MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

1 minute ago, Bobbtom said:

I'm surprised by the lukewarm reaction by some. When commander comes out it will be 9 years since he was released in an accessible set. Plus, the second hand price for clones is insane, so just refreshing the stock will be good for both new and old collectors

That's true for both sergeants and majors too, though, and they didn't come out in another set six months ago. The previous version of the commander was already cheaper than any other rank except the sergeant that came in the battle pack.

46 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

The army builders are annoyed because the commander and outpost are completely useless for that, so to get the shines they have to buy a lot of crap they don't want; 

Yes this! This is exactly why the 501st set and both the upcoming Imperial and Rebel Hoth trooper packs are so good - they contain all massable stuff and no redundant filler (well ok the quality of the BARC and AT-RT were debatable in the 501st set, but they're still massable vehicles).

The bold lines and incorrect armour shaping on the Clones still bugs me a lot as well - it suits P2 animation, not the films at all. Then again, I don't care about P1 in general so I wouldn't have bought it anyway.

7 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

That's true for both sergeants and majors too, though, and they didn't come out in another set six months ago. The previous version of the commander was already cheaper than any other rank except the sergeant that came in the battle pack.

You're right about that. I would liked it better if we had the red or blue officers.  I didn't manage to get either figure before the insane 2020 price hikes. But from my point of view at least, spending $350 just to get the commander basically meant that the figure is completely inaccessible for me.Optimal solution at this point would to have a normal system scale set with a different type of officer.

Edited by Bobbtom

18 hours ago, Kage Goomba said:

"Death by a floor full of Legos you can't see whilst bare foot."

He's the... grandson? great-grandson? He's got some relation to the founder, so he might be immune.

17 hours ago, jdubbs said:

LEGO usually cancels one or two SW sets each year for whatever reason. (There were 4-5 cancelled in 2020, which was uncommon.) When LEGO cancels a set, its set number dies, which is why you see skipped set numbers in Brickset, etc.

Those three 2018 sets were not cancelled; they were never real to begin with... 100% fake. The descriptions were full of very obvious wish-list "tells" (which clearly appealed to a lot of people...) The Snoke description was wrong about features, etc. in the eventual Snoke set, and the set numbers turned out to be different sets at different prices, which would never have happened if the sets had been cancelled or postponed. 

This was before I started looking at leaks, so I only heard about it after the fact, but IIRC the v-19 torrent supposedly came with like 5 different clone commanders or something, which is probably one of the "tells" since it's unrealistic.

So...not sure what happened there. Kind of bummed it's not p1 rex and cody, but I was subconsciously thinking it was too good to be true. I'm not army-building p1s or hoth troopers, but I might pick up one or two of the hoth one just to get all 9 or so of the blasters in it and part out the figs. The builds for the BPs are good, but I'm still upset that these are, given that they are generic army-builders with no special printing or molds, essentially battle packs with just 3 people. I don't collect brickheadz so I won't get it, but that's a BANGER Ahsoka, they really went all-out with that set. 

4 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

He's the... grandson? great-grandson? He's got some relation to the founder, so he might be immune.

Was more teasing of a better "I shall attack" meme/phrasing that would be appropriate in a Lego themed discussion. :D

I have the 2013 Minifig scale Gunship so will probably get a Clone Trooper pack to fill it up a bit more.

The Hoth rebel pack is ok. The troopers don't really resemble the Norwegian extras I remember from the movie very closely but heads are easy enough to swap out and the sheer amount of blasters included can help make up a bit for years of battlepack stud shooters.

7 hours ago, jdubbs said:

If you're referring to MandR again here, he is the not the only person to be kicked from LAN. And my understanding is that he was kicked for more than just posting leaks. 

You're comparing apples to oranges here. LAN members aren't posting YouTube videos with copyrighted images; the BrickShow did (at least three times, to get their channel taken down by YouTube). 

The whole point of LAN, aside from LEGO hopefully getting some free publicity, is to shut leakers up. They offer up free sets for "review" and give them press releases and product images a week early as an incentive, but the constraint is that they cannot post or repost leaked images... which a lot of current/former LAN members were doing rampantly before they joined LAN, making those images much more prominent than when they were just posted on an obscure website or insta account. It's basically velvet handcuffs... 

I'm pretty sure LEGO thinks of LAN as advertising and a marketing move to grow their presence online. What they fail to do is quell the number of leaks that come from this "network" and take advantage of what their influencers could offer (interviews, panels, etc.) When they kick people like Mandr for being critical of TLG and for reporting on leaks but you don't kick others for leaking you make it "ok" to leak without repercussions. I know Mandr is hated on here but unlike other LAN creators like Brickwiz and Solid Bricks he criticizes and critiques Lego's actions. Thus he seems like he's more genuine and is actually honest. I personally don't trust LAN member opinions cause most of them will end up getting the Mandr treatment if they give critical reviews and I think a lot of people feel the same way. 

I can see why LAN was started and can be good but when you have rampant leaks combined with tainted reviews(again that's my opinion but I think a lot of people would agree) I don't see how it's a good thing for Lego.

6 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

I'm honestly surprised at how well everyone is taking the fact that we aren't getting a Rex and Cody in the Clone pack.

I'm pretty disappointed, but I do like the pack for army building. At $15 it's like buying 3 CMFs, but you know what you're getting and you get some good side builds.

The Hoth one is a must buy if only for the shear amount of blasters!

I think its shows that most people didn't really care for rumor about p1 variants cause we/they wanted p2 versions of Rex and Cody instead. Also, I personally wanted army building from the accessory packs so I'm happy (even though commander isn't ideal its still cool).

1 hour ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

Those are stickers, or at least the slopes are. You can see the corner peeling up on the one on the weapon stand.

Are you sure? the black shading looks flush with the corners of the slope, but stickers are always much smaller than the part they're stuck to

6 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

I'm pretty sure LEGO thinks of LAN as advertising and a marketing move to grow their presence online.

That's certainly the publicly stated goal: getting the fansites to promote your product, and rewarding them for doing so (esp. if the rewards lead to more promotion). But there is definitely an ulterior motive at work, which I would say is at least as important to them... it gets those fansites under their control, at least when it comes to publicizing leaks.

8 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

What they fail to do is quell the number of leaks that come from this "network" and take advantage of what their influencers could offer (interviews, panels, etc.)

Yes, the images that get sent to the LAN members the week before a launch do get leaked through back channels, but that's probably a lot more palatable to LEGO than having all the sites in LAN actively promoting every blurry image that leaks in the months leading up to the launch. And those have been quelled pretty successfully versus a few years ago.

11 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

When they kick people like Mandr for being critical of TLG and for reporting on leaks but you don't kick others for leaking you make it "ok" to leak without repercussions.

I think it was more than just him being critical of LEGO. Jang has been critical of LEGO for years — rarely does a review go by where he is not calling them out on price, value, ppp, etc. — but LEGO still seems more than willing to welcome him into the fold (though last I checked he had still declined). I think LEGO just wants people who will be good ambassadors for the brand. (It's in the name, after all). And, whether you love MandR or hate him — and I don't see the point of going down that rabbit hole — it's hard to see his videos as good promotion for LEGO. Honest feedback is one thing, but relentless criticism is another... and as you point out, he is very polarizing... and polarizing isn't often a quality marketing types look for in brand ambassadors. 

6 hours ago, Graupensuppe said:

You only need 1 per 2304 troopers.

True you only need 1, but we are in the community where people care so little about accuracy and proper size they are massing 501st builds and designers are saying commanders double as pilots so having a commander lead a squad if you don't have the old battle pack sergeant is not as bad. There are many casualities in a war so maybe a squad and a commander is all that is left from the regiment. There are also ton of troops that don't have proper rankings like 501st so despite you trying to accurately army build you have to use Anakin or Captain Rex cause you have no alternatives if you are a LEGO purist. (not judging anyone that doesn't care about accuracy, enjoy what you want if you aren't hurting anyone)

43 minutes ago, ForgedInLego said:

Are you sure? the black shading looks flush with the corners of the slope, but stickers are always much smaller than the part they're stuck to

I mean, I haven't handled the set in person, so I guess it's impossible to be certain, but look at the top right corner of the one on the weapons rack, where the square corner of the sticker overlaps the rounded corner of the brick. And you can see on the bottom edge that it isn't on perfectly straight, either.

3 hours ago, Kage Goomba said:

Was more teasing of a better "I shall attack" meme/phrasing that would be appropriate in a Lego themed discussion. :D

Yeah I was continuing the joke, I don't actually think the Christainsan bloodline is immune to stepping on legos (or do I?)

2 hours ago, TeufelHund said:

I have the 2013 Minifig scale Gunship so will probably get a Clone Trooper pack to fill it up a bit more.

The Hoth rebel pack is ok. The troopers don't really resemble the Norwegian extras I remember from the movie very closely but heads are easy enough to swap out and the sheer amount of blasters included can help make up a bit for years of battlepack stud shooters.

Yeah, I wasn't gonna say anything because of the comments made to me after I brought it up with the snowtroopers, but the lack of accuracy is a bit annoying. I do like the reddish brown bearded head, definately throwing that on my rebel commando squad.

And yeah, I almost wonder if the designers used the blasters for cannon legs with that purpose in mind.

2 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

I think its shows that most people didn't really care for rumor about p1 variants cause we/they wanted p2 versions of Rex and Cody instead. Also, I personally wanted army building from the accessory packs so I'm happy (even though commander isn't ideal its still cool).

Or that people are detached enough from this, and don't 100% believe every leak, that the news that characters they wanted aren't actually appearing a set doesn't break them enough to make excessively angry comments online.

Edited by Mandalorianknight

18 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Yeah I was continuing the joke, I don't actually think the Christainsan bloodline is immune to stepping on legos (or do I?)

No one is really immune to stepping on legos. Albeit I've never had that issue before - aside from intentionally finding a missing piece - foot is a good way to do that hehe.

3 hours ago, jdubbs said:

I think it was more than just him being critical of LEGO. Jang has been critical of LEGO for years — rarely does a review go by where he is not calling them out on price, value, ppp, etc. — but LEGO still seems more than willing to welcome him into the fold (though last I checked he had still declined). I think LEGO just wants people who will be good ambassadors for the brand. (It's in the name, after all). And, whether you love MandR or hate him — and I don't see the point of going down that rabbit hole — it's hard to see his videos as good promotion for LEGO. Honest feedback is one thing, but relentless criticism is another... and as you point out, he is very polarizing... and polarizing isn't often a quality marketing types look for in brand ambassadors. 

just2good was another example of a LAN member that would regularly criticize stuff LEGO would do and, from my understanding, was perfectly accepting as a LAN member and chose to leave.  His reviews seem pretty fair and do often talk about negative stuff (prices, figures, bad print quality, stickers, etc), and he'd even make lists of controversial sets and things like that, which would regularly get a ton of views.

Since this rabbit hole is opened, I do not understand the MandR hate about "relentless criticism" if you actually watch his reviews. Jang is my favorite reviewer but MandR does a comparable job. Yes, he made some very immature random videos and is overly critical of the gunship box errors, but if you actually watch the review it is 95% praise for the set; he spends no more than a few minutes talking about the wrong box art or things like the "pilot." If I had to bet it was his random immature videos that got him kicked out of LAN and not his reviews, which are usually objective and reasonable

On the other hand you have some LAN members who go out of their way to never be critical of anything lego and act as if their audience has unlimited money to spend on lego sets.

Edited by Bobbtom

2 minutes ago, Bobbtom said:

Since this rabbit hole is opened, I do not understand the MandR hate about "relentless criticism" if you actually watch his reviews. Jang is my favorite reviewer but MandR does a comparable job. Yes, he made some very immature random videos and is overly critical of the gunship box errors, but if you actually watch the review it is 95% praise for the set; he spends no more than a few minutes talking about the wrong box art or things like the "pilot."

On the other hand you have some LAN members who go out of their way to never be critical of anything lego and act as if their audience has unlimited money to spend on lego sets.

I actually like some of MandR's vids, especially his comparisons, but looking through his vids, it looks like over half are just reactions to rumors. He has around 15 vids on the UCS gunship, most of which are just clickbaity nonsense. 

also completely agree with your statement about the other LAN members, it feels like they are trying to sell lego sets more than lego is

4 minutes ago, ForgedInLego said:

I actually like some of MandR's vids, especially his comparisons, but looking through his vids, it looks like over half are just reactions to rumors. He has around 15 vids on the UCS gunship, most of which are just clickbaity nonsense. 

also completely agree with your statement about the other LAN members, it feels like they are trying to sell lego sets more than lego is

I think the number of videos thing just depends on the youtuber. Jang puts out less videos than other lego youtubers but in exchange streams a lot on youtube/twitch. On the other hand, youtubers like ManR seem to rely only on youtube, hence the enormous amounts of videos on even the slightest rumor

2 hours ago, Kage Goomba said:

No one is really immune to stepping on legos. Albeit I've never had that issue before - aside from intentionally finding a missing piece - foot is a good way to do that hehe.

Legend has it that buying 10,000 sets and using every part to build a shrine to the lego brick will cause Clutch Powers to descend from the heavens and grant you lego-stepping immunity and the lego equivalent to Warren Buffet's Mcdonalds card.

31 minutes ago, Bobbtom said:

Since this rabbit hole is opened, I do not understand the MandR hate about "relentless criticism" if you actually watch his reviews. Jang is my favorite reviewer but MandR does a comparable job. Yes, he made some very immature random videos and is overly critical of the gunship box errors, but if you actually watch the review it is 95% praise for the set; he spends no more than a few minutes talking about the wrong box art or things like the "pilot." If I had to bet it was his random immature videos that got him kicked out of LAN and not his reviews, which are usually objective and reasonable

Those Immature videos are probably why he got kicked out. Lots of clickbait-y thumbnails and titles, and some pretty juvinile and crass stuff like that fake interview with a lego designer. IIRC he also has a habit of posting screenshots of video comments disagreeing with him on twitter and just being rude to them.

3 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Legend has it that buying 10,000 sets and using every part to build a shrine to the lego brick will cause Clutch Powers to descend from the heavens and grant you lego-stepping immunity and the lego equivalent to Warren Buffet's Mcdonalds card.

I don't need no immunity...but I'd love 10,000 sets :) - you can keep the Mcdonalds card.

57 minutes ago, Bobbtom said:

On the other hand, youtubers like ManR seem to rely only on youtube, hence the enormous amounts of videos on even the slightest rumor

Actually, MandR is on twitch too since 2018 mostly playing games cause he wants to expand his brand, there are occasional builds as well. He also has a vlog channel, gaming channel, star wars collectible channel etc. he is all over the place. Love him or hate him his work ethic is admirable.

And i agree with most of the comments on LAN reviewers, i don't trust a single LAN member except PotterMinifigPals and will rather wait for Jang to get the set a month later or blindly buy something than trust their overly positive reviews. Will watch their news or mocs or whatever, but almost never reviews.

1 minute ago, PreVizsla said:

And i agree with most of the comments on LAN reviewers, i don't trust a single LAN member except PotterMinifigPals and will rather wait for Jang to get the set a month later or blindly buy something than trust their overly positive reviews. Will watch their news or mocs or whatever, but almost never reviews.

I trust Sariel too, but he mostly covers Technic stuff. He did review the "ucs" r2d2 through LAN recently and it looked like he struggled to say anything positive lmao

Nothing big, but thanks to Stone Wars we know that both 75339 and 75342 are coming out in May (prices and puece counts still unknown).

One of them definitely has to be the Garbage Compactor diorama, wonder what the other one could be...