MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

25 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

I'm surprised people are cool with this. A very in-demand character and the first minifigure-compatible rendition of the Lars homestead, and it's locked into a GWP

I see your point, and as much as I agree and like to argue against this sort of thing, it’s only Beru. I’m sure some people will resent me saying “it’s only Beru”, but considering her role in the films and that Owen is locked in a now retired set it’s probably the best we could hope for. If the diorama sets do well I’m sure the twin sunset scene will be first on the list, then there’ll be another opportunity for Beru (probably without the skirt) Edit: just realised the skirt isn’t printed. Oh well, I think you’re right. Much more likely that we’re never getting Beru again.

There will be backlash for sure, but it definitely could be worse. If they did this with Cody we would never hear the end of it. 

Edited by Brikkyy13

8 minutes ago, Clone OPatra said:

I'm surprised people are cool with this. A very in-demand character and the first minifigure-compatible rendition of the Lars homestead, and it's locked into a GWP (I don't even want to know what the threshold will be here in Aus, something crazy I'm sure). What a slap.

The Lars homestead would totally work as a set, as would an Otoh Gunga set, which LEGO doesn't even need to do to make Boss Nass since there are still a bunch of unmade Naboo Speeders. But I guess TLG knows best about what won't sell and about what gaps they never want to fill after 23 years.

I'm thinking the same. This could have easily been set in the style of Obi-Wan's hut (or bigger) for wide release and sold no problem. Now it will be locked behind a limited release paywall and the aftermarket price will quickly match or pass whatever the GWP threshold is - for just the kitchen and Beru. I mean it looks like a great GWP - a build AND an exclusive fig, but releasing it this way also means it's unlikely there'll be any type of Lars homestead in a regular wave for many years to come.

2 minutes ago, MaximillianRebo said:

I'm thinking the same. This could have easily been set in the style of Obi-Wan's hut (or bigger) for wide release and sold no problem. Now it will be locked behind a limited release paywall and the aftermarket price will quickly match or pass whatever the GWP threshold is - for just the kitchen and Beru. I mean it looks like a great GWP - a build AND an exclusive fig, but releasing it this way also means it's unlikely there'll be any type of Lars homestead in a regular wave for many years to come.

I get this, too. At the same time, I think LEGO is struggling to come up with Star Wars GWP promos that really interest people, and an exclusive minifig is one of the only things that gets people excited anymore. The $160 threshold is high, though. I think if they'd made this the $60 gift people would be a lot less upset, but also far less likely to think about getting more LEGO on May 4th, which is LEGOs primary goal - profit. Making fans happy comes into play at some point, but making the most money possible is their bottom line as a company.

1 hour ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

Are you serious? This is probably the best value promo we’ve gotten in a while. It has more pieces (including an extra minifigure) than the GWP for the $950 AT-AT and the $450 Mos Eisley Cantina.

I’m going to put this in terms of Canadian dollars, since that’s what I’m familiar with, but it’s not that much different from USD or Euros.

You need to spend $200 to get the promo. If you do, you get Blue Milk Luke (~$5 value if you use normal poly bag price), the AT-ST polybag ($5 value), and the the Homestead Kitchen ($20 value). Not only that, but you get double VIP points, which is an extra $20 back. So you’re getting $50 worth of extra stuff on a $200 purchase.

Does not mean the promo is good just because it’s better than the horrendous predecessors.

Your second part, however, is convincing, and I appreciate the reply! 

I think the point I was trying to make was the limit is set too high to receive these benefits. At the most basic level, the set is great but I can’t access it without spending a lot! 

I remember when I was younger and loved May 4th Lego promotions. The point is I could get involved with it and use my limited money to get sets I want and a really cool figure. As I have got older, this still applies.

The stuff I get if I don’t spend £100+ are really weak; not an incentive at all to purchase. Lego losing money at the end of day I think. 

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

I'm surprised people are cool with this. A very in-demand character and the first minifigure-compatible rendition of the Lars homestead, and it's locked into a GWP (I don't even want to know what the threshold will be here in Aus, something crazy I'm sure). What a slap.

I don’t mind that it’s an in-demand figure otherwise we devalue these promotions which are exciting, and probably add to the excitement unlike a Darth Revan which we all thought was amazing but never expected it to be a figure and thus was ok. 

Locking it in a GWP at such a high value is the problem. Gives me similar vibes to the Bespin set. If what happened was in America we still wouldn’t be hearing the end of it. It was shocking and quite frankly this sort of stuff is poor too. 

5 hours ago, TBD said:

Very ballsy of Lego to give us a woman in a kitchen as a promo in 2022. Let’s hope the woke folks won’t notice :laugh_hard:

I laugh, but of course they will, and given the whole osprey thing my laughter turns to a hopefully irrational fear that the promo somehow gets cancelled.

Honestly I'm pretty happy with it. It's a nice small set with a figure many people want, but most wouldn't feel is a slap in the face to get as a GWP. Was only planning on getting the Dagobah set, but maybe I'll buy some sets to give as gifts or something.

The homestead kitchen looks very good. The details are great! The minifig...not so great, but still, as a 20€ set i would buy it for sure.

But as a promo it's a pass since i don't plan to buy 160€ sets anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Clone OPatra said:

I don't even want to know what the threshold will be here in Aus, something crazy I'm sure.

I don't think it really matters what thresholds they put popular GWP at in Australia. They never have enough to last any decent amount of time. This will be gone before one sun comes up.

In terms of what sets to buy to reach $160 usd, I guess Lego's plan - especially given the subject matter of the GWP - is that everyone will buy the UCS Landspeeder to meet the threshold, assuming it releases at the beginning of May.

6 hours ago, TBD said:

Very ballsy of Lego to give us a woman in a kitchen as a promo in 2022. Let’s hope the woke folks won’t notice :laugh_hard:

Don Quixote encounters the windmills of La Mancha, colorized.

In any case, this is certainly an...odd promo. The homestead is arguably the most iconic missing piece from lego, and considering our only depictions of it are GWPs, it doesn't really make much sense. I suppose it may tie in with the Landspeeder, and it isn't bad that this is the promo by any means--it's really quite a good one--it's just...weird.

Edited by Brickroll

Just now, MaximillianRebo said:

In terms of what sets to buy to reach $160 usd, I guess Lego's plan - especially given the subject matter of the GWP - is that everyone will buy the UCS Landspeeder to meet the threshold, assuming it releases at the beginning of May.

Yeah perhaps a stupid question, but I assume the UCS landspeeder will drop on the 1st of May, right?

4 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

$160 for this promo!? 

I remember the days where a Darth Revan was with £50 purchase. Instead I get a blue milk Luke we all got from buying the game. 

Seriously the Lego Star Wars team are jokers, bunch of clowns I might add. 

Frankly, I think Darth Revan was the only interesting May the 4th figure we ever got, and I’m not a KOTOR fan so that one doesn’t even really interest me aside from the quality of the figure itself. I’d say Yularen too but he easily could have just been thrown in with a Death Star set. I’d much rather get a niche build with a unique figure than just getting either another dull diorama or a throwaway figure like Hoth Han Solo or Heavy Artillery FO Stormtooper. We’re getting the best of both worlds here.

And we all didn’t get that Blue Milk Luke figure. If you didn’t pre-order the Deluxe Edition (which I didn’t because the game got delayed so many times), you were kinda screwed. Finding a Deluxe Edition out in stores is hard to do and even though the figure itself isn’t super interesting, I still want it for the novelty. I know I’m not the only one in this position. Considering the prices the figure is going for, I think it’s good that Lego is throwing this in as essentially an extra May the 4th promo. For the past few years, we’ve been getting a small set and a random polybag as promos, and now this year they’re throwing in this extra figure on top of that. (And the set comes with an exclusive figure too this time around!) It’s not like it’s taking the place of something else.

I can somewhat agree that it’s a little lame that one of the few missing OT characters, Beru, is only coming in a one-time May the 4th promo, but I still believe that this is the best May 4th promo yet. I think it’s great that we got a build with a (unique-but-niche) figure. Lego does it all the time with sets like the Jane Goodall or Monster Book of Monsters promos, but not really for Star Wars. I think the build itself looks really good, and the figure is a pretty good representation of the character. I like it.

There’s not a lot of sets we could have gotten Beru in anyway. I don’t think a Lars Homestead set would be really feasible because so much of the location is underground and not seen on-screen. Getting part of the Homestead in a Binary Sunset diorama could work and could be a good set to include her, Luke and Owen in I suppose. Oh well, it seems that the only exclusive piece here is the torso anyway. The face looks to be Molly Weasley’s and the rest definitely isn’t exclusive.

And for me, getting Blue Milk Luke and this Tatooine-based Lars Kitchen promo is perfect as one of the sets I’m getting for May the 4th is the Mos Eisley Cantina. I’ll be extra happy because there’s still another promo (I’m guessing that Hoth AT-ST polybag like a lot of other people, which is also fine by me as I haven’t gotten that one), that VIP keychain if I choose to get that, and most likely Double VIP Points to gain. I’m also probably going to split my purchases into two orders (I’m also getting the UCS R2-D2) so I can get extras of the promos too.

Edited by The Stud

33 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

I don’t mind that it’s an in-demand figure otherwise we devalue these promotions which are exciting, and probably add to the excitement unlike a Darth Revan which we all thought was amazing but never expected it to be a figure and thus was ok. 

Well I think a Darth Revan - type character is perfect for a special promo because it is so cool and desirable in its own right, but also not integral or long desired by anyone.

To be honest this Beru figure isn't even very good with the reused face, so I won't go on about it. I'd love to see an actual Lars Homestead playset after all these years, but I don't feel like it will happen.

Releasing the homestead as an 18+ GWP makes a lot of sense to me. I don’t see any kids clamouring for the home of Kentucky Fried Aunt & Uncle, do you? :tongue:

As for the threshold, that should be easy enough to reach with 5 new sets around the corner, no?

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

2 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

The Lars homestead would totally work as a set, as would an Otoh Gunga set, which LEGO doesn't even need to do to make Boss Nass since there are still a bunch of unmade Naboo Speeders. But I guess TLG knows best about what won't sell and about what gaps they never want to fill after 23 years.

And we were doing so well keeping things positive! :laugh:

I personally don't mind this being locked as a GWP. How many kids want a Star Wars kitchen? It seems more geared toward the adult collectors who, let's face it, usually don't have an issue dropping $160-$200 on Legos. Plus, if Lego follows its recent trend Aunt Beru will be in a set sometime next year.

1 hour ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

Decent promo for those who want it but...I just feel it is rather bland. Trying to think up ways to meet the 160 USD threshold, but I think I will just pass on the whole event for now. 

This is my issue. I don't have near enough Star Wars on my wish list to meet this, and unless the reveal of the landspeeder is amazing? I really can't see adding an landspeeder to my UCS collection unless I pick it up for sheer lack of lego projects I will probably miss out on these.

1 minute ago, Frizzlefry25 said:

This is my issue. I don't have near enough Star Wars on my wish list to meet this, and unless the reveal of the landspeeder is amazing? I really can't see adding an landspeeder to my UCS collection unless I pick it up for sheer lack of lego projects I will probably miss out on these.

Right, and that is totally okay! Trying not to fall subject to the FOMO. I do want the AT-ST and some battle packs to fill out the AT-AT and hoth scene. Not sure this is the best time to do it. 

39 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

And we were doing so well keeping things positive! :laugh:

I personally don't mind this being locked as a GWP. How many kids want a Star Wars kitchen? It seems more geared toward the adult collectors who, let's face it, usually don't have an issue dropping $160-$200 on Legos. Plus, if Lego follows its recent trend Aunt Beru will be in a set sometime next year.

I dont have an issue with this either, as it really goes with the UCS purchase. You buy that you get them all. It's just the UCS set seems to be kinda....... unappealing. So unless your trying to get $160 worth of republic fighter tanks, eeks!

People pre-emptively talking about 'woke twitter mobs' are so desperately projecting. It's kinda sad, really.

Edited by ginja

This set is absolutely awesome!!! We’ve all been clamoring for Beru for years, and it’s great to see a somewhat obscure location/scene represented (location-based sets are always a breath of fresh air, IMO, amid the endless barrage of vehicle releases).

Yes, it is a bummer to lock Beru behind a high spend threshold GWP for now. But I could see Lego including her down the road in an inevitable Sandcrawler update.

4 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Yeah, I go

Great promo, finally Beru… no Owen is a crying shame for those of us without the big brown box from 2014. Bet LEGO’s logic here is the tired old “but we’ve done it before” *eyeroll* Prices for him are gonna go crazy smh

He was in the Kenobi trailer maybe he’ll come in a summer wave set.  

Hoping they have decent supply of this, there’s been trouble with other desirable gaps and stock.

Any idea what the GBP thresholds will be?

Beru was just about the last Original Trilogy character of any importance to not have gotten a minifig, so that’s a pretty big milestone. Who would be the next most significant omission from the OT? Sy Snootles, maybe? It’s somebody way down there.

10 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Beru was just about the last Original Trilogy character of any importance to not have gotten a minifig, so that’s a pretty big milestone. Who would be the next most significant omission from the OT? Sy Snootles, maybe? It’s somebody way down there.

Nien Nunb 

What dollar amount is it to get the Blue Milk polybag?  $75?  I don't know if there's $160 worth of SW stuff that I really need/want at the moment, but I've been eyeing the Mandalorian Fighter, so I could maybe grab that plus the Hoth BP and get the Blue Milk Luke, at least.

17 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

What dollar amount is it to get the Blue Milk polybag?  $75?  I don't know if there's $160 worth of SW stuff that I really need/want at the moment, but I've been eyeing the Mandalorian Fighter, so I could maybe grab that plus the Hoth BP and get the Blue Milk Luke, at least.

70 USD I think is the rumor.