MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

2 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

I wonder if this will act as a replacement to the old mould and if we’ll see the 501st and 187th figures’ helmets updated in future production runs? 

I doubt it, especially considering the fact that Hunter, leaked to be included in the Justifier, is said to use the old mould, so it'll be the same figure as was in the Bad Batch shuttle.

So I imagine we'll see the rest of wave anyday now, and ( thought it might be leaked first) we'll definitely see something at Lego Con?

Any more word on what the D2C this fall is? I doubt we'll see/hear anything at LEGO Con, but this time last year we were already fairly certain the D2C was the AT-AT.

4 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

Any more word on what the D2C this fall is? I doubt we'll see/hear anything at LEGO Con, but this time last year we were already fairly certain the D2C was the AT-AT.

Were we certain about the AT-AT last June? I think it just feels like we were because everyone thought it’d be an AT-AT because of the price point. (But a few crazy people still thought it was a Death Star) In my recollection it seems like we usually don’t find out what the Fall D2C is until late in the summer.

New pictures of the 212th trooper with an applied visor. Looks strange. Reminds me of R2 on Jabba's sail barge.

1 hour ago, Brickadeer said:

New pictures of the 212th trooper with an applied visor. Looks strange. Reminds me of R2 on Jabba's sail barge.

That’s the 2008 visor that’s intended for the TCW-style P1 helmet, though. My understanding is that Cody will have a narrower one that fits the P2 helmet better, like the one shown in the game. I don’t remember whether that’s actually been confirmed, though, so I suppose it’s possible it’ll be the old mold. 

3 hours ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

The rumour is Razor Crest, as of now.

33 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

The rumour is Razor Crest, as of now.

At the LEGO Collecting panel at Celebration last week, during a discussion of how they try to alternate colors of UCS sets, Jeremy Beckett (a coauthor of the original LEGO Star Wars Visual Dictionary) winked and said that the next one would be “mostly metallic grey”.

18 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

So glad the helmet hasn’t changed that much, will help with consistency when army building. I wonder if this will act as a replacement to the old mould and if we’ll see the 501st and 187th figures’ helmets updated in future production runs? Here’s hoping we get a phase II shiny before they change the design again. 

I doubt it, lego doesn't usually do that type of thing. The AT-ST raider and Razor Crest weren't updated with the correct helmet color for mando, for instance. In this case, they'd have to make 3 new prints for that part, when the 501st set should be retiring pretty soon anyway. Finch Dallow and Kanan Jarrus's hair color are the exceptions that proves the rule.

20 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

At the LEGO Collecting panel at Celebration last week, during a discussion of how they try to alternate colors of UCS sets, Jeremy Beckett (a coauthor of the original LEGO Star Wars Visual Dictionary) winked and said that the next one would be “mostly metallic grey”.

That's the best evidence in favor of it being the razor crest so far IMO. If it was the death star or something (Which is what I personally thought it would be), they'd have just said gray. Metallic gray implies something shiny like the razor crest.

Although I'm not sure how well a UCS razor crest will do. People LOVE the mandalorian, but given the tragic events of December 4th, 2020, the razor crest isn't quite as prominent anymore.

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

That's the best evidence in favor of it being the razor crest so far IMO. If it was the death star or something (Which is what I personally thought it would be), they'd have just said gray. Metallic gray implies something shiny like the razor crest.

Yeah, to clarify, he was explicitly contrasting metallic grey to light grey in response to somebody who was talking about UCS sets of Imperial vehicles tending to just be monochrome blocks. It was a very strong hint in context. 

I like the body on that new 212th but I'm not a fan of those new holes in the helmet, they make it look like the helmet has 2 sets of earpieces & because their edges have to protrude slightly they then disrupt the upper helmet's round profile (doesn't show up too bad on some of the leak photos due to the white background, but on others it's more noticeable, in particular the new one comparing to a 501st trooper from the front. I'd like to be wrong but I imagine it'll be more noticeable in hand against a normal background). Doesn't look good with a rangefinder either, looks like they basically need the sun visor. A shame, as I do like that they've made the brow line stick out which is more accurate. Personally I would have said the better solution would have been to put the holes in the existing ear pieces like most custom P2 helmets and then make a new sun visor piece with the pegs vertically offset to match instead, but that would have meant absolutely needing 2 new moulds instead of 1 so I can see why they did it their way. Though if it's true there's a new sun visor mould too then that rather negates that

Edited by Sabre-aN

3 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Well then. That’s a terrible decision and a ridiculous price point from Lego’s POV, but my wallet is extremely thankful. Now I won’t be buying any Lego until I get the Kenobi sets on May the 4th next year.

4 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Although I'm not sure how well a UCS razor crest will do. People LOVE the mandalorian, but given the tragic events of December 4th, 2020, the razor crest isn't quite as prominent anymore.

I think it’ll do very well. The Mandalorian has been a gigantic success, so I think any adult collector set based off the series would do well. The Razor Crest was destroyed, sure, but it’s still a very iconic ship and I’m sure it has a comparable amount of screen time to other ships that have been represented in UCS form. 

I also think it will do well since it’s releasing just a few months before the next season of the show starts, which will also help boost sales even if there isn’t a Razor Crest in Season 3.

I really like that new 212 Trooper. It’ll go perfectly with the other Clone Troops of the 2020 style. The helmet is also really done well too; it’s almost identical to the previous mold but finally allows for accessories. I think it looks amazing with the rangefinder, I have no doubt that we’re going to see updated Rex and Crosshair figures in the next year or two. The visor looks a little oversized however, but I’m still okay with how it looks.

17 hours ago, Brickadeer said:

I can’t find it anywhere. Can you give me a tip lol?

Edit: Nevermind, found them. 

Edited by AD_Bricks

3 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Yeah, to clarify, he was explicitly contrasting metallic grey to light grey in response to somebody who was talking about UCS sets of Imperial vehicles tending to just be monochrome blocks. It was a very strong hint in context. 

It's totally the razor crest then. 

1 hour ago, The Stud said:

I think it’ll do very well. The Mandalorian has been a gigantic success, so I think any adult collector set based off the series would do well. The Razor Crest was destroyed, sure, but it’s still a very iconic ship and I’m sure it has a comparable amount of screen time to other ships that have been represented in UCS form. 

I also think it will do well since it’s releasing just a few months before the next season of the show starts, which will also help boost sales even if there isn’t a Razor Crest in Season 3.

Yeah, I suppose. Though even with mandalorian being a massive success, $530 is what, the fifth most expensive star wars set ever? 

Personally I love the RC but just don't have the money or space for it yet. I know this is something I'm gonna end up buying at like double the price 5 years from now.

2 hours ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

Well then. That’s a terrible decision and a ridiculous price point from Lego’s POV, but my wallet is extremely thankful. Now I won’t be buying any Lego until I get the Kenobi sets on May the 4th next year.

Maybe a tad bit of an exaggeration, as I'm not sure how not buying the razor crest negates the next two waves of LSW? :wink: What if there's a gonk droid statue?

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

It's totally the razor crest then. 

Yeah, I suppose. Though even with mandalorian being a massive success, $530 is what, the fifth most expensive star wars set ever? 

Personally I love the RC but just don't have the money or space for it yet. I know this is something I'm gonna end up buying at like double the price 5 years from now.

Maybe a tad bit of an exaggeration, as I'm not sure how not buying the razor crest negates the next two waves of LSW? :wink: What if there's a gonk droid statue?

I have to agree with this. Love the Razor Crest, bought the initial set, then upgraded it to Jerac's MOC because I primarily display UCS style ships. But for the price, if true, the RC is not iconic, mainly because it is already gone, and he has moved onto another ship. If this happens, it will be interesting to see how it does. I will be passing for sure. Any time you start getting to $500 plus it better be a MF, AT-AT, or SD, and as much as I love the show, that ship doesn't rank with those. If cool MOC's didn't exist, I might be tempted, but it needs to be better than Jerac's

Build a UCS Mando style N-1 for $200-$250 and I will relent! :rofl:

Any chance someone is working on one of those out there?

3 hours ago, The Stud said:

I think so, too. If there were ever a time to release it, this is it with season 3 close at hand. The ship biting the dust hasn't made it any less interesting for me. For a $530 price point I'm imagining UCS Gunship footprint, possibly bigger. They must be supremely confident in the market for this thing - $530 for a non Skywalker saga UCS set is bold.

The Crest becoming more likely? Love to hear it

28 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

For a $530 price point I'm imagining UCS Gunship footprint, possibly bigger.

I’d guess it’s gonna be about the size of the UCS AT-AT without it’s legs and with 2 big engines if it happens 

9 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I doubt it, lego doesn't usually do that type of thing. The AT-ST raider and Razor Crest weren't updated with the correct helmet color for mando, for instance. In this case, they'd have to make 3 new prints for that part, when the 501st set should be retiring pretty soon anyway. Finch Dallow and Kanan Jarrus's hair color are the exceptions that proves the rule.

On the contrary, LEGO absolutely does put remoulded parts in existing sets and the AT-ST raider is proof. This isn’t about updating the color/prints of some pieces, this is the actual mould used for the part. The technic connector piece used for one of the guns was remoulded midway through the production run… you can find countless posts on this because it made the build impossible to complete lmao. If LEGO determines that it’s more efficient for production to use only 1 clone helmet mould instead of 2 they absolutely will do it. 

As far as a potential UCS Razor Crest goes, that would absolutely sell like hotcakes regardless of price or the ship’s in-universe assembly status. The show is at the height of its popularity, LEGO would be stupid not to capitalise on it. 

35 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

On the contrary, LEGO absolutely does put remoulded parts in existing sets and the AT-ST raider is proof. This isn’t about updating the color/prints of some pieces, this is the actual mould used for the part. The technic connector piece used for one of the guns was remoulded midway through the production run… you can find countless posts on this because it made the build impossible to complete lmao. If LEGO determines that it’s more efficient for production to use only 1 clone helmet mould instead of 2 they absolutely will do it. 

I think what MandalorianKnight is pointing out is that there aren’t currently any copies of the new helmet printed in 501st colors. It wouldn’t be a case of just dropping the new pieces they have into the old set and treating them as equivalent, they would have to specifically print another run of the new helmets. There’s an extra step in there that there hasn’t been in those other cases.

As a completely unrelated thought, it occurs to me that a Razor Crest that was really metallic grey would probably require a *lot* more pieces in pearl grey (or whatever color they use as the base) than have ever existed before. There are only a handful of elements available in any of the metallic colors, not nearly enough to make the whole ship (as demonstrated by the patchiness of the recent N-1 Starfighter set), but it wouldn’t be much of a UCS model if they took the route they did with his helmet and the N-1 and had it mostly light grey with just some metal highlights. If they’re introducing a ton of elements in new colors that might be a factor in driving the price of the set up. 

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

6 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

I think what MandalorianKnight is pointing out is that there aren’t currently any copies of the new helmet printed in 501st colors. It wouldn’t be a case of just dropping the new pieces they have into the old set and treating them as equivalent, they would have to specifically print another run of the new helmets. There’s an extra step in there that there hasn’t been in those other cases.

42 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

As far as a potential UCS Razor Crest goes, that would absolutely sell like hotcakes regardless of price or the ship’s in-universe assembly status. The show is at the height of its popularity, LEGO would be stupid not to capitalise on it. 

Exactly what Kdapt-Preacher says. It's not that simple, it requires new print applications. Hence why I used Kanan and Finch as the two examples of exceptions, although I suppose in Kanan's case they were already going to use that new print in the january 2015 sets, so it's really just Finch where a set has retroactively been updated to that extent. 

11 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

As a completely unrelated thought, it occurs to me that a Razor Crest that was really metallic grey would probably require a *lot* more pieces in pearl grey (or whatever color they use as the base) than have ever existed before. There are only a handful of elements available in any of the metallic colors, not nearly enough to make the whole ship (as demonstrated by the patchiness of the recent N-1 Starfighter set), but it wouldn’t be much of a UCS model if they took the route they did with his helmet and the N-1 and had it mostly light grey with just some metal highlights. If they’re introducing a ton of elements in new colors that might be a factor in driving the price of the set up. 

This could either turn out really well or really poorly based on how much of a price increase there is. Like, if it's a set that would have a $400 or $450 value if bley, a $130/$80 increase for being metallic silver would seem incredibly overpriced to a majority of people, no matter whether or not recoloring those parts would actually cause that much of an increase in production cost or not. If it's something that would probably be priced at around $500 in bley, then it definately seems like it'd be a good move to make it metallic silver for the 5.6% price increase.

39 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

I’m still not entirely sure what you guys are trying to say? Of course there aren’t any of the new helmets currently printed in 501st colours if the new piece hasn’t yet entered production…

I’m looking at it this way: 

The pieces are moulded first and printed on second. LEGO will have the capability to print on both the old and new mould. Let’s say, 6 months down the line, stores of existing mould run out but they have plenty of the new mould. The helmet pieces are functionally the same, why produce more of an outdated mould? Would it not be more efficient to just print on the parts they have on hand? Once they’ve run out of the old mould would it not be better for production to produce more of the new helmet and give it different prints? Doing so wouldn’t take up any more room in the warehouse and it would save time and money because nobody would have to swap out the moulds in the machine that produces the part. It might even save plastic if the new mould weighs less than the old due to the holes. The fact that it would give fans something cool is an afterthought. I’m no expert on optimising production but with what I know of how LEGO works this idea seems very plausible to me. 

1 hour ago, Brikkyy13 said:

The pieces are moulded first and printed on second. LEGO will have the capability to print on both the old and new mould. Let’s say, 6 months down the line, stores of existing mould run out but they have plenty of the new mould. The helmet pieces are functionally the same, why produce more of an outdated mould? Would it not be more efficient to just print on the parts they have on hand? Once they’ve run out of the old mould would it not be better for production to produce more of the new helmet and give it different prints? Doing so wouldn’t take up any more room in the warehouse and it would save time and money because nobody would have to swap out the moulds in the machine that produces the part. It might even save plastic if the new mould weighs less than the old due to the holes. The fact that it would give fans something cool is an afterthought. I’m no expert on optimising production but with what I know of how LEGO works this idea seems very plausible to me. 

Since the production line is already set up for the 501st printing, and has been going for over two years now, I would imagine it is cheaper to keep it going rather than to stop it and restart it, especially if the set isn't going to hang around for too much longer. (Side-note - is it on EOL lists?) There might only be planned and coated production capacity for upcoming sets as well, and although they're the same part before printing, you'd effectively be (at least) doubling the amount of moulded parts, which shortens the life of the mould.

As far as stock goes, I don't imagine TLG would overshoot production targets in such a way that they end up with scores of one type of mould in warehouses, since that is essentially wasted capacity. Any produced helmets will likely end up in a set rather than in a box in a warehouse. (Hope that makes sense!)

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

13 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Well, they did it with later batches of 75166 battle pack (TFA x TLJ FO Stormtrooper helmet design), but that was just updated print on the same mold. This case is propably more complicated. But I hope they give us new mold with 501st prints until they decide to redesign the helmet again.

1 hour ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Since the production line is already set up for the 501st printing, and has been going for over two years now, I would imagine it is cheaper to keep it going rather than to stop it and restart it, especially if the set isn't going to hang around for too much longer. (Side-note - is it on EOL lists?) There might only be planned and coated production capacity for upcoming sets as well, and although they're the same part before printing, you'd effectively be (at least) doubling the amount of moulded parts, which shortens the life of the mould.

As far as stock goes, I don't imagine TLG would overshoot production targets in such a way that they end up with scores of one type of mould in warehouses, since that is essentially wasted capacity. Any produced helmets will likely end up in a set rather than in a box in a warehouse. (Hope that makes sense!)

Yes, the 501st set is on EOL lists… but considering it’s a good seller like some other sets that have been on EOL lists for a few years I’d say there’s a chance that it could stick around.

You’re right when you say LEGO wouldn’t overshoot production targets. I know they keep a small amount of parts to send out as replacements for missing pieces but other then that it’s probably all accounted for. 

As far as it being cheaper to keep production going as is, in most cases I would say you’re right… though I don’t think what I’m suggesting would stop production. This wouldn’t be a case of redesigning a set while it’s still on the shelf, it’d be a case of putting a different mould in the machine before production even starts. As mentioned above, there is precedent for updated moulds making it into sets during its shelf life. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Cube said:

Well, they did it with later batches of 75166 battle pack (TFA x TLJ FO Stormtrooper helmet design), but that was just updated print on the same mold. This case is propably more complicated. But I hope they give us new mold with 501st prints until they decide to redesign the helmet again.

I forgot about this one. That is definitely an example of LEGO updating a set midway through its shelf life to optimise production. Not the same, but comparable. I don’t see how using a different mould would be more complicated than using a different print. 

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. It would be great to be able to put accessories on the 501st and 187th troopers.