MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

16 minutes ago, AIex said:

don't get the red eyes thing for Vader. They never looked red unless there was red light being shone at them (i.e. mustafar lava in R1)

12 minutes ago, Hulk_Smash said:

They were red in ANH, to the point that the red lights in his cockpit cancelled them out and you see Dave Prowse’s eyes.

They were also pretty clearly red in Rebels, even in the scenes that weren't on Malachor.

38 minutes ago, AIex said:

don't get the red eyes thing for Vader. They never looked red unless there was red light being shone at them (i.e. mustafar lava in R1)

Nah. Vader has Red eyes in ANH, same way C-3PO has a silver leg. They're gone in ESB and ROTJ, but back in Rebels and RO..and Kenobi, I think.

57 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

£45 is genuinely funny. I laugh at that price. 

I will join you in laughing. Especially since it's possible inflation will cause that price to INCREASE later, since we know lego is willing to do that.

49 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

I got a large amounts of dms saying a jangos slave one would much better then the duel 

I hate the 2021 slave 1 design, and I'd much prefer it to the duel. At least then the build is something kids would find interesting, and a new Jango in a cheapish set would be great.

The thing with the red eyes is that it's an early-ish example of "fan service" and reverence to something that isn't necessarily worth revering. Yeah the lenses of the helmet were red and transparent in ANH and the helmet was matte and not as tall - but then do we say that canonically Vader got a new helmet and changed it up for ESB, or that actually George Lucas had more money and was able to have the costume executed more to his liking?

Subsequent media has gone with the former, over-emphasising the red lenses in pre-ANH material as if to say "hey remember when it was sometimes obvious that the Vader costume had red lenses in ANH!??" Even though the original intention might have never been for him to have obviously red lenses, they just made the costume that way and they look black in most light.

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

The thing with the red eyes is that it's an early-ish example of "fan service" and reverence to something that isn't necessarily worth revering. Yeah the lenses of the helmet were red and transparent in ANH and the helmet was matte and not as tall - but then do we say that canonically Vader got a new helmet and changed it up for ESB, or that actually George Lucas had more money and was able to have the costume executed more to his liking?

Subsequent media has gone with the former, over-emphasising the red lenses in pre-ANH material as if to say "hey remember when it was sometimes obvious that the Vader costume had red lenses in ANH!??" Even though the original intention might have never been for him to have obviously red lenses, they just made the costume that way and they look black in most light.

It doesn't change that his lenses do appear red in ANH, and are explicitly red in the newer material like RO and Rebels, whether you like it or not. So it makes sense people would want a vader with red eyes, as it would more accurately represent those versions.

But even that doesn't change the fact that lego clearly shows red eyes on the box art, when it's not in the sets. That's something I really don't like.

34 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

It doesn't change that his lenses do appear red in ANH, and are explicitly red in the newer material like RO and Rebels, whether you like it or not. So it makes sense people would want a vader with red eyes, as it would more accurately represent those versions.

Oh yeah no I know, and Star Wars fandom and media already has a long and storied history of picking up on the smallest details. Just look at those "Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina" and "Tales from Jabba's Palace" books from ages ago fleshing out stories for the most minor background characters.

I was just pointing out that to me personally the red lenses thing is almost equivalent to Han Solo's dice. Regardless, like you say Darth Vader has now been depicted with very purposeful red lenses and it'd be cool to get a LEGO variant that reflects that. A dual moulded one with actual trans-red lenses would be even better.

regardless of how red they appear in ANH, which is hardly ever, lego does not have a shade of red dark enough to accurately depict it.

Spoiler

I'm really hoping that we get something soon with the Purge Troopers. With them being in Fallen Order and almost definitely in its sequel, AND now with the live action appearance (although I couldn't tell what helmets they were wearing, definitely wasn't the airborne one's we're familiar with). I've always loved their design and as far as I'm aware as it currently stands, the only 2 imperial troopers we haven't seen yet are the Purge Troopers and the Flame Trooper from Mando Season 1.

As for the Obi v Vader duel, while it's overall fairly average, the figures look absolutely amazing, especially that NED droid. I need a Chopper, K2SO, and NED droid death squad to roll up on some IMPs. I can understand the complaints of price but with LEGO's announcement of the price hike, I feel like every complaint is just beating a dead horse twice over at this point.

2 hours ago, AIex said:

regardless of how red they appear in ANH, which is hardly ever, lego does not have a shade of red dark enough to accurately depict it.

I mean, aside from the fact that they are clearly shown to be red in multiple shots of ANH, and even more obviously red in Rouge One and Rebels, dark red seems perfectly fine for it, which seems to be the shade they use in the box art.

Though this would be cool too:

2 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

A dual moulded one with actual trans-red lenses would be even better.

Box image of the advent calendar is out! Aside from the Vader stuff we already saw, it's still mostly christmas themed. I see a pretty good Havoc Marauder minimodel, christmas sweater R2 and 3-PO, SANTA GONK, and than an interceptor, at-st, landspeeder, t-16, and moisture vaporator. One thing worries me though...we normally see most of the figures on the box art, and here there's only 3... looking back, some of them have had as few as 4 on the box art so it might not be anything, but most tend to have most of the figures on the box art.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

18 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Box image of the advent calendar is out! Aside from the Vader stuff we already saw, it's still mostly christmas themed. I see a pretty good Havoc Marauder minimodel, christmas sweater R2 and 3-PO, SANTA GONK, and than an interceptor, at-st, landspeeder, t-16, and moisture vaporator. One thing worries me though...we normally see most of the figures on the box art, and here there's only 3... looking back, some of them have had as few as 4 on the box art so it might not be anything, but most tend to have most of the figures on the box art.

I think they are playing up the mystery this year. The HP calendar shows only 2 of its figs. I do think it's safe to assume the rest of the figs will be generic / repeat figs.

Out of curiosity do people prefer the silly figs or the exclusives like Antoc, TLJ Luke, Pit Droid? I kind of miss getting one new random in universe character / outfit in the calendars.

I like that they’re finally doing a more accurate gonk design with the 2 1x2 tiles on the sides (ignoring the Santa costume). I’m gonna copy however they’ve done it and use that design to make a better Gonky from the BB shuttle. 

5 hours ago, CodeNameGoldMember said:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm really hoping that we get something soon with the Purge Troopers. With them being in Fallen Order and almost definitely in its sequel, AND now with the live action appearance (although I couldn't tell what helmets they were wearing, definitely wasn't the airborne one's we're familiar with). I've always loved their design and as far as I'm aware as it currently stands, the only 2 imperial troopers we haven't seen yet are the Purge Troopers and the Flame Trooper from Mando Season 1.

LEGO just got another excuse to rerelease a snowspeeder, maybe the new purge troopers will turn up in that.

Edited by Brikkyy13

3 hours ago, Archer said:

Out of curiosity do people prefer the silly figs or the exclusives like Antoc, TLJ Luke, Pit Droid? I kind of miss getting one new random in universe character / outfit in the calendars.

Personally I like getting an in-universe fig, but I don't mind the holiday (or LEGO special) themed ones. Figures like TLJ Luke or the cloud car pilot are great, as they would either be difficult to fit, or less likely to appear, in a regular set, and are probably not in massively high demand. Them being in an advent calendar makes it possible to get them without breaking the bank.

10 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Nah. Vader has Red eyes in ANH, same way C-3PO has a silver leg. They're gone in ESB and ROTJ, but back in Rebels and RO..and Kenobi, I think.

C-3PO kept his silver leg throughout the whole trilogy though. we first saw complete golden 3po in ROTS and then in TLJ.

21 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

Still peeved by the lack of red eyes on Vader though, almost feels like false advertising. It's even worse than tBoBF box art where Boba's armor is the correct color while the actual figure's armor is not, that could be chalked up to the tone of ink used for the art, this however was a deliberate choice to give him red eyes in the art.

I wouldn't call that false advertising. Those pictures are like logos of the certain product themes/subthemes. They are more like edited product photos of hamburgers from fast-food chains than representations of actual products. I still remember how great Din Djarins' helmet looked on the previous box design (even on the current one) and how plain and boring it looked in reality. Color change of that piece helped, but it still look worse than the picture on the box.

FYI for anyone who has only dealt with star wars figs and will want to display Summer Vader, get a couple of these pieces. They let you stick a fig with fins to a baseplate.

10 hours ago, Archer said:

I think they are playing up the mystery this year. The HP calendar shows only 2 of its figs. I do think it's safe to assume the rest of the figs will be generic / repeat figs.

I don't necessarily mind because usually the exclusive figs are not super desirable (for me at least), but I don't usually buy the Advent Calendar, so if possible I'd prefer for there to not be any exclusive non-Christmas themed minifigs.

13 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

A dual moulded one with actual trans-red lenses would be even better.

Vader's white head underneath would make that look extremely goofy

12 hours ago, Archer said:

I don't know. My absolute favorite was Scarf Mando, since he's christmasy but the part also works in a non-christmas setting, unlike a lot of the original ones and the newest ones. I tend to buy them on sale after christmas as great part/figure packs, so I think I do prefer exclusives personally, but I think the christmas ones are probably the best choice for an advent calendar for people who use them for their intended purpose.

11 hours ago, AD_Bricks said:

I like that they’re finally doing a more accurate gonk design with the 2 1x2 tiles on the sides (ignoring the Santa costume). I’m gonna copy however they’ve done it and use that design to make a better Gonky from the BB shuttle. 

How DARE YOU, sir. Implying ANY lego gonk design is nothing less than the ideal physical form of any being is tantamount to treason.

But yeah, I like the design, I think i'll do the same with Gonky.

10 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Hide contents

LEGO just got another excuse to rerelease a snowspeeder, maybe the new purge troopers will turn up in that.

Spoiler

At least this one has a different cockpit configuration and would be gray, right? That's a little better than getting another hoth one. (though it has been 2 full years...we're overdue.

1 minute ago, AIex said:

If you were looking at it directly head-on, at eye level, with good lighting, maybe a little bit, but given that the eyes aren't that big a part of the helmet, and the black around it-especially with the "eyebrows" of the helmet above it-would sort of dim it, I don't think so. If they just made the lenses trans-red, you'd essentially have to shine a light directly into his face to really see his eyes (which coincidentally, you can see in the trench run)

1 hour ago, AIex said:

As Mandalorianknight said it probably wouldn't be that bad. The Grand Inquisitor (2015) is a 1 for 1 example as far as the color palette is concerned. You have to really be trying to see his eyes in there and that helmet has a larger translucent area than Vader's eyes.

Regarding 75334Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Vader - It seems VERY similar in size to 75171: Battle on Scarif from 5 years ago at the same $50 price. And I quite liked that set.

I will definitely get it. 

36 minutes ago, lomis said:

Regarding 75334Obi-Wan Kenobi vs. Darth Vader - It seems VERY similar in size to 75171: Battle on Scarif from 5 years ago at the same $50 price. And I quite liked that set.

I will definitely get it. 

Except Battle on Scarif actually had a good build which didn't look as plain as a rock (literally).

It just looks... more worth the money than the Obi-Wan set.

If I wasn’t already stacking up my VIP Points to save some money on the UCS Star Destroyer this fall (I’ve already got $110 worth of points), I’d just use them to get this Kenobi vs. Vader set for “free” on August 1st. That’s still probably what I’ll save my VIP Points up towards after I use them on that set (and probably also this year’s advent calendars) though.

As it stands, I’m now planning on getting the AT-TE, BD-1, Scythe and Jedi Starfighter on August 1st. I’ll wait for deals on Cad Bane’s Ship, the Andor set and Kenobi vs. Vader sometime over the next several months. I’m sure at least one of them will show up at Costco.

I also really like this year’s advent calendar so far! Beach Vader is funny and I like the matching sweaters on Threepio and Artoo. Even though R2 technically isn’t a minifigure, I like getting three exclusive figures/characters in this set as opposed to usually just getting one or two.

21 hours ago, Archer said:

I like a mix in the calendar if possible. Some generic army builder type figure are nice.  if supplies last I can get the advent calendar on sale after December 1st in many cases and use as parts packs, so stormtroopers, scout troopers, etc. are great.

That said, I also have a soft spot for unique figures and funny figures to a certain extent.  I prefer the unique figures more than the funny figures (like Beach Vader), but they can have a place.

Cheers :)