MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

1 hour ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

Just wait. This'll be the name for it next.. :hmpf:

I like that one alot (it's from a ragnorak scene), but my personal favorite is still "Uygher one", considering, you know, disney being pretty cozy with a country enslaving and killing them.

45 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

I love both Luke and Mando's helmets. But I think Luke's will be the one that gets me to buy my first helmet set. I'm assuming all those parts are printed, right? So much re-use potential for Rebel MOCs!

I think the helmets have had stickers before, but the ones on the luke helmet look printed to me. 

57 minutes ago, Childish_Landino said:

Interesting how all of the March 1st releases are sets related to the Mando S2 finale, though we didn't directly see Luke's helmet, only his X-Wing. 

That's true! Wonder when we'll see the dark trooper helmet and palace.

Looking at hi resolution pictures on Brickset, Luke’s helmet seems to have a mixture of printed pieces (mostly dish plates) and stickers. This is definitelty the most difficult helmet design so far, and the helmet itself is good. The visor, however, does’t really look like a visor. It reminds me more of some Ray-Ban avitor sunglasses…

2 hours ago, Eaglefan344 said:

I think it looks great, but Vader is definitely the worst and I don't see how it's close. 

Has anyone who thinks it looks great actually compared it to the real helmet in the movie(s)?

The top of the front (what is that called, the brim?) goes up so high that it would reach a balding person’s hairline. If Luke would wear this helmet his entire forehead would be exposed, and as a result of the front going up too high the goggles are too high as well. Also the front of the real helmet is straight while this one is arched, the cup of the helmet is way too shallow for a human’s head to be able to fit in, the Rebel Alliance logos are almost on top of the helmet and can’t be properly seen looking at it from the front, and whoever designed this helmet has clearly never looked at the back of the real thing because the curve goes down so deep it would end up inside the back of the wearer’s neck.

And then there is the stud in the middle of the Rebel logos…

This particular helmet is such an utter design fail that I legitimately laughed out loud when I saw the pictures. The proportions are completely whack and it is anatomically incorrect  *huh*

That being said…  liking it is perfectly cool of course :laugh:

Edited by TBD

3 hours ago, TBD said:

Has anyone who thinks it looks great actually compared it to the real helmet in the movie(s)?

The real question is, have you?

If you look at the box shot, which shows both a still from the movie and  the LEGO helmet, you can see from the angle of the print on the side of the helmet that LEGO's helmet is tilted back a good 30º on the stand, which accounts for several of your grievances.

As for complaining that there's a stud in the middle of a printed dish, well, perhaps you should be collecting something other than LEGO if studs bother you this much.

1 hour ago, ArrowBricks said:

The rest of the pics for March will be revealed in 3 days. 

What do you wanna bet that the pictures will leak within the next 24 hours after everything else at this point... 

The picture with Mando and Boba's helmets next to each other is comical. They have swapped proportions. Boba's helmet looks slim and narrow (my main complaint when I reviewed it), while Mando's is quite wide - like Boba's helmet actually is in universe.

I like the cheek shaping and layering for Mando, but the overall proportions are off.

9 hours ago, Eaglefan344 said:

I think it looks great, but Vader is definitely the worst and I don't see how it's close. 

Vader’s is the best helmet though. It looks so much better when building it. The Stormtrooper is the worst, the eyes are all wrong. Luke’s doesn’t look perfect but trying a few mods might be better.

9 hours ago, jdubbs said:

The real question is, have you?

If you look at the box shot, which shows both a still from the movie and  the LEGO helmet, you can see from the angle of the print on the side of the helmet that LEGO's helmet is tilted back a good 30º on the stand, which accounts for several of your grievances.

As for complaining that there's a stud in the middle of a printed dish, well, perhaps you should be collecting something other than LEGO if studs bother you this much.

The answer to that question should be obvious as it is explained in my previous post. I thought it was tilted at first too, but when you look at the side it actually isn’t. The side part is shaped more or less correctly (a tiny bit too egg shaped but ok) and angled correctly. If the top would be tilted forward and the sides stay as they are the helmet would be fine. But that is not how they designed it and as a result they completely botched this helmet.

Perhaps don’t tell other people what they should or shouldn’t collect :wink: A stud in the middle of this particular print looks awful. It completely screws up the logo. Lego should be better than that.

Edited by TBD

5 hours ago, Paul11283652 said:

Luke’s doesn’t look perfect but trying a few mods might be better.

With any luck, if the sides can be attached differently without much hassle that would already help a lot. The cup would still be too shallow (and the front too arched) to fit a human head but it could at least pass as Luke’s Rebel bicycle helmet :laugh_hard:

I'm impressed by good the new helmets look. Din's puts Boba's to shame and it pa8ns me to say that given how plain and boring I generally find Din's helmet to be. All the shaping and texturing and especially the subtle angling of the sides all work to great effect and really goes to show how they are improving with these helmets. It's too bad Boba's looks so dated by comparison.

On 1/26/2022 at 10:39 PM, BrickBob Studpants said:

Hide contents

It not being able to fit any bounties is the entire point: Din only returned to bounty hunting because Grogu was his moral compass and now that he's gone, he falls back into old habits. It's all he ever knew after all. The astromech pit is obviously designed to hold a certain foundling 

:grin: 

Pretty sure Mando S3 will be about him accepting the duties that come with the darksaber and becoming Mand'alor, mirroring Boba's rise from bounty hunter to leader. 

I get it and also the show is written so if they write scenes to only need a 1,5 seater it resolves itself. Just as they needed the Falcon in EP5 to get to Bespin but then Luke can do the same stuff with just one small ship originally only being designed for dogfights. These things are not an issue in SW, it's just what it is. I just feel like you would not want to go from a ship as big as your apartement to a small fighter without toilet :pir_laugh2:. In Rebels they always had the Phantom so even wihout the base ship (the Ghost) you'd have enough space in a Star Trek-like shuttle to move small cargo, some passengers and so on. 

But who knows - they have captured 2 capitol ships from Gideon in S2 so this could be a good base.

Anyway: helmet looks good - just hope now they also update Mandos helmet as well as Bobas. I also think Mandis helmet could profit from dual molding, to really make the black visor shine. I mean we got new molds for some monkey warriors back in Solo or singular First Order troopers never to be seen again.

3 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

I get it and also the show is written so if they write scenes to only need a 1,5 seater it resolves itself. Just as they needed the Falcon in EP5 to get to Bespin but then Luke can do the same stuff with just one small ship originally only being designed for dogfights. These things are not an issue in SW, it's just what it is. I just feel like you would not want to go from a ship as big as your apartement to a small fighter without toilet :pir_laugh2:. In Rebels they always had the Phantom so even wihout the base ship (the Ghost) you'd have enough space in a Star Trek-like shuttle to move small cargo, some passengers and so on. 

But who knows - they have captured 2 capitol ships from Gideon in S2 so this could be a good base.

Anyway: helmet looks good - just hope now they also update Mandos helmet as well as Bobas. I also think Mandis helmet could profit from dual molding, to really make the black visor shine. I mean we got new molds for some monkey warriors back in Solo or singular First Order troopers never to be seen again.

Totally agree with you on new Mando helmet mold, the one they use now is pretty bad and outdated tbh. If they take Gar Saxon helmet mold and just remove horns, it would make much better Mando helmet in my opinion. 
But Legos logic when it comes to new molds in SW doesn’t make any sense. They made 4 new molds for Knights of ren( which will probably never be used again), but still refuse to update Phase 2 Clone helmets to fit range finders and visors. Let’s be honest, they will get way more use out of new Phase 2 helmet than out of KoR helmets.

3 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

I was just thinking about that the other day. If they were to do dual-moulding, I wonder if they’d use dark trans or black for the visor? The dark trans would be more accurate, but if you can see the minifig head inside then the black one might be better. Given we have the dual-moulded Resistance helmets, I think it’s inevitable that we see a dual-moulded Mandalorian helmet in the next decade or two. 

40 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

Totally agree with you on new Mando helmet mold, the one they use now is pretty bad and outdated tbh. If they take Gar Saxon helmet mold and just remove horns, it would make much better Mando helmet in my opinion. 
But Legos logic when it comes to new molds in SW doesn’t make any sense. They made 4 new molds for Knights of ren( which will probably never be used again), but still refuse to update Phase 2 Clone helmets to fit range finders and visors. Let’s be honest, they will get way more use out of new Phase 2 helmet than out of KoR helmets.

15 minutes ago, QuiggoldsPegLeg said:

I was just thinking about that the other day. If they were to do dual-moulding, I wonder if they’d use dark trans or black for the visor? The dark trans would be more accurate, but if you can see the minifig head inside then the black one might be better. Given we have the dual-moulded Resistance helmets, I think it’s inevitable that we see a dual-moulded Mandalorian helmet in the next decade or two. 

Transclear could be cool but only with black underneath which they won't do since they give us the face of such characters - or not, looking at the titular character of the Mandalorian :pir-murder:

I still hold the 1st style of Mando helmets (and actually first Clone helmets) in high regard. Proportions were not perfect but other than adding some variety: the blackness from a black head underneath was always more striking compared the - unfortunately quite bad printing on the Mando helmets. I almost wanted to say the current prints are worse. Like they look worse and lesser quality (Bobas helmets until recently had some silver printing on the side for example and now they skip that not to mention the neglected detail on all the other helmets) but I gotta say, compared to some fantastic Rebel-pilot helmets, the Mando helmets were always printed a bit messy. Maybe they come from different factories.

I don't wanna complain too much - 2 years ago we had almost no Mandalorian figures and arm printing was exclusive for super expensive sets and weird figures (Wookie slave, Greedo). But I feel like if they'd just do a proper Mando helmet mold, they'd not lose someone like me to order costumes instead (which I didn't do so far but I'm close :pir_tong2: ).

New moulds have always been a tricky topic for this theme ever since film-based sets clearly had far bigger budgets than regular waves. I personally loved the Solo sets in particular for the sheer variety of new minifigure moulds they offered.  

Outside of budgets, I wonder what drives Lego to produce new moulds for certain characters, especially when it comes to their policy on where using existing moulds is passable enough for new characters. The Bad Batch definitely come to mind - the existing P2 helmets work okay, but ‘compromises’ like Crosshair not having a rangefinder just makes the character look so inaccurate in my opinion. The ongoing use of the 2013 P2 helmet make me worry that if we ever do see Rex and Cody, they just won’t look right. 
Stormtroopers too - the current helmet mould looks quite detailed, but there’s no functional benefit to them. 2021 introducing parts like the horned Mandalorian helmet, new armour piece, Dark Trooper head etc. was certainly a step in the right direction.

The new buildable helmets look fantastic! Mando is a day 1 buy, Luke’s helmet is also far better than I was expecting but a pass for me, can’t wait to see the rest of the March sets on Tuesday. Hopefully this also signifies the summer set list releasing soon as well as confirmation of what the mystery May set is.

Edited by T21Typhoon

On 1/30/2022 at 12:11 AM, Paul11283652 said:

Vader’s is the best helmet though. It looks so much better when building it. The Stormtrooper is the worst, the eyes are all wrong. Luke’s doesn’t look perfect but trying a few mods might be better.

The sticker ruins it imo

17 minutes ago, Mr No said:

When should we get pics of the other March sets? Tomorrow? 

I would only hope for dark trooper attack set tomorrow and maybe the helmet. The palace will probably get revealed at a different date

5 minutes ago, Falconfan1414 said:

I would only hope for dark trooper attack set tomorrow and maybe the helmet. The palace will probably get revealed at a different date

Damn that sucks, these sets release in a month after all. I see your point through, Lego will probably reveal Boba’s / Bib Unfortuna’s Palace after the season finale of TBoBF. 

Dark Trooper set looks great and it’s nice to get a new Luke variant with the Jedi robes. This definitely softens the blow of the DC Tower of Fate rumor being fake. 

Great looking set. They've done it justice. 

On the box art, we cam see Grogu's buildable cradle. Wonder if it will actually appear in an upcoming set.

LOVE the dark trooper set. It has no right to look this good. I thought it was gonna be the final duel luke, 3 dark troopers with stud shooters, and a bad hallway with bright red levers to move the figures. This is INCREDIBLE! It looks so good! New Luke is nice, and the dark troopers having accurate guns is nice, but by far the most unexpected part to me is how the hallway looks almost on the level of bespin duel or vader's meditation chamber.

Overall 10/10 if it's $30 or less. I didn't plan on buying this, but I'm blown away, and getting at least 1 for sure. If BL prices for that luke are good, I might buy a second one, sell the luke, and extend the hallway.

Edited by Mandalorianknight