MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

4 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Really you think Minifigures aren't a very important factor in buying a $50-$70 set? Sorry but that's a bit absurd. LEGO has been locking cool exclusive Minifigures into $100+ sets for decades and it's not like it's a coincidence. Minifigures are part of the package and can totally throw people over the line into buying a set or not. I'm talking about people who are somewhat interested in the set and weighing it up, not people who have no interest and are buying it ONLY for figures, which I agree wouldn't be the case for a $200 set.

Sure, but I'm not saying that minifigures aren't an important factor in a $50-70 set. I'm saying that one exclusive version of a figure isn't an important factor for most people for a $50-70 set. That's a fair amount of money, and when it comes down to it, a single figure is a very small part of a set that size. And for a $200 set, it goes from unlikely for most people to just patently absurd.

3 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Hello there

You spent $320AU on a lego set because of a single minifigure? Like, if it was a new character we hadn't seen before, I'd get it at least a little, but just for a boot on c-3po? Why?

Edited by Mandalorianknight

35 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

You spent $320AU on a lego set because of a single minifigure? Like, if it was a new character we hadn't seen before, I'd get it at least a little, but just for a boot on c-3po? Why?

I mean, I haven't yet spent $2000 on a chrome gold C-3PO, but I'm probably going to at some point (and I regret not having spent $700 back when that was what they cost), so $320AU seems pretty reasonable. Plenty of people collect minifigures! Obviously you can buy the figures separately, but for something like this they usually end up costing $100+ secondhand anyway, so it usually makes more sense to just buy the whole set if it's not that much more.

19 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Why does anybody spend money on anything? Because they want it.

I bought the UCS TIE, A-Wing, and Landspeeder at full price each simply because of their minifigs. I could have paid less for the figs on Brinklink true, i did that for the figs in the UCS Y-Wing and Snowspeeder, have you looked at the prices of those figs though? At minimum you're shelling out half the price of each of those sets to get the figs, why not pay the whole sum and get the other 99% of the parts that came in the set. 

Many of us admire these sets but would not make the move to purchase for the model alone even when we can afford them.

40 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I'm saying that one exclusive version of a figure isn't an important factor for most people for a $50-70 set. That's a fair amount of money, and when it comes down to it, a single figure is a very small part of a set that size. 

You're narrowing it down to very specific parameters. I bought the last AAT because of Ahsoka. Ok that one was only $40 (in the US, more here in Aus). I don't care much about her clone trooper and the actual tank didn't look great. Had I know she'd come in another smaller set I probably wouldn't have bought it, but they got me. And like others have chimed in, I could've BL'd her for a bit less but I felt like I might as well buy the whole set.

But anyway, my initial point was just that a $200 UCS set of not the most interesting subject matter has something a little extra special included with it. Not the most radical special thing, but a special thing, and if that wasn't one part of its selling point then it wouldn't be there or it would've been included in the simultaneously released version of that same character.

33 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I didn't particularly care for the set myself before I saw it in person and thought it might look good on the wall, but here's a few reasons why I bought it (and I'm in Canada so it cost $269.99CAD + tax):

1. I collect minifigures. To get the set-exclusive C-3P0 minifigure on the aftermarket will probably cost over $100CAD.
  2. I collect minifigures. To get the Aunt Beru figure in the exclusive GWP that came with the Landspeeder will probably cost over $100CAD.
  3. I wanted the Beskar keychain to go with the Carbonite Han keychain I have already, and I assume that'll sell for at least $50 soon enough, like the Carbonite Han one currently does.

I wanted both of the figs and I can afford the extra money over the (estimated) likely cost of the 3 things I wanted alone, so to me the economics make sense. I also get the Landspeeder to either resell, part out or build & display, plus all 4 of the available GWPs. Since I got them in person from the Lego store (and I'd have to pay extra postage as well if I bought the figs on Bricklink later), I calculated that I'd break even on the deal. Plus I have them now, not later. :thumbup:

I'm trying to collect as many of the OT figures as possible so I'll probably BL the blue-milk Luke polybag sometime, which will likely be stupidly expensive if TLC insist on making it exclusive to the game packs... 

17 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

And I can't even order the N1. Says it's been moved to June 1st.

Has it not always been a June 1st release?

9 minutes ago, manglegrat said:

I'll probably BL the blue-milk Luke polybag sometime, which will likely be stupidly expensive if TLC insist on making it exclusive to the game packs... 

I don't know you so you might disagree entirely depending on your personal opinion on the game, but I would recommend just getting the game itself as the figure itself will probably later be more expensive than it + the game right now.

8 minutes ago, AD_Bricks said:

I don't know you so you might disagree entirely depending on your personal opinion on the game, but I would recommend just getting the game itself as the figure itself will probably later be more expensive than it + the game right now.

I don't disagree at all. However, if I wanted to buy a copy (even for a console I don't own) just to get the fig and then resell the game, the deluxe pack has been sold out on every platform in every online store I've checked in Canada for weeks... :def_shrug:

Cool to get yet another skin tone - now we have 6 if you don't count tan and some orange colours used before.

If any Ezra or Sabine figures should appear again, I hope they'll use them new colours. Both never looked quite "white" while Kanans skin tone didn't fit them either.

The Naboo fighter is horrible though.. I get TLG makes if oversized to include some play features and fit the price. But the amount of dark grey and exposed studs is so weird for a 90% silver and smooth ship.

Whilst I wouldn't buy a big set just for the figs, they can be a deciding factor.

Like say the AT-TE I'd like an AT-TE either way but I'd be more enticed by one with Cody, Grevious and some 212th troopers than if they made one with Mundi, the galactic marines and bacara.

So if the set felt overpriced and I was on the fence then the minifigurrs would be a deciding factor.

2 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

Like say the AT-TE I'd like an AT-TE either way but I'd be more enticed by one with Cody, Grevious and some 212th troopers than if they made one with Mundi, the galactic marines and bacara.

That second figure selection sounds way more enticing to me than the first... 🤤

8 hours ago, AD_Bricks said:

Has it not always been a June 1st release?

I should have specified "pre-order"

Really disappointed with the may the 4th, the LEGO store in Belgium had almost nothing in stock. Most sets that were available were from 2 waves ago. Only new set was Dark Trooper attack, no republic fighter tank, no clone trooper packs, store employee didn’t even understand what I was talking about. After all this time they give a good promo, but nothing to fill up the 160€. Of course there was no supply problem for the OT sets, those kept on being stocked and restocked on the shelves… 

Think I have missed a trick the last few years as I only buy UCS sets for the model, really don’t care about the included mini figs so guess I will try selling them on.

11 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Whilst I wouldn't buy a big set just for the figs, they can be a deciding factor.

So if the set felt overpriced and I was on the fence then the minifigurrs would be a deciding factor.

While I agree with you compelety on fig-price correlation. The 2nd selection is absolutely goated. 

Holo-Brick Archives is teasing news on Summer 2022 Lego Star Wars, so it looks like we can look forward to getting some news before Celebration after all. I just want to hear more about the minifigure selections at this point.

Wow, ok. I apparently misjudged how many people will pay $200 for C-3PO's leg. My mind is absolutely blown that people will shell out that much for a single print on a single figure. I'm not talking about getting the $40 AAT for a new version of ahsoka, who hadn't been seen at all in half a decade, or even the $140 AT-AT if it included P2 Cody, a desirable character never sold in that version and not sold in other versions in a decade (though personally that one's still crazy to me $140 is a lot of money for a single fig). The fact that people are spending hundreds because they want a slight improvement to a figure we get nearly every wave? That's crazy to me.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

44 minutes ago, The Stud said:

Holo-Brick Archives is teasing news on Summer 2022 Lego Star Wars, so it looks like we can look forward to getting some news before Celebration after all. I just want to hear more about the minifigure selections at this point.

Me too, with potential inquisitors, Commander Cody Kaminoans and more all up in the air, seems like a strong possibility of getting some very cool minifigures this summer!

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Wow, ok. I apparently misjudged how many people will pay $200 for C-3PO's leg. My mind is absolutely blown that people will shell out that much for a single print on a single figure. I'm not talking about getting the $40 AAT for a new version of ahsoka, who hadn't been seen at all in half a decade, or even the $140 AT-AT if it included P2 Cody, a desirable character never sold in that version and not sold in other versions in a decade (though personally that one's still crazy to me $140 is a lot of money for a single fig). The fact that people are spending hundreds because they want a slight improvement to a figure we get nearly every wave? That's crazy to me.

I think it's less the figure itself and a combination of two factors.

1) The benefit vs. cost of acquiring the figure with the set versus by itself is generally in your favor if it's a desirable figure or an expensive set, because the figure itself will end up being a large portion of the set's cost.  Look at MBS Cloud City, for example.  That set was $350.  Taking the cheapest BL prices, Lando is now $123, Leia is $52, Han is $62, and Boba Fett is $108.  Those alone are $345, effectively the cost of the set, which also included like fifteen other figures, two ships, and the entire build of Cloud City itself.  Even before the prices on those blew up over the past year or two, the cost of all of the set's figures put together was still about the same cost of the MSRP of the set itself.  The Cantina is a great example of this, as last I checked, the price of all of the figures was close to $200-250, so at that point you may as well just buy the whole thing.  If you want the figure(s), it's a pretty safe bet that, at worst, you can probably resell the model itself later and recoup most of the cost, especially if it's a UCS/MBS model. 

2) If it's a model I have slight interest in, but the figures are mediocre, I'd be less likely to buy it, whereas the same model with a specific desirable figure means I'd be more likely to buy it.  In that way, I'm not just buying it for that figure, but I'm buying a model that includes a figure I really want.

23 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

You spent $320AU on a lego set because of a single minifigure?

Yes, you betcha. Others have done a good job offering justification as to why. I prefer spaceships over spaceshitboxes but I’d rather pay the full price and get a good build and GWPs then fork out 1/3 of the price for one figure. If it were any other character it probably wouldn’t have the same effect on me, I didn’t go out of my way to get the exclusive pilots and droids from previous UCS sets, but it’s C-3PO finally with his silver leg.

LEGO has me hook, line and sinker and they know it. 

So ya know that $200 silver leg that might have been mentioned once or twice? Got to the last bag of my Landspeeder to find out that specifically the silver leg on my 3PO is misprinted :iamded_lol::cry_sad::cry2:. Like literally the side printing is printed over the front printing and the side is blank. I'm sure C-3PO could tell me the odds of that happening.

Lego is sending a new one straight from Denmark because their Customer Service is amazing, but I'm a broken record about their quality control growing worse and worse.

1 hour ago, Archer said:

So ya know that $200 silver leg that might have been mentioned once or twice? Got to the last bag of my Landspeeder to find out that specifically the silver leg on my 3PO is misprinted :iamded_lol::cry_sad::cry2:. Like literally the side printing is printed over the front printing and the side is blank. I'm sure C-3PO could tell me the odds of that happening.

Lego is sending a new one straight from Denmark because their Customer Service is amazing, but I'm a broken record about their quality control growing worse and worse.

Depending on how common that misprint turns out to be your minifig could be worth a lot of money. 

7 hours ago, TBD said:

Depending on how common that misprint turns out to be your minifig could be worth a lot of money. 

That crossed my mind. We'll see I may just slap the misprint on my Restraining Bolt C-3PO in my display,

13 hours ago, Archer said:

This might be worth hundreds if it's not common, which is the chief thing. I sold a guy a few helmet misprints for $150 awhile back, but common ones like lopsided R2 head or the 501st trooper's helmet "face" being to low aren't worth much.

Very interesting to me that most of the new Star Wars set names are up on Brickset. It's all information we already know, but could it signify a reveal soon?

I've placed a couple orders online, but stopped by my local store today and picked up the UCS Landspeeder. I thought the keychain promo was cool but was expecting it to be some cheaper plastic, boy was I wrong. This keychain is super solid and cool. Glad I'll have a couple of them.

As for the $530.00 set that's supposed to be coming in the fall, have we gotten many rumors regarding it? I had seen a Yavin IV rebel base rumor, but that's the only thing I've seen so far. (Not even sure if that's even close to reliable)