MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

It's currently back in the US! Who knows how long...

and the gunship is now out of stock. I guess that's a good sign for prequel UCS sets?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ForgedInLego said:

and the gunship is now out of stock. I guess that's a good sign for prequel UCS sets?

Only Lego knows. It can be out of stock because there was a high demand and it sold well or it can be out of stock because Lego produced/produces the set in low numbers.

( could also be transport issues at the moment. There is a world wide shortage of shipping containers available for booking, no?)

Edited by Yperio_Bricks
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny thing happened to me this weekend.  I happened to be at a local toy store (will not name) and they happened to have the entire January wave of Lego sets out and for sale.   I was able to grab 2 of the snowtrooper battle packs and the AT-ST.  And with the snow we got I am hoping that I can build a little outdoor Hoth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

It's currently back in the US! Who knows how long...

Just bought it, very excited! My excitement was somewhat dampened by the fact that in my rush to check out I hadn't logged in to my account, and when I input my account info after it prompted me to do so to receive my points (which, that's anywhere between $35 and $70 of lego if I remember correctly, so not insignificant), said there was an error. I contacted customer service so we'll see if I get those points.

19 hours ago, CodeNameGoldMember said:

And the Ahsoka Brick Headz which might honestly be the first one I buy.

Ah, I forgot about the brickheadz. It looks very nice, I'm glad they really captured the detail on it. I don't collect brickheadz but in terms of quality it's definately the standout of the wave.

 

I also find it funny that this wave has been accused of being so OT heavy for so long and yet when you look at the rundown it's 3 OT sets that are clearly tying in to a UCS set, a prequel UCS tie-in, a clone wars set, and a mandalorian set

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Just bought it, very excited! My excitement was somewhat dampened by the fact that in my rush to check out I hadn't logged in to my account, and when I input my account info after it prompted me to do so to receive my points (which, that's anywhere between $35 and $70 of lego if I remember correctly, so not insignificant), said there was an error. I contacted customer service so we'll see if I get those points.

Congrats! Sorry on the points, but I am sure LEGO will get your sorted. They typically don't miss on Customer Service (CS) items. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ForgedInLego said:

and the gunship is now out of stock. I guess that's a good sign for prequel UCS sets?

Given that it's a few months after it released, where it was in stock for most if not all of it...meh. It seems to be doing pretty average for a UCS set, which honestly isn't bad at all, since if it sells just about as well that tells lego that prequel UCS should sell fine. Really the only time running out of stock tells you anything is if it's right after a set released, and even then, it's not guaranteed to be accurate. Lego is notoriously hesitant to give information on sales, usually the most we see is their top X number of themes on the report they do. You can tell if a set does REALLY well if it consistently goes out of stock shortly after releasing (such as the new AT-AT), or it does really poorly if it goes on sale quickly after releasing (such as the Queer Eye set or the Vidiyo line), but since those are only a small fraction of sets, it can be hard to tell how well a set does if it isn't an extreme.

TLDR we pretty much can't tell but going out of stock a few months after release makes me think it's selling at about the same rate as the standard ucs.

Just now, McMurder_them_softly said:

Congrats! Sorry on the points, but I am sure LEGO will get your sorted. They typically don't miss on Customer Service (CS) items. 

Thanks! Yeah, they're pretty good with it. I've gotten 2 parts sent to me from them because the original prints were wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I also find it funny that this wave has been accused of being so OT heavy for so long and yet when you look at the rundown it's 3 OT sets that are clearly tying in to a UCS set, a prequel UCS tie-in, a clone wars set, and a mandalorian set

Not sure if that's a fair characterization since the CW set is a brickhaed and was voted by the fans, the prequel set isn't a UCS tie-in since the Gunship isn't minifig scale/the fig is reused, and the Mandalorian set is a micro fighter. 

Also, the gripes about the 1H of 2022 being OT were because in addition to the 3 OT Jan sets we're also getting 3 OT diorama style sets, an OT UCS set, and an OT helmet (adding up to a total of 8). All while the Bad Batch gets 0, TBOBF gets 2, and Mando gets 3 (MF, helmet, and Death troopers). The ratio doesn't make any sense considering the latter 3 are popular shows from 2021-2022 and the OT is nearly 45 years old and the locations/ships being made aren't in new media. I get it sells and all but some people want something new for a change, and before you type your special I already see the replies saying we drag the same discussion every couple of days but when you say stuff like "I also find it funny that this wave has been accused of being so OT" without giving context you will end up seeing the same thread.

Now from your statement, I'm guessing you're cool with that type of breakdown but I'm genuinely wondering if other people like the OT majority 1h year waves we've been getting as of late and if you want new stuff represented or more OT? I guess I've always just assumed people want new things cause I do since so many people keep defending Lego's set choices I feel like I should ask and no longer assume. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

Now from your statement, I'm guessing you're cool with that type of breakdown but I'm genuinely wondering if other people like the OT majority 1h year waves we've been getting as of late and if you want new stuff represented or more OT? I guess I've always just assumed people want new things cause I do since so many people keep defending Lego's set choices I feel like I should ask and no longer assume. 

For my part I'm fine with OT having the majority of 1HY releases as long 2HY is a bit more diverse, which has been the case lately. While a lot of the 1HY sets have been solid (my X-wing and TIE from last year still get regular outings), the 2HY sets have been a bit more interesting IMO. That said I'm not one to collect one era over another, I just buy whatever I like the look of irrespective of where it sits in canon. If a certain set or vehicle doesn't exist, that's fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

Now from your statement, I'm guessing you're cool with that type of breakdown but I'm genuinely wondering if other people like the OT majority 1h year waves we've been getting as of late and if you want new stuff represented or more OT? I guess I've always just assumed people want new things cause I do since so many people keep defending Lego's set choices I feel like I should ask and no longer assume. 

I for one would always prefer something new — from any era — over something that has been released before. But I say that with the understanding that the majority of sets that LEGO releases from pre-existing media (regardless of trilogy/era) are going to be rehashes of previous sets. When and if LEGO puts out another PT wave, folks need to be prepared for most of those sets to be things we've already seen before, or variations on them... this is the case with most OT sets we get, and was the case with the last PT wave we got. At this point, getting even one all-new vehicle or location should be viewed as a reason to celebrate. 

I am reasonably happy with the January sets that LEGO has revealed. If these sets had to be OT, there are many battle packs I would have preferred over snow troopers (Mud, Shore, Range, Remnant, Scout, or Endor Troopers would have been better) but the timing certainly makes sense given the release of the UCS AT-AT... and the speeder bike build is LEGO's best yet (and better even than many of the MOCs out there, held together by a thread) so at least it's not 4 figs (only 2 of them useful) with a throwaway build. The AT-ST is at least an attempt to do something new with a vehicle that has been released a lot over the last few years, so I count it as "newish" if not outright "new". And time will tell with the accessory packs, but they're never going to be anything but re-runs of existing molds/printed parts/figs... if you're expecting more, well, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. 

And, this isn't so much "defending LEGO's choices" as it is living in the real world... at the end of the day, LEGO is fairly predictable in its choices. I don't see much point lamenting that things aren't otherwise, just because I want them so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who just got out of his dark age and got some new star wars sets, I am happy lego remade the x wing and tie fighter and at a more affordable price, I even like this scale more, much better for display and holding. I hope we get more vehicles in this new scale from now on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I also find it funny that this wave has been accused of being so OT heavy for so long and yet when you look at the rundown it's 3 OT sets that are clearly tying in to a UCS set, a prequel UCS tie-in, a clone wars set, and a mandalorian set

Prequel pack is the opposite of a tie-in cause it ruins the exclusivity of the figure and includes 2 shinies that are not meant to go with oversized gunship.  Also don't think it's fair to count a brickhead as a set.

While TCW and PT fans have 1 accessory pack and a brickhead they most likely don't collect from a character they didn't vote for, OT fans will get a battle pack, accessory pack, AT-ST, a helmet, 3 quote diorama sets, UCS landspeeder, Master builder set and most likely more stuff in the summer wave like a snowspeeder or whatever rebels used (i don't know OT stuff). I think we can certainly say it's another OT centric year where LEGO is milking older fanbase and making just enough of prequel stuff to have prequels collectors not quit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

Now from your statement, I'm guessing you're cool with that type of breakdown but I'm genuinely wondering if other people like the OT majority 1h year waves we've been getting as of late and if you want new stuff represented or more OT? I guess I've always just assumed people want new things cause I do since so many people keep defending Lego's set choices I feel like I should ask and no longer assume. 

I'm going to preface this by saying that I enjoy all SW media, but do tend to prefer the OT and OT-adjacent era (RO, Solo, Rebels, Mandalorian, etc).  That said, I buy sets/merch and watch shows/movies from prequels/OT/sequels.  

For me, I'm okay with it.  If the pattern continues of an OT-centric winter wave, and a mixed wave in the summer, I'm perfectly happy with it.  It's unrealistic to assume that they aren't going to have OT stuff on shelves at all times.  They're proven sellers, and there are certain vehicles or characters that frankly should be available at all times.  You're always going to have new buyers, whether it's kids who are just getting to the age where they're interested in LEGO, adult fans revisiting LEGO or getting into it for the first time, or people that aren't even LEGO collectors but see an X-Wing at Target and think "Hm, that would be cool on my desk" or whatever.  Sets like the Millenium Falcon or X-Wing should definitely be available as much as possible.  For those that are collectors of LEGO, it gets boring, I realize, but that's not everyone.  I've been buying LSW sets for a long time, I believe my first set was purchased new in 2006, so in that span, I've seen dozens of remakes of sets, but I would say that I'm in the minority when it comes to who is buying sets.  I'd bet most people haven't been buying LSW stuff for that long.  So, in that way, remakes don't necessarily bother me.

Additionally, part of the reason that remakes don't bother me is because I don't really feel obligated to have to buy stuff from every wave or anything.  I've got a pretty decent sized collection of sets in general, and in the past year, had to downsize/clean out a bunch of stuff, resulting in me donating and/or selling off sets.  I was discovering that there were a number of things that I just didn't really need, and that I was pretty satisfied with my collection as it stood.  There's a few vehicles or locations that I'd definitely buy if they came out, but if it never comes out, it is what it is.  That attitude might be more of just me, though, and I know that's not representative of everyone.  I'm kind of the type where typically there will be one or two releases in a year that I'm super excited for and will get almost instantly (this year was the $40 Tumbler, last year was the Cantina, three years ago was Cloud City) and the rest I'll either get eventually or over time might decide that I don't need it as much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PreVizsla said:

Prequel pack is the opposite of a tie-in cause it ruins the exclusivity of the figure and includes 2 shinies that are not meant to go with oversized gunship.  Also don't think it's fair to count a brickhead as a set.

While TCW and PT fans have 1 accessory pack and a brickhead they most likely don't collect from a character they didn't vote for, OT fans will get a battle pack, accessory pack, AT-ST, a helmet, 3 quote diorama sets, UCS landspeeder, Master builder set and most likely more stuff in the summer wave like a snowspeeder or whatever rebels used (i don't know OT stuff). I think we can certainly say it's another OT centric year where LEGO is milking older fanbase and making just enough of prequel stuff to have prequels collectors not quit.

To be honest I didn't think it was a tie-in but said so in case people went "hey that's not fair, the pack is only there as a tie-in!!!". Ironically I'm getting the opposite complaint. 

It seems unfair to count the rest of the year for the OT but not the PT, given that most of the other sets are completely unknown, and "a character they didn't vote for"...what do you mean by that at all? I'm pretty sure the fan-vote character was the most voted, I doubt that MandR managed to entirely sway it to jar jar like he tried too.

14 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

Not sure if that's a fair characterization since the CW set is a brickhaed and was voted by the fans, the prequel set isn't a UCS tie-in since the Gunship isn't minifig scale/the fig is reused, and the Mandalorian set is a micro fighter. 

Also, the gripes about the 1H of 2022 being OT were because in addition to the 3 OT Jan sets we're also getting 3 OT diorama style sets, an OT UCS set, and an OT helmet (adding up to a total of 8). All while the Bad Batch gets 0, TBOBF gets 2, and Mando gets 3 (MF, helmet, and Death troopers). The ratio doesn't make any sense considering the latter 3 are popular shows from 2021-2022 and the OT is nearly 45 years old and the locations/ships being made aren't in new media. I get it sells and all but some people want something new for a change, and before you type your special I already see the replies saying we drag the same discussion every couple of days but when you say stuff like "I also find it funny that this wave has been accused of being so OT" without giving context you will end up seeing the same thread.

Now from your statement, I'm guessing you're cool with that type of breakdown but I'm genuinely wondering if other people like the OT majority 1h year waves we've been getting as of late and if you want new stuff represented or more OT? I guess I've always just assumed people want new things cause I do since so many people keep defending Lego's set choices I feel like I should ask and no longer assume. 

As said above, I only said gunship tie-in as I assumed if I didn't people would say I was being unfair and that the set only released because it was a tie in.

 The OT is nearly 45 years old, yes, and yet with the possible exception of the mandalorian it's still by far the most popular area of SW. As for the dioramas, we know that lego likes to test things with the OT due to sales before experimenting with other eras (and with the UCS gunship and mando helmet, we see that they're willing to test into those eras)

I definately like the current layout of a smaller and more experimental in terms of set design 1hy focused on the OT with a larger 2hy more varied with eras and mainly comprising standard sets. I also think it's an important distinction that "new stuff" and OT are not mutually exclusive. This is our first trash compactor set under $400 coming, and there are still some big OT things that have either never released or it's been so long that they might as well not exist (try to tell me the only official system interceptor and bomber are fine as interpretations go). I want sets from all eras (I think I have about 8000 posts mentioning my desire for a new AT-TE, and I haven't been quiet about wanting a UCS black one either), but I like the current method they have in terms of when they release sets from those eras.

9 hours ago, Mr No said:

As someone who just got out of his dark age and got some new star wars sets, I am happy lego remade the x wing and tie fighter and at a more affordable price, I even like this scale more, much better for display and holding. I hope we get more vehicles in this new scale from now on. 

I think you could count slave one in this scale, and I do hope we get a b-wing and some other TIES in this scale as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I've been buying LSW sets for a long time, I believe my first set was purchased new in 2006, so in that span, I've seen dozens of remakes of sets, but I would say that I'm in the minority when it comes to who is buying sets.  I'd bet most people haven't been buying LSW stuff for that long.  So, in that way, remakes don't necessarily bother me.

Additionally, part of the reason that remakes don't bother me is because I don't really feel obligated to have to buy stuff from every wave or anything. 

Agree with this. I've been collecting SW sets since I was a kid (so for 15+ years), and there's still sets I don't have because I just didn't get around to buying them at the time. I'd never bought a TIE fighter before this year (although one of my siblings did have the one from 2005), so this was my first one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Agree with this. I've been collecting SW sets since I was a kid (so for 15+ years), and there's still sets I don't have because I just didn't get around to buying them at the time. I'd never bought a TIE fighter before this year (although one of my siblings did have the one from 2005), so this was my first one.

Same here for the X-Wing (and the TIE, and the Falcon, actually, I just haven't picked any of those up yet...TIE might be next on my list!).  I was going to mention it in my original post, but it also seems like sets have a bit shorter shelf life now, leading to more re-releases.  I remember the 2005 X-Wing stuck around at Toys R Us here in the US for what felt like 5-6 years.  I feel like now, other than D2Cs and for whatever reason the Darth Vader's Castle that's been on backorder for like three years at Shop At Home, 2 years seems to be about the maximum they'll keep a set around on shelves, even if they pull it, wait a year, and then release a nearly identical model in its place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Same here for the X-Wing (and the TIE, and the Falcon, actually, I just haven't picked any of those up yet...TIE might be next on my list!).  I was going to mention it in my original post, but it also seems like sets have a bit shorter shelf life now, leading to more re-releases.  I remember the 2005 X-Wing stuck around at Toys R Us here in the US for what felt like 5-6 years.  I feel like now, other than D2Cs and for whatever reason the Darth Vader's Castle that's been on backorder for like three years at Shop At Home, 2 years seems to be about the maximum they'll keep a set around on shelves, even if they pull it, wait a year, and then release a nearly identical model in its place.

Oh yeah, the Falcon is another one I don't have... :laugh:

For the stock point I wonder if it's simply LEGO tightening up their logistics. I also remember being able to pick up sets long after they'd been retired (Titan XP for 40CHF 6 years after it disappeared from the LEGO catalogue being a particular highlight), but certainly that seems to happen less often these days. That said this was in often smaller independent toy shops, and those are definitely more scarce nowadays than they were 10 or 15 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

It seems unfair to count the rest of the year for the OT but not the PT, given that most of the other sets are completely unknown, and "a character they didn't vote for"...what do you mean by that at all? I'm pretty sure the fan-vote character was the most voted, I doubt that MandR managed to entirely sway it to jar jar like he tried too.

It is unfair from me, but there are ton of OT sets already put into the system with leaked description and not a single word of a PT set except that random Windu tank rumor. Only 11 sets  and a calendar need to be revealed (maybe some random secret set pops out too) and OT is already on 8 sets while PT, TCW and ST are on 1 brickhead and 1 accessory pack and there is no way those 11 will go into their favor when we can already assume LEGO won't make a master builder set for anything other than OT and there are multiple shows that need to be covered + rebels needs a vehicle with all those imperial vehicles. 

I actually think he did, not many people care about Brickheadz and star wars only had 6571 votes (Ryan's video had 50k views). There are a ton of characters in Star Wars and votes have been scattered across thousands of characters, while Jar-Jar had united people voting for it so if even 5% of those people that watched voted for it he 100% won.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

While TCW and PT fans have 1 accessory pack and a brickhead they most likely don't collect from a character they didn't vote for, OT fans will get a battle pack, accessory pack, AT-ST, a helmet, 3 quote diorama sets, UCS landspeeder, Master builder set and most likely more stuff in the summer wave like a snowspeeder or whatever rebels used (i don't know OT stuff). I think we can certainly say it's another OT centric year where LEGO is milking older fanbase and making just enough of prequel stuff to have prequels collectors not quit.

2 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

It is unfair from me, but there are ton of OT sets already put into the system with leaked description and not a single word of a PT set except that random Windu tank rumor. Only 11 sets  and a calendar need to be revealed (maybe some random secret set pops out too) and OT is already on 8 sets while PT, TCW and ST are on 1 brickhead and 1 accessory pack and there is no way those 11 will go into their favor when we can already assume LEGO won't make a master builder set for anything other than OT and there are multiple shows that need to be covered + rebels needs a vehicle with all those imperial vehicles. 

Please don't take this the wrong way, but have you considered switching hobbies? Collecting something else, that is more to your liking? Because it seems like you are increasingly negative about LEGO and its products, resentful of fans of other eras/trilogies, and unable to muster even the slightest enthusiasm for what might be coming in the future.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, and entitled to express it ad infinitum in this forum... but seriously, do you actually enjoy LEGO Star Wars? I ask this sincerely, as someone who has at various points lost enthusiasm for hobbies so completely that my dissatisfaction with them was causing me actual stress. Ultimately, I decided the best path forward was to leave those hobbies behind and move on to something that actually "sparked joy", as they say... 

2 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

I actually think he did, not many people care about Brickheadz and star wars only had 6571 votes (Ryan's video had 50k views). There are a ton of characters in Star Wars and votes have been scattered across thousands of characters, while Jar-Jar had united people voting for it so if even 5% of those people that watched voted for it he 100% won.  

Here's what I don't get: you readily admit that CW/PT fans most likely don't collect Brickheadz, so why would they (or should they) be voting on for a Brickheadz character in the first place? Is it just to cater to the whims of a YouTube personality? Or to prove some kind of snarky point, at LEGO's expense? If you don't care about Brickheadz, what does it matter that another character, other than the one being advanced in a YouTube campaign, is the one that ends up winning?

Given the overwhelming popularity of the character that did win (not just among PT/CW fans, but all SW fans), that character's continued appearance in media since the CW (Rebels, CW Season 7, Mando, and her own show next year), and the overwhelming unpopularity of the character being advanced by said YouTube personality (not to mention his absence from virtually all SW media of the last 20 years), is it really so surprising that Ahsoka won, over Jar Jar? It seems here that logic is being pushed aside to prop up some kind of conspiracy theory... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we actually know what the summer wave is? Also, when should we get reveals for the March sets? Like trash compactor, etc. 

On the new scale ships, I would love if we got a Republic Gunship and Naboo Starfighter in this scale, also a new Vulture droid would be great. I guess a snowspeeder should come soon too. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr No said:

Do we actually know what the summer wave is? Also, when should we get reveals for the March sets? Like trash compactor, etc. 

On the new scale ships, I would love if we got a Republic Gunship and Naboo Starfighter in this scale, also a new Vulture droid would be great. I guess a snowspeeder should come soon too. 

 

We don't.

It would be reasonable to expect Obi-Wan Kenobi and Andor sets tho.

March wave consist of three helmets, a TBoBF set, and the Dark Troopers set.

You must be talking about the May wave, which consist of Dagobah set, Trench Run, another TBoBF set, and an unknown set.

Garbage Compactor is coming, but we don't know the release date, price, piece count, and even the set number.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

We don't.

It would be reasonable to expect Obi-Wan Kenobi and Andor sets tho.

March wave consist of three helmets, a TBoBF set, and the Dark Troopers set.

You must be talking about the May wave, which consist of Dagobah set, Trench Run, another TBoBF set, and an unknown set.

Garbage Compactor is coming, but we don't know the release date, price, piece count, and even the set number.

Trench run? Is this one of those diorama sets? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jdubbs said:

Here's what I don't get: you readily admit that CW/PT fans most likely don't collect Brickheadz, so why would they (or should they) be voting on for a Brickheadz character in the first place? Is it just to cater to the whims of a YouTube personality? Or to prove some kind of snarky point, at LEGO's expense? If you don't care about Brickheadz, what does it matter that another character, other than the one being advanced in a YouTube campaign, is the one that ends up winning?

Sorry, but how are TCW/PT fans supposed to collect brickheadz when LEGO never made 1 for our era in the first place? Same with helmets.. People voted cause they wanted to get their first prequel brickheadz which meant even more cause it was a part of a movement from a youtuber they liked. I could point out to my Jar-Jar brickhead and say i made it happen, i was one of the 6571 votes and LEGO actually made it and listened to us and i am genuinely happy to have this, i might go and buy some of the older ones. Now it means nothing just like the gunship figure vote/suggestion people went out and voted and suggested for nothing. Voting thing also never stated that you can only vote if you intend to buy or if you already collect, anyone can vote. And it matters a lot cause it was our chance to pick a character and it's a character number 150. LEGO could make Ahsoka any time they wanted if they wanted to make her instead of ignoring fan votes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now