MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Really hope LEGO does not do another price increase, because I would potentially like to get the Razor Crest in a year or so maybe, and if they increase a price that may be enough to put me off of it. Just a personal thing for me

1 hour ago, Geihlen said:

Lego has been brutal over the last year or so. There is literally thousands of dollars worth of sets that I want to add to my collection, which is possibly more than at any one time in my life. The Razor Crest is the newest addition to that list, but it also might be the one I buy and cross off first. It just looks so great and the interior stuff is wonderful.

I remember in 2013 I was in college, and collecting LOTR and Star Wars and I was like how will i ever afford the $700 i needed for what i wanted that year.

$700 is a drop in the bucket these days, we a truly overwhelmed with huge awesome sets. I picked up the Falcon, Star Destroyer, Mos Eisley, as well as Hogwarts, Diagon Alley, Daily Bugel, and the Titanic in the last two years, but I'm still lacking budget for like you said 1000s of dollars worth of sets I'd like to own.

I'd like to know if Lego is making far less of each set or just selling that much more than they used to.

29 minutes ago, Archer said:

I remember in 2013 I was in college, and collecting LOTR and Star Wars and I was like how will i ever afford the $700 i needed for what i wanted that year.

And LoTR (And Indiana Jones) are back next year... how much are kidneys going for these days? :laugh:

1 hour ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

Really hope LEGO does not do another price increase, because I would potentially like to get the Razor Crest in a year or so maybe, and if they increase a price that may be enough to put me off of it. Just a personal thing for me

In a way they already increased it from $530 to $600... this is why I think I'm gonna pass.

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Not sure what you mean. It's still LBG like in the system set

The set looks incredible, and I love the interior. I think the price is a little high at $600, but nothing insanely overpriced. I won't be getting it, as it's just too expensive, but it looks very nice. I have a few minor issues: 

The mythrol head is bad. Didn't need to be molded, it just doesn't capture the character. Kuill's head is also weirdly droopy. I also don't like those gaps.

I LOVE the blurrg though, and will be copying the design. Ironically, I already have the pram design in LBG, since it's just a minor change from the advent calendar design that I made back in 2021.

I just meant that given the colour in the series been slightly chrome/shiny (can’t think of the word) and given Lego we’re happy to do the UCS ship in grey then surely they can do the Royal Starship now. does that make sense mate?😂

Do we know if this has the restroom facility? I’m sure it’s the only bit we haven’t seen. 

It does look glorious and 520  was less than I'd expected, however (as I think I've already said on the recent purchases thread) I've decid to get the system scale one instead, as though I'd like a razor crest and this is the better version by far, I'd rather spread my lego budget out a bit and now with rumours of a Lotr D2C I'm thinking I've made the right choice.

2 hours ago, executeorder_sixtybrix said:

For anyone interested in a better look at the set, I found this speedbuild by Brick Depot!

The build looks nice and the internal box artwork is pretty sweet. I wish the front box art was more creative than just the black, but that is an issue I have with most UCS sets now, but not a deal-breaker by any means. The yellow instructions manuals look strange but interesting front matter for sure and again I really like the look of the build. Wish they had the old big spiral bound books but that seems to have gone...maybe to break up the build among sections like seen in the AT-AT. 

Though they put the engines on backwards in the video...

17 minutes ago, Sneakguest said:

Im still waiting for better pictures of the interior

We’ve seen everything the interior has to offer I think. There’s a few videos out there showing various different things.  Literally the only part of the interior that we do not get (as far as I can tell) is the toilet/restroom facility.  We do receive the bed in a central position directly under the cockpit area.  

Edited by Legoman123

Im actually exactly the target customer for this set because:

1) I love SW + i collect LEGO

2) i collect UCS, but mainly the minifig-scaled ones, because i like the possibility to use them in a scene rather than just be able to display. I have all the previous minifig scaled - Lambda Shuttle, Slave 1, Millenium Falcon new version, building the AT-AT from own bricks to test if i like it first.

Skipped on many of the other UCS sets because i did not found them interesting enough, i was able to purchase them.

3) I like mandalorian and also this ship in particular. Paid 50 Eur to get instructions for it from a MOCer but didnt even built it as there were many better versions afterwards.

4) I have the income and the money at hand to purchase it on day one of its release.

5) I still have some space to place it.

But i will not purchase this set, at least not right away and not for that pricetag because its not perfect and not worth the price.

Sadly LEGO distanced themselves from their moto from its founder Ole Kirk Christiansen: "Only the best is good enough"

Ill explain what is wrong with this set and its sad because the designer put a lot of good effort in this one. The model itself is actually very good, that's the reason why i will download the instructions for free from the lego site and start to build it.

Here are the problems with the set:

1) the cockpit window. They did not created a new piece wider as the one used in the system scale Crest, instead they brickbuild the cockpit. But used bad part selection as it does not fit in the middle and there is also an unnecessary gap on top of it because of that. Solution was to create a new piece which would fit with the corner piece they used. Such part exists already but as 4stud wide - they just needed to create 2stud wide version of that same piece which would fit perfectly and the such piece could be reused for other builds in the future - no not an onepurpose mold.

2) Blurg - they cheapened it by not creating a new mold for a blurg, This is a blasphemy. SW lego line is desperate on molded animals/creatures and brickbuild at that scale will never look batter as a mold. Jurrasic world received at least 7 new molded dinos. You can get one in a 18eur set. Also lego is producing many new molds for 4eur figure packs. SW is rich on exotic animals and we have after 20years only few of them as molds (tauntaun, wampa, varactyl, dewback, kaadu, correlian hound, rancor)

3) no Cara Dune. In previous 2 sets they created a bad version of Cara initially and they continued to use it for a second time. Original fig has no armprint (thus no dropper tattoo and shoulder pads), wrong skin color (nougat instead of standard color used for white people) no special hair piece - her hair was unique and required a new specific mold. They could fix all that in this very expensive set and it would be an insta buy just for the improved fig for some of her fans

4) simply not enough exclusive or even normal minifigs included. They could throw in Greef Karga and Moff Gideon from previous sets simply for people who did not purchased them for a reason. Some of the crew from chapter 6 (S1E6) - Mayfeld, Xian, Zero, Burg - no new molds would be even necessary  as all already exists.

There should be more figs that interacted with the ship.

A Cob Vanth would bi a nobrainer.

Simply put more bang for the buck if you want me to fork 600 Eur. And it should not be that difficult with figs that do not need new molds.

5) The price. Not that i could not afford it or i would not be willing to give for a lego. I have the UCS Falcon for 800 Eur TWICE.

But i see that what i get for 600e is not worth it. Would it cost 350 Eur i would buy it day one regardless of its flaws i just listed.

I will however start building it once the instructions are out as i want to have this hip build out of lego and this version is good enough to display.

On 9/26/2022 at 4:16 PM, THELEGOBATMAN said:

The Mandalorian looks absolutely fantastic. They improved the helmet, and the arm printing really is an incredible touch.

The problem is that we should get that kind of figure right from the first 70 Eur set, the way they did repainted Boba figure right (except the helmet color) in the 50 Eur set.

If they can use armprint in 4eur CMW why not in more expensive sets - this is on purpose - not doing armprint so that it can be done in an expensive set.

16 minutes ago, STARHAWK said:

The problem is that we should get that kind of figure right from the first 70 Eur set, the way they did repainted Boba figure right (except the helmet color) in the 50 Eur set.

If they can use armprint in 4eur CMW why not in more expensive sets - this is on purpose - not doing armprint so that it can be done in an expensive set.

We are getting arm-printed Mando in regular sets. They didn't do that before his Beskar armour, but they've started last year, and they aren't stopping.

We'll definitely get an updated helmet in the 2023 sets.

12 hours ago, STARHAWK said:

2) i collect UCS, but mainly the minifig-scaled ones, because i like the possibility to use them in a scene rather than just be able to display. I have all the previous minifig scaled - Lambda Shuttle, Slave 1, Millenium Falcon new version, building the AT-AT from own bricks to test if i like it first.

1) the cockpit window. They did not created a new piece wider as the one used in the system scale Crest, instead they brickbuild the cockpit. But used bad part selection as it does not fit in the middle and there is also an unnecessary gap on top of it because of that. Solution was to create a new piece which would fit with the corner piece they used. Such part exists already but as 4stud wide - they just needed to create 2stud wide version of that same piece which would fit perfectly and the such piece could be reused for other builds in the future - no not an onepurpose mold.

4) simply not enough exclusive or even normal minifigs included.

Fully agree with you on the middle windscreen piece, they really should have made a 2 stud wide piece that matches the curvature of the 2 outer windscreen pieces. They have already made more specialized pieces for the windscreens of several cheaper UCS sets including that meme set released earlier this year.

Strongly disagree on the lack of exclusive minifigs though. Most of the minifigs in previous minifig scale UCS sets weren't very special either. Printed arm Boba with the slave 1, Han & Leia with the alternate breathing mask faceprints in the Falcon and the snowtrooper commander in the AT-AT were the only really special ones. The rest were all pretty generic, even if some of them were technically "exclusives". The razor crest has 2 exclusive characters and an upgraded version of an older minifig and that's not good enough?

11 hours ago, STARHAWK said:

There was probably some truth to this back in 2019 when that AT-ST released, but arm printing on major SW characters is much more common now.

Personally I'm really looking forward to getting this set. Interior looks great and I'm mostly happy with it's external appearance aside from the windscreen issue. It's certainly expensive but it's about 35% cheaper than the AT-AT in my country for a similar piece count and probably also similar weight as the razor crest appears to be quite a solid/dense build.

Really happy to see a review of this ship, I can't believe all the little easter eggs Lego have included.  Literally everything is mapped out perfectly on the interior, just like on the blue proteins and series.  The only thing we don't get is the bathroom which is a shame because I really wanted too see this in an lego spaceship and I believe a room near the escape pod is not included.  However modding this to put a bathroom in should be fairly straight forward.

Love the interior space for that Razor Crest! J likely won’t buy it because I simply cannot at the moment but wouldn’t it be a dream to be able to in the newr future? I love the build for that blurrg it came out so well rounded, smooth and clean.

I was for some reason expecting Mythrol to have a specialized head mold but I’m not too mad the the flat head print. The design in the show had kind of a flat top and the only dimension was in the puffed cheeks which I guess Lego got awY with printing on. It’s reminiscent of early 2000’s figures such as Killer Croc which had flat heads and printed detailing to depict characters which we would expect to have unique molds for in the contemporary setting. So there’s almost like a classic appeal to the way that figure was done.

and then seeing how the chamber/holding cell was included in the set? Plus the buildable white floating stroller for Grogu? And the seats behind the pilots seat in the interior, plus the hatch at the back that opens… I love this set. My financial limitations are the only thing stopping me from getting it because honestly this UCS Razor Crest is a beauty. Really excited about this release even if I likely won’t get it.

Also crying internally because I likely won’t have the money to buy the $800 Imperial Class Destroyer before it retires this year and it will surely be over 1k in a years time on bricklink. Sad face

Edited by cosmic

The more I see of the Razor Crest the more I like, its just too bad that Im pretty reluctant to start collecting UCS spaceships (only have one ground vessel as for now and its the sandcrawler) what it would cost in time and money. But damn, lego has really made a great job with this one. Hope they continue in this direction.

On 9/26/2022 at 12:26 PM, Lobot said:

The Razor Crest looks absolutely amazing and it's definitely one for my shopping list.  Admittedly the RRP is a little painful but it's not totally ridiculous considering the scale and part count.  The interior looks well done - I particularly like the carbonite chamber and cockpit.  I haven't purchased any sets this year apart from the UCS Landspeeder so I could just about convince myself to order it at full RRP, although a decent GWP would certainly help!

The ship looks amazing, but I wonder why it's not gun metal gray for the color, would have been interesting and a bit more accurate.

The Razor Crest is amazing, but I just don't have the space or money for such large sets. To me, they're more of a burden than anything else.

On the other hand, I got the Ambush on Ferrix because Target is doing a buy$50 get $10 gift card. Absolutely great set. The Tac Pod reminds me a lot of the Imperial Dropship Transport from The Force Unleashed, one of my favorite ships. It's a great build and I hope we get more from Andor

Tempted to pull the trigger on the RC but it hasn't gone out of stock yet. I think in this economy less people will buy expensive sets like this. I hope Lego is taking notes. 

Genuinely asking - what's the problem with stickers?

Unless they try to mimic some detail like lights on a car, which never works because it is broken up to multiple stickers, RC seems to have large stickers adding necessary details to the stripes. What's the problem with that?

20 minutes ago, Jerac said:

Genuinely asking - what's the problem with stickers?

Unless they try to mimic some detail like lights on a car, which never works because it is broken up to multiple stickers, RC seems to have large stickers adding necessary details to the stripes. What's the problem with that?

Personally, it takes away from the overall aesthetic. Stickers tend to be slightly off from the color shade of the bricks on which they're placed; this is the case with the yellow stripes on the RC. Otherwise, you have the frustration of trying to place stickers correctly, as well as the issue of stickers peeling over time. Printed pieces are more expensive, and some pieces can't be printed, but I quite prefer prints to stickers even if they do cost more.

55 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

Personally, it takes away from the overall aesthetic. Stickers tend to be slightly off from the color shade of the bricks on which they're placed; this is the case with the yellow stripes on the RC. Otherwise, you have the frustration of trying to place stickers correctly, as well as the issue of stickers peeling over time. Printed pieces are more expensive, and some pieces can't be printed, but I quite prefer prints to stickers even if they do cost more.

Thanks. I agree with those points, just don't see that as a major issue. But - that is a personal opinion. Especially considering I like stickers, as I can cut pieces of them for my own projects. So for example my x-wing has parts of (normal) razor crest stickers for its engine details, and I cut two little triangles to fix shape of the nose. 

That said I can live with stickers on smaller sets and wouldn't see a problem with them gone from UCS.