MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Honestly not all that great of an advent. While I get that they aren't made as army-builders, generally that is one of their great qualities, and this one, with its four Christmas figures, kinda fails at that. The mini-builds are okay, but it needed more figures of value to be worth it in my opinion. 

I personally like the fact that they have the Snowtrooper, battle droid, etc. (though bringing back more B2s after all this time would be nice), but I would have preferred a general P1 Clone instead of the commander, and another army-build figure like a Hoth Rebel or even a Stormtrooper instead of the "Summer Vader." 

looks like the AT-TE is up on Amazon, just with a 1-2 month ship time. Unless you have a ton of gift cards, you should probably just wait till its in stores

18 hours ago, Big_Daddy said:

The AC is a definite no from me. The models are pretty good actually, but Tropic Vader and his sand castle are a deal breaker. I don't care that Christmas in the southern hemisphere is a summer affair, up here it's cold and I like my Christmas associated stuff snowy, even if it hardly snows anymore around here.

The Vader figure is fun though.

So one figure and a build are enough to be a dealbreaker for the calendar, all because it doesn't fit into your exact idea of what Christmas is? I for one am 100% on board with some summer stuff. The other half of the world is important you know.

Edited by CodFather1

1 hour ago, CodFather1 said:

So one figure and a build are enough to be a dealbreaker for the calendar, all because it doesn't fit into your exact idea of what Christmas is? I for one am 100% on board with some summer stuff. The other half of the world is important you know.

Yes it is, it is contrary in such a way for me that it ruins the mood I expect to get from an AC. I'm glad you like it (and I mean that) but if a set does not make me happy, then I'm out. Remember, it's not you I'd be enjoying an AC with nor anyone else from the southern hemisphere, but my own family.

1 hour ago, Big_Daddy said:

Yes it is, it is contrary in such a way for me that it ruins the mood I expect to get from an AC. I'm glad you like it (and I mean that) but if a set does not make me happy, then I'm out. Remember, it's not you I'd be enjoying an AC with nor anyone else from the southern hemisphere, but my own family.

Understandable, but you've gotta admit that LEGO finally including an AC fig for the other half of the world is a good thing, right?

On 8/2/2022 at 12:00 PM, BrickBob Studpants said:

Why are Battle Droids included in almost every single AC? :wacko: I‘m SOOO tired of these

A b1 requires no composite parts and no printed parts and is very cheap to produce and yet it can take up a character slot that would otherwise require printed, composite parts. 

1 hour ago, AD_Bricks said:

Understandable, but you've gotta admit that LEGO finally including an AC fig for the other half of the world is a good thing, right?

I agree. But I can't fault someone for not feeling Christmas when it's not exactly warm in their experience.

Having said that as someone from the US - this reminds me of is travelling during the Holidays.
A warm vacation during Christmas time on or near the beach can be quite nice.

42 minutes ago, lomis said:

I agree. But I can't fault someone for not feeling Christmas when it's not exactly warm in their experience.

Having said that as someone from the US - this reminds me of is travelling during the Holidays.
A warm vacation during Christmas time on or near the beach can be quite nice.

Here's the thing though. Here in Australia the vast majority of the Christmas stuff is based on the Winter version, despite firmly being in boiling summer when it occurs, and we don't complain about it, because to us, both are sides of the same coin. Christmas is a global event in many countries with different climates, and should be treated as such. I would love to see more figures like this in future, because there is so much potential there.

2 hours ago, AD_Bricks said:

Sure, why not? Would be interesting to see separate versions, one for both hemispheres :tongue: 

12 minutes ago, CodFather1 said:

Here's the thing though. Here in Australia the vast majority of the Christmas stuff is based on the Winter version, despite firmly being in boiling summer when it occurs, and we don't complain about it, because to us, both are sides of the same coin. Christmas is a global event in many countries with different climates, and should be treated as such. I would love to see more figures like this in future, because there is so much potential there.

Why should it be treated as such with a product like a Lego AC? No offense but during the Christmas season I really don't care about the existence of the southern hemisphere :tongue: 

2 minutes ago, Big_Daddy said:

Sure, why not? Would be interesting to see separate versions, one for both hemispheres :tongue: 

Why should it be treated as such with a product like a Lego AC? No offense but during the Christmas season I really don't care about the existence of the southern hemisphere :tongue: 

By that logic, why should we care about the northern hemisphere? This entire argument is based around the idea that your country is the only one that matters, when this is a global release.

11 minutes ago, CodFather1 said:

By that logic, why should we care about the northern hemisphere? This entire argument is based around the idea that your country is the only one that matters, when this is a global release.

I think you missed the emoji at the end of Big_Daddy's post.
They were clearly joking.

40 minutes ago, lomis said:

I think you missed the emoji at the end of Big_Daddy's post.
They were clearly joking.

Maybe. I await clarification.

EDIT: He wasn't joking.

Edited by CodFather1

32 minutes ago, CodFather1 said:

You don't need to care in that way about the northern hemisphere, that's why it would be genuinely cool if you had your own summer themed AC. No idea how feasable that would be from a marketing point of view, but to throw in different seasons all at once because during other people's Christmas the weather is different is a bit strange to be honest. For me, Christmas is a very home-y holiday so I like to surround myself with the (weather-)appropriate decoration. If others around these parts don't feel the same way, good for them.

And if you don't like snowy stuff in your AC just like I dont like summerish stuff, you can always make your own. That's what I'm doing this year. Pretty fun too, I get to choose my own builds and minifigures, sometimes even tiny polybag sets. I decide to include multiple themes, and I'm almost done (I think). It's gonna be a blast with my wife and kids, just like last year's SW AC was :classic:

3 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

A b1 requires no composite parts and no printed parts and is very cheap to produce and yet it can take up a character slot that would otherwise require printed, composite parts. 

On the subject of battle droids, how many droids would you feel is a fair trade-off for minifigures? Would you take a clone over two battle droids? Four battle droids? Six? I'd love to see some Separatist battle packs in the future but four battle droids is just not good value compared to four traditional figures. 

Edited by Zap Rowsdower

8 hours ago, AD_Bricks said:

I don't want to wade into the conversation too much, but I'll just say two things:

The concept of Santa still exists in Australia, does it not? Combine that with the assumption that the northern hemisphere is a much larger buyer of lego than the southern one (I don't want to call it a fact because I don't have a specific statistic on hand, but it's got to true be, right? No way Africa, SA, and Australia buy as much lego as NA, Europe, and Asia), and I think it's understandable why ACs tend to be themed around a stereotypical northern hemisphere Christmas.

And given that they release in september, at least australia has them release when it's colder there!

3 hours ago, Zap Rowsdower said:

On the subject of battle droids, how many droids would you feel is a fair trade-off for minifigures? Would you take a clone over two battle droids? Four battle droids? Six? I'd love to see some Separatist battle packs in the future but four battle droids is just not good value compared to four traditional figures. 

I would say 2 battle droids are equal to one minifig for me in terms of how much of a figure slot I feel they should take. I also think an astromech should be counted as roughly equivalent to a figure, but on the other hand, any droid built out of standard bricks should not take a figure slot IMO.

I lived near the Equator for 5 years. We still celebrated Christmas with a small Christmas tree and listened to "White Christmas." There was never going to be a White Christmas. But we sang it anyway. I opened presents in shorts and sandals. Did I resent other parts of the world for getting the cozy, idyllic Christmas when I didn't? No.

Now you may be more resentful than me. You may want warm climate representation with your Christmas stuff. Or you may want only cold climate representation. Either way Lego has reasons for making both. Either enjoy it or don't buy it. But it's silly to attack your fellow human being over it. So let's get back on target.

Meh advent calendar for me. I normally just buy these things for the figures but this one isn’t really doing it for me. The Clone Commander is a massively oversaturated figure and even though I usually like the goofy AC figures, Summer Vader and the droids in sweaters just aren’t doing it for me for some reason. Hoth Luke is a figure I wouldn’t mind having an extra of but meh.

$45 for these things are just too much for me anymore. I got both the Star Wars and Marvel calendars for just $10 thanks to my VIP points but there’s other sets I’d rather use those points toward.

That’s mostly it for Lego Star Wars this year. Bring on the Razor Crest reveal and 2023 news! (And the Summer Vacation special I guess.)

12 hours ago, Big_Daddy said:

You don't need to care in that way about the northern hemisphere, that's why it would be genuinely cool if you had your own summer themed AC. No idea how feasable that would be from a marketing point of view, but to throw in different seasons all at once because during other people's Christmas the weather is different is a bit strange to be honest. For me, Christmas is a very home-y holiday so I like to surround myself with the (weather-)appropriate decoration. If others around these parts don't feel the same way, good for them.

7 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

The concept of Santa still exists in Australia, does it not? Combine that with the assumption that the northern hemisphere is a much larger buyer of lego than the southern one (I don't want to call it a fact because I don't have a specific statistic on hand, but it's got to true be, right? No way Africa, SA, and Australia buy as much lego as NA, Europe, and Asia), and I think it's understandable why ACs tend to be themed around a stereotypical northern hemisphere Christmas.

And given that they release in september, at least australia has them release when it's colder there!

Having an Advent Calender is be mainly winter stuff is fine, that’s what a lot of Christmas stuff in Australia is themed around anyway. We know it’s a tradition taken from the North where a lot of immigrants to Australia are from anyway. However, choosing not to buy it because two of the builds depict summer seems really mean spirited. The other thing to note is that the summer Vader is not necessarily a form of Southern representation anyway but a figure based on the Summer Vacation Disney+ series.

By September, most of Australia is already about as warm as an English summer.

Edited by Paul11283652

On 8/3/2022 at 5:00 PM, Zap Rowsdower said:

Honestly I don't see why they couldn't be used as the side build in a clone battle pack. Their parts would be among some of the cheapest to produce, look up the arm on Pick a brick. So for an hundred part battle pack battle droids are only 4 parts plus a blaster so 20 in a pack plus 4 minifigures would work now that would be 120 parts as a clone is 4 plus a gun as well.  Obviously they would never use 20 battles droids as a BP side build but yeah. So perhaps 5 droids are worth one clone, but if we got a separatist BP I'd want to see B2s which are worth more than b1s and maybe commando droids would have a less mass produced head and it's printed so they are also worth more .

This isn't about what they are worth in terms of how I'd value the figures but also how much it'd cost Lego, how much the constituent parts cost to make.

20 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I don't want to wade into the conversation too much, but I'll just say two things:

I would say 2 battle droids are equal to one minifig for me in terms of how much of a figure slot I feel they should take. I also think an astromech should be counted as roughly equivalent to a figure, but on the other hand, any droid built out of standard bricks should not take a figure slot IMO.

I'd argue a b1 is build of standard parts the head and legs aren't standard I'm that they are only used for it it but they not complex ( e.g dual moulded, printed or being made of smaller parts that can move around and have to be delicately preassembled e.g torsos with arms and hands) but the arms and torso are used as normal building parts all over.

Also given where the equator lies most of Africa isn't south equator.

18 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

I lived near the Equator for 5 years. We still celebrated Christmas with a small Christmas tree and listened to "White Christmas." There was never going to be a White Christmas. But we sang it anyway. I opened presents in shorts and sandals. Did I resent other parts of the world for getting the cozy, idyllic Christmas when I didn't? No.

I live in the UK but I don't remember ever having a white Christmas, it did snow in my hometown over Christmas in 2017 but I was in Holland, that was the only year I wasn't home for Christmas and also the only year it snowed.

23 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

I'd argue a b1 is build of standard parts the head and legs aren't standard I'm that they are only used for it it but they not complex ( e.g dual moulded, printed or being made of smaller parts that can move around and have to be delicately preassembled e.g torsos with arms and hands) but the arms and torso are used as normal building parts all over.

Yeah, exactly. Only a few of the parts aren't standard, and only some variants have printing. Hence why I say it's roughly a 2-1 ratio of B1 to minifig.

14 hours ago, Paul11283652 said:

Having an Advent Calender is be mainly winter stuff is fine, that’s what a lot of Christmas stuff in Australia is themed around anyway. We know it’s a tradition taken from the North where a lot of immigrants to Australia are from anyway. However, choosing not to buy it because two of the builds depict summer seems really mean spirited. The other thing to note is that the summer Vader is not necessarily a form of Southern representation anyway but a figure based on the Summer Vacation Disney+ series.

Sure, but I wasn't the one who said I wouldn't buy it because of the two summer builds.

I finished BD-1 yesterday and it's by far the best statue set. Looks just like the actual droid, is roughly life sized, and you can get such a wide range of emotions out of him just by turning the head and antennae. I highly recommend it.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

On 8/4/2022 at 12:15 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

Yeah, exactly. Only a few of the parts aren't standard, and only some variants have printing. Hence why I say it's roughly a 2-1 ratio of B1 to minifig.

That sound fair. If Lego produced a battle pack with 4 clones and a battle pack with 8 droids and they both cost $20 I'd feel pretty happy. 

I feel like the closest thing we've had to a true droid battle back is the Battle of Saleucami 2014

Edited by Zap Rowsdower

26 minutes ago, Zap Rowsdower said:

That sound fair. If Lego produced a battle pack with 4 clones and a battle pack with 8 droids and they both cost $20 I'd feel pretty happy. 

I feel like the closest thing we've had to a true droid battle back is the Battle of Saleucami 2014

Ach, y'all youngsters here who don't know your LSW history! The very first battle pack ever, in 2007, was 7654 Droids Battle Pack, which had four B1s and three SBDs.

A BD BP would be incredibly pointless nowadays :tongue: The 2007 one at least introduced SBDs in a new colour and made them available for the first time since the OG Gunship. Now they’re so widespread it’s comical

3 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

A BD BP would be incredibly pointless nowadays :tongue: The 2007 one at least introduced SBDs in a new colour and made them available for the first time since the OG Gunship. Now they’re so widespread it’s comical

I could see some harder to get variants like Geonosis camo, security, or commanders adding value to the BP. Not to mention several droids like Magna Guards, SBDs, and Commando Droids are harder to come by now (especially since B2 legs tend to fall apart/snap). I think a straight up remake of the 2007 one with a commander replacing one of the regular droids and a Magna Guard replacing a B2 would do well. 

6 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

SBDs would make it a huge draw. We haven't had any in 7 years (I think because lego know how easily they were breaking but didn't want to spring for new molds).

Also, I think the whole conversation was more conjecture about how much of a figure a B1 is "worth"

8 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Ach, y'all youngsters here who don't know your LSW history! The very first battle pack ever, in 2007, was 7654 Droids Battle Pack, which had four B1s and three SBDs.

I may be a youngster, but I studied my 2010 lego star wars visual dictionary, and I would kill for a remake of that pack.