MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

22 hours ago, MaximillianRebo said:

Just watched a review of the Razor Crest Microfighter. What stood out for me (in a bad way) was the 1x4 technic bricks used to attach the engines. They really make the overall shape too blocky (pun slightly intended); maybe wedge plates or something over the top to hide those bricks or just a completely different engine design/connection method would've helped in a big way. I actually didn't mind the stud shooters - it's a microfighter, it's going to have stud shooters, and they can be easily removed without sacrificing anything. The other downside to the set is there's nothing new in the minifig. This will be the fourth? release of a Beskar Mando fig, and it's already shown up in cheap sets, unlike say Kylo Ren who could otherwise only be found in his much more expensive shuttle, or even ANH Han, also usually in more expensive sets.

It's funny since for a while we were all clamoring for Beskar Mando, but at this point the original variant would be preferable since he hasn't shown up in a while and appears in fewer sets than Beskar Mando does (with the cheapest being $50). 

With all the new Star Wars video games coming out, it would really suck if LEGO doesn't make sets based on them. I'm still surprised they haven't made anything for Fallen Order.

Eclipse, KoTOR Remake, Fallen Order 2 and Ubisoft's project are just four games we know of. Please LEGO, give us some sets.

The High Republic as a whole deserves sets tbh.

Sorry, i know this has been asked before, but... Do we have to wait until next year to get official pictures of Boba's Throne Room?

Waiting takes so long form the reveal of the set's name until we see pictures, i almost loose interest and my hype dies because later sets are on the horizon already...

49 minutes ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

Sorry, i know this has been asked before, but... Do we have to wait until next year to get official pictures of Boba's Throne Room?

Waiting takes so long form the reveal of the set's name until we see pictures, i almost loose interest and my hype dies because later sets are on the horizon already...

I think we might see them a week before, or a week after the release of the show. I am not in the know on this, but from a practical point of view this makes sense. But it could be later, of course.

2 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

With all the new Star Wars video games coming out, it would really suck if LEGO doesn't make sets based on them. I'm still surprised they haven't made anything for Fallen Order.

Eclipse, KoTOR Remake, Fallen Order 2 and Ubisoft's project are just four games we know of. Please LEGO, give us some sets.

The trailer looked intense and thrilling. I don’t see any sets happening, not one. Too much content for Lego to do that makes more sense from a commercial point of view. So many shows and films will are coming out in the next few years. 

2 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

If you're going to lose interest in a set between the time you first hear about it and the time you see it, you probably shouldn't be looking at leaks. Because, with very rare exception, there is inevitably a gap of several months between the first sketchy set names, then detailed descriptions, and finally pictures of the actual sets. This is part of the reason LEGO doesn't like leaks... they just distract from what's on shelves now, or about to be.

3 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Agreed. I’m still hoping that Lego makes The Mantis to coincide with Fallen Order 2, whenever that comes out. Those other games would make for some cool sets as well.

I haven’t delved into The High Republic books and comics yet, but there are so many neat character and ship designs that Lego sets would be really awesome to see. I think it’s only a matter of time, especially with how much they’ve been pushing this era.

23 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

If you're going to lose interest in a set between the time you first hear about it and the time you see it, you probably shouldn't be looking at leaks. Because, with very rare exception, there is inevitably a gap of several months between the first sketchy set names, then detailed descriptions, and finally pictures of the actual sets. This is part of the reason LEGO doesn't like leaks... they just distract from what's on shelves now, or about to be.

I didn't ask for leaks, i was asking if somebody has an idea when Lego will release the official pictures. Lego's staggered reveal schedule is no fun :laugh_hard:

3 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

It releases in march, so...yeah.  Like @jdubbs said, I'd advise you don't look for leaked set names, lists, etc if having to wait between those leaks and images makes you lose interest.

1 hour ago, The Stud said:

Agreed. I’m still hoping that Lego makes The Mantis to coincide with Fallen Order 2, whenever that comes out. Those other games would make for some cool sets as well.

I haven’t delved into The High Republic books and comics yet, but there are so many neat character and ship designs that Lego sets would be really awesome to see. I think it’s only a matter of time, especially with how much they’ve been pushing this era.

I think we could see a mantis for fallen order 2, the game ended up selling pretty well. Not a fan of the high republic books and comics, but eclipse looks very cool, though I worry it'll be too dark for lego to make sets off.

46 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I think we could see a mantis for fallen order 2, the game ended up selling pretty well. Not a fan of the high republic books and comics, but eclipse looks very cool, though I worry it'll be too dark for lego to make sets off.

I remember they said something about the first game being too mature or something along those lines, and that was why we didn't see sets for it, but I feel like it's more just a matter of what they think will sell. If Fallen Order 2, Eclipse, or any other large-scale games are coming out during a period where there isn't a ton of new Star Wars media releasing then I think one set with the main characters is possible, but unfortunately I think Lego is just a lot more interested in doing stuff based on the movies and TV shows. It kind of feels like they have something of an aversion to doing video game sets for anything. The only video game themes we've ever gotten are Minecraft and Mario (which are literally two of the safest possible picks) and Overwatch, which feels more like an exception. You'd think with how popular Fallen Order and literally any other major Nintendo franchise are we would have seen something by now, but I guess Lego is just a bit too cautious on that front. 

2 hours ago, Yperio_Bricks said:

I didn't ask for leaks, i was asking if somebody has an idea when Lego will release the official pictures. Lego's staggered reveal schedule is no fun :laugh_hard:

I didn't say you were asking for leaks. My point is that you know about these sets because of leaks. LEGO has not announced them yet, and when they do, you will see pictures at the same time... If the wait between learning about a set and seeing a set is too long for you, the simple solution is to stop looking at leaks, stop reading this thread on EB, etc.

LEGO will always stagger their set releases throughout the year. That's just a matter of keeping fresh product on store shelves, balancing their production pipeline, etc. There is always going to be something even newer coming, after the current new thing is revealed.

9 hours ago, jdubbs said:

LEGO will always stagger their set releases throughout the year. That's just a matter of keeping fresh product on store shelves, balancing their production pipeline, etc. There is always going to be something even newer coming, after the current new thing is revealed.

In fairness it does feel like the winter wave at least has become much more staggered than in the past. In the past it was usually January and May IIRC, now (unless I'm mistaken) it seems to be January, March, May and maybe June? I agree this makes more sense in terms of keeping the hype train rolling, but it feels odd when we still get 1HY and 2HY lists rather than staggered leaks as well.

On the video game front, I feel like the TV shows and films will always get priority over video games purely because they're more accessible. A year of D+ is pretty much the same price as most AAA titles these days, and in some cases is less of a time investment as well. In terms of sales volume, it probably makes more sense for TLG to hedge their bets on televised stuff before games, especially with the amount of content coming up.

That said, I think it's only a matter of time before we get High Republic sets given how coordinated the release schedule has been. It might be a year or three, but surely we'll get at least one.

6 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

In fairness it does feel like the winter wave at least has become much more staggered than in the past. In the past it was usually January and May IIRC, now (unless I'm mistaken) it seems to be January, March, May and maybe June? I agree this makes more sense in terms of keeping the hype train rolling, but it feels odd when we still get 1HY and 2HY lists rather than staggered leaks as well.

It was typically January and April, but yeah. I think some of this is down to COVID and the supply chain disruption, since this more staggered release schedule only just began last year. Spacing out their production and shipments could allow LEGO to be a bit more nimble when it comes to reacting to issues. Given the supply chain issues are expected to last another year, I'm guessing this release pattern will continue into 2023.

But looking back, there were often years when sets would not be released in all markets at the same time, so we saw an entire HP wave arriving a month or two earlier in the EU one year, then earlier in the US the next year. Similar things happened with City and SW waves, if memory serves... I think it's just proven hard to put out so much product all over the world on a strict quarterly basis... both for LEGO and for retailers, who have to deal with so much incoming product at once. Spreading them out probably makes it easier to hit all markets simultaneously, which I'd guess most folks would prefer... even if it means sets come in more frequent mini-waves.

The set lists are still broken down into 1H and 2H because that's how LEGO's catalogs are distributed, and retailers need to plan for the longer haul.

Something of a hypothetical so if this is not allowed, I’m sorry, and will stop, buuuut: if we got an AOTC Obi Wan this year, would they use the old hair for him, or do you think they would recolor the Ach-To Luke/Loki hair?

19 hours ago, Meadius said:

I remember they said something about the first game being too mature or something along those lines, and that was why we didn't see sets for it, but I feel like it's more just a matter of what they think will sell. If Fallen Order 2, Eclipse, or any other large-scale games are coming out during a period where there isn't a ton of new Star Wars media releasing then I think one set with the main characters is possible, but unfortunately I think Lego is just a lot more interested in doing stuff based on the movies and TV shows. It kind of feels like they have something of an aversion to doing video game sets for anything. The only video game themes we've ever gotten are Minecraft and Mario (which are literally two of the safest possible picks) and Overwatch, which feels more like an exception. You'd think with how popular Fallen Order and literally any other major Nintendo franchise are we would have seen something by now, but I guess Lego is just a bit too cautious on that front. 

Yeah, I remember they said that, and it felt like an absolute deflection to me. Sure, things may have changed since their force unleashed set, but Mando is much more violent than fallen order. I think lego doesn't really know how to deal with video games. Minecraft is a hit for them, but their mario theme is...odd. I think most people believe that the video game themes should just be standard lego sets based off the games as opposed to that weird mario stuff, and then overwatch apparently didn't do so well for them, and now they're being more cautious than they should. I think overwatch sets failed because (and I haven't played overwatch, so this is just from what a bit of googling of the game shows), they're really just about the characters fighting on the maps and aside from a couple mechs there aren't many actual set-based opportunities. The thing is, mario, Zelda, Metroid, Ultimate, etc all have plenty of iconic locations/vehicles that can be made as sets, and yet lego's too scared to do it. And I think this bleeds into star wars, where there are not only all these set opportunities, but the star wars branding ensures a share of the market that hasn't even played the game just because it's star wars.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

26 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Minecraft is a hit for them, but their mario theme is...odd. I think most people believe that the video game themes should just be standard lego sets based off the games as opposed to that weird mario stuff,

From what I can tell, only adults are disappointed with the Mario sets, and only those who were expecting a minifig-based line (never mind that very few of the characters would actually make sense as minifigs... at least without being made entirely of new molds). Kids seem to love the sets, and based on the volume of sets LEGO keeps pumping out, it's hard to see it as anything but a slam dunk for them.

Just now, BrickBob Studpants said:

Apparently, the March sets aren‘t in the catalogue :wall: I guess we‘ll see them at the end of January then

Noooooo! Thanks for stopping me waiting all night for them to appear though.

Edit: Whoops, wrong thread :blush:

I can kinda understand them not featuring Boba‘s Throne Room in the catalogue (even though there‘s nothing particularly spoilerific included by the sound of it), but why omit the Darktrooper set? :wacko:

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

27 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Upon closer inspection, it seems that Moody has a nougat torso instead of the dark tan one the CMF version had, which is more accurate I think :thumbup: If it has a Barty Crouch Jr face without the tongue sticking out, this might end up surpassing its precursor. Impressive *oh2*

You may have posted this in the wrong thread. 🙂

Edited by Classic_Spaceman

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Yeah, I remember they said that, and it felt like an absolute deflection to me. Sure, things may have changed since their force unleashed set, but Mando is much more violent than fallen order. I think lego doesn't really know how to deal with video games. Minecraft is a hit for them, but their mario theme is...odd. I think most people believe that the video game themes should just be standard lego sets based off the games as opposed to that weird mario stuff, and then overwatch apparently didn't do so well for them, and now they're being more cautious than they should. I think overwatch sets failed because (and I haven't played overwatch, so this is just from what a bit of googling of the game shows), they're really just about the characters fighting on the maps and aside from a couple mechs there aren't many actual set-based opportunities. The thing is, mario, Zelda, Metroid, Ultimate, etc all have plenty of iconic locations/vehicles that can be made as sets, and yet lego's too scared to do it. And I think this bleeds into star wars, where there are not only all these set opportunities, but the star wars branding ensures a share of the market that hasn't even played the game just because it's star wars.

I never understood Lego's reasoning for not making Fallen Order sets. The game isn't anymore violent than your standard SW movie and Lego has done several sets based off T-rated or equivalent games including Battlefront 1+2. If I had to guess I think it may be that the Battlefront and TOR based sets did not sell good enough so Lego believes video game based properties off SW won't do as well no matter how well the game itself sold (for reference, both Battlefront 2015 and Fallen Order were almost the top selling video games of their respective years). 

The thing with video game tie-ins is that, apart from the Battlefront battle packs, all the system scale sets for Force Unleashed and The Old Republic were released in that period between the prequel and Disney era, when Clone Wars was the only new media, so there were a lot more open slots to fill in each wave. I think it's less that TLG doesn't want to do video game material, and more that while Disney keeps pumping out new shows there are more than enough movie and TV related sets to produce, and video games won't be revisited until there is a need to fill a gap in an upcoming wave.

Just so I have things clear, the january wave is 5 sets right? Hoth AT-ST and 2 battle packs, clone battle pack, and micro razor crest, right?

I'm still waiting for the AT-AT to come back in stock and I'm thinking I'll get 2 snowtrooper packs to go with it. Maybe I'll get the hoth rebel pack and replace one of the heads with the classic lego smile face print in light flesh and the mariachi mustache to make the glorious mustache rebel in the 2022 style.

6 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Just so I have things clear, the january wave is 5 sets right? Hoth AT-ST and 2 battle packs, clone battle pack, and micro razor crest, right?

And the Ahsoka Brick Headz which might honestly be the first one I buy.

15 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I'm still waiting for the AT-AT to come back in stock and I'm thinking I'll get 2 snowtrooper packs to go with it. Maybe I'll get the hoth rebel pack and replace one of the heads with the classic lego smile face print in light flesh and the mariachi mustache to make the glorious mustache rebel in the 2022 style.

It's currently back in the US! Who knows how long...