MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

4 hours ago, Willsy said:

Just received the fighter tank this morning. Overall a pretty good set! Minifigs are great, the tank is actually a nice build, the worst part about it is the gap between the canopy piece. I do think there was a missed opportunity to bring back the seat-raising function from the original version though, I'm sure they could have worked it in. All in all though I'm happy with it and I think I prefer it to the 2017 version.  

Got my tanks today too :D I didn’t expect to enjoy the build as much as I did. 

The model is a nice compromise between the previous two versions. Figures are great, of course. Love that the tank can fit all 3 clones in it. I swapped the canopy piece for a transparent one from an X-Wing just to see how it looked, it was cool. I’m impressed by the size and the proportions don’t bother me at all. Scales really well with the recent AAT.

There is always room for improvement. Maybe a weapons rack side build? Super battle droids instead of normal battle droids? More battle droids? Anyway, great set all round and probably one of the best value for money Star Wars sets on the shelf at the moment. I bought 4 at rrp, that’s still less money than 1 light cruiser.

Received the Tank and the three diorama sets today :thumbup: Too bad one of the parcels got damaged somewhere during transport, so my trash compactor box is completely smushed :distressed: Guess it lives up to its name :tongue:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

7 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

my trash compactor box is completely smushed :distressed: Guess it lives up to its name :tongue:

Lol, that’s hilarious, but nonetheless unfortunate.

Still no fighter tanks in Australia besides on LSAH. C’mon, LEGO, get on with it please. 

19 minutes ago, AD_Bricks said:

Lol, that’s hilarious, but nonetheless unfortunate.

Still no fighter tanks in Australia besides on LSAH. C’mon, LEGO, get on with it please. 

Its release date is the first of May. Waiting this long is to be expected.

I have to say the UCS Landspeeder is growing on me the more I watch reviews of it. It surely doesn’t lend itself perfectly for the UCS slot, but the overall design of the model is pretty much flawless I’d say. And given the often heard complaint that a lot of Star Wars vehicles are just piles of grey bricks, I absolutely love all the nougat pieces :grin:

5 hours ago, AD_Bricks said:

Same in NZ, and the Auckland store doesn't have the dioramas either. Only new set they will have for May 4th is the landspeeder which barely anyone cares about.

Edited by 1340cc

I really hope this Fighter Tank is a template for 30-50$ jedi and their clone sets for the next few years. I've just built it, and as many others have said it is one of the few Star Wars sets right now that feels worth it's price tag. I feel the set sort of condenses the best elements of the 501st and AAT sets from 2020, and without getting wishlisty there is potential for this type of set for many clone / jedi units. 

47 minutes ago, Archer said:

I really hope this Fighter Tank is a template for 30-50$ jedi and their clone sets for the next few years. I've just built it, and as many others have said it is one of the few Star Wars sets right now that feels worth it's price tag. I feel the set sort of condenses the best elements of the 501st and AAT sets from 2020, and without getting wishlisty there is potential for this type of set for many clone / jedi units. 

I'm already starting to notice a bit of a trend actually: first the Imperial Armoured Marauder, now the Fighter Tank. You could maybe argue the AAT as well but the figure selection there is arguably weaker than the $40 ground transport sets that succeeded it. I do wonder if we'll be seeing a set of this format every year with a small-ish ground vehicle and a decent number of amassable figures. Also, with that rumour of the AT-TE including a few clones (not sure if that was debunked or not), perhaps Lego are finally starting to be more lenient with trooper distributions in sets where it would make sense. 

Brick Fanatics spoke with some designers, who said that gunship feedback made them change their mind on exclusive figures. At this point, they're listening to the fans too much. Whatever decision they make, people are going to whine about it, no need to constantly flip-flop.

23 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Brick Fanatics spoke with some designers, who said that gunship feedback made them change their mind on exclusive figures. At this point, they're listening to the fans too much. Whatever decision they make, people are going to whine about it, no need to constantly flip-flop.

They shouldn't treat the fans as a single minded group, the loudest voices opinions often aren't the most universal ones.

15 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

They shouldn't treat the fans as a single minded group, the loudest voices opinions often aren't the most universal ones.

No kidding, it makes being on Lego pages on Instagram and Reddit insufferable.

Also, what do you wanna bet we don't see anything revealed tomorrow from Jb Spielwarren but maybe get the whole summer wave later this month? I don't think any of the summer sets were officially revealed last year till Lego Con, if I remember correctly, but they leaked pretty early on in the year. 

44 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

God dammit. This group of whiners have ruined it for the rest of us. Guess that means we won’t see the dual-moulded Threepio in another set anytime soon. 

This flip-flopping from Lego is disappointing, but at least we now know why they didn't put the upgraded C-3PO legs in the trash compactor.

2 hours ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

God dammit. This group of whiners have ruined it for the rest of us. Guess that means we won’t see the dual-moulded Threepio in another set anytime soon. 

I hope Lego puts phase 2 Cody in the next big $350USD+ UCS/MBS set. Give those whiners what they say they want and they will change their tune very quickly.

Dual moulded-threepio may not have existed in the first place without the backlash, I'm not too upset about it. Has there ever been a star wars character with dual-moulded legs that didn't come in a UCS / MBS?

6 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

This might ruffle some feathers, but I have never heard as much pure whining about a Lego set as what I still see for the UCS Gunship to this day. Yes, there’s valid criticisms to be had as with just about any Lego set, but the incessant complaining about literally just the set’s figures is insane. I’m someone who initially voted for the Gunship (which I regret now since I think I would have been more interested in a UCS-sized Nebulon in retrospect) and it’s gotten to the point where I honestly kind of wish that it lost the fan vote just because of all the entitlement that’s arisen.

It’s going to be funny seeing all the people who complained about the reuse of the Clone Commander from the Gunship will probably now complain if the Landspeeder C-3PO doesn’t come in other sets with the dual-molded legs. (Which I’m sure will happen at some point to be fair.)

Edited by The Stud

6 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

It's a hard line to toe, but you're exactly right. Some faction of fans will have a problem with any decision you make, so just go ahead and do what you think makes sense and is best for the general public.

3 minutes ago, The Stud said:

It’s going to be funny seeing all the people who complained about the reuse of the Clone Commander from the Gunship will probably now complain if the Landspeeder C-3PO doesn’t come in other sets with the dual-molded legs. (Which I’m sure will happen at some point to be fair.)

I think anyone who has collected Lego Star Wars for more than a decade or like i have since its inception should just know by now that  there are no truly unbreakable rules to what might be put in /excluded from a set unless it's a legal issue. There are trends but most "trends" and patterns break in less than five years. I think the quote of exclusive figs was taken way too far and came from one designer. reactionary instagram posts and Youtubers are calling legos new comments backtracking, I'd argue Lego should not have said anything on the matter because in reality nothing changed. The exclusive figs in UCS sets are rarely ridiculously desirable outside of their exclusivity,  buuuut most UCS sets since they started having figs have had an exclusive or two (I think even if you lump in the MBS only the cantina has included new exclusive molds for figs). Mace and 3PO fit this tradition. A new Cody Would not have.

The designer would have been better off not giving his comment and lego would have been better off not giving their recent comment, but I like that as a company they attempt to address fan concerns wether its warranted or not.

20 hours ago, CodFather1 said:

Its release date is the first of May. Waiting this long is to be expected.

It was available on LSAH on April 26th. I thought it was May 1st as well until then. 
My local stores are now saying they’ll get it on May 3rd. 

Edited by AD_Bricks

6 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Completely agree.

4 hours ago, 1340cc said:

This flip-flopping from Lego is disappointing, but at least we now know why they didn't put the upgraded C-3PO legs in the trash compactor.

I hope Lego puts phase 2 Cody in the next big $350USD+ UCS/MBS set. Give those whiners what they say they want and they will change their tune very quickly.

Part of me wants P2 Cody but the other part of me thinks him being in a $900 UCS Venator or something would be the funniest thing ever.

1 hour ago, The Stud said:

This might ruffle some feathers, but I have never heard as much pure whining about a Lego set as what I still see for the UCS Gunship to this day. Yes, there’s valid criticisms to be had as with just about any Lego set, but the incessant complaining about literally just the set’s figures is insane. I’m someone who initially voted for the Gunship (which I regret now since I think I would have been more interested in a UCS-sized Nebulon in retrospect) and it’s gotten to the point where I honestly kind of wish that it lost the fan vote just because of all the entitlement that’s arisen.

This is one of the few opportunities where I get to annoyingly go "I toooold you sooooo!" (which is good for me because right now I have the "very unlikely to be real" fighter tank in my bag to purchase when the promos go live). I said from the beginning that a UCS gunship would not have the figures people expected it to, not be minifig scale, and lower the chances of a system one anytime soon, and two of those at least were proven correct.

42 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

It's a hard line to toe, but you're exactly right. Some faction of fans will have a problem with any decision you make, so just go ahead and do what you think makes sense and is best for the general public.

I completely agree. And you know some people will still complain lego doesn't listen to the fans because we don't have captain lock or commander doom or whoever even once cody comes out. I mean, look at SW in general. People begged and whined and demanded more prequel/expanded universe cameos in SW, and now that we saw it in mando, if you go on reddit everyone's talking about how they hope they don't put a ton of cameos in kenobi/andor/etc. Same thing's happening with marvel, where DS2 conversation has gone from demanding that everyone and their mother be included in the film to hoping there's not many cameos to distract from the plot. No matter what decision you make, people will be upset, so you have to make a decision and stick to it.

I got my order ready 15 minutes before the promos went live in my country and got kicked to the waiting room with 3 minutes left before they did. Now it's 5 minutes past and I'm stuck there on my phone and computer, how do I get into the actual shop before everything sells out?

EDIT: Got it. Had to order a mando brickheadz as my order was technically only $159.96 (c'mon, really?), but I snagged all 3 promos.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

The very public whinging about the UCS Gunship has led to some strange outcomes indeed.

First UCS ships didn't come with Minifigures at all because they totally didn't need to. The UCS (now MBS) playsets did have and continue to have some totally warranted exclusive ones that fit their scenes and haven't belonged anywhere else. Then they started including some slightly enhanced Minifigures, like the TIE Pilot with extra printing or officer with arm print, which in my mind was no biggie - the versions without those extras are perfectly fine.

But now after they made a strange and unnecessary pronouncement specifically to say they will NOT be doing exclusive minifigures, they've turned around and included the new best version of a main character while simultaneously releasing an inferior version. It's mind-bogglingly weird, and tone deaf how they seem to always want to blame the fans/consumers rather than their own decisions. I.e. "we did a random clone commander because consumers don't care what clone it is" "We did an exclusive 3PO because fans want exclusive figures"

Maybe the better idea would've been to not say anything, because the honest answer could be "the UCS Gunship is cool and sells itself to interested consumers. The UCS Landspeeder isn't quite so desirable so we've included a very desirable Minifigure to boost sales" Someone probably isn't going to buy a $350 Gunship unless they really want it - a minifigure won't make much difference. Someone might be influenced to buy a $200 Landspeeder they sort of want or are considering given the cool figure, making the set more enticing.

Got the UCS R2-D2 ordered with all three promos; just waiting for the confirmation email.

29 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

Maybe the better idea would've been to not say anything, because the honest answer could be "the UCS Gunship is cool and sells itself to interested consumers. The UCS Landspeeder isn't quite so desirable so we've included a very desirable Minifigure to boost sales" Someone probably isn't going to buy a $350 Gunship unless they really want it - a minifigure won't make much difference. Someone might be influenced to buy a $200 Landspeeder they sort of want or are considering given the cool figure, making the set more enticing.

UCS' main draws for me have always been display presence, accuracy, finer details, and whatever functions they can slap on. Minifigures have never and will never be a deal-breaker for me. I've always wondered what portion of purchasers are eyeing these sets because they want to add to their impressive minifigure collection; maybe 10%? I can't imagine many, but who knows. The model is the point, not the figures. If the model isn't compelling, I'm fairly confident the figures won't sway a lot of people, no matter how amazing (most just bricklink the fig later anyway). Reverse the situation and I'm fairly confident the lack of compelling figures won't be enough to prevent people from picking up an amazing model.

35 minutes ago, mirkwoodspiders said:

Reverse the situation and I'm fairly confident the lack of compelling figures won't be enough to prevent people from picking up an amazing model.

Exactly. The minifigs in sets like 10179 and 10212 were nothing special but people still love those sets because of the actual model.

21 minutes ago, 1340cc said:

Exactly. The minifigs in sets like 10179 and 10212 were nothing special but people still love those sets because of the actual model.

I don't know about you, but I bought 75192 just for the mynock!  :wink:

2 minutes ago, Frizzlefry25 said:

I don't know about you, but I bought 75192 just for the mynock!  :wink:

Should have vowed to boycott Lego when they had the audacity to release it in an advent calendar years later!