MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Very strange that the new c3po is only in the UCS Landspeeder, guess they need something to sell it. Would of made the overpriced trash compactor more tolerable, was expecting it really with those comments from the designers of the gunship. Not a great display piece tbh with the droids hidden behind the wall. 

Dagobah is much better, will probably pick that up if it’s on sale.

1 hour ago, HothFan1987 said:

I seem to be the only person who doesn’t mind the 3PO / R2 bit round the back. It’s all it needed for them, they were basically just stood at the terminal hidden in the corner of the docking bay for the scene. Sure it could have been a few studs wider but unless the whole docking bay was attached back there, there’s not much missing. 

I think the terminal section itself is fine, I just don't like the underside of the plates surrounding it. I think it would look a lot better if they were covered with inverted tiles to smooth it off.

1 hour ago, Remember said:

Very strange that the new c3po is only in the UCS Landspeeder, guess they need something to sell it.

Unless they surprise us and give us a near-perfect model full of interesting building techniques, that might be the main selling point for the set. Unlike other UCS sets in recent years, I've barely seen any hype for this one.

13 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I think you misread it, he's claiming only the prequel UCS sets don't have exclusive figs (which is still wrong)

uhhhhhhhh.....you do realize Mace still hasn't shown up in another set? And that it took 4 months between the CC in the gunship and his appearance in another set? Most figs are going to be "exclusive" upon release, and then it takes a few months to a year to get them in another set at a lower price. 

Even if Mace doesn't come out in another set it's still hypocritical from Lego to releases such an awesome figure with the UCS landspeeder when they said the reason for not including any cool/exclusive figs in the Gunship was to not gatekeep through price. It's a slap in the face to prequel and Gunship fans to be THIS hypocritical. I totally get the pay wall argument and I think its smart to make cool figs more accessible but they've just walked that back for an original trilogy UCS set cause they know it's gonna be unpopular if they don't put this type of effort into the figures that are supposed to be "a bonus and not the reason for purchase."

Thing is, while any designers that participate in interviews have undergone TLG's internal media training, it isn't like the whole team has had a huddle to ensure they give monolithic responses to things. Their thinking and methodology changes all the time, and lots of different people get to have input.

Maybe they had a general feeling not to lock exclusive Minifigures in UCS sets, but then a set's designer or the team lead or whoever goes "hey we didn't need as many recolours for this set as we thought, let's add to the minifigure instead!" and bam, here we are.

Plus there's plenty of precedent to include a more highly detailed variant with UCS sets. Imperials with dual moulded legs and/or arm printing, extra printing on the TIE Fighter helmet, OT Boba with arm printing, etc.

I'm not trying to stick up for LEGO in saying this, but rather pointing out that their communication about such things is wildly inconsistent and no one designer's word in an interview should be taken as gospel.

You know, we can’t entirely discount the possibility of C3-PO showing up in another set at some point. It’s unlikely, but there’s certainly a reasonable chance.

Also, has no one else seen FF’s story? It would appear that there will be a photo reveal today!

6 hours ago, 1340cc said:

“We put in minifigures that are appropriate, but I personally feel they shouldn’t be super-rare collector’s items […]”

Key word being “personally”. Not every designer may agree with this approach :tongue: Besides, there’s a difference between a set-exclusive character and a set-exclusive variant :laugh: So a common minifig spiced up with extra printing being exclusive to a UCS set is no big deal to me.

Moreover, you can’t really expect this ultra-detailed Threepio to show up in every set from now on :tongue:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

Waited for official pics. 

Quote sets are promising and likeable but in my mind they don’t look worth the money based on the eye test. 

Trench run is poor, whilst the Trash Compactor seems innovative and fun, which I respect. Dagobah Training is ok, nothing exciting there. 

Interesting to see if, and what, they do next. Need to lower the prices, mind, for these to be a success. 

5 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:.

Moreover, you can’t really expect this ultra-detailed Threepio to show up in every set from now on :tongue:

I don’t understand why not. If they develop the tools and methodology to pump these out why don’t they stick with that for all future versions? The difference in production cost would be negligible once the development is done. 
its not like there isn’t constantly a set out there that needs a threepio, R2 unit or Vader so they can’t use the storage excuse.

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!

Artoo does have back printing - it wasn't just a dream!

640x427.jpeg

2 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

Thing is, while any designers that participate in interviews have undergone TLG's internal media training, it isn't like the whole team has had a huddle to ensure they give monolithic responses to things. Their thinking and methodology changes all the time, and lots of different people get to have input.

Maybe they had a general feeling not to lock exclusive Minifigures in UCS sets, but then a set's designer or the team lead or whoever goes "hey we didn't need as many recolours for this set as we thought, let's add to the minifigure instead!" and bam, here we are.

Plus there's plenty of precedent to include a more highly detailed variant with UCS sets. Imperials with dual moulded legs and/or arm printing, extra printing on the TIE Fighter helmet, OT Boba with arm printing, etc.

I'm not trying to stick up for LEGO in saying this, but rather pointing out that their communication about such things is wildly inconsistent and no one designer's word in an interview should be taken as gospel.

This. The fact is, everyone is taking the Gunship designer's word as indicative of the entire LSW team's mindset, when given the precedent of other UCS sets, the LSW team does not seem at all opposed to putting more detailed figures in the D2Cs than in the main-release sets. This has been evident for a while, even if a single designer video showed that perhaps that set's designer does not agree with this idea. 

24 minutes ago, LDigital said:

I don’t understand why not. If they develop the tools and methodology to pump these out why don’t they stick with that for all future versions? The difference in production cost would be negligible once the development is done. 
its not like there isn’t constantly a set out there that needs a threepio, R2 unit or Vader so they can’t use the storage excuse.

To put it simply, for most sets, it's a marketing thing. It makes sense for LEGO to place the more detailed "collector" figures in the specialty sets as both a bonus for buying the D2C and as a better version to display with the set. I don't think a lot of kids greatly care that C3PO has a silver leg or not. Many of them would just want C-3PO (and even if they did notice, they would not care much). It makes more sense to put these figures in the sets they know are made for adults who will care more about having the collectors' variations in the collectors' sets. And it also gives more reason to buy these larger sets for the special figures as well as the model. 

As an aside, I do think the dual-moulding has a bit of extra cost to it, if I remember correctly, so that does affect the placement of figures as well. 

It's really funny to me that the trash compactor set is designed in such a way where you would almost never see 3po and r2 on display, yet it has the most detailed versions of them we have ever seen.

2 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

Even if Mace doesn't come out in another set it's still hypocritical from Lego to releases such an awesome figure with the UCS landspeeder when they said the reason for not including any cool/exclusive figs in the Gunship was to not gatekeep through price. It's a slap in the face to prequel and Gunship fans to be THIS hypocritical. I totally get the pay wall argument and I think its smart to make cool figs more accessible but they've just walked that back for an original trilogy UCS set cause they know it's gonna be unpopular if they don't put this type of effort into the figures that are supposed to be "a bonus and not the reason for purchase."

It must be exhausting, casting yourself the victim time and time again.

47 minutes ago, MAVERICK26 said:

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!

Artoo does have back printing - it wasn't just a dream!

640x427.jpeg

And Threepio has arm printing! I really hope this is the norm now for both characters, and not just a thing because it’s an 18+ set.

And I guess on the bright side this version of C-3PO could be used for a more accurate Clone Wars, Revenge of the Sith, Rebels, The Last Jedi, and The Rise of Skywalker C-3PO since there’s less silver on his right leg.

And finally after 23 years and 53 sets, R2-D2 has back printing for the first time.

Both the trench run and Yoda's hut are reasonably priced here in Australia, which is unusual, at $90 and $120 respectively. The trash compacter, on the other hand, is $150. I don't see anyone buying it for that price, even with the R2-D2 back printing. I had no intention of getting any of these sets, but this is ridiculous.

On 3/23/2022 at 3:54 AM, kidtheboss611 said:

Are we sure it comes with Tuan We cause it was never confirmed to be an Episode 2 fighter and the way leaks and numbers have been changing constantly and fake rumors have spread this year I'm not sure if we will see Tuan We. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a giant curveball and we get a Kaminon in a Bad Batch set like Cad Bane's ship or something like it. 

I suppose Obi-wan's Eta-2 is also possible. The last time we saw that set was 2016. Obi-wan's Delta-7 last appeared in 2017 so an Eta-2 would be first in line for a remake.

Personally, I'd loved to be surprised and see Obi-wan's Delta-7b because we've never seen that ship before.

After that, his Blue Eta-2 from Utapau would be pretty cool.

Edited by Zap Rowsdower

If we can get arm printing on Mando and Spidey in basically every set they come in, I don't think it's a stretch for Lego to give Artoo and Threepio back/arm printing on the regular going forward. Especially since Threepio has the super special dual-molded legs version in the UCS Landspeeder, I can't see them having three versions of the character in circulation. 

Edited by Willsy

Just now, Willsy said:

If we can get arm printing on Mando and Spidey in basically every set they come in, I don't think it's a stretch for Lego to give Artoo and Threepio back/arm printing on the regular going forward. 

Arm printing definitely seems to be more common in wide-release sets at this point. I don't see these figures not coming with this new printing in any more sets they come in now, especially since there aren't that many sets that 3PO and R2 come in anymore. 

I'm a bit surprised they didn't include a minifig or two in the trench run set put them in a tiny vignette behind the wall ala C-3PO and R2. The set isn't bad but there isn't any incentive to beyond the diorama. Price of the Trash compactor aside, the others offer more in the way of rarely touched scenes and figs, 

I don't want to be that guy... But we don't know if R2 has front printing in the trash compactor set. We can't see it in any of the pictures...

Edit: never mind. You can see the printing in a video on LEGO's Instagram.

Edited by bountybossk

I sort of took the "exclusive minifigure" thing to mean characters rather than variants of existing figures.  The exception here seems to be MBS sets, because they're minifigure-compatible, I guess, but I don't think any UCS sets have had exclusive characters.  I have no idea, but that's how I interpreted the comment.

8 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

I sort of took the "exclusive minifigure" thing to mean characters rather than variants of existing figures.  The exception here seems to be MBS sets, because they're minifigure-compatible, I guess, but I don't think any UCS sets have had exclusive characters.  I have no idea, but that's how I interpreted the comment.

Piet, Will Scotian, R2-BHD, what ever the two red squares two blue square imperial is. I think thats it for non MBS style so nobody except Piet that is really important or named, (And Piet was 11ish years ago).

Forgot about the Sandcrawler figs but that set has MBS levels of figs

Edited by Archer

6 hours ago, 1340cc said:

I think the terminal section itself is fine, I just don't like the underside of the plates surrounding it. I think it would look a lot better if they were covered with inverted tiles to smooth it off.

Yeah that’s fair, I can see that would have helped a lot. 

I hate the fact that I actually quite like the trash compactor. I think it's pretty cool that the junk is designed so that you can push the walls in and the junk on the floor fits like a puzzle so it can be displayed compress. I'm not necessarily disappointed by the size of the droid area, it's more that having a set with an imperial control room would be cool.

I really love all three of the quote sets, this is going to be rough on my wallet.

2 hours ago, Willsy said:

If we can get arm printing on Mando and Spidey in basically every set they come in, I don't think it's a stretch for Lego to give Artoo and Threepio back/arm printing on the regular going forward.

Tell that to arm-printing Vader that was only in 2 sets.