MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

1 hour ago, Brickroll said:

Okay now I’m really confused. Did Landino actually say the stuff about AOTC or not? Maybe we should just try to ask him to verify.

He posted his ‘opinions’, so it isn’t necessarily a definite leak, especially since it is a long way from the release date. It could signify that he knows something and there is a good probability that since it is likely at AOTC set it is an ATTE. But put simply there isn’t any actual rumour yet.

$530 USD for an MBS set is a big price hike on previous models. I can't think of anything that would justify that price apart from a Death Star rerelease. I'm kind of hoping that either a) the digits were mixed around and it's $350 like the cantina price or b) it isn't a massive Endor set with both Ewok village and shield generator for $530. Personally I'd much rather see an Ewok village MBS priced and scaled similar to the cantina, with system scale shield generator and associated sets in the same wave, rather than a big, expensive all in one package.

2 hours ago, MaximillianRebo said:

I'm kind of hoping that either a) the digits were mixed around and it's $350 like the cantina price...

..and the Cloud City price. Cloud City was released in 2018, the Cantina in 2020, so an Endor MSB set in 2022 would so to say complete the OT and be consistent with this line of reasoning.

A "Geonosis" playset covering different locations from AotC and/or TCW series seems less appealing to the demand-side of the market to me. Thus, I wouldn't bet on it.

Edited by Brickadeer

3 hours ago, MaximillianRebo said:

$530 USD for an MBS set is a big price hike on previous models. I can't think of anything that would justify that price apart from a Death Star rerelease. I'm kind of hoping that either a) the digits were mixed around and it's $350 like the cantina price or b) it isn't a massive Endor set with both Ewok village and shield generator for $530. Personally I'd much rather see an Ewok village MBS priced and scaled similar to the cantina, with system scale shield generator and associated sets in the same wave, rather than a big, expensive all in one package.

This. My first question when hearing about this price and potential MBS association was: how in the hell do you make a MBS set that is worth over 500$? Death star I can see for this price tag (both 1 and 2 or a combo) but not much else. I also don't think lego is comfortable with making anything for this price that isn't OT yet - Gunship sales data is still being collected for more potential prequel UCS set analysis and lego makes their plans for about a year in advance, so when they decided on this set, the gunship either started selling not too long ago or was about to be put on shelves - so this 500$+ set probably isn't influenced by gunship in any way. In my mind, this crosses any prequel stuff off the list. 

Even then, say it's Endor MBS, what do you include for 530$? AT-ST, the bunker (sizeable at that one), threes, foliage, a ton of minifigs, maybe a village like MaximillianRebo suggested... I still don't see 530$ but I'm keeping an open mind.  

7 hours ago, necrochasm said:

I'll admit, I worded it poorly, but come on, it's a logical guess. The only other set I can see fitting the $530 set is yet another playset death star, which granted, sounds exactly like something lego would do. I don't think Jabba's palace is gonna come in the same year as the smaller Boba Fett Palace, and while the sail barge would be the only one I'd actually buy, I'm pretty sure it'd be a UCS set over an MBS set, and I don't think they'd just drop another huge UCS less than a year after the AT-AT. I just think an endor bunker and landing platform is a pretty logical guess to make

I got the AOTC set thing from Childish Landino on Instagram. Apparently the $140 set is an AOTC set, which realistically, judging by the price and the minifig pack, is probably an AT-TE. I doubt the gunship too, but I really have no idea what the $160 set will be. Disney+ I guess?

It wouldn’t surprise me if it was Slave 1 to be honest. 

4 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if it was Slave 1 to be honest. 

No way LEGO does another slave 1 only a year after the last one

40 minutes ago, distantnemesis said:

No way LEGO does another slave 1 only a year after the last one

Lego has done less logical things in the past, but I agree that it seems fairly unlikely. An Endor set makes the most sense to me, but even that doesn't seem like it could easily reach such a high price tag.

Edited by Meadius
Adjusted some awkward wording

The price does seem high for a MBS set. It would make sense for the next MBS set to be from ROTJ and come out around October based on the timing and theme of the previous 2. Part of me is hoping for a remake of the Death Star 2 set and that would fall under under UCS rather than MBS and would fit the large price tag. 

I feel annoyed that LEGO is taking a huge dump on prequel content. No Venator, no clone pilot, no original characters (Echo/Fives/Jesse/updated phase II Rex etc.), barely any Clone Wars S7/Bad Batch sets... As someone who as a kid grew up watching TCW and collected sets that were connected to the show and a general long time LEGO Star Wars fan, I'm disappointed that we can't get quality Clone sets, and it boggles the mind how so many are defending Lego on this when it is just the same repetitive original trilogy sets.

Oh well, maybe August will bring some good prequel stuff, most likely not.

19 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

Does anyone think the mbs could be a Jedi Temple? 

No. It's extremely unlikely we get another prequel UCS that soon. lego will almost certainly wait to see gunship sales before developing a UCS set, and they wouldn't be able to create a full MBS set in the less-than-a-year they'd have left before the release of the 2022 set.

1 hour ago, LemonFlavouredBleach said:

and it boggles the mind how so many are defending Lego on this when it is just the same repetitive original trilogy sets.

I don’t know about the other guys, but I do it because I’m a reactionary contrarian.

*insert RDJ I’m stuff here*

In all seriousness though, I think there might be a bit of that going on. At least twice a month we go through the whole discussion of “does Lego hate the prequels?” and I suppose that that does provoke reactions out of many of us. Many or all of us want more prequels/sequels sets, but it’s kind of that there’s a fair bit of toxicity (on both sides, mind you, never criticizing Lego is just bootlicking and toxic positivity is unhealthy too) that may alienate some who would be more willing to support the other groups.

Back on topic here, I think there’s a fair chance that the 530 set is a typo or something. Has there ever been any set that costs something like that? It’s just such a weird number, and although there’s not too much of a pattern to stick to—only 3 years since the first mbs set—it seems to me like a set around that price point would make more sense than a 530 dollar set would.

Edited by Brickroll

2 hours ago, Brickroll said:

Back on topic here, I think there’s a fair chance that the 530 set is a typo or something. Has there ever been any set that costs something like that? It’s just such a weird number, and although there’s not too much of a pattern to stick to—only 3 years since the first mbs set—it seems to me like a set around that price point would make more sense than a 530 dollar set would.

I think it’s a mistake, but that is assuming it’s a MBS, though. 

Its the $160 set 75323 which is confusing me. I wonder why it has this number; it doesn’t follow from the summer wave, price up.

3 hours ago, LemonFlavouredBleach said:

I feel annoyed that LEGO is taking a huge dump on prequel content. No Venator, no clone pilot, no original characters (Echo/Fives/Jesse/updated phase II Rex etc.), barely any Clone Wars S7/Bad Batch sets... As someone who as a kid grew up watching TCW and collected sets that were connected to the show and a general long time LEGO Star Wars fan, I'm disappointed that we can't get quality Clone sets, and it boggles the mind how so many are defending Lego on this when it is just the same repetitive original trilogy sets.

I don’t think this comment is unfair, and I actually largely agree. I will be a bit disillusioned if this summer we don’t see some prequel stuff. We do have a precedent, because last summer there were Clone Wars sets, and which the designers did a decent job with. 

Lego would make a heck of a lot of money if various Republic ships were released in a wave, I think everyone on this forum agrees with that. 

However, the last few years I’d argue it hasn’t been repetitive OT sets. In fact they have been good, needed remakes. Most ‘prequel’ fans won’t complain about this, and it’s why the winter wave has been viewed as decent. You have to remember, they didn’t even release many OT sets in the summer of 2021, and in 2020 this was the same too. It’s the winter which seems to favour OT currently, for whatever reason that might be. Fingers crossed for summer 2022. 

Edited by ArrowBricks

It's possible an Endor scene will fit into a $530 price but has anyone here discussed a MBS Jabbas sail barge/palace? Its original trilogy and would mean all three of those movies have an MBs with them.

39 minutes ago, Bc5 said:

It's possible an Endor scene will fit into a $530 price but has anyone here discussed a MBS Jabbas sail barge/palace? Its original trilogy and would mean all three of those movies have an MBs with them.

Too much controversy from the last Palace version. Moreover, it’s Boba Fett throne, with a brickbuilt Rancor rumoured for winter 2022 not the palace itself. Huttslayer Leia won’t be included either. Jabba’s Palace would make an excellent Mbs but I’ll delete my Eurobricks accounts if it’s this.

31 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Too much controversy from the last Palace version. Moreover, it’s Boba Fett throne, with a brickbuilt Rancor rumoured for winter 2022 not the palace itself. Huttslayer Leia won’t be included either. Jabba’s Palace would make an excellent Mbs but I’ll delete my Eurobricks accounts if it’s this.

Don't think LEGO cared about controversy at all. Set retired normally after year and a half like intended. One of their main complains was about Jabba as well and there is no way LEGO never makes Jabba again.
“It is not correct that the discontinuation of the product is related in any way to the [community’s] criticism,” came the official statement from the LEGO Group.

4 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

Don't think LEGO cared about controversy at all. Set retired normally after year and a half like intended. One of their main complains was about Jabba as well and there is no way LEGO never makes Jabba again.
“It is not correct that the discontinuation of the product is related in any way to the [community’s] criticism,” came the official statement from the LEGO Group.

Again, not sure Lego would openly admit they caved in to pressure. But a Desert Skiff was released 2017 (I think) and was not accompanied by any other Jabba set, and any other Jabba set has not been released since. It won’t happen. Accept it. 

Solid Brix Studios has his reviews of the Hoth Snowtrooper battlepack and Hoth ATST up on YouTube. He's also got the ATST next to the UCS ATAT at the end of that review.

Both look pretty good - I will definitely grab a Battlepack. While I like the snowy Chewie and Probe Droid in the ATST I probably won't grab it unless I decide to buy the UCS ATAT as it looks great next to that set and scales well.

15 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Again, not sure Lego would openly admit they caved in to pressure. But a Desert Skiff was released 2017 (I think) and was not accompanied by any other Jabba set, and any other Jabba set has not been released since. It won’t happen. Accept it. 

The fact that there hasn't been a Jabba's Palace set in X years is no different than the fact that there hasn't been a Venator, or Gunship, or B-Wing, or [pick any other set that hasn't been made in the last 6 years]. You're assigning causality here where there is none.

Edited by jdubbs

25 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

The fact that there hasn't been a Jabba's Palace set in X years is no different than the fact that there hasn't been a Venator, or Gunship, or B-Wing, or [pick any other set that hasn't been made in the last 6 years]. You're assigning causality here where there is none.

Well there was a skiff that came out 2017. No reason to release that set unless 1) it would be accompanied by other Jabba sets 2) they’ve accepted they can’t release other Jabba sets that actually have/need Jabba/Leia. That is my rationale, anyway. 

58 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

Hasbro also confirmed in a Q&A that they have not heard of any such Disney ban regarding Slave Leia. People really need to stop pushing these two narratives every time the topic of Jabba's Palace comes up.

21 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Well there was a skiff that came out 2017. No reason to release that set unless 1) it would be accompanied by other Jabba sets 2) they’ve accepted they can’t release other Jabba sets that actually have/need Jabba/Leia. That is my rationale, anyway. 

Or they just needed a vehicle to fill in a particular price point which is no different to the first time they released the Desert Skiff without Jabba back in 2000.

26 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

You're entitled to believe what you want, but you're making logical leaps here. Releasing a skiff without Jabba's Palace (or Barge) is no different than releasing a Snowspeeder without an AT-AT, or a Landspeeder without a Sandcrawler. LEGO has loads of slots each year to fill with $20-$30-$40 sets. They have 1 (maybe 2) a year that could accommodate Jabba's Palace or Barge, and those almost always go to support current media. Of course you're going to see the smaller sets recycled more often than the big ones.

And, Jabba himself is a big expensive element to add to any set... just like the Rancor is, or even a Wampa or Tauntaun. Those haven't show up in ages either. It's not because some obscure foreign office of cultural affairs issued a press release about them. 

2 minutes ago, wesker said:

Hasbro also confirmed in a Q&A that they have not heard of any such Disney ban regarding Slave Leia. People really need to stop pushing these two narratives every time the topic of Jabba's Palace comes up.

Seconded.

3 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

Well we didn't get MTT since 2014, Count Dooku since 2013 or super battle droid since 2015, doesn't mean they are cancelled and will never happen again.  It will happen. Accept it.

2 hours ago, wesker said:

Exactly. 

4 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

Jabba’s Palace would make an excellent Mbs but I’ll delete my Eurobricks accounts if it’s this.

Everyone’s gut is telling them endor, mine is telling me Jabba’s palace. Let’s see if I get to hold you to this :laugh_hard:

2 hours ago, wesker said:

There has also been Slave Leia merch since the Disney buyout, albeit not as common as it used to be. I saw an officially licensed metal statue of her in the bikini at a jewellery store a few months ago. 

My understanding is that this confusion stems from the fact that they've been trying to replace the term 'Slave Leia' in official media, with 'Huttslayer Leia' being the preferred name for that costume (although they haven't been completely consistent about it, and 'Slave Leia' still shows up in some merchandising). They aren't suppressing depictions of the costume itself, just calling it something new.

4 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

I'm sorry, but this argument is not supported by literally any pattern of data. Lego makes sets without accompanied sets from the same battle/scene all the time. Hell, the A-wing was released in that same with without any accompanying sets either. Does that mean they can't release sets based off the DS2 battle?

2 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

There has also been Slave Leia merch since the Disney buyout, albeit not as common as it used to be. I saw an officially licensed metal statue of her in the bikini at a jewellery store a few months ago. 

I didn't know that, that's good. No obstacle to a jabba's palace, then, so it's definately an option on the table. I'm still leaning towards endor, but I'd give it 50-30-20 odds (between endor, jabba's, and something else) with my complete lack of insider info.