MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

1 hour ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

Yeah it'd be a bit of a stretch, but I'd think the Nebulon would be a massive build. The greebling alone would easily get you to the proper piece count for $530. Just curious, how much do you think a proper UCS Nebulon would sell for? As for the interest, it seemed like there was enough of a niche which voted for the set in the Ideas poll, but obviously votes in a poll don't automatically translate into purchases.

Jabba's sail barge or Death Star II are definitely plausible, too, and I'd buy either of them in a heartbeat. Endor would be cool too, just seems difficult to envision. I hope we get news soon.

A UCS Nebulon probably wouldn’t be that large in terms of mass/price due to both the nature of its shape, and the fact that I can’t see there being much interest in it. I think the maximum is $200 USD (+$10 to $20 for inflation) would make sense, where it has around the same amount of pieces, but due to the nature of the design, has a larger footprint than the A-Wing/Y-Wing/Snowspeeder/Slave I/TIE Fighter.

And even then they might go a bit smaller, since the ship is a lot more niche than any of the other sets I’ve mentioned. 

I can see UCS Nebulon B selling for no more than 350€ - just a gut feeling. I don't think it's the big UCS for this year but I believe it's close (and following that logic I hope TIE bomber is close too - I have much more interest in that set too). 

I still think this year we're getting UCS death star - it fits the profile. A big, recognisable SW vehicle that people, who don't usually take much interest in Lego, would shell out money to with no issue. A lot of these big sets are now targeted towards adults who are "causal" fans or not (yet) fans at all 

I also second what some have said already - Lego isn't yet comfortable with making big UCS prequel sets. We are getting these slowly but we are not there yet. Gunship sales data still needs to be fully analysed - take that how you will 

1 hour ago, Alpha Draconis said:

I can see UCS Nebulon B selling for no more than 350€ - just a gut feeling. I don't think it's the big UCS for this year but I believe it's close (and following that logic I hope TIE bomber is close too - I have much more interest in that set too). 

Why that high though? That would make it tied for the 5th most expensive UCS set yet. The design, while unique, is pretty uninteresting, and other than a few small ships in the background appeared in one scene in the entire Saga. Like you’re saying about the Death Star, UCS sets are for the most part designed to be appealing to casual Star Wars fans who may not have thought much about Lego, and I’m sure most casual Star Wars fans don’t even know what the Nebulon B Frigate is. I can’t see them being able to make money off of such an expensive product that won’t even have much interest in the Lego Star Wars community, let alone Star Wars fans. The only way it would work would be for it to have a limited number released, which just isn’t how Lego operates with big sets like this.

Edited by QuiggoldsPegLeg

Nebulon B would be cool, but I would not pick it up, especially at that price point. Which is okay, not for me. Doesn't mean they shouldn't make it for others in the community. I am still thinking the 530 might be a type for 350. 530 I can see Endor or Geonosis. Maybe an SSD again? 

1 hour ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

Why that high though? That would make it tied for the 5th most expensive UCS set yet. The design, while unique, is pretty uninteresting, and other than a few small ships in the background appeared in one scene in the entire Saga. Like you’re saying about the Death Star, UCS sets are for the most part designed to be appealing to casual Star Wars fans who may not have thought much about Lego, and I’m sure most casual Star Wars fans don’t even know what the Nebulon B Frigate is. I can’t see them being able to make money off of such an expensive product that won’t even have much interest in the Lego Star Wars community, let alone Star Wars fans. The only way it would work would be for it to have a limited number released, which just isn’t how Lego operates with big sets like this.

I believe all three sets in the fan vote were intended to be around the same price point, so I gather LEGO felt there was sufficient demand for a $300-$350 Nebulon B, and/or TIE Bomber (and yes, that's about what a UCS Bomber would run, at least if it's in scale with the UCS TIE Fighter... it's a very dense ship, and would require a metric ton of parts to pull off the twin fuselages).

And, look at Mortesv's Neb-B MOC... it's 5700+ parts. So even if LEGO did one half that size, it would easily command a $350 price point. Sure, there are smaller MOCs (Rubblemaker's looks excellent, and it's 1400) but I think LEGO would want its version to hold its own with the ISD and SSD sets, being a capital ship.

There are plenty of OT fans out there who would pay that much for the medical frigate... I think it's more popular than you may assume (it did come in second in the poll, after all... and the 450 part set they released of it last year sells for $100... easily twice what it's worth in parts).

Edited by jdubbs

While there's definitely room for a Nebulon at some point, I do think LEGO will continue the trend of MBS set every even year. The question is what scene they'll try to adapt in this case. 

6 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

We try to balance things and allow some conversation about shows and movies in this thread. But if you want to start a full on discussion you should do it in the Media thread linked below in my signature.

You're right thank you for the reminder

If the recent Kenobi rumors are true, not to mention what we’ve actually seen via concept art, I’m looking forward to seeing some very cool minifigs eventually.

Edited by The Stud

4 hours ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

I think you underestimate how iconic the Nebulon B is. It has a unique shape that almost anyone would recognise and it’s been around for 40 years. However, US$530 is probably too expensive for a ship that’s not a capital ship like a Star Destroyer, Home One, or Venator.

Brickset still has 75303 listed as a 2022 UCS so it’s possible this year could another one with 3 D2C sets.

7 hours ago, jdubbs said:

I believe all three sets in the fan vote were intended to be around the same price point, so I gather LEGO felt there was sufficient demand for a $300-$350 Nebulon B, and/or TIE Bomber (and yes, that's about what a UCS Bomber would run, at least if it's in scale with the UCS TIE Fighter... it's a very dense ship, and would require a metric ton of parts to pull off the twin fuselages).

And, look at Mortesv's Neb-B MOC... it's 5700+ parts. So even if LEGO did one half that size, it would easily command a $350 price point. Sure, there are smaller MOCs (Rubblemaker's looks excellent, and it's 1400) but I think LEGO would want its version to hold its own with the ISD and SSD sets, being a capital ship.

There are plenty of OT fans out there who would pay that much for the medical frigate... I think it's more popular than you may assume (it did come in second in the poll, after all... and the 450 part set they released of it last year sells for $100... easily twice what it's worth in parts).

Maybe it was more prominent back in the 80s when The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi first came out, because when I think of iconic ships in Star Wars, the Nebulon B isn’t even in the top 20 for me. Although I’m not sure why it would be more popular back then, because AFAIK there wasn’t any toys of it and things that take up a smaller amount of screen time would be less known because people didn’t have a way to watch back the movie beyond buying a VHS a year later. 

As an obsessive Star Wars fan I obviously know what the Nebulon B is now, but as a kid I definitely didn’t notice the ship until I’d been well into my fandom. (I knew most of the names of the minor characters in the movies at that point)

4 hours ago, Paul11283652 said:

I think you underestimate how iconic the Nebulon B is. It has a unique shape that almost anyone would recognise and it’s been around for 40 years. However, US$530 is probably too expensive for a ship that’s not a capital ship like a Star Destroyer, Home One, or Venator.

Brickset still has 75303 listed as a 2022 UCS so it’s possible this year could another one with 3 D2C sets.

I think 75303 was the rumoured set number for the UCS Gunship way back when, but that didn’t end up being the case. It’s almost certainly just a skipped set number at this point. Brickset probably forgot to remove it after the sets were revealed. 

Edited by QuiggoldsPegLeg

12 minutes ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

As an obsessive Star Wars fan I obviously know what the Nebulon B is now, but as a kid I definitely didn’t notice the ship until I’d been well into my fandom. (I knew most of the names of the minor characters in the movies at that point)

Same for me. Nebulon B Frigate is definitely too insignificant for a mainline and/or UCS set these days. 

19 minutes ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

Maybe it was more prominent back in the 80s when The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi first came out, because when I think of iconic ships in Star Wars, the Nebulon B isn’t even in the top 20 for me.

Iconic ships in general, I would agree, but in terms of capital ships I'd say it's right up there, certainly in the OT era. There's the ISD, SSD, Tantive IV, and I'd argue the Nebbie is the next most recognisable (admittedly out of a small pool). Even including the PT I'd only place it behind the Radiant VII and a Venator.

That said, I do think it's more likely to be around the 350 price mark. I'm leaning towards the 530 set being a death Star re-re-release, as I think that slightly odd price point roughly lines up with the inflation since the last one (which was 2016 IIRC?).

1 hour ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

Maybe it was more prominent back in the 80s when The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi first came out, because when I think of iconic ships in Star Wars, the Nebulon B isn’t even in the top 20 for me. Although I’m not sure why it would be more popular back then, because AFAIK there wasn’t any toys of it and things that take up a smaller amount of screen time would be less known because people didn’t have a way to watch back the movie beyond buying a VHS a year later. 

I think 75303 was the rumoured set number for the UCS Gunship way back when, but that didn’t end up being the case. It’s almost certainly just a skipped set number at this point. Brickset probably forgot to remove it after the sets were revealed. 

I’m guessing you didn’t grow up in the 90s when there was only the OT. Nebulons were everywhere, in a lot of the EU books, the X-wing games and there were heaps of model kits and toys. I’ll give you that it’s obviously less prominent for the prequel generation but even for the design and build techniques alone it is more than interesting enough for a UCS set.

Last year I also assumed 75303 was just another skipped set number, but it’s also listed in the information page on here as a 2022 set and Lego seems to have stopped skipping set numbers. Both 2019 and 2021 had 3 D2C sets as well.

1 hour ago, Paul11283652 said:

I’m guessing you didn’t grow up in the 90s when there was only the OT. Nebulons were everywhere, in a lot of the EU books, the X-wing games and there were heaps of model kits and toys. I’ll give you that it’s obviously less prominent for the prequel generation but even for the design and build techniques alone it is more than interesting enough for a UCS set.

Last year I also assumed 75303 was just another skipped set number, but it’s also listed in the information page on here as a 2022 set and Lego seems to have stopped skipping set numbers. Both 2019 and 2021 had 3 D2C sets as well.

I want to say that probably almost no one cares but they did want to release Nabulon B as a UCS set and probably at the same price as the Gunship so I stand corrected..

... I still think they should have just done the Gunship as a 200ish minifig scale set.. UCS sets don't have to be oversized per se..

The Nebulon-B in universe is 300 m long, exactely double the length of the Tantive IV. A UCS set could be one where the same scale is maintained, meaning approximately 150 studs which equals 120 cm. Rather long, but well displayable. Still, I expect Lego would go for something slightly smaller, maybe 80 cm. I would buy it for around $300-350.

Let's get back on track everyone. There is no substantiated rumor that we are getting a Nebulon B. So right now it's just wish-listing/speculation.

10 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Iconic ships in general, I would agree, but in terms of capital ships I'd say it's right up there, certainly in the OT era. There's the ISD, SSD, Tantive IV, and I'd argue the Nebbie is the next most recognisable (admittedly out of a small pool). Even including the PT I'd only place it behind the Radiant VII and a Venator.

I had to google what a Radiant VII was, so I think it might surpass that one lol.

I still think $530 is a typo for $350. I don't think we've ever seen a set for $530, and it's such an odd price point. Adversely, we've had several for $350, especially recently

21 hours ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

like I said - just a gut feeling. You have to take into account the griebling, the weird shape, the model stability/sturdiness, the stand to support the weird proportions ... which would somewhat increase piece count and price point. Of course it could be sold for less but I feel 350€ would be max price

But that's as much as I'll elaborate - it truly is just a speculation without much basis and certainly not in line with any set rumoured for this year. But I'd keep an eye out in the following years

On 2/16/2022 at 4:56 PM, Batman1 said:

I think he did confirm we are getting an AT-TE, it just wasn’t clear which set the AT-TE was. 

You’re probably right about the 50$ set. It seems just like the information from Promobricks, it’s relatively safe to guess there will be a Gunship and some sort of droid set to complete the lineup.

I am still most interested to know, what the 530$ set will be this year. It seems like Promobricks might have more information than they’re currently revealing and it’s very interesting they seem to think the 530$ is a geonosis arena. Although it’s something I would love to see, it seems unexpected from Lego at this point. But who knows, I also wouldn’t have predicted an 800$ AT-AT!

Im thinking that $50 set could be the republic fighter tank previously rumored 

I think it's worth noting that $530 was probably not a typo. It was probably written as $529.99 originally, and just shortened to $530 since that's how most people would write it.

1 hour ago, blujay563 said:

I would love this to be true, but I think this was just a rumour as the other rumoured sets spread by this person turned out to be untrue. 

If we do end up getting a Episode 2 wave of sets as part of the summer wave, I think this 50$ set will be some type of Droid vehicle.

On 2/13/2022 at 3:28 PM, AD_Bricks said:

Edit: Just noticed Fennec has new arm printing! I wondered whether they’d make it accurate or just reuse the arms from the light cruiser but they went the extra mile!

Does she? From the images that I have seen, it appears that she has the same arm printing as she does in the Light Cruiser. Also, the existing arms appear accurate to me, so I am not quite sure to what you are referring. 🤔

1 hour ago, blujay563 said:

14 minutes ago, Batman1 said:

I would love this to be true, but I think this was just a rumour as the other rumoured sets spread by this person turned out to be untrue. 

If we do end up getting a Episode 2 wave of sets as part of the summer wave, I think this 50$ set will be some type of Droid vehicle.

These are excellent examples of wishlisting. Let's keep that to the Wishlist thread please.

3 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

These are excellent examples of wishlisting. Let's keep that to the Wishlist thread please.

I specifically mentioned the republic tank was rumored? Even if it's not true it's not wishlisting to mention a possible leak

Edited by blujay563