demands to get every detail right. So it is a continuous urge to push the design further.

So let's start with an overview shot:

51690511826_176ec89c3e_b.jpg

I'd say the general shape is starting to come together. There are still a lot of details to work on (like the doors, the interior, etc.), but the basics are in. I have an 8D+N+R gearbox, a V12 and pushrod suspension on both ends that is stiff enough to support the weight of the car, whilst compact enough to fit in that ultratight bodywork. The central tub is more boatlike then before with huge sidepods for the airintakes for the motor.

The front is starting to take shape as well. The challenge here is to minimize the clutter, while keeping the shape correct. The little triangle in front of the window can be opened (albeit there is almost no space below it to put anything in):

51689715942_06ab0c8455_b.jpg

The headlights are one of those details that have cost me already several hours to design. And I am still not happy with them, so some more redesigns will follow. But the detail that has taken by far the most time so far are those pesky rearlights:

51691401165_40f0f29c72_b.jpg

The current compromise is the omit the middle row of lights. This allows for a very clean and compact design. You can also see the big diffusor shape. Furthermore you can see right through till the front with only the suspension arms of the front wheel blocking your sight (of course this is partly due to the fact that the big airguide behind the frontwheel is still missing).

Comments, critique and advice is welcome as always.

Loving the progress. Your compromise on the rear lights looks ok to me if that’s all you can squeeze into what would be the overall area for the light cluster. I assume you’re going to fill the gap between the front fender and the bonnet somehow?

On 10/31/2021 at 2:26 PM, Gray Gear said:

@marcus2388 Wow that looks great! I didn't even know that inverted cone piece existed.

In my opinion the first step in becoming a successful LEGO MOCer is to aquire extensive knowledge of what bricks exist.

I have long thought this.  Additionally, having an extensive knowledge of what bricks have ever existed.  Therefore, folks in their say thirties and forties, who grew up with Lego, and had minimal or no "dark ages" are especially equipped. 

I'm quite curious to see how the various panels are attached so that they are at correct orientation while still being secured well in place. Sculpting these kind of complex, curved bodywork always seemed really intimidating task for myself, yet some people (like the author of this thread) are obviously still able to do it...

Loving the overall proportions, it definetly looks to be going on the right track!

I would critique the A pilars, they seem too curvy. And the headlights appear to be a bit to big and not shaped quite like the original (but as you said, that is something you want to rework).

Keep it up!

Thanks for all the feedback.

On 11/19/2021 at 3:45 PM, Seasider said:

Loving the progress. Your compromise on the rear lights looks ok to me if that’s all you can squeeze into what would be the overall area for the light cluster. I assume you’re going to fill the gap between the front fender and the bonnet somehow?

There will be some extra bodywork between the front fender and the bonnet, but there will be a hole there through which you can see the suspension arms, just like the real thing.

On 11/19/2021 at 5:08 PM, nerdsforprez said:

I have long thought this.  Additionally, having an extensive knowledge of what bricks have ever existed.  Therefore, folks in their say thirties and forties, who grew up with Lego, and had minimal or no "dark ages" are especially equipped. 

Yeah I have a pretty big catalogue in my head that I (subconsciously) use during the designprocess. The headlights for instance are made of a diamond from the RockRaiders series and a headgear crown with 4 tall spikes that was used in an obscure Lord of the Rings set in 2014. Having said that, I do spend also a lot of time browsing through bricklink to find parts that have the right shape (in the right colour). It would be great to have some SW that can search by shape though...

On 11/19/2021 at 5:22 PM, howitzer said:

I'm quite curious to see how the various panels are attached so that they are at correct orientation while still being secured well in place. Sculpting these kind of complex, curved bodywork always seemed really intimidating task for myself, yet some people (like the author of this thread) are obviously still able to do it...

The funny thing is that positioning the panels on this car so far has been relatively straight forward. I usually need to position panels rotated around at least two axis, but here most panels are only rotated along one axis (or even just straight). My approach is always to first try to position the panel in the position I want it to have (using ball joints, illegal techniques and what not to keep it in place) and then work on the structure to fix it in place. That structure then can be refined until it is small enough to be out of sight, strong enough to handle the car and preferably doesn't introduce too many new parts.

On 11/19/2021 at 7:56 PM, IA creations said:

Loving the overall proportions, it definetly looks to be going on the right track!

I would critique the A pilars, they seem too curvy. And the headlights appear to be a bit to big and not shaped quite like the original (but as you said, that is something you want to rework).

Keep it up!

I recognize the A-pillar comment. It is indeed a bit too round. I'll play around with some #4 connectors to get a bit sharper corner at the top. Alternative could be to use flexaxles for looks and some structure behind it for strength. Too bad the A-pillars are black. Red flexaxles against a black structure work much better than black on black I think.