MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Very much here for a UCS Razor Crest. Even with the absurd price point I think I will have to cave on it. Also it's not an OT UCS model, which is great to see. 

I think the Razor Crest remains an iconic ship, despite its unfortunate destiny and, as such, a Lego UCS version can be successful. Still, I wonder whether a UCS version was planned based on Season 3 and a possible come back of the ship in universe. That would clearly explain the choice.

The Razor Crest is not a bad choice; but it still irks me that The Mandalorian gets a UCS starship almost immediately while there is none for TPM after 23 and RotS after 17 years.

Edited by Graupensuppe

30 minutes ago, Graupensuppe said:

The Razor Crest is not a bad choice; but it still irks me that The Mandalorian gets a UCS starship almost immediately while there is none for TPM after 23 and RotS after 17 years.

That'd be my only criticism. I'd have liked something from TPM or RotS prior to a Razor Crest. I have to think UCS sets for those movies are inevitable at some point, though.

I'm not even a big Clone Wars fan and I think the next big ticket UCS should be a Venator. Sure it'd be another bley model but at least there'd be a bunch of dark red in there. Perhaps it's on the cards to come out eventually but only three years since the UCS Star Destroyer is too short a time. Overall though I'll just be miffed if there isn't an MBS set released this year (which is why I still think a Death Star is possible, as it fits the price point and is more of an MBS model than a UCS one).

7 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Since the production line is already set up for the 501st printing, and has been going for over two years now, I would imagine it is cheaper to keep it going rather than to stop it and restart it, especially if the set isn't going to hang around for too much longer. (Side-note - is it on EOL lists?) There might only be planned and coated production capacity for upcoming sets as well, and although they're the same part before printing, you'd effectively be (at least) doubling the amount of moulded parts, which shortens the life of the mould.

As far as stock goes, I don't imagine TLG would overshoot production targets in such a way that they end up with scores of one type of mould in warehouses, since that is essentially wasted capacity. Any produced helmets will likely end up in a set rather than in a box in a warehouse. (Hope that makes sense!)

This exactly.

9 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

I’m still not entirely sure what you guys are trying to say? Of course there aren’t any of the new helmets currently printed in 501st colours if the new piece hasn’t yet entered production…

I’m looking at it this way: 

The pieces are moulded first and printed on second. LEGO will have the capability to print on both the old and new mould. Let’s say, 6 months down the line, stores of existing mould run out but they have plenty of the new mould. The helmet pieces are functionally the same, why produce more of an outdated mould? Would it not be more efficient to just print on the parts they have on hand? Once they’ve run out of the old mould would it not be better for production to produce more of the new helmet and give it different prints? Doing so wouldn’t take up any more room in the warehouse and it would save time and money because nobody would have to swap out the moulds in the machine that produces the part. It might even save plastic if the new mould weighs less than the old due to the holes. The fact that it would give fans something cool is an afterthought. I’m no expert on optimising production but with what I know of how LEGO works this idea seems very plausible to me. 

Well first off, you've created an entirely hypothetical scenario. We don't know that they've stopped production of the old mold, and I doubt lego's going to end up with a situation where they run out of the old mold but have a ton of the new one just lying around, especially with the rising production costs. (Which also, no, I don't think the holes would make this a cost saving measure. Even in the quantities they produce, that's such a tiny amount of plastic that they aren't going to save a significant amount of money.) They wouldn't make a mistake like that. If this would happen, it'd be intentional, not some sort of accident with "stores of existing mold" running out.

In reality, my guess is we'll stop seeing the old mold when the fighter tank retires. Which I suppose is another point. Why produce a fighter tank and release it sort of by itself as the only non-gimmick system set in the wave just 2-3 months before introducing this new mold?

7 hours ago, Mr. Cube said:

Well, they did it with later batches of 75166 battle pack (TFA x TLJ FO Stormtrooper helmet design), but that was just updated print on the same mold. This case is propably more complicated. But I hope they give us new mold with 501st prints until they decide to redesign the helmet again.

And it was a print being applied to new sets as well. If we knew another 501st trooper and another 187th trooper were going to be in sets in the next few years, I'd be changing my tune, but as I highly doubt that (in the 187th case at least, a 501st trooper could probably show up somewhere within the next year or two), I don't think we'll see them create what would essentially be new prints for old sets.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

I have no inside knowledge, but if Lego is making a UCS Razorcrest then I'm going to predict that he gets another one in Season 3.

35 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

I have no inside knowledge, but if Lego is making a UCS Razorcrest then I'm going to predict that he gets another one in Season 3.

Nah I actually highly doubt that. Usually sets take about 2-ish years to make if I remember correctly and if you apply that timeline to the possible Razor Crest, it would’ve started being worked on during the peak of the ship’s popularity, before it gets blown up in season 2. I’m almost certain it’s just a timing thing, but really, who knows. 

I highly doubt they'll replace the Razor Crest with another ship of the same type. It got replaced by the N1, which purposefully doesn't have space for bounties. This development is very important for where the story is obviously headed: him ultimately becoming Mandalore. His future is being a leader, not a bounty hunter. So no need for a bounty hunter ship anymore :laugh:

Even though we thus most likely won't see it on screen anymore, it still deserves a UCS set in my opinion :classic: If the rumours are true, fingers crossed for a good exclusive minifig!

1 hour ago, MKJoshA said:

I hope he gets another in season 3, especially since while cool, the N-1 doesn't at all work as a home for Mando and Grogu in the way that the RC did, but I don't think this would be something lego was told far enough in advance to make a UCS set coming out before the season. Like @necrochasm says, the development would have started years ago, before the RC was blown up the first time.

Sure, but development and the decision to go through with production are two different things. Just saying it won't surprise me one bit if he gets another version of his ship and that Lego was told ahead of time if it happens. 

I wonder what figures we could expect if we do end up getting a UCS Razor Crest. Mando and Grogu are no brainers but there are a lot of other characters that they can include as well, particularly exclusive ones. It’d suck to have notable characters like Mayfeld or Kuiil limited to the set but it could be a way for us to finally get those figures. I think an exclusive Frog Lady figure using the CMF Kermit head mold would be a genius idea.

1 hour ago, The Stud said:

I wonder what figures we could expect if we do end up getting a UCS Razor Crest. Mando and Grogu are no brainers but there are a lot of other characters that they can include as well, particularly exclusive ones. It’d suck to have notable characters like Mayfeld or Kuiil limited to the set but it could be a way for us to finally get those figures. I think an exclusive Frog Lady figure using the CMF Kermit head mold would be a genius idea.

Maybe Cobb? 

Honestly, I don't love the Mandalorian circlejerk or the show itself very much, but honestly, I think we're kind of underselling the market here, and how well this set could do. I would be willing to argue that it's the best received piece of Star Wars content since Return, other than maybe, maybe, TFA on opening week. Sure, the shows and PT have gained popularity due to Reddit, but they probably don't appeal quite enough to Gen X as a whole to really justify massive, 400+ dollar sets. If the Falcon has appeal to non AFOLs, the Razor Crest almost certainly does too. The only real concern would be that it was destroyed, but even then, it still featured heavily enough in the first season that it would probably outweigh the fact that it was destroyed, and I can't imagine someone deciding not to get it simply due to it's unfortunate fortune. 

3 hours ago, Brickroll said:

The only real concern would be that it was destroyed, but even then, it still featured heavily enough in the first season that it would probably outweigh the fact that it was destroyed, and I can't imagine someone deciding not to get it simply due to it's unfortunate fortune. 

I think it's a valid concern, but I'm not too worried either. Thinking of something like the AT-AT, it only got maybe 10 minutes of screen time in ESB, then about 5 seconds in ROTJ, but that was enough to gain massive popularity. Not saying the Razor Crest is anywhere near as popular, but it has plenty of screen time, is connected with what I think is a good story/good acting, and is also a good-looking ship with potential for a strong display presence and an interesting (and possibly minifig scale?) interior. Barring something incredibly off-putting in the design or piece count, I'm confident I'd pick one up if they do release one.

7 hours ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

Thinking of something like the AT-AT, it only got maybe 10 minutes of screen time in ESB, then about 5 seconds in ROTJ, but that was enough to gain massive popularity.

Good point. A UCS Razor Crest is possible and definitely likely, now I guess we just wait for it to be confirmed (or not confirmed).

14 hours ago, The Stud said:

Lego have been disappointingly stingy with the figures on the last few UCS sets. Wouldn't suprise me if they limited it to Mando and Grogu (hope I'm wrong obviously).

2 minutes ago, Csaba said:

Lego have been disappointingly stingy with the figures on the last few UCS sets. Wouldn't suprise me if they limited it to Mando and Grogu (hope I'm wrong obviously).

If just those two, maybe it could be Mando with side-leg printing, and Grogu with a properly coloured version of the hoverpram from the advent calendar, like the one seen on the Dark Trooper Attack box art?

48 minutes ago, Csaba said:

I thought the whole point of UCS sets is they are about the build rather than the figures, so unique variants of Mando and Grogu alone would make perfect sense and be a lot more preferable than putting often requested figs like Kuiil, Cobb, Mayfeld etc. behind a $500+ paywall.

4 hours ago, Csaba said:

They have been, but I feel like a UCS Razor Crest would be comparable to the UCS Falcon where it’s closer to minifigure scale and is also big enough to have a bit of an interior where you’d want to have at least a handful of different figures to recreate scenes. Lego is usually more stingy with figures when it comes to other UCS sets where there’s no way for those figures to interact with the build because it’s at a different scale, like the Gunship, Landspeeder or A-Wing. I guess we’ll have to wait and see though.

Promobricks just shared a pic of the new Darth Vader fig from the Kenobi duel set. They added that the set will be revealed tomorrow!

Edit: the fig looks very similar to sw1106, so not sure if they’re just using a stock Vader fig photo or the new fig is nearly the same. However, JB Spielwaren has also added a countdown to new set reveal, so it does seem the set will be revealed tomorrow.

Edited by Jazzahh

Very blurry picture of the Obi Wan vs Darth Vader set.

I both kinda hate it and love it at the same time. It's kinda bland, but there's a strange charm to it's flatness, I kinda like how it's just a piece of ground, feels like something we don't usually get, I have very mixed feelings.

I was considering passing, but that NED-B figure looks like something I'm going to need to get.