MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

So legohio is now claiming that the 530$ set is an MBS Yavin. He seems sort of like Kingwong 2.0, no?

No way they’d do that. That concept set was pretty great, IMHO. I think that all of these ‘rumors’ are definitely just spammers trying to capitalize on the culture that other, trustworthy, leakers have created. An ‘I might be wrong, I might be right’, kind of culture.

1 hour ago, ArrowBricks said:

Isn’t true. End of story. 

The guy has had lots of rumors and zero vindication so far. I will not believe a word he says until that happens, if ever.

1 hour ago, ArrowBricks said:

Isn’t true. End of story. 

I'd still be over the moon if it was really the mbs coruscant that was rumored here a little while ago although not by a reputable source at all so let the suspense build 

I'd rather the MBS be a massive Jabba's Palace. At least that would put an end to the Rancor, Jabba, TBOBF, Mando set wish lists. Throw a few Pykes in there for completeness and MBS set done.

Too many people making fake accounts these days.

1 hour ago, Darth Malgus said:

I'd rather the MBS be a massive Jabba's Palace. At least that would put an end to the Rancor, Jabba, TBOBF, Mando set wish lists. Throw a few Pykes in there for completeness and MBS set done.

Too many people making fake accounts these days.

Ok but hear me out. MBS Jabba The Hutt to really capture his bigness👀

A Yavin set would be great since I have no interest in good guy stuff so would save lots of cash.

A Jabba’s Palace, Geonesian Arena, Endor Bunker or possibly even a re-designed Death Star might cost me big time though…

13 hours ago, Brickroll said:

So legohio is now claiming that the 530$ set is an MBS Yavin. He seems sort of like Kingwong 2.0, no?

You mean Kingnono? Because kingwong is a reliable leaker, famous for his very subtle way of presenting leaked minifigs :laugh:

Legohio simply is a fraud.

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

You mean Kingnono? Because kingwong is a reliable leaker, famous for his very subtle way of presenting leaked minifigs :laugh:

Legohio simply is a fraud.

That’s who I meant, yeah. Kingnono was the guy who everyone believed at first, but turned out to be a complete hack, right? I meant legohio seems like him, not Kingwong.

There are a lot of things we could wish the MBS set to be. Just be careful to not turn this into a wishlist thread...

I’ll avoid wishlisting but Yavin 4 seems unlikely. Not really too much to represent apart from the medal ceremony and a massive hanger especially at that price. 

It would good for the wallet if true though.

2 hours ago, Remember said:

I’ll avoid wishlisting but Yavin 4 seems unlikely. Not really too much to represent apart from the medal ceremony and a massive hanger especially at that price. 

It would good for the wallet if true though.

Yeah, there are some decently iconic scenes there but it's pretty much the bottom of the barrel in terms of potential MBS options. It's not completely out of the question, but I would be very surprised if we didn't get more famous stuff like Endor and Jabba's Palace first (especially since Episode VI hasn't had any big location MBS-style sets in years).

I don't buy that this leaker is legitimate for a second, but the idea of the next MBS being Yavin IV doesn't feel too implausible to me. Its a location fans have been asking to be made for years and one that can't really be pulled off outside of being done as a MBS set. I suspect it will come down to either this, Endor or Geonosis.

Jabba's Palace just seems fairly unlikely to happen this year when Boba Fett's Throne Room has just been released in stores, as would another Death Star when the Trash Compactor set is coming out soon.

I can see Lego making Yavin IV an Assault on Hoth -like set with bunch of little scenes without a unifying platform. But that sounds nothing like the MBS sets we have seen so far, so I wouldn't bet on that assumption. 

17 hours ago, blujay563 said:

Ok but hear me out. MBS Jabba The Hutt to really capture his bigness👀

MBS is minfig scale, we already have him in that scale. Was more thinking of justice to the palace and as TBOBF has given us more insight it could be far more interesting than the odd playset.

32 minutes ago, Darth Malgus said:

MBS is minfig scale, we already have him in that scale. Was more thinking of justice to the palace and as TBOBF has given us more insight it could be far more interesting than the odd playset.

If I can be needlessly pedantic for a moment (who am I kidding—of course I can be!), none of the MBS sets have been anywhere near minifig scale except maybe the Cantina. They’re system-scale, which means they’re sized appropriately for minifigs to interact with them but doesn’t say anything about their literal numerical scale relative to the original vehicle (or building, or whatever). This is a narrow distinction, but it’s one that a lot of people here will get up in arms about, so we should be careful with it.

4 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

If I can be needlessly pedantic for a moment (who am I kidding—of course I can be!), none of the MBS sets have been anywhere near minifig scale except maybe the Cantina. They’re system-scale, which means they’re sized appropriately for minifigs to interact with them but doesn’t say anything about their literal numerical scale relative to the original vehicle (or building, or whatever). This is a narrow distinction, but it’s one that a lot of people here will get up in arms about, so we should be careful with it.

Noted, system scale more appropriate. 

My main point was I'd rather see a palace than Endor or Yavin as it makes sense this year, Endor makes sense next year. Depending on Andor as a show would determine whether Yavin makes sense at all.

Here's my thought process on the candidates:

1. Death star: I think it's either this or the next one on the list. The last one just retired, it's an immensely popular set that's had a remake already, and the $530 price makes sense for a re-release of a previously $500 set due to inflation (If we assume lego hasn't taken the absurd US inflation of the last year into account for the set's price yet, in which case it would be over $600 if I'm doing the calculations correctly)

2. Endor: This just seems very likely. Super iconic location that hasn't really been represented since 2009 (bunker) and 2013 (ewok village). I could totally see a combination of this (Bunker with giant trees on either side containing the village at the top) selling for $530, too.

3. Yavin. It's pretty well-known, if not quite as much as hoth or endor, and there are a variety of things you can do to liven it up (midi-scale fighters, the temple build itself could be pretty cool if done vertically.) Take into account the iconic scenes (pilot briefing room, the control room leia is in during the trench run, the throne room, the hanger, etc), and I could see lego deciding it's worth it to produce. I would have put Jabba's above this if not for the Boba sets. We've had UCS sets release after system versions before (Literally last year in fact with the AT-AT), but I still think they'll wait, so we don't have 2 tatooine MBS consecutively (with mos eisley in 2020). 

4. Jabba's palace/sail barge. It's very well known, has a LOT of different rooms and a nice exterior design, and say it's a 3000 pc palace and a 2000 pc sail barge, that gets you to $530 and does sort of the whole jabba experience. The 18+ price point is also confirmed to let them get away with a bit more (such as my bois Frank and Matt in the 18+ daily bugle set), so it gets around any hesitation about certain characters. (I think we all know who I'm talking about....Joe Camel is pretty controversial for his cigarette stance but integral to the palace scenes :grin:)

5. Geonosis areana. Don't get me wrong. If the gunship sold well enough (And I think it sold about average for a UCS set from what little I have seen, so I think lego would consider it sucessful enough to continue prequel 18+), we'll definately see this, an Actis, and a Venator within the next decade. But I don't think enough time has passed since the gunship for this to be released. Even if they judged only the sales in the few months between it's release and the leak of that $530 price point, I think they'd have to have a model at least in partial development to get it out within a year of the gunship releasing.

But of course, we're all missing the most obvious options: MBS Canto Bight, MBS Gungan City, and MBS special edition changed mos eisley cantina (The 2020 set but half the bricks are CGI, the han figure doesn't have a blaster, and there's a sound brick that says "MacClunkey" at a 150db volume whenever you enter a 10ft radius of it)

The reason that I don't think a $500+ set could be Yavin is just due to the size. 

The sketch model that showed up in the visual dictionary a while back is a set that, even today, could be done for $150-200 max (and $200 would really be pushing it).  That model captured most of the essence of the base (hangar, pyramid facade, celebration throne room, briefing room, and control station), as well as a midi-scale X-Wing. 

Let's say that you scale up the size of the actual build a little bit, make the rooms bigger, more details in the hangar, that sort of thing.  The temple is one of those where it really cannot be full-scale (like Cloud City), because that's just too big, so rooms like the hangar and celebration throne room aren't going to be full scale regardless, but an MBS version would definitely be larger than the model that never got released.  Then, at most I think we'd get two midi-scale ships, so let's say they maybe add in an additional Y-Wing in a midi-scale.  

I can't see that being more than $350-400, assuming that the smaller play-scale sketch model would be roughly a $150-180 set.  I'd love an MBS Yavin at some point, but I think it's better suited for a $350 set, not a $500 set.

My money is on a new Death Star - it fits the price point the best out of the other contenders, and personally I'm hoping it's not some of the other choices as that would represent a marked increase on the 'standard' MBS price (I know, there's only been two other sets so far, so the standard could be meaningless). An increase to $530 would be a 66% jump on previous prices ... huh, maybe there's some significance in that figure ... 

58 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

The reason that I don't think a $500+ set could be Yavin is just due to the size. 

The sketch model that showed up in the visual dictionary a while back is a set that, even today, could be done for $150-200 max (and $200 would really be pushing it).  That model captured most of the essence of the base (hangar, pyramid facade, celebration throne room, briefing room, and control station), as well as a midi-scale X-Wing.

The Visual Dictionary was published in 2009 and that Yavin model wasn't recent even when it came out, so it seems unlikely to me that that concept would be relevant at all to anything they're making today. Set design 15 years ago was totally different than it is now; there's no way the designers would be taking any significant notes from anything that old.

Really the only thing I have to say for this whole discussion is that none of this is based on even the slightest bit of actual information, and y'all are setting yourselves up to be disappointed again when it turns out to be, like, four square feet of Dagobah swampland or something.

The price point does seem more appropriate for a Death Star than another location but we’ll see.

7 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Really the only thing I have to say for this whole discussion is that none of this is based on even the slightest bit of actual information, and y'all are setting yourselves up to be disappointed again when it turns out to be, like, four square feet of Dagobah swampland or something.

I, for one, would be thrilled at 4 feet of swamp #ThisIsMahSwamp :laugh: