MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

9 hours ago, BrickCaster said:

What's your thoughts on the Andor set? I think it is a bit expensive but it looks really cool. I love the minifgures and I can see that Lego is progressing into a more smooth style for ships.

I like it overall; the ship and speeder bike both look like interesting builds. The figures are cool. It’s based on a show that I think looks really good and unique, and it’s also appealing to me as I’m collecting all the sets from the Disney+ shows since I don’t want to miss out on anything like I did with most of the original Rebels and Clone Wars lines.

That being said, the price sucks given the size of the set. I’m not a huge PPP person so while I guess that’s a pretty solid ratio for a Lego Star Wars set, the size of the ship itself looks more akin to a $40 or $50 set. It’s kinda disappointing as well because I feel like Lego Star Wars has surprisingly been reasonably priced this past year (with the exception of some of those 18+ sets). I’ll still be getting it but not until I can get it on sale or use VIP points on it.

12 hours ago, AD_Bricks said:

Yeah, I see what you mean. Last year, though, (this is in AUD) there was a $250 set, a $150 set, a $90 set, and some smaller ones, but this year there's a $250, a $200, a $160, a $120, and fewer smaller ones.

Ah. Some of that may just come down to different pricing. Also, which of the $100 USD sets is $160 down under, and which is $120 for you guys? Seems odd there'd be that big of a difference for sets priced the same in the US and Europe.

3 hours ago, The Stud said:

I like it overall; the ship and speeder bike both look like interesting builds. The figures are cool. It’s based on a show that I think looks really good and unique, and it’s also appealing to me as I’m collecting all the sets from the Disney+ shows since I don’t want to miss out on anything like I did with most of the original Rebels and Clone Wars lines.

That being said, the price sucks given the size of the set. I’m not a huge PPP person so while I guess that’s a pretty solid ratio for a Lego Star Wars set, the size of the ship itself looks more akin to a $40 or $50 set. It’s kinda disappointing as well because I feel like Lego Star Wars has surprisingly been reasonably priced this past year (with the exception of some of those 18+ sets). I’ll still be getting it but not until I can get it on sale or use VIP points on it.

yeah it and the $20 snowtrooper battle pack feel like the exceptions to everything else being decently priced. Just compare the Andor set to the Inquisitor ship or BD-1, it looks like you get double the value with either of them for only $30 more compared to the Andor set

It'd be cool if Omega had her head pendant Kaminoan jewelry thing printed on her second face.

6 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Ah. Some of that may just come down to different pricing. Also, which of the $100 USD sets is $160 down under, and which is $120 for you guys? Seems odd there'd be that big of a difference for sets priced the same in the US and Europe.

The $100 USD, $160 AUD set is the Scythe, and the $120 AUD is the $70 USD Andor set. I forgot to include the BD-1 set in my earlier post, so add another $160 AUD set to that.

1 hour ago, AD_Bricks said:

The $100 USD, $160 AUD set is the Scythe, and the $120 AUD is the $70 USD Andor set. I forgot to include the BD-1 set in my earlier post, so add another $160 AUD set to that.

Ah. I was wondering if they priced the Scythe more than BD-1.  Yeah, these sets are getting pretty expensive. I think most of them this year are a good value (andor set excluded), but more $15-50 sets would be very nice. Hell, do some $10 sets that are little system scale playsets or speeders with a figure or two.

There are images of the physical sets for the scythe, BD-1, and the andor set people took at celebration. BD-1 looks amazing, first off. I pre-ordered that set and I want it so bad. Ambush on Ferrix... ah, I'm liking it less now that I see the physical images. That shuttle really does look quite small for $70, I really think they should have included at least another one or two blue uniformed soldiers. I also don't think Cassian should be that darker skin tone, looking at images of Diego Luna I think the light nougat color is more accurate. The Scythe looks good. There was only one shot of it that I could find, focused on the figures, so you really only see the underside. It's got the landing gear from Krennic's shuttle. The underside doesn't look great, but I mean, what do you expect, it's the bottom of the ship. It did really sell me on the SIZE of the ship. This thing looks like it's really sizable for $99.99.

9 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

There are images of the physical sets for the scythe, BD-1, and the andor set people took at celebration.

Can you please send a link? I can't find them online.

On 5/25/2022 at 2:10 AM, The Stud said:

Just out of curiosity, why? The show looks pretty cool and I think it’s great to see so many characters making the jump from animation to live-action, even if I have mixed feelings about how the GI and Fifth Brother look.

Spoiler

Unlike many dogmatic OT fans I think you can do a show or movie of EVERYTHING if you do it right.

But what initially was reported to be a character driven, spiritual show about "Ben Kenobi" in a desert, coping with a horrible situation looks to me like it's full of stuff that doesn't belong there and or wasn't built up.

I loved in Rebels how much they did NOT give in the bashing of CW fans ("we want this we want that and we want it now") and took their time for the main cast, never lost focus on them. Whenever other characters appeared, it was earned, they (Ahsoka, Rex and others) had their place and contributed to the main story instead of taking away.

Luke in the Mando finale was the only thing that felt right to me but then they also went completely off the rails in the Boba Fett show.

I'm not opposed to them showing us how Kenobi and Leia met. There's great potential. But I've watched like 10 minutes of clips and the acting, setting etc. look more cringy than the prequels. I feel like this script was written in the morning right before shooting the scenes on a green screen.

Mando S1+2 also felt cheap and not well written or acted at (rare) times. But it was simple, simple settings (a forest, a Jawa vehicle, a corridor), simple story, easy to enjoy. If they put in so many grand things though, they gotta do better - not worse.

Like: which GI did you like more? Kenobi version or the one in Rebels? If they couldnt get the Lucius Malfoy actor then why even use the GI. The guy even had the looks!

2 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

But I've watched like 10 minutes of clips and the acting, setting etc. look more cringy than the prequels. I feel like this script was written in the morning right before shooting the scenes on a green screen.

If you've only seen 10 minutes of clips then I'd say you're not really in a position to judge the show. 

And, they literally worked on the scripts for years. First as a feature film, then as a series. Having watched the first two episodes several times myself, I'm not really seeing anything that merits this level of disdain... you're entitled to your opinion of course (though, again... maybe watch the show before you form that opinion?), but to me at least this series is a long step up from Book of Boba, and even some of the lesser episodes of Mando.

3... 2... 1 minutes before a mod says "back on topic, please".

A recap: 

The Scythe is perfect; I love the variety of techniques used to achieve the shaping on the front mandibles, the smooth underside to the wings (something that has been missing from basically every other shuttle that LEGO has made), and the vast amount of interior space (the most of any shuttle, IMO - In addition to the three included, I can see 4-5 additional Minifigs fitting easily). The only part that I dislike is the lack of detail/accuracy for the Third Sister; she needs a new hairpiece, legs printed with a dark grey stripe down the centre, and a new semicircular Inquisitor saber hilt. As, from what I have seen, she seems to be a particularly significant character in the series, my initial disappointment with her design has been compounded. Hopefully LEGO will rectify this in a future wave (or even a Microfighter), as there is still trailer material that we have not gotten yet (Fourth Sister, Purge Troopers, etc). 
As for the Andor set, I have somewhat mixed feelings; for $70, a fourth Minifig should have been included (a second blue-Orange officer would have worked, and it would have cost LEGO little to nothing). The speeder bike looks good, and I like the smooth shape of the ship; I am bothered by the stubby wings and the fact that the rear door does not connect to the main cabin, however I am reserving judgment on the size and capacity until I see more of the real ship. When I first saw these ships in the trailer, I assumed that they were LAAT/i-sized, but the name “Mobile Tac-Pod” seems to suggest a smaller vehicle. That said, regardless of its real size, I appreciate the set’s surprisingly large interior - A seat for the pilot, four seats for passengers, and a bit of space for cargo. Regardless of how well-scaled it is, I like that LEGO is giving us vehicles with larger carrying-capacities. 

16 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I also don't think Cassian should be that darker skin tone, looking at images of Diego Luna I think the light nougat color is more accurate. 

When you look at pictures from R1 of Cassian and Jyn together, Cassian is just a bit darker, so I like the use of the Mando skin-tone. BTW, on this topic, it looks like Reva’s head is the new Medium Brown, not Reddish Brown. 

6 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:
  Reveal hidden contents

But I've watched like 10 minutes of clips and the acting, setting etc. look more cringy than the prequels. I feel like this script was written in the morning right before shooting the scenes on a green screen.

I disagree. While I have only seen clips as well, thus far, I have loved everything that I have seen. Daiyu does feel like a PT-era location, and the rooftop scene has very Prequel-y stylisation, but I like those elements of the Prequels (and just the Prequels in general), so I have no problems with that. A few other parts appear to draw specifically from TPM, but that seems intentional, and the acting has been quite good. 

Apparently, I can just write spoilers in-line on mobile! 

Leia feels like a hybrid of TPM Anakin and Padmé, but with better acting, which has been brilliant! It really cements her as their daughter, which is an aspect of the character that I have found to be underdeveloped in the past. Also, Reva’s Force-user wirework parkour is not something that I knew that I needed, but it works and feels like a good translation of TCW Jedi movements into live-action! 

As for the Grand Inquisitor, HE. IS. NOT. DEAD. Rebels is still Canon; anyone who says otherwise is merely farming drama and playing to the Star Wars “fans” who have formed their entire identities around hating everything new and criticising Disney/KK (not that fans have to like every aspect of the franchise; I am just referring to the Doomcock-types who have built their brands and content around such toxicity). 
Regarding the stab itself, I think that there is a subtle parallel being drawn between the Grand Inquisitor and Qui-Gon; both die/“die” at the hands of a Sith* using a double-bladed** lightsaber while Obi-Wan looks on from behind a barrier. Both manage to cheat death, but while the GI (presumably) uses the Dark Side to stay alive and learns that “there are some things far more frightening than death”, Qui-Gon accepts his death peacefully and is able to become one with the Force. Since Obi-Wan calls out to Qui-Gon after his nightmare in the first episode, I expect that we will end up seeing/hearing him later in the show, as Kenobi reconnects with the Force. We might even get a direct juxtaposition of these themes, such as a scene of the Grand Inquisitor surviving and being tortured by Vader while Qui-Gon trains Obi-Wan. 

*I know that the Inquisitors are not Sith, but they are related, and it was easier to write for the sake of comparison. 
**Reva only had one blade activated, while Maul had both, but again, I think that the parallel holds up.

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

I'm a bit disappointed that -as with the AAT- it seems like Lego can't give us the right shape of a Delta-7 after the first one back in 2002. Both the 2017 version and this year's one look more like Delta-7B with the higher cockpit placement and the bulk to hide the astromech's body, and the unexpected price raise from 30 to 35 € after it was announced puts the new one straight in the "maybe at a discount" pile. Same goes for the Andor mini-gunship/carrier, I kind of like the design but again 80€ seems quite steep as a price, I'll have to wait for some in-hand reviews to pop up before considering it. Also while it thematically fits the period and possible imperial aesthetic, it's another LBG bulky box. I know it's not TLG's fault, but I would love for some other color to appear sometimes, I "had to" buy some Vidyo sets just to build something more colorful lately :D

53 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

When you look at pictures from R1 of Cassian and Jyn together, Cassian is just a bit darker, so I like the use of the Mando skin-tone. BTW, on this topic, it looks like Reva’s head is the new Medium Brown, not Reddish Brown. 

From a quick google, it seems kind of lighting dependent. There are images of cassian and jyn together where they both seem to have a darker skin tone, and some where they have a lighter one. I mean, ultimately, I don't really care, it's a pretty minor thing. That whole figure just doesn't look like Cassian to me between the skin tone, hair, outfit, facial expression, beard, but that's probably at least in part just that we haven't seen him in that outfit yet. Reva's head is fine, though I wonder if the medium brown is the same as the old bionicle medium brown. Honestly I think she needed a new hairpiece though, it would have been a nice bit of exclusivity to a figure that seems otherwise pretty bland compared to the other ones in the set (I maintain that Reva needed a helmet or hat of some kind, literally every other inquisitor does, even if GI doesn't wear his all the time). Even Kenobi has that new poncho that I'll be immediately removing and giving to my Cal figure when I get the set.
Doesn't mean I don't think the Scythe is a great set. It's definately got a great, sizable build, and I really think it's good for the price too. The figures are also great. 4 in a $100 set is a little weak in concept, but given how detailed they are (GI and 5th brother especially) it's definately a case of quality over quantity, and i think i'd prefer it to if the figures had been weaker but there were a couple stormtroopers added or something.

2 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

A recap: 

The Scythe is perfect; I love the variety of techniques used to achieve the shaping on the front mandibles, the smooth underside to the wings (something that has been missing from basically every other shuttle that LEGO has made), and the vast amount of interior space (the most of any shuttle, IMO - In addition to the three included, I can see 4-5 additional Minifigs fitting easily). The only part that I dislike is the lack of detail/accuracy for the Third Sister; she needs a new hairpiece, legs printed with a dark grey stripe down the centre, and a new semicircular Inquisitor saber hilt. As, from what I have seen, she seems to be a particularly significant character in the series, my initial disappointment with her design has been compounded. Hopefully LEGO will rectify this in a future wave (or even a Microfighter), as there is still trailer material that we have not gotten yet (Fourth Sister, Purge Troopers, etc). 
As for the Andor set, I have somewhat mixed feelings; for $70, a fourth Minifig should have been included (a second blue-Orange officer would have worked, and it would have cost LEGO little to nothing). The speeder bike looks good, and I like the smooth shape of the ship; I am bothered by the stubby wings and the fact that the rear door does not connect to the main cabin, however I am reserving judgment on the size and capacity until I see more of the real ship. When I first saw these ships in the trailer, I assumed that they were LAAT/i-sized, but the name “Mobile Tac-Pod” seems to suggest a smaller vehicle. That said, regardless of its real size, I appreciate the set’s surprisingly large interior - A seat for the pilot, four seats for passengers, and a bit of space for cargo. Regardless of how well-scaled it is, I like that LEGO is giving us vehicles with larger carrying-capacities. 

I disagree. While I have only seen clips as well, thus far, I have loved everything that I have seen. Daiyu does feel like a PT-era location, and the rooftop scene has very Prequel-y stylisation, but I like those elements of the Prequels (and just the Prequels in general), so I have no problems with that. A few other parts appear to draw specifically from TPM, but that seems intentional, and the acting has been quite good. 

Hide contents

Apparently, I can just write spoilers in-line on mobile! 

Hide contents

Leia feels like a hybrid of TPM Anakin and Padmé, but with better acting, which has been brilliant! It really cements her as their daughter, which is an aspect of the character that I have found to be underdeveloped in the past. Also, Reva’s Force-user wirework parkour is not something that I knew that I needed, but it works and feels like a good translation of TCW Jedi movements into live-action! 

As for the Grand Inquisitor, HE. IS. NOT. DEAD. Rebels is still Canon; anyone who says otherwise is merely farming drama and playing to the Star Wars “fans” who have formed their entire identities around hating everything new and criticising Disney/KK (not that fans have to like every aspect of the franchise; I am just referring to the Doomcock-types who have built their brands and content around such toxicity). 
Regarding the stab itself, I think that there is a subtle parallel being drawn between the Grand Inquisitor and Qui-Gon; both die/“die” at the hands of a Sith* using a double-bladed** lightsaber while Obi-Wan looks on from behind a barrier. Both manage to cheat death, but while the GI (presumably) uses the Dark Side to stay alive and learns that “there are some things far more frightening than death”, Qui-Gon accepts his death peacefully and is able to become one with the Force. Since Obi-Wan calls out to Qui-Gon after his nightmare in the first episode, I expect that we will end up seeing/hearing him later in the show, as Kenobi reconnects with the Force. We might even get a direct juxtaposition of these themes, such as a scene of the Grand Inquisitor surviving and being tortured by Vader while Qui-Gon trains Obi-Wan. 

*I know that the Inquisitors are not Sith, but they are related, and it was easier to write for the sake of comparison. 
**Reva only had one blade activated, while Maul had both, but again, I think that the parallel holds up.

Every word of what you just said… was right.

The Bad Batch Season 2 trailer just dropped and it looks like The Bad Batch themselves are getting new looks. I really hope Lego gets caught up with making sets for this series, there’s still stuff I want from Season One let alone getting new minifigs for the entire main cast as well as still needing a Republic Crosshair.

The Bad Batch trailer for season 2 is online. It seems they all get a little rework on their armor (212th like?) so we’ll probably get a new version of the whole team. More interestingly, it appears Cody may be in the new season as well, which may also mean the rumoured AT-TE with Cody can ride the wave of his popularity in the show.

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

From a quick google, it seems kind of lighting dependent. There are images of cassian and jyn together where they both seem to have a darker skin tone, and some where they have a lighter one. 

In the shots of them in even, clear, lighting, Jyn has light skin with pinkish undertones, while Cassian has light skin with olive undertones (making him a bit darker). Additionally, I like that LEGO is using a darker skin tone for a character played by a Mexican actor, rather than defaulting to the colour used for White/White-played characters. 

MCDROON_EC076_H.JPG

rogue-one-005-2000.jpg

2 hours ago, The Stud said:

I really hope Lego gets caught up with making sets for this series, there’s still stuff I want from Season One let alone getting new minifigs for the entire main cast as well as still needing a Republic Crosshair.

Agreed! 

2 hours ago, Jazzahh said:

It seems they all get a little rework on their armor (212th like?) so we’ll probably get a new version of the whole team. 

It looks like the BB are moving away from the uniform armour designs of the Republic, in favour of a more cobbled-together Rebel-like appearance. I think that the shift from red (the colour most associated with the Republic) to orange (a colour associated with the Rebellion - particularly the early Rebels-era Rebellion) is also intentional in this regard. 

2 hours ago, Jazzahh said:

More interestingly, it appears Cody may be in the new season as well, which may also mean the rumoured AT-TE with Cody can ride the wave of his popularity in the show.

He is (another trailer leaked, which makes it clear that the Clone in-question is Cody), though his orange detailing has been changed to grey, so the Minifig in the AT-TE will not match his TBB appearance. As an aside, I like what I have seen of the design for Imperial Cody; swapping orange for grey makes him fit better among the other Imperial troops, while still retaining his iconic appearance. 

2 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

In the shots of them in even, clear, lighting, Jyn has light skin with pinkish undertones, while Cassian has light skin with olive undertones (making him a bit darker). Additionally, I like that LEGO is using a darker skin tone for a character played by a Mexican actor, rather than defaulting to the colour used for White/White-played characters. 

I still don't see the color difference in those images, might just be my eyes.

As for the second part of that, if we're gonna go there, wouldn't it make more sense to use the color best representing the character (again, might just be my eyes) than to have different colors correspond to different ethnicities regardless of skin tone? No reason for light nougat to be exclusive to characters played by actors of European descent. 

And again, I don't really care about this much, just a minor nitpick. But now that I've had to look at the figure again over the skin tone, I've noticed his beard is now a solid color rather than the more textured look of his RO face, which is even more annoying.

3 hours ago, Gontron said:

Nice to see Scorch and Cody back. 

With how much the both trailers showed the republic commandos, I'm crossing my fingers that they'll be a significant enough part of the plot to warrant figures. Cody definately seems to have some real screen time here as well, though with a new armor color. 

And where's the love for my boi Gungi! He probably won't get a figure 

5 hours ago, Jazzahh said:

The Bad Batch trailer for season 2 is online. It seems they all get a little rework on their armor (212th like?) so we’ll probably get a new version of the whole team. More interestingly, it appears Cody may be in the new season as well, which may also mean the rumoured AT-TE with Cody can ride the wave of his popularity in the show.

The new designs are pretty cool. Love that their armor is more mismatched and colorful, and the cloth elements to it, it really gives you the sense they're no longer part of an official army and have hit some rougher times. I do wish they'd kept the color red in it, since we see red associated with the good guys so little, but if the orange means there is a correlation to the 212th, I'm all for it.

Good to know LEGO got the Cody out for the new BB season and LEGO Star Wars game.Although there probably not giving his imperial look anytime soon lol.I’m surprised they didn’t give him a special type of storm/clone trooper armor.

Edited by Displayedaction

I’m so excited for the Bad Batch Season 2. I really hope we get a Gungi minifigure. 

The only thing I’m upset about is that the new outfits probably means that the 1st version of Omega will probably be exclusive to the Justifier, which is really annoying.

1 hour ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

I’m so excited for the Bad Batch Season 2. I really hope we get a Gungi minifigure. 

The only thing I’m upset about is that the new outfits probably means that the 1st version of Omega will probably be exclusive to the Justifier, which is really annoying.

Complete long shot, but if we do get a gungi (which is probably not happening) I hope he has a new mold. His fur is different from Chewie's, and he has the shoulder pauldron.

I didn't realize Omega had a full new outfit, I thought it was just a hat...if they're doing a new outfit, for god's sake hunter, give her some armor! I know she's a kid, but with the Fett DNA she should at least be able to have a chestplate!

14 hours ago, Displayedaction said:

Good to know LEGO got the Cody out for the new BB season and LEGO Star Wars game.Although there probably not giving his imperial look anytime soon lol.I’m surprised they didn’t give him a special type of storm/clone trooper armor.

I suppose we will have to see how important he is in the new season, but if he does end up being one of the main antagonists then there's a decent shot we'll get him. Lego obviously knows he's super popular, so that also might count for something.

15 minutes ago, Meadius said:

I suppose we will have to see how important he is in the new season, but if he does end up being one of the main antagonists then there's a decent shot we'll get him. Lego obviously knows he's super popular, so that also might count for something.

Plus they’re making a new helmet mold that they’ll probably want to reuse

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I didn't realize Omega had a full new outfit, I thought it was just a hat...if they're doing a new outfit, for god's sake hunter, give her some armor! I know she's a kid, but with the Fett DNA she should at least be able to have a chestplate!

She does have at least a bit. Not Mando-style hard armor, but she’s got a heavier-looking jacket and elbow and knee pads. Dave Filoni specifically mentioned in the panel that they wanted to give her more protection than she’d had; he described the “Kaminoan pajamas” as “reckless”.