MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

The Death Star Trench Run is one of the most boring Star Wars sets to release in a while in my opinion. The detail is pretty good and it’s a solid display piece, but it looks too much like a glorified May the 4th promo to me. It’s an easy pass.

Dagobah Jedi Training, however, is a set that I really like. It looks visually interesting and it seems like a great set to have sitting on your desk. It looks a little smaller than I was expecting/hoping, but “size matters not” I suppose. 1000 pieces in an $80 Star Wars set is a pretty decent value honestly. The figures look the same as the 2018 versions, which is fine as those were already perfect in my eyes. I guess a Force Ghost Obi-Wan figure would have been nice too, but not really necessary. It’s easily the best version of Yoda’s Hut that Lego has ever done and since I don’t think they can really improve on the design at all (and also because my 2018 hut is in a box somewhere), I’m definitely picking this one up.

I’m excited to see the Trash Compacter as well, but worry about that rumored $90 price tag. I might just try to wait for a discount for both this set and Dagobah.

Both sets look absolutely fantastic and would have been day one purchases for me until I saw the price tags. $60 and $80 dollars for a beefed-up May the 4th promo and black-box Yoda's hut is outrageous and indicates what the Darth Vader Meditation Chamber discussion last year alluded to. I remember people in this forum saying it was over-priced then but still a fair deal because it was something incredibly unique and "adult". I didn't think a black box and a specific type of box art should warrant an additional $20-$30 back then and I don't now. A new/exclusive figure like a force ghost Obi-Wan or a larger model for the trench run might have made these two sets more unique and befitting those prices but right now the trench run is an easy pass and the hut is 20-30% sale buy. 

5 minutes ago, The Stud said:

The Death Star Trench Run is one of the most boring Star Wars sets to release in a while in my opinion. The detail is pretty good and it’s a solid display piece, but it looks too much like a glorified May the 4th promo to me. It’s an easy pass.

It seems a strange choice, especially taking into account the overall unpopularity of the last GWP microbuilds offered as May the 4th promos. It is indeed similar (but of course improved and very detailed) to the Death Star II Battle, which was probably the least popular among the four GWP microbuilds.

While both sets look good for what they are, they're both easy passes for and that's even before you take into account the insane prices of these too. Hopefully this at least means we'll be getting a glimpse at other summer sets soon though.

1 minute ago, ToaDraco said:

Hopefully this at least means we'll be getting a glimpse at other summer sets soon though.

You mean for Star Wars or other themes? Not very likely in either case :tongue: The June sets for most themes get revealed at the end of April and the remaining SW sets are scheduled for August, so we won’t see them for quite a while :shrug_oh_well:

The Trench Run looks pretty fantastic all things considered. Very detailed diorama, it'll look great on display.

Dagobah set also looks awesome, although it feels kinda cramped. I imagined it would be more spacious.

I really dislike how they used the silver pieces on the sides of the base. They are unnecessary, and you can't display those models side-to-side now.

I am also not sure about the prices. The sets use a lot of really small pieces. Just look at the Jurassic Park one - it costs 20€ more, but it looks twice as big as the Star Wars ones.

4 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

While both sets look good for what they are, they're both easy passes for and that's even before you take into account the insane prices of these too. Hopefully this at least means we'll be getting a glimpse at other summer sets soon though.

The thing is, the prices aren't all that outrageous. $59.99 for 665 pieces and $79.99 for 1000 pieces are great ppp ratios. The sets are definitely a little small size-wise for the prices (at least Yoda's hut is smaller than I thought by a little bit), but the ppp ratios are incredible for SW sets.

4 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

These are the May sets. The Summer sets are coming in August.

Just now, NoOneOfImportance said:

The thing is, the prices aren't all that outrageous. $59.99 for 665 pieces and $79.99 for 1000 pieces are great ppp ratios. The sets are definitely a little small size-wise for the prices (at least Yoda's hut is smaller than I thought by a little bit), but the ppp ratios are incredible for SW sets.

True, but then again look at the Jurassic Park one. It feels like much more substantial and worth its price.

It's probably because the Star Wars ones are rather cramped and use a lot of small pieces.

1 minute ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

These are the May sets. 

True, but then again look at the Jurassic Park one. It feels like much more substantial and worth its price.

It's probably because the Star Wars ones are rather cramped and use a lot of small pieces.

There should be four other May sets beyond these two (including Brickheadz and Landspeeder). 

And I think the SW ones are just a bit more cramped, yeah. That's honestly my biggest complaint with 75330 (the cramped feel of it). I'm not surprised that the Trench uses a lot of greebling, and I think that came out well, but I still wonder why 800 pieces for the Compactor. 

9 minutes ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

There should be four other May sets beyond these two (including Brickheadz and Landspeeder).  

And I think the SW ones are just a bit more cramped, yeah. That's honestly my biggest complaint with 75330 (the cramped feel of it). I'm not surprised that the Trench uses a lot of greebling, and I think that came out well, but I still wonder why 800 pieces for the Compactor. 

Republic Fighter Tank and Luke's Landspeeder are the other May sets.

I have no idea how they'll handle a 90€, 800-piece Trash Compactor. Doesn't sound like a good idea.

10 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Republic Fighter Tank and Luke's Landspeeder are the other May sets.

I have no idea how they'll handle a 90€, 800-piece Trash Compactor. Doesn't sound like a good idea.

The Trash Compactor, as well as the Brickheadz should be coming in May as well. 

I honestly don't know either. It's easily my most anticipated one of these three quotes sets, but I expected it to be the $60, not $90.

I won't be getting them since they just don't interest me all that much, but I do think they look pretty nice. I do agree that Dagobah looks a little too cramped though, even if it just had a little more empty space I think it'd work a bit better. 

I will get the Trench Run and frame this with the helmets from Red Five, Vader and the Tie Fighter Pilot. Dagobah is fine as well but I allready have a similar MOC which I will keep.

Dagobah looks good. I'm not too sold on the Trench Run though. I would have been happier if that had been last year's M4 promo. I agree with @The Stud - it looks like a glorified small box set. I probably won't pick it up.

18 minutes ago, TheScaryDoor said:

I will get the Trench Run and frame this with the helmets from Red Five, Vader and the Tie Fighter Pilot. Dagobah is fine as well but I allready have a similar MOC which I will keep.

This honestly sounds like a great way to display it. I'm also hoping that more pictures will give a good idea of how large it actually is, as right now the angle doesn't give a good perspective of how long it will be (even though we have some details on that from prior news).

So the Dagobah set gets the exact same figures as the 30 dollar set a few years ago...Hard not to roll my eyes on that one. I get that R2D2 and Yoda probably didn't need a change but a new Luke variant and/or a force ghost would have made this buyable for me. Trench Run looks gorgeous to my eyes however and makes my mini-ship loving heart happy. 

Edited by Bardan_Jusik

I like Dagobah set and will probably be picking it up on May 4 but I'm not sold on the trench run. Maybe with better pictures but I doubt it will win me over

Dagobah looks great. Probably my favourite depiction so far (though mind you, we’ve only had two anyway). Trench set also looks pretty good. 

1 hour ago, Bardan_Jusik said:

So the Dagobah set gets the exact same figures as the 30 dollar set a few years ago...Hard not to roll my eyes on that one. I get that R2D2 and Yoda probably didn't need a change but a new Luke variant and/or a force ghost would have made this buyable for me. Trench Run looks gorgeous to my eyes however and makes my mini-ship loving heart happy. 

The fact is, there's not a lot you can do figure-wise except a force ghost with this one, as the scene requires these figs (and the 2018 ones were already pretty great).

More pics are up! :thumbup: That 1x1 tile with the R2 print is so adorable :wub: Call me crazy, but the set is worth it to me just for that alone :grin_wub:

6 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

More pics are up! :thumbup: That 1x1 tile with the R2 print is so adorable :wub: Call me crazy, but the set is worth it to me just for that alone :grin_wub:

Seeing more pictures, this set is really growing on me. It's pretty incredibly well done.

Agh, my wallet! I only anticipated buying dagobah (and after seeing these images, no way I don't buy it, it looks incredible. 

The trench run is much nicer than I thought it would be, but I'm still not sold. I don't like how it spills over onto the black plate, and some other minor aesthetic choices. Great set, just not completely for me.

Well that Trash Compactor set looks terrible. Especially for that price  *huh*

You can't possibly tell me that the Trash Compactor is 90€. It looks like a 40€ set at best.

The set itself looks... okay, not a huge fan. But if it really is 90€, this will easily become one of the worst recent Star Wars sets.