MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

Have to agree, out of the three I like the Trash compactor the least! And it cost the most? Doesn't make sense!! I like these types of sets for display, but the $$$ just don't seem to match!

Ew, it even looks to have the same base size, if not smaller, as the trench run, and yet it's $20 more? The yoda hut has some depth to it, the trash compactor doesn't even look good. I'm confident in saying this will sell the worst out of the three. What's sad is that not only would a trash compactor have made an awesome set as a system scale playset, but there are SO MANY great potential diorama sets, even if they want to start with the OT to be careful. Luke's Hut, with him standing looking at the sunset. 

Spoiler

Tatooine%20Sunset.png

The endor celebration, the ROTJ moment when he's about to walk the plank, the final duel, the wampa cave, Vader entering the tantive, the yavin celebration, the yavin pilot briefing room, vader vs obi-wan, the carbon freezing chamber, Luke meeting Obi-wan, Han vs Greedo, the speeder chase, the death star 2 trench run with the falcon, the asteroid field, i mean c'mon, who looked at this and thought it was the best choice and best design?

This set just proves that not everything is a great choice for a set. 

I understand Dagobah and Trench Run. Both are iconic, and both make for a great display set.

But Trash Compactor? It just looks like a bunch of Garbage stacked together. Which is kinda the point, but then again it isn't particularly visually appealing. If it was a cheap set then it could work. But 90€? Nah, that ain't it.

I agree. The trees and the swamp in the Yoda’s hut set gave it some depth and environment. This one also feels a tad incomplete without the detention block to go above it. 

I think the set looks good. It’s very accurate to the scene, but how the hell is that worth $90? I feel like the prices for Lego Star Wars sets last year were mostly pretty reasonable but some of the prices in 2022 have just been nuts. Looks like I’m going to be waiting for some sales or using up a lot of VIP Points.

Also worth noting that Luke is using the dark tan hairpiece his recent ESB figures have used instead of the regular tan hairpiece that all of his ANH figures have used. And apparently Lego has updated the Stormtrooper design once again with white hips.

Edited by The Stud

The compactor has a bit more depth than what is shown. It's definitely not the most appealing angle for a picture. 

The set has around 800 pieces as well. 

And yeah, the Stormtrooper design has been updated with white hips and I think some small print changes. 

Edited by NoOneOfImportance

20 minutes ago, The Stud said:

apparently Lego has updated the Stormtrooper design once again with white hips.

As well as what appears to be a new torso print. I just hope that the differences between the updated troopers and the current ones are subtle enough that they can be displayed together. 😐

27 minutes ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

The compactor has a bit more depth than what is shown. It's definitely not the most appealing angle for a picture. 

The set has around 800 pieces as well. 

And yeah, the Stormtrooper design has been updated with white hips and I think some small print changes. 

And Yoda's hut has 1000 at $10 cheaper. Piece count isn't an ironclad indicator of price, but 200 parts less and $10 more expensive for sets in the same subtheme is rough, especially since it's not like either of them have massive parts or a ton of tiny parts

8 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

As well as what appears to be a new torso print. I just hope that the differences between the updated troopers and the current ones are subtle enough that they can be displayed together. 😐

I agree, but you also just reminded me that I'm displaying 2015 rebels style troopers alongside the 2016-2018 troopers and even the 2019-present ones with new helmets

I'm appreciating the Trench Run set the more I look at it - it's kind of a master class in parts usage for greebling - but mostly because of the three it's the main one that works as a display set. I also like the X-Wing design, a slightly beefed up version of the Advent calendar model, and the R2 printed tile is great. The other two could function better as play sets - Dagobah as an expanded version of earlier Yoda's huts, and the Trash Compactor model is ... it's just a room. I get that this is the style for diorama sets, but it really needs closing walls which necessitates making it a play set. Also play sets wouldn't need all the black pieces for the base and these leftover pieces could be used elsewhere in the set. As the Meditation Chamber showed, these black box 18+ sets are aimed at the AFOL with disposable income market, but even as someone who primarily displays their sets, I'd still rather play sets with some functionality rather than static display sets like these.

9 minutes ago, MaximillianRebo said:

I'm appreciating the Trench Run set the more I look at it - it's kind of a master class in parts usage for greebling - but mostly because of the three it's the main one that works as a display set. I also like the X-Wing design, a slightly beefed up version of the Advent calendar model, and the R2 printed tile is great. The other two could function better as play sets - Dagobah as an expanded version of earlier Yoda's huts, and the Trash Compactor model is ... it's just a room. I get that this is the style for diorama sets, but it really needs closing walls which necessitates making it a play set. Also play sets wouldn't need all the black pieces for the base and these leftover pieces could be used elsewhere in the set. As the Meditation Chamber showed, these black box 18+ sets are aimed at the AFOL with disposable income market, but even as someone who primarily displays their sets, I'd still rather play sets with some functionality rather than static display sets like these.

The Trash Compactor does have the closing walls. 

Also, there's a bit more to the set than what is shown in the picture I had posted about it (picture that was posted on instagram).

45 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

And Yoda's hut has 1000 at $10 cheaper. Piece count isn't an ironclad indicator of price, but 200 parts less and $10 more expensive for sets in the same subtheme is rough, especially since it's not like either of them have massive parts or a ton of tiny parts

I agree, but you also just reminded me that I'm displaying 2015 rebels style troopers alongside the 2016-2018 troopers and even the 2019-present ones with new helmets

lmao I display my 2002 and my 2022 p1 clones together

My favorite of the three has to be the trench run. Dagobah is great, but I don't think the trash compacter is the best scene for one of these display models, especially at that price

The Trench Run looks the best imo, though I'm a sucker for microscale ships and dioramas. Hoping for pictures of the Landspeeder and TX-130 soon.

From the one picture the Trash Compactor looks mediocre, at least too me. I'm willing to reserve judgment on the quality of the set itself, but I will say that I'm disappointed in the price if it really is $90, because it looks far too insubstantial for that number. The Trash Compactor was the one of these I was looking forward to the most, but as it stands I'm probably going to skip it.

3 hours ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

The Trash Compactor does have the closing walls. 

Also, there's a bit more to the set than what is shown in the picture I had posted about it (picture that was posted on instagram).

I can see some side walls in the photo, but it's hard to judge depth with the front on perspective. Could there be a sliding mechanism in the base to bring them inwards?

I was expecting Dagobah to be the only set I might get in May, but now it’s too cartoonish and is basically an expanded play set. I had hoped for more dark tan olive green and I already have the same figures so I might just bricklink most of it in the colours I want and build it that way.

The Trench Run is growing on me. I usually can’t stand polybag style builds but the X-wing looks alright, the greebling is excellent and the TIEs can be removed anyway.

No need to say anymore about the Trash Compactor.

1 hour ago, MaximillianRebo said:

I can see some side walls in the photo, but it's hard to judge depth with the front on perspective. Could there be a sliding mechanism in the base to bring them inwards?

There are two sliders in the back for the walls (you can see the ends of them with a stud on top of each in the picture) :) 

And the set just has an extra element to it that’s quite nice that can’t be seen in this picture. 

1 hour ago, Paul11283652 said:

I was expecting Dagobah to be the only set I might get in May, but now it’s too cartoonish and is basically an expanded play set. I had hoped for more dark tan olive green and I already have the same figures so I might just bricklink most of it in the colours I want and build it that way.

The Trench Run is growing on me. I usually can’t stand polybag style builds but the X-wing looks alright, the greebling is excellent and the TIEs can be removed anyway.

No need to say anymore about the Trash Compactor.

Kind of agree, the hut is a great step up on the recent set but still looks a bit too bright in tan. If it has an interior i will still go for it. If not I don't see the value 

On 3/21/2022 at 3:18 AM, Zap Rowsdower said:

Is it possible that Obi-wan's Jedi Starfighter is a Delta-7b? From the clone wars? It would pair well with Anakin's Jedi Starfighter from 2018.

It’s supposed to come with Taun We, so it probably won’t be the Delta-7b unfortunately. I wouldn’t put it past them to screw up and give us a 7b anyway though. 

I like the look of this new stormie design. Every time I rewatch any of the OT movies or the “A Star Wars story”s, I just think “Why don’t the LEGO stormies have white waists like the clones? It only makes sense.” I’m glad they’re finally doing it, but I would’ve preferred it if they did it in 2019 when they updated the helmets, because now that’s ANOTHER different stormtrooper to display alongside the others. 

Edited by AD_Bricks

19 hours ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

The thing is, the prices aren't all that outrageous. $59.99 for 665 pieces and $79.99 for 1000 pieces are great ppp ratios. The sets are definitely a little small size-wise for the prices (at least Yoda's hut is smaller than I thought by a little bit), but the ppp ratios are incredible for SW sets.

I don't really get the whole price per piece thing cause even if the ratio is good but the size of the pieces is incredibly small compared to larger-scale playsets pieces then it makes no difference. I don't really see the point of more pieces being better if all the pieces are smaller; For example, it's not like ten 1x1 tiles took any more plastic to make than one 2x5 but according to PPP the 2x5 would be worse cause its only one lego piece. I'd love to know if there's another reason for price per piece being used in the AFOL community but that's how I think of it in my head. 

41 minutes ago, AD_Bricks said:

It’s supposed to come with Taun We, so it probably won’t be the Delta-7b unfortunately. I wouldn’t put it past them to screw up and give us a 7b anyway though. 

I like the look of this new stormie design. Every time I rewatch any of the OT movies or the “A Star Wars story”s, I just think “Why don’t the LEGO stormies have white waists like the clones? It only makes sense.” I’m glad they’re finally doing it, but I would’ve preferred it if they did it in 2019 when they updated the helmets, because now that’s ANOTHER different stormtrooper to display alongside the others. 

Are we sure it comes with Tuan We cause it was never confirmed to be an Episode 2 fighter and the way leaks and numbers have been changing constantly and fake rumors have spread this year I'm not sure if we will see Tuan We. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a giant curveball and we get a Kaminon in a Bad Batch set like Cad Bane's ship or something like it. 

Edited by kidtheboss611

3 hours ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

And the set just has an extra element to it that’s quite nice that can’t be seen in this picture. 

The dianoga perhaps? :laugh:

1 minute ago, kidtheboss611 said:

I don't really get the whole price per piece thing like these cause even if the ratio is good the size of the pieces is incredibly small compared to larger-scale playsets pieces. I don't really see the point of more pieces being better if all the pieces are smaller; it's not like ten 1x1 tiles took any more plastic to make than one 2x5 but according to PPP the 2x5 would be worse cause its only one lego piece. I'd love to know if there's another reason for price per piece but that's how I think of it in my head. 

Ten 1x1s probably would take a tiny bit more plastic than one 2x5; if you make enough of them then that difference does add up. The broader point around PPP still stands, though - in general, it's a reasonable metric to assess the value of a LEGO set, but it falls apart when sets have lots of smaller pieces (like the art sets) or big moulded pieces, where the higher cost of the mould will need to be offset by a higher price and therefore a worse ratio (in theory).

18 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

I don't really get the whole price per piece thing cause even if the ratio is good but the size of the pieces is incredibly small compared to larger-scale playsets pieces then it makes no difference. I don't really see the point of more pieces being better if all the pieces are smaller; For example, it's not like ten 1x1 tiles took any more plastic to make than one 2x5 but according to PPP the 2x5 would be worse cause its only one lego piece. I'd love to know if there's another reason for price per piece being used in the AFOL community but that's how I think of it in my head. 

Price per piece is a fundamentally flawed way of determining whether or not a set is worth it, but some people seem to be stuck to this way of thinking.

Are there any rumoured sets expected to include stormtroopers, or is it just Luke & Han in the trash compactor so far?

35 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Ten 1x1s probably would take a tiny bit more plastic than one 2x5; if you make enough of them then that difference does add up. The broader point around PPP still stands, though - in general, it's a reasonable metric to assess the value of a LEGO set, but it falls apart when sets have lots of smaller pieces (like the art sets) or big moulded pieces, where the higher cost of the mould will need to be offset by a higher price and therefore a worse ratio (in theory).

I guess I get the mould cost argument but I still think ppp shouldn't heavily weigh into a set's "value" cause while Dagobah and the trench run have great ppp ratios I still don't think they're worth their prices and I'll wait for a sale.