MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

I think people wishing for a full AOTC anniversary summer wave are going to be disappointed. For the ESB anniversary two years ago we got a total of one system scale set (the AT-AT), a couple of convention exclusives, and the helmets line was also launched under this banner. I know a lot of this is coming from YouTube and Instagram bouncing off existing rumours to drive clicks, but best case scenario it will just be an AT-TE and Jedi Starfighter (if the rumours are true) with an AOTC 20th Anniversary logo on the side of the box and the rest of the wave will be new media tie-ins plus other films, as happened in 2020. I know "past performance is no indicator of future etc." so maybe I'm wrong, just hope this won't be another Commander Cody situation where everyone gets upset about something that was never going to happen.

1 hour ago, MaximillianRebo said:

I think people wishing for a full AOTC anniversary summer wave are going to be disappointed. For the ESB anniversary two years ago we got a total of one system scale set (the AT-AT), a couple of convention exclusives, and the helmets line was also launched under this banner. I know a lot of this is coming from YouTube and Instagram bouncing off existing rumours to drive clicks, but best case scenario it will just be an AT-TE and Jedi Starfighter (if the rumours are true) with an AOTC 20th Anniversary logo on the side of the box and the rest of the wave will be new media tie-ins plus other films, as happened in 2020. I know "past performance is no indicator of future etc." so maybe I'm wrong, just hope this won't be another Commander Cody situation where everyone gets upset about something that was never going to happen.

I agree. No reason why a Gunship for example couldn’t be named in the original list. I doubt it’s coming.

Just picked up Boba Fett's Throne Room at Costco for $80. Definitely worth it at that price and 2 weeks early. Looking forward to all of the other releases so far this year. This mixed/constant waves have been kind of nice, dropping us goodies every couple months.

2 hours ago, CodeNameGoldMember said:

Just picked up Boba Fett's Throne Room at Costco for $80. Definitely worth it at that price and 2 weeks early. Looking forward to all of the other releases so far this year. This mixed/constant waves have been kind of nice, dropping us goodies every couple months.

I’d love to get just the Throne build from it with Fennec and Boba for display, but I doubt that’ll be cheap. 

And I would agree. The smaller intermittent waves in between the larger waves have been kinda nice.

Edited by NoOneOfImportance

Is Fennec 's hair actually unique in Boba's throne room? Or even designed for her specifically? Or indeed particularly accurate? It looks the same as a couple of other 2022 sets. I think there's a vet or something in the City line.

1 hour ago, Redroe said:

Is Fennec 's hair actually unique in Boba's throne room? Or even designed for her specifically? Or indeed particularly accurate? It looks the same as a couple of other 2022 sets. I think there's a vet or something in the City line.

It's the same hair piece designed specifically for Makari in the Marvel Eternals sets. I think it looks fine, it's somewhat accurate except for the lack of bangs but it at least captures the intricate braids she has fairly well. I'd say it's more accurate to her Bad Batch appearance. 

If that Kaminoan minidoll is real, I would like to know why they decided to mould a new minidoll torso instead of a new kaminoan head/neck for a normal figure. 

That said, it still looks great and I’m very excited to see Obi-Wan’s Delta 7 again, especially at a nice low price point. 

8 minutes ago, ToaDraco said:

It's the same hair piece designed specifically for Makari in the Marvel Eternals sets. I think it looks fine, it's somewhat accurate except for the lack of bangs but it at least captures the intricate braids she has fairly well. I'd say it's more accurate to her Bad Batch appearance. 

Ahh, I see that now. No interest in Marvel sets so hadn't picked that up but I thought it looked too detailed to not be a specific mold. You're right that it matches the stylised animated look pretty well.

if they really use a Minidoll... that would be a genius move. The proportions of the legs/dress part and arms are just perfect. A normal minifigure - no matter what new head/neck piece they'd use would always look weird.

13 minutes ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

if they really use a Minidoll... that would be a genius move. The proportions of the legs/dress part and arms are just perfect. A normal minifigure - no matter what new head/neck piece they'd use would always look weird.

Agreed, it would be genius. While I typically hate the minidolls, this would be a perfect use of those parts. I don't  know if it's the real deal or just a very good custom of Taun We but it's on Instagram in the usual places. Either way, it really sells me on the idea of it and looks fantastic. 

The Lego Movie 2 has proven minidolls and minifigs coexist. :wink: 

Much better solution than sticking a 1x2 brick between the legs and the torso as the original videogame did. Right down to the slight ridge visible between the joining pieces. 

3 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

Agreed, it would be genius. While I typically hate the minidolls, this would be a perfect use of those parts. I don't  know if it's the real deal or just a very good custom of Taun We but it's on Instagram in the usual places. Either way, it really sells me on the idea of it and looks fantastic. 

I couldn’t agree more. If the picture is legit, I reallt look forward to this set! The head piece from minidolls suits perfectly to the shape of a Kaminoan’s head.

23 minutes ago, storskogen said:

I couldn’t agree more. If the picture is legit, I reallt look forward to this set! The head piece from minidolls suits perfectly to the shape of a Kaminoan’s head.

Not sure what image everyone is talking about, but I agree about this being a good use of the minidolls. The only problem is the minidoll heads have moulded noses, which wouldn’t work on Kaminoans, so they’d have to create a new mould for the head. 

Also if they are using minidolls for Kaminoans, that opens the door for potentially doing something more accurate for Geonosians, with bodies more like Grievous or the B1s and not normal minifig parts.

That Taun We figure looks really good, but I feel like that's a fake leak.  It seems like way too high quality of a picture for a figure leak this early in the cycle.  I'm curious how they do the Kaminoan, and I didn't think about using a minidoll, but I feel like that picture just looks way too clean.

On 2/19/2022 at 7:48 AM, Classic_Spaceman said:

Does she? From the images that I have seen, it appears that she has the same arm printing as she does in the Light Cruiser. Also, the existing arms appear accurate to me, so I am not quite sure to what you are referring. 🤔

I double checked and it is different on the box and renders on the website in comparison to the light cruiser fig but in Mandr’s review of the place the figure has the same arm printing. I’m guessing it’s just some kind of error on LEGO’s part. 
I realise now the light cruiser arms are still accurate, I dunno what I was trying to say there lol. 

Edited by AD_Bricks

55 minutes ago, AD_Bricks said:

I double checked and it is different on the box and renders on the website in comparison to the light cruiser fig but in Mandr’s review of the place the figure has the same arm printing. I’m guessing it’s just some kind of error on LEGO’s part. 
I realise now the light cruiser arms are still accurate, I dunno what I was trying to say there lol. 

I have both sets and took a look at the Fennec Shane figures. I can confirm that the only difference between the two is the helmet versus the hair. 

Sorry if this question and topic has already been discussed, but do you know if Lego is planning on releasing any Obiwan Kenobi sets based off the Disney Plus show releasing in the spring? 

I really like that Duel on Mustafar set from 2020. Also I'm trying to decide if I should get the new Boba Fett palace, because I've always wanted Jabba's palace and I've heard lots of people have found the set early at Costco for $80 instead of $100.

20 minutes ago, The Brickvenger said:

Sorry if this question and topic has already been discussed, but do you know if Lego is planning on releasing any Obiwan Kenobi sets based off the Disney Plus show releasing in the spring? 

I really like that Duel on Mustafar set from 2020. Also I'm trying to decide if I should get the new Boba Fett palace, because I've always wanted Jabba's palace and I've heard lots of people have found the set early at Costco for $80 instead of $100.

No rumours about Kenobi as of yet, but if they follow the formula they’ve used for every other Star Wars Disney+ show, I’d guess that one or two Kenobi sets will come out on August 1st to tie-in to the release of the show, with a possibility of more later on down the line. 

7 minutes ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

No rumours about Kenobi as of yet, but if they follow the formula they’ve used for every other Star Wars Disney+ show, I’d guess that one or two Kenobi sets will come out on August 1st to tie-in to the release of the show, with a possibility of more later on down the line. 

Thanks for letting me know 😊

I'm new to Eurobricks

"Hello There"- Obiwan Kenobi

On 2/18/2022 at 6:08 PM, blujay563 said:

I specifically mentioned the republic tank was rumored? Even if it's not true it's not wishlisting to mention a possible leak

It's been pretty well established at this point that the leak was very much fake.

23 hours ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

I’d love to get just the Throne build from it with Fennec and Boba for display, but I doubt that’ll be cheap. 

This is what I want to do as well, but between boba, fennec, and the parts for the throne, just spending the $80 at costco might be cheaper than buying the figs and parts online. Maybe I'll sell some of the aliens to get some money back.

On 2/18/2022 at 9:31 PM, CodeNameGoldMember said:

Would you recommend it, then? I do want the throne but I'm trying not to spend too much on lego this year, and I'm definately getting the BD-1 and hypothetical AT-TE.

19 hours ago, Redroe said:

Ahh, I see that now. No interest in Marvel sets so hadn't picked that up but I thought it looked too detailed to not be a specific mold. You're right that it matches the stylised animated look pretty well.

This is a complete sidebar but dear god the eternals sets (ones with that hair part) sold so spectacularly poorly. My local target's got em nearing 50% off, which is UNHEARD OF for lego around here. There is a quite nice looking one of a big red transformer-looking fellow I've got my eye on, though, waiting to see how low they'll take it's price.

I agree that it works for the Bad Batch hair better than the live-action. I do wish we got a new mold, as I think her hair's pretty unique, but it's better than nothing.

18 hours ago, Redroe said:

Much better solution than sticking a 1x2 brick between the legs and the torso as the original videogame did. Right down to the slight ridge visible between the joining pieces. 

I think a standard minifig with new head mold would be best (I don't like specialized molds where they can be avoided, but I know this is unpopular here at least with regards to stuff like the rancor and dewback), but I have so much nostalgia for that game that if they just released a figure based on the 2005 game model I'd be happy enough.

24 minutes ago, The Brickvenger said:

I'm new to Eurobricks

Welcome! Always great to see new members! 

Edited by Mandalorianknight

13 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

That Taun We figure looks really good, but I feel like that's a fake leak.  It seems like way too high quality of a picture for a figure leak this early in the cycle.  I'm curious how they do the Kaminoan, and I didn't think about using a minidoll, but I feel like that picture just looks way too clean.

Honestly it looks like a pretty good render to me, something about it just doesn't match the Obi Wan and R4 pics next to it. It looks pretty good, but I'd still prefer a regular minifig with a moulded neck piece, just like @Mandalorianknight

29 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Would you recommend it, then? I do want the throne but I'm trying not to spend too much on lego this year, and I'm definately getting the BD-1 and hypothetical AT-TE

Definitely waiting for that AT-TE as well, even if I already have the 2013 one...

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

It's been pretty well established at this point that the leak was very much fake.

I don't think it's been completely discredited yet but I will admit it's really unlikely especially with the minifig selection but it would be appropriate to release it around an atte and gunship tbf. I guess we'll find out for sure whenever the $50 set is revealed

Edited by blujay563

5 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

the eternals sets (ones with that hair part) sold so spectacularly poorly. My local target's got em nearing 50% off, which is UNHEARD OF for lego around here

Maybe because the source material got a pretty lukewarm reception, which lets me bring your sidebar back to the topic (you're welcome): I was not impressed at all with TBoBF, so I'm unwilling to drop a lot of money on the sets. I realise my wallet's contribution to TLG's and Lucasfilm's end of year report is a drop in the ocean, but no matter how objectively good the set, if it's based on a naff show... 

Disney seem to be sticking to safe ground now with their storytelling,  and while I don't want another TLJ to break the mold with every new property, I definitely don't want to feed a machine of churning out half baked shows which rely on pressing fan buttons rather than consistent plotting and direction for their success.

Lego were extremely cautious with their Mandalorian sets, until they saw that the world loved the show and then they went for it with both hands. The Book of Boba should on paper have been an absolute slam dunk, so makes sense that a top end set be reserved for its promotion... but if that set sells like hot cakes, then disney feed us more of the same. Would I love another rancor set? Yes. But because i love the rancor from RotJ, not because it was showcased in TBoBF... which is exactly the nostalgia well TBoBF relies on for its success.

10 minutes ago, Redroe said:

Maybe because the source material got a pretty lukewarm reception, which lets me bring your sidebar back to the topic (you're welcome): I was not impressed at all with TBoBF, so I'm unwilling to drop a lot of money on the sets. I realise my wallet's contribution to TLG's and Lucasfilm's end of year report is a drop in the ocean, but no matter how objectively good the set, if it's based on a naff show... 

Disney seem to be sticking to safe ground now with their storytelling,  and while I don't want another TLJ to break the mold with every new property, I definitely don't want to feed a machine of churning out half baked shows which rely on pressing fan buttons rather than consistent plotting and direction for their success.

Lego were extremely cautious with their Mandalorian sets, until they saw that the world loved the show and then they went for it with both hands. The Book of Boba should on paper have been an absolute slam dunk, so makes sense that a top end set be reserved for its promotion... but if that set sells like hot cakes, then disney feed us more of the same. Would I love another rancor set? Yes. But because i love the rancor from RotJ, not because it was showcased in TBoBF... which is exactly the nostalgia well TBoBF relies on for its success.

Some sequel X-Wings and similar sets I think went through as - more or less pimped - OT sets. But with the palace set, I'm just not sure about the resemblance.. The interior certainly is much nicer but so many key features and details are missing. On top of that you get a downgraded Fennec and no Update for Boba. At the end of the day is is a bunch of tanish bricks mixed with some colourful figures.

45 minutes ago, Redroe said:

Lucasfilm doesn’t make decisions of what content they’re creating based on toy sales. Making the toys sell is the job of the marketing team and toy companies, and completely separate from the storytellers at Lucasfilm. Not to mention the fact that by the time they get the statistics on how a toy sells, the next part of a project is already 2 to 3 years deep into development (or more when it comes to animation).