VBBN

REVIEW | 10294 Titanic

Set Rating  

95 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set on a scale of 1 (lowest) to 10 (highest)?

Thank you everyone for your kind comments! I am glad that you have all enjoyed this review. 

On 10/7/2021 at 11:58 AM, astral brick said:

Amazingly detailed review. About the set, considering its cost, weren't you bothered by the harlequin pattern of the internal structure?

Hmm, not sure I understand your question fully; are you referring to how it uses quite a bit of basic stacked-bricks? I have to say I was definitely surprised that there was so little Technic in here, but the build certainly makes for a sturdy final product. I think the internal structures of these super sized sets generally tend to be much more hollow than I would expect, though I do like that it leave potential room for people to modify the interiors more if they so choose. 

On 10/7/2021 at 12:30 PM, Guyinaplaguemask said:

Does anyone have the measurements of this thing in inchrs? Trying to see if it will fit on my table

Height: 17.5 in. (44cm), Width: 6 in. (16cm), Length: 53 in. (135cm)

On 10/7/2021 at 2:26 PM, Wonderpants said:

Do you have the 3k piece Cobi set? Would be interested to see how it measures up alongside this beast 

I do not, though I will definitely update this with a comparison if I ever end up getting it. I definitely find it interesting that COBI was able to use an additional flag on the rear mast, I wonder if they got that licensed?

10 hours ago, mostlytechnic said:

Any estimate on how long it took to build? I know that building for reviews goes at a different pace than normal building (build faster, but then have to stop and take photos and such), but ballpark guess? 

My best guess is it took me roughly a box per day, about 10-12 hours to get through the building each day as well as photography. As you mention that does include time to take photos, so if someone really wanted I'm sure they could blast through it faster. At the same time, many elements of this set, such as the columns of 1x1 plates to build some of the windows, really get tedious and tiresome.

If I was building this with less of a rush to get it ready for the embargo date, I'd probably build it one section (1/6th) at a time. I would think each section could take about 2.5-3 hours. It's worth noting that because the set tends to get repetitive, you definitely get faster as the build goes on since you kinda go into autopilot and know what's coming up next. 

Ive always wanted an official Lego titanic. This is an absolute must buy for me, even if it costs 1k

@VBBN Can I possibly get photos of the parts inventory in the instruction manual (if you are allowed)?

Edited by SNIPE

18 hours ago, VBBN said:

Hmm, not sure I understand your question fully; are you referring to how it uses quite a bit of basic stacked-bricks?

No, I was referring to the fact that, in my opinion, they used too many colors to build the inner skeleton, I know that it may help to follow the instructions and that it won't be visible, however it is still an eyesore, especially considering the price of the set. 

Steamboat Willie was exactly the same, a myriad of colors inside. It made the build a lot easier and more interesting for me, as I have not much experience with Technic pieces and would have struggled a bit if they had used all the same color. I think the Titanic is the same, to make it a bit easier to follow along and more enjoyable.

Awesome review, VBBN. Very much appreciated!!

5 hours ago, astral brick said:

No, I was referring to the fact that, in my opinion, they used too many colors to build the inner skeleton, I know that it may help to follow the instructions and that it won't be visible, however it is still an eyesore, especially considering the price of the set. 

If it is not visible, how is it an eyesore and what does it have to do with the price of the set?  As you allude to, Lego frequently uses a variety of colors on sections of models which are ultimately not visible in order to make it easier to follow building instructions. Nothing new here....

On 10/8/2021 at 1:28 PM, Tenderlok said:

@Polarlicht The Lego model has much more details, but Cobi's overall shape is considerably closer to the prototype IMHO:

1024px-Olympic_and_Titanic_Side_Plan_191

While the Cobi model's hull is arguably closer to the actual thing in terms of shape, I don't see how Lego could create that shape and still keep the smooth, polished look of the hull that the model has. I think that to get the shape would mean sacrificing the hull's clean look and would simply not look as good as what Lego accomplished. Just compare the actual look of the Lego hull vs the Cobi hull. I do quite like the Cobi model and do not dislike how the hull looks, but IMHO the smooth Lego hull looks much better then Cobi's slightly more accurate, but less refined looking hull. 

16 hours ago, Bricstol74 said:

Use your own black parts then

Don't think this is much of a response.  Of course folks think of this.... but after dropping 600 hundred or so bucks the last thing folks want to do is invest more of their own bricks or $$ into this thing.  

I actually am really excited about this build.  First large set that I might get for a while.  Piece of history, and I love that there are so many internal shots/details.  

So we have the length of the model, but can I get the length between the two outermost stands?  Really, to display this on a shelf the wide of the entire build is what is important, but if like on a stand or coffee table one needs this metric as well.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

So we have the length of the model, but can I get the length between the two outermost stands?  Really, to display this on a shelf the wide of the entire build is what is important, but if like on a stand or coffee table one needs this metric as well.  Thanks!

According to Bricksie’s video, just under 34 inches.

On 10/8/2021 at 3:22 PM, Bricstol74 said:

8C2CDFB3-A936-4EDC-93BC-C42A6D83163B.jpeg

I just watched a video on the Cobi set.  IMO, not much of a comparison, but I guess its all what you like.  I think what is special to me is that one can separate all the hulls and see the internals.  Engines, etc.  That is really special to me.  Something that is not an option for the Cobi set.  IMO, easily worth the cost difference.  As others have said, I don't give much stock in the size... in fact smaller would have been better.  but the fact you can open it up and see the internals....... so very cool...

Yeah ... the Cobi set has a more accurate hull shape, but the construction experience, features, and overall set engineering of the Lego set are much better.  The interior cross sections, boilers, engines, brick built portholes and lifeboats, and especially the modularity of the Lego set are worth the higher price and seem to be a good trade for the less accurate hull.

I am not the person to do this.  I do not have the time nor do I think I am talented enough.  But I would love to see a motorized or otherwise mechanized display base that when turn on/powered, cranked, etc. both separates the sectioned hulls and turns the outer hulls at a 90 degree angle so viewers can see the innards.  reverse power, crank, etc. and it sets the model back intact again.  That would seriously be epic.  

I am looking at getting this model.  I may try to reach out to others on the technic forum for advice on how to perform this.  I may even create a separate thread if there is sufficient interest.  I know it is possible; it is just a matter of finding the right folks to collaborate with to get this done.  

Edited by nerdsforprez

On 10/9/2021 at 1:35 AM, SNIPE said:

@VBBN Can I possibly get photos of the parts inventory in the instruction manual (if you are allowed)?

51582255273_26dfc84654_b.jpg

51582936600_195f177819_b.jpg

51582936560_7f9573f366_b.jpg

51582255328_ae25a0bc7a_b.jpg

51582029636_b7dc942f42_b.jpg

51582936585_9b72c49a1e_b.jpg

Here you go! Hope this is what you needed.

On 10/9/2021 at 11:19 AM, astral brick said:

Ah gotcha - eh, it's hard to say. On one hand, I would have no issue if Lego used matching interior colors, I enjoy the process of searching through the parts I need and investigating where they need to go.

On the other hand, you are pouring out 200+ pieces in every set of numbered bags - I often keep in mind that these LEGO For Adults sets aren't just aimed at AFOLS; they are also aimed at adults who are fans of these things (in this case, ships/shipbuilding/The Titanic), but who may not have much experience building Lego. So I can also see why these crazy interior colors is still used as it can make the building experience easier. 

On 10/11/2021 at 4:53 PM, nerdsforprez said:

21 hours ago, TheKingPorg said:

According to Bricksie’s video, just under 34 inches.

Yep that is correct, it's 33.75 inches by my measurement (measuring from the outermost edges of the stands) 

Thanks for posting.   THere is a lot of redundancy here, but that is to be expected in a near 10,000 piece set. 

You know, for all the detractors that have accused TLG for artificially inflating piece count I think this set kinda speaks against that theory.  I think it would have been easy to reach 10,000 pieces by adding some flim-flam, a glacier, something,  - which would make it all that much more marketable.  But they didn't.  

On 10/10/2021 at 4:54 AM, astral brick said:

Because the builder of the set knows.

A primary reason I have heard for why LEGO uses such a myriad of colors inside sets like these are also simply because of costs. If they can use a color that may be slightly cheaper to manufacture, or one that is, perhaps, overstocked in the factory, it lets them reduce the set cost for the consumer and for the company. 

23 hours ago, VBBN said:

One of the good things about this is the variety of parts.  I remember from building the Taj Mahal that there weren’t many different parts…

Edited by VBBN
Removed the string of quoted photos

1 hour ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

A primary reason I have heard for why LEGO uses such a myriad of colors inside sets like these are also simply because of costs. If they can use a color that may be slightly cheaper to manufacture, or one that is, perhaps, overstocked in the factory, it lets them reduce the set cost for the consumer and for the company. 

That's not quite true for all the parts. For example the 1*12 technic brick in blue is used in the big millennium falcon, the Porsche, the republic gunship and now the titanic only. Why should Lego use this brick in blue in sets it doesn't fit in colour wise, while they produce the same brick for example in black at the same time? It would definitely be more cost effective to just produce it just in black. So there has to be another reason. Like an easier building experience.

TLG will most likely use parts in colors which are used in other sets as well, to limit the number of unique parts used per year/season/period. This will reduce storage space. Each part needs a bin in the warehouse.

That is also obvious in Technic sets where some “weird” choices are made.

1 hour ago, Kallego said:

That's not quite true for all the parts. For example the 1*12 technic brick in blue is used in the big millennium falcon, the Porsche, the republic gunship and now the titanic only. Why should Lego use this brick in blue in sets it doesn't fit in colour wise, while they produce the same brick for example in black at the same time? It would definitely be more cost effective to just produce it just in black. So there has to be another reason. Like an easier building experience.

The building experience is indeed another factor :thumbup: 

31 minutes ago, Jim said:

The building experience is indeed another factor :thumbup: 

Which is why some sets have red and green pieces on the interior to help you distinguish left from right in the instruction manual until the model starts coming together properly!

Fabulous review @VBBN. Slightly bothered that the bow is so triangular and pointy, but I have neither the excess funds nor the space to justify buying this set so it's really by the by.