Sign in to follow this  
Reker1000000

7730 real-world locomotive

Hi EB train fans,

I was browsing Google for German steam locomotives, maybe to think about inspiration for 12v steam engine MOCs at some point in the future (got a lot on my bucket list including a 7750, so maybe not for a while). But I found this image of a BR80:

https://www.google.com/search?q=german+steam+engines+db&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwj_oq-fqbnzAhXlgnIEHSpTBZwQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=german+steam+engines+db&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzoECAAQHlDbJ1ixKmC7K2gAcAB4AIABWogB0AGSAQEzmAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=IHFfYf-SFeWFytMPqqaV4Ak&bih=947&biw=1920&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS909US909#imgrc=7N85nt6MPQQ3yM

Looks a lot like the 7730. Anyone else see that? Large blocks in the sides (where the weights are on the 7730), same 0-6-0 wheel configuration, pistons, and especially the tonnage and ladders in the back.

I'd be willing to bet that this was the inspiration for TLG creating the 7730 loc.

Anyways, just thought it was interesting and wanted to share it with you all! Keep 12v alive.

-Reker1000000

It is for sure they based those gray era trains on European steam engines, but they made variations on them. Not sure if they represent real "Baureihe" series trains from Germany, for sure that Germany has had and still has quite an influence on the design and build of real Steam engines in the twentieth century. They even still have a working factory to revise steam engines (https://www.dampflokwerk.de)

7720 --> E69 "Diesel" or a generic locomotive with simmetric hoods, 7760 -->V60 , 7740 --> BR103, 7735 --> Haenschel DHG500...it's a long story :laugh:

Indeed , @JopieK is right - they got some bits here and some bits there, trying to replicate the overall shape of a German locomotive.

In the list of possible DB locomotives, looking at the overall shape, the BR80 is the most similar to 7730 (inverse thinking :laugh:).

German steam locomotives were built with a "family feeling" (scheme colors, cabins...in case of the unified locomotives, also boilers, pistons and so on), and in some cases, different groups ("Baureihe") can be easily confused (and this is good when you need to simplify a shape using pretty standard bricks)

In building 12v trains (speaking of gray era) I always felt Lego had:

• the need to reproduce something realistic (inspired by real models)
  • the need to keep the "play with me" feature like doors, opening roofs and the additional things like little cars, motorbikes, tractors...)
  • the willing to have something cool like working headlights, rods (look at the catalogs, where headlights effect is amplified)
  • the mandatory request from business to use the most standard parts possible and to standardize models (baseplates, wheels)

...and this leads to have big compromises between the real prototype and the final product. So the only thing remaining is the "at first glance" effect and kids "wow" factor (of the 80s) :wub:

I just read the newest issue of rail hobby (a Dutch periodical about model and 'real' trains). 99 6102 from Henschel, a German WW1 army lok:

99%206102.jpg

https://www.hsb-wr.de/Unternehmen/Fuhrpark/Dampflokomotiven/99-6101-99-6102/
For those not proficient in English: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NWE_Nos._6_and_7

Narrow gauge (obviously as that is typical for field train operations as used in WW1). Also very a very 'LEGO-like' locomotive.

2 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Very 7810-ish,  together with BR89!!! :laugh: :laugh::laugh:

Yup. that is what I thought :)

2 hours ago, Reker1000000 said:

Found images of a BR 65 and I'd love to make a MOC of it at some point. Davide, don't make it before me! :laugh_hard:

Go on - let's see what comes out!!! It's a pretty complicated beast! :wub: What big wheels are you going to use? 7750? :laugh:

1 hour ago, Paperinik77pk said:

What big wheels are you going to use? 7750?

Of course! What else would be true to the 12v era while also getting that nice look? It'll be a bit expensive... but I'll do it eventually, keep 12v alive!

On 10/8/2021 at 11:23 AM, Paperinik77pk said:

In building 12v trains (speaking of gray era) I always felt Lego had:

• the need to reproduce something realistic (inspired by real models)
  • the need to keep the "play with me" feature like doors, opening roofs and the additional things like little cars, motorbikes, tractors...)
  • the willing to have something cool like working headlights, rods (look at the catalogs, where headlights effect is amplified)
  • the mandatory request from business to use the most standard parts possible and to standardize models (baseplates, wheels)

...and this leads to have big compromises between the real prototype and the final product. So the only thing remaining is the "at first glance" effect and kids "wow" factor (of the 80s) :wub:

Perfect analysis! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

7 hours ago, Reker1000000 said:

DB V3201 seems like it would be an interesting starting point for a locomotive to model in 12v style with the red motor...

Just saw it - a diesel-pneumatic monster! It's asymmetric, it's full of windows, it's a mess, it's beautiful and more important - it was  a big flop...

...challenge accepted! :pir-love:

But...it would be more a 7750 / 7760 mod than a 7730 one, so we're a bit off topic.

Edited by Paperinik77pk

6 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

it's the little locomotive shown at page 30, 32 and 33 of the 7777 Idea book.

If I'm not mistaken, this engine can be made with parts from the 7730? Or almost all parts from 7730? See this video:

Maybe I'll try and build it this weekend with parts from my copy of 7730.

On 10/14/2021 at 5:44 AM, Paperinik77pk said:

it's full of windows

Imagine if all of those windows on the sides were 1x2x2 black train windows... that would cost a fortune to build! If my count is correct and we're going by grey era standards, there would be 20 1x2x2 and 14 1x1x2 windows!

I just noticed that there's another rebuild of 7730 on pp8, 9 and 11 of the 7777 book, but without a view of the front it'd be quite tricky to replicate.

5 hours ago, SDLgo9 said:

I just noticed that there's another rebuild of 7730 on pp8, 9 and 11 of the 7777 book, but without a view of the front it'd be quite tricky to replicate.

You are right - I've NEVER paid attention to that locomotive!!! Seems pretty simple-looking, maybe to resemble a tipical workhorse. Pictures are really dark, but something could be sorted out.  Needs some love for sure! :pir-love:

Yesss! And the red shunter with the red motor on pages 14 and 15! I don't own this book but now I want to buy it and see what I can make!

4 hours ago, Reker1000000 said:

Yesss! And the red shunter with the red motor on pages 14 and 15! I don't own this book but now I want to buy it and see what I can make!

It's a classic Idea Book  that will complete your collection, it is still affordable, so it is a good investment!:pir-love:

4 hours ago, Reker1000000 said:

You might find my review of the famous 7777 idea book helpful:

https://brickset.com/article/25119