MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

4 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Step aside Half of First Order AT-ST, you’ve been replaced as worst set ever. Meet 400 piece grey baseplate!  I’m scared to ask the price of this thing.

Did the LEGO designers know what was going to happen in that scene? The box art seems to imply that they did. This is like, one step away from getting Anakin and the younglings as a set. 

I still think Mike the decapitated chicken walker is worse because this at least is a somewhat solid baseplate and has semi-desirable figures. It's certainly the most boring set, though.

It is interesting they're doing a set on this, too. That was I think the darkest scene in SW that we SEE. Sure, anakin and the younglings is worse, but it's only implied, not shown. Mustafar, while also shown, is just so stupidly cartoonish and full of bad CGI that it feels more child-friendly than "I chopped off your father's legs and threw him in a volcano" sounds.

7 minutes ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

There’s a significant difference between the silly space fantasy we all love, and real life murder. 

Another differentiation, before the pirates and castle fans pipe up:

Specificity is part of it: You don't see War of the Roses sets, just generic castles.

Timing is the other part. Generally I think the Revolutionary War era is about as far as we'll get for time period of military sets. So no, a generic gray tank with some unspecified soldiers wouldn't work either.

But anyway, yeah, this is one of the worst sets I've ever seen. I like the idea of a set primarily containing terrain, but this is the worst possible terrain to do. It's literally a flat gray baseplate. There's no interesting complexity in design or visual appeal like an Endor forest, Scarif beach or even a Geonosis rocky outcropping. The figures aren't great either. Vader is a downgrade, and Indria Varma's character doesn't have that costume in that scene (I guess it's nice to get another imperial officer?) Ned is cool I guess. But the figures aren't nearly desirable enough, and the set is waaaay to expensive, to consider getting it just for the figures IMO. With all the big gray slopes, it's also somewhat specific even for a parts pack. And the worst thing is, lego's going to see this fail (because it will) and think playsets don't sell, and we won't get many more location sets. Location sets can be great. But this is not how you make them, and even if you do, this is the worst possible scene to make a location/terrain set for. It's a goddamn gray slab of rock.

Well, that's certainly something. I wasn't too interested based on what Promobricks said, but this is just ridiculous. I guess there is some sort of feature to light the ground on fire, but I don't think that will be enough to save the set. I find it kind of amusing that of the two (regular) Obi-Wan sets, one is this mess, while the other is one of the best Star Wars sets we've gotten in years.

On 6/6/2022 at 11:32 AM, McMurder_them_softly said:

*Putting on my tinfoil hat* Maybe LEGO made the Mando N-1 so early since they KNEW he gets another Razor Crest and they wanted to take advantage of this limited time vehicle? 

I've been saying it for a while but I could definitely see him having this ship AND a Razor Crest. I'm sure they could find some way to have it dock up with it. This N-1 is fun and has some great uses, but lets be honest, Mando is stubborn and you know he still wants a Razor Crest.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the wave. Seems like we'll be getting stuff pretty quickly here. I know we've only had 1 LEGO con so far but after last years "Surprise" reveal, I wouldn't be surprised if they reveal yet again a ship that we already know and have plenty of photos of.

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Vader is a downgrade,

How? I’m pretty sure he has arm printing. 

Edit: …and a new face print!

Edited by AD_Bricks

8 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Did the LEGO designers know what was going to happen in that scene? The box art seems to imply that they did. This is like, one step away from getting Anakin and the younglings as a set. 

I wouldn't really say mass children murder is comparable to toasting a guy for ten seconds :tongue:

I like the new Vader face, looks good and suits him. 

Also, on IG, commanderbricks posted a picture of a moc/recreation of the new duel set, using Obi-Wan from the new starfighter since they’re similar. What I’m wondering is how did they get the starfighter early???

Edit: they also posted a picture of the figure by itself… how???

Edited by AD_Bricks

The new faceprint on Vader surely looks good, the best iteration of his scars yet I think.

That set is it's own thing for sure :D

Still, I don't mind LEGO SW occasionally trying something different, and I prefer more location sets in general. I like the figs, the robot is particularly nice. Will get it for sure.

I'll say this for the Kenobi sets, they're pretty good for delivering desirable figures. 

As such, I'm very glad Ben is also going to be in the Scythe, because this set itself is just kind of... Nothing?

May try and pick up Ned down the line. Cool to see a new Vader piece and Lego using the new skin tone once again. 

26 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Definitely looks better in the high-res pictures :thumbup: 

Really? What the fuzzy picture had going for it was that I couldn't be 100% sure the set is awful. Now I'm sure.

It looks like a bland MOC. On a table at a convention it'd be fine - "oh nice someone recreated that scene", but as a set it's just rubbish. Totally underwhelming location, so small for the price.

I am not a huge fan of the set, but that has more to do with the fact that it's based off a grey plateau than anything on Lego's end. The execution is good I think; the play features certainly seem fun and the figures are cool. NED-B looks great and the new Vader faceprint is my favourite yet. The set overall isn't for me, but as far as location-based play-sets go, they could have done a lot worse.

7 minutes ago, VincentLord said:

I am not a huge fan of the set, but that has more to do with the fact that it's based off a grey plateau than anything on Lego's end. The execution is good I think; the play features certainly seem fun and the figures are cool. NED-B looks great and the new Vader faceprint is my favourite yet. The set overall isn't for me, but as far as location-based play-sets go, they could have done a lot worse.

I agree. The set is a good representation of that scene, it's just too bad LEGO decided to use that scene for a set, instead of the (assumed) final battle.
I will probably pick it up, if anything for the figs :sweet: 

Regards,
Mitch

Well, it's not as terrible as I thought. Still looks pretty sad.

No red eyes for Vader :(

11 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

False. The FO AT-ST set exists. 

I expected someone to mention it and nah. That set gets a bad rep, but it's really not that awful. Price was atrocious, but that was nothing new for Star Wars

This one is worse.

Edited by Alegrispa

Uhh... NED-B looks fantastic. 

What makes the bland grey rock build even funnier is the background art, which is literally just dark grey dust :jollyroger:

I don't have anything more to say.

I like the set a little bit more than I did before, NED-B especially, but still not great, especially considering the price. Vader has a new cape, right?

Also, I keep seeing people saying it's just rocks, and while it is just grey, it's supposed to represent sand/dust as seen in the background and of course in the episode, not rocks. In my opinion, thinking of it as dust/sand rather than rocks makes it seem a little more interesting and less bland for what it is (by that I mean, if it were rocks, I'd expect more texturing).

Edited by AD_Bricks

15 minutes ago, AD_Bricks said:

Also, I keep seeing people saying it's just rocks, and while it is just grey, it's supposed to represent sand/dust as seen in the background and of course in the episode, not rocks. In my opinion, thinking of it as dust/sand rather than rocks makes it seem a little more interesting and less bland for what it is (by that I mean, if it were rocks, I'd expect more texturing).

Well it doesn't really matter what it is, because it looks just plain, bland, and boring. It could be anything for all I care, but if the set looks bad, then it just looks bad.

I don't think the main problem is the fact that it's just grey dust, but the fact that they have decided to make it a 50€ set. If it was 20€, then it wouldn't really matter. Would be another cute duel set.

Edited by THELEGOBATMAN

1 hour ago, Alegrispa said:

I expected someone to mention it and nah. That set gets a bad rep, but it's really not that awful. Price was atrocious, but that was nothing new for Star Wars

This one is worse.

Then agree to disagree because that set was straight trash, I don't care how much it cost.

No red eyes for Vader, are you kidding me!?!?!? Then why on Alderaan would they give him red eyes on the box for the Kenobi sets! :damn:

*sigh*

At least NED-B looks amazing and the set has a lot more going on with it than it initially appears and I like all the functions. I don't understand what people really expected after seeing ep3. Still peeved by the lack of red eyes on Vader though, almost feels like false advertising. It's even worse than tBoBF box art where Boba's armor is the correct color while the actual figure's armor is not, that could be chalked up to the tone of ink used for the art, this however was a deliberate choice to give him red eyes in the art.

Edited by ToaDraco

Build looks basic but so is the location in the show, just flat ground with some mining equipment and piles of rocks scattered around. Can't blame Lego for making a set that looks accurate to the source material, and they probably felt like they had to make it as the Kenobi/Vader rematch was being hyped up so much before the shows release.

Sure they could have made it smaller and cheaper like other recent duel sets but then we probably would only get 2 minifigs so would miss out on NED-B and Tara.

12 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Built Mando’s N-1 set. It’s bigger than the pictures made it look and I actually really like it. Now give us an updated N-1 fighter from TPM!

I just built mine last night and I agree, I really like it and I'm also hoping for an ep1 version again at some point. I've held off on N-1s until now despite loving the ship because I don't think LEGO has been able to successfully recreate its shape. This is the closest they've gotten despite it being huge and heavily modified. I also really love the little BD droid and I look forward to getting BD-1 to go with it. LEGO, if you're listening give us a green one and a yellow one too, I need a full compliment of BD droids in different colors to represent different BD-1 skins! At the very least a green one because that's the skin I used in the game. :tongue:

Edited by ToaDraco

It’s a bit underwhelming to be honest. It’s not a particularly interesting location anyway. As said above it’s a shame they used this scene instead of the final battle which will (presumably) have a more interesting location.

It’s still not a very interesting set, but the turntables are at least promising bases for fun spinning NCS ground installations.

Well the set mildly improved with better quality pics. Maybe at a discount. 

I get the no red eyes thing, but LEGO did it with refresh Boba and chrome Mando, really not surprising. At least I am not surprised that we would not get red eyes on Vader. I think if it was transparent dual molded red, that would look good. Printing though or anything else, pass. Just my thoughts on the matter. 

The duel set is certainly over-priced. But I actually kind of like it. The designers clearly worked really hard to get a number of play functions built in. NED is amazing. And as someone who's built a number of mountains/cliffs in the past few years I'm loving that new slope mold! Can't wait for it to show up in other colors. It's very useful in light bley and will be good in all shades of earth tones. I'll certainly wait till it's on sale, but I'll be picking it up eventually.