MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

2 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

The sales volume of a $350 set is probably a fraction of what a $15 set will sell... so, no, this doesn't make sense as a motivation for including it in the accessory pack. If they made enough of that mining to use in both the UCS Gunship and the clone accessory pack, then they did so deliberately, knowing upfront that he would be included in both. And as BrickBob said, this accessory pack was designed and put into production before the Gunship was even on shelves.

Ah, good point, so it would have been the other way around...the fig was included in the gunship because they already had plans for it in the pack.  That makes sense.   (I guess we don't know how far in advance of the fan vote those sets were planned out though...it was mentioned they had a Nebulon B model designed well before the vote).   The other thing people keep bringing up in regards to that discussion about including the same trooper is that the UCS GS has been readily available.
Regardless of sales history, this pack can't be good for future gunship sales

1 hour ago, MKJoshA said:

I'm honestly surprised at how well everyone is taking the fact that we aren't getting a Rex and Cody in the Clone pack.

I'm pretty disappointed, but I do like the pack for army building. At $15 it's like buying 3 CMFs, but you know what you're getting and you get some good side builds.

The Hoth one is a must buy if only for the shear amount of blasters!

Because it would be illogical to be mad at this set for this reason.

LEGO didn't promise us this, it was a rumour from a certain source. 

5 minutes ago, lego the hutt said:

Ah, good point, so it would have been the other way around...the fig was included in the gunship because they already had plans for it in the pack.  That makes sense.   (I guess we don't know how far in advance of the fan vote those sets were planned out though...it was mentioned they had a Nebulon B model designed well before the vote).   The other thing people keep bringing up in regards to that discussion about including the same trooper is that the UCS GS has been readily available.
Regardless of sales history, this pack can't be good for future gunship sales

The Gunship would have been designed and put into production before the accessory pack, given it came out 4+ months earlier and was a much more complex set in every other way. My guess is that the fig was designed/budgeted for the Gunship and then repurposed for the accessory pack as a way to keep the cost of the accessory pack down. If you look at the accessory packs for other lines (HP, etc.) they generally have just one new print in them, total... they are mostly just kit-bashed figs made from existing parts. But yes, the figure would have been planned for both sets before either launched, and they probably made enough of it in a single production run to use in both sets, without having to produce it twice.

And I agree the inclusion of the clone commander fig here will probably hurt sales of the UCS Gunship moving forward, at least a bit. 

6 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Because it would be illogical to be mad at this set for this reason.

LEGO didn't promise us this, it was a rumour from a certain source. 

I'm getting whiplash following people's reactions to this set... first they're happy it's a clone army-building set... then they're mad it's not... then they're happy they're getting Rex and Cody... then they're mad they're getting P1 Rex and Cody... then they're mad (or happy, take your pick) they're getting an army-building set again, and/or mad they're not getting Rex and Cody, and/or mad one of the figs isn't an army-building fig, and/or mad it's the same fig as the gunship.... it's impossible to keep up with the umbrage. 

Some further observations/theories: 

1. AOTC sets should be expected in the summer 2022/3 - both minifigure packs are situated within Star Wars battles currently being focused on by the designers - Hoth and Geonosis. Both now have a UCS and a minifigure pack attributed to it, whilst Hoth has further sets released (AT-AT, Snowtrooper Bp, and AT-ST, and with some more potentially on the way e.g., Echo Base, Snowspeeder - makes sense)

2. The double-identity of the Clone Commander has a longer history than we realise! In 2013, Lego released an AT-TE and a Clone Pilot. The Clone Commander served as the driver (the pilot to to speak) of the AT-TE- he was the only Clone in the set, after all. From a marketing perspective including the Commander in this set as exclusive, and the Pilot in the Gunship, also released in 2013, as exclusive makes sense. Hence, in a minifigure pack the Clone Commander does indeed serve as a Commander and Pilot. It is not really about making him more accessible. With an AT TE and Gunship on the way, an army of Clone Commanders can be used as pilots for these vehicles. Simply, Lego truly do view the Commander this way, hence the inclusion in the minifigure pack. 

3. Lego panicked, unable to develop a new mould/design for the Clone Pilot during the UCS Gunship development phase. Certainly, by observation, the complexity of the Clone Pilot from AOTC can be seen. Realising this early on, whilst knowing they were to release the Clone Commander in a minifigure pack a few months later, thus saving in production, it was agreed the Clone Commander would serve as a pilot. They did not have time to produce a Clone Pilot (similar to 2013, but using the new visor, torso, and leg designs of the shinies), and/or felt it was easier to not attempt to do so, simply because a Clone Commander would soon be in production. This point kind of contradicts point 2, however. For me, the decision to include the Commander in the UCS set as a pilot goes against all evidence of the Lego Star Wars designers; they have never been that inaccurate, after all they have produced AOTC, TCW's and Phase II Clone pilots before! 

1 hour ago, jdubbs said:

I'm getting whiplash following people's reactions to this set... first they're happy it's a clone army-building set... then they're mad it's not... then they're happy they're getting Rex and Cody... then they're mad they're getting P1 Rex and Cody... then they're mad (or happy, take your pick) they're getting an army-building set again, and/or mad they're not getting Rex and Cody, and/or mad one of the figs isn't an army-building fig, and/or mad it's the same fig as the gunship.... it's impossible to keep up with the umbrage. 

I think it shows how polarising Lego Star Wars is, and for this I do have some sympathy for the design team. Often, they can't really win. But this has tbf been the case for as long as I can remember. 

3 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

I'm honestly surprised at how well everyone is taking the fact that we aren't getting a Rex and Cody in the Clone pack.

Shhh, but people did not actually want Phase I versions, as I hypothesised/claimed the other day :wink::laugh::tongue:

Edited by ArrowBricks

1 hour ago, jdubbs said:

- Different people, different opinions. 

- Nuanced takes e.g. people that liked Cody & Rex but liked the AOTC 20th Anniversary tea leaves.

- News/update can change opinion e.g. a Commander instead of a 3rd Shiny or another rank.

- First reactions =/= final reaction. (That’s kinda why we discuss…)

Personally, while Cody & Rex would’ve been nice, I’m happier with this. Especially if it means more AOTC sets and/or P2 Cody & Rex in the near future. I would’ve preferred a non-Commander, though.

My main concern atm is being able to get the quantity I want. If there’s an order limit and it’s a TLG exclusive, that’ll cap army building.

Probably going to skip the Rebel pack. I prefer the 2016 versions, too, since the legs were better on both variants. I’ll grab an Ahsoka for my daughter, though.

Edited by Pedilego

The clone trooper battle pack shows the laziness and effort LEGO puts in PT sets.

Animated armor for EPII set... :sadnew:

Edited by Cyberfounder

While I’m a bit bummed that the Cody and Rex rumor was wrong (and a bit annoyed that some leakers are just going to sweep this under the carpet), that rumor was a bit too good to be true and was only around for like three days so I’m not too let down. The Clone Accessory Set still looks pretty good! I don’t know if I’m going to get 10 of them like I did with the 501st set but I’ll try to get a couple.

The Hoth Rebel pack looks pretty good as well and is further encouraging me to do a big Hoth display this year. I like the diverse face prints and the massable guns that could be used for a trench.

I do think Lego’s army building approach here is weird though: we’re getting our first official battle pack in two years with a $5 price increase, two Lego Store Exclusive Accessory Sets for the old Battle Pack price but with one less figure and also some other sets that are somewhat massable but aren’t necessarily ideal, like last year’s AAT, this year’s Trexler Marauder and next year’s Attack of the Dark Troopers. It’s a head scratcher but I think I’ll try to get six of all three of these new army builder sets.

Also, I love the new Ahsoka Brickhead. That might be my favorite Brickhead they’ve ever done. I’m excited to pick this up on January 1st.

4 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

I'm pretty disappointed, but I do like the pack for army building. At $15 it's like buying 3 CMFs, but you know what you're getting and you get some good side builds.

Tbf half the people who really wanted them were going to complain that they weren't P2 so its an all or nothing game with them. I really wish we got a Captain or Lieutenant instead of a Commander but I'll take any opportunity to continue building up my P1 Clone army. 

Whelp if other accessory battle packs are of any indication, this one will be chronically sold out for months. Whether it was going to include shinnies or rex/cody I was going to enjoy this set either way

2 hours ago, jdubbs said:

We get it you hate people and their opinions

Edited by Bobbtom

6 hours ago, Clone OPatra said:

They'll only be available from the certified stores and from LEGO.com in all likelihood, so no discount is going to happen.

Great. The certified store near me never has accessory packs and if these are anything like the 501st pack they’ll be perpetually out of stock online.  

These new figure packs look alright. I assume they'll be $20 here.

Another month, another new completely unnecessary hoth rebel trooper torso print. That's what, the fourth or fifth new print (including the concurrent variations for officers) in five or so years?

The head pieces are good though and the P Tower is nice. I am glad that they included better quality builds than most BPs.

The clone BP is nice, to be honest I am disappointed that there are no Rex or Cody figures, but since that was never promised by TLG I cannot blame them, and the figures here are alright.

The build isn't as good as the 2013 battle pack version but is nice.

4 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

I'm more surprised at how well everyone is taking the fact that we are getting animated clone bodies in a EPII set for the second time...:cry_sad:

The Hoth pack is definitely useful to go with the AT-AT and AT-ST, and I like the builds, although it seems like it would've been really easy to make the P-tower accurately sized; literally all they had to do was swap the 4x4 dish for a 6x6 one and it would be a stronger set. I have a hard time getting excited about the clones, though. I see a lot of people saying that it's an improvement over the 2018 Jedi and Clone Troopers BP, and that's true, but that was unquestionably one of the worst BPs LEGO's ever released, so clearing that bar isn't really very meaningful. The build is just an even smaller version of the same already-undersized command station from Clone Troopers vs Droidekas, and it would be largely useless even if I didn't already have the better one. I don't have any problem with making the commander available to people who don't have the Gunship, but since I do have the Gunship it doesn't do a whole lot for me, and while there's nothing wrong with shinies I would've far preferred something more interesting.

I think a lot of the grievances with the set are basically that LEGO's trying to please multiple audiences and disappointing all of them instead of committing to one and making a set that would really please half the population. The army builders are annoyed because the commander and outpost are completely useless for that, so to get the shines they have to buy a lot of crap they don't want; and the figure collectors are annoyed because there's nothing new here (the shinies may be technically new prints, but you'd have to put them right next to the old ones to tell). If it was just shinies and a speeder or something (like the Hoth pack is, essentially), the army builders would be delighted and everybody else would recognize that they were the intended audience; and if it was three new figures (not even necessarily highly desirable ones, but just named clones that hadn't previously been made, or a new Star Corps trooper, or whatever) then the collectors would be happy; but as it is it isn't clear who this is really for, which leaves most people vaguely annoyed.

10 minutes ago, Stuartn said:

Another month, another new completely unnecessary hoth rebel trooper torso print. That's what, the fourth or fifth new print (including the concurrent variations for officers) in five or so years?

That is accurate to to the movie, though. There's a lot of variation in the uniforms. As one would expect from a rebellion, of course.

Edited by Kdapt-Preacher

5 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Considering that a lot of people were somehow opposed to the idea it’s not that surprising. I’m more upset about the commander from the gunship turning up here. Of all the exclusive figures from UCS sets to turn up in a cheap set, it just had to be the commander. 

The redesigned Hoth Rebels look great! The new leg printing really makes a huge difference compared to the 2019 figure.

Really like those new printed slopes and tiles in the Clone Trooper pack. Hopefully we see more AOTC themed sets throughout the year.

19 minutes ago, Cyberfounder said:

I'm more surprised at how well everyone is taking the fact that we are getting animated clone bodies in a EPII set for the second time...:cry_sad:

Because we saw it in the UCS set and have got over it. It’s not ideal, I agree, but saves Lego from changing the torso’s from the Clone Wars sets in 2020 and the films. It’s lazy. I expect nothing less. The average folk wouldn’t notice, or care too much. 

3 minutes ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Considering that a lot of people were somehow opposed to the idea it’s not that surprising. I’m more upset about the commander from the gunship turning up here. Of all the exclusive figures from UCS sets to turn up in a cheap set, it just had to be the commander. 

Pilot ;) 

3 minutes ago, wesker said:

Really like those new printed slopes and tiles in the Clone Trooper pack. Hopefully we see more AOTC themed sets throughout the year.

Those are stickers, or at least the slopes are. You can see the corner peeling up on the one on the weapon stand.

26 minutes ago, Cyberfounder said:

It also appeared in Greivous starfighter too, so the same print is standardised across every clone

2 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

Some further observations/theories: 

1. AOTC sets should be expected in the summer 2022/3 - both minifigure packs are situated within Star Wars battles currently being focused on by the designers - Hoth and Geonosis. Both now have a UCS and a minifigure pack attributed to it, whilst Hoth has further sets released (AT-AT, Snowtrooper Bp, and AT-ST, and with some more potentially on the way e.g., Echo Base, Snowspeeder - makes sense)

This would also make sense because Geonosis probably has more potential sets than Hoth (Hoth has gotten 3 sets and pretty much the only stuff they haven't made for this wave are a Snowspeeder and Echo Base, which you can honestly combine into one set as they have in the past), so if they are planning a large AOTC wave, saving that for summer would give more space for sets.  Geonosis, just from a vehicle perspective, has an AT-TE, those tanks with the giant laser from LSW III (I forgot what they're called), Tank Droids, Spider Droids, Dooku's Solar Sailer, Geonosian Starfighter, Republic Gunship, a duel set with Dooku/Yoda + Anakin + Obi-Wan, and possibly a Genosian arena.  I'm obviously just speculating here, but in a hypothetical AOTC wave, those range from "impossible to skip over" to "very much feasible and could be done as a set."  

6 minutes ago, Kit Figsto said:

those tanks with the giant laser from LSW III (I forgot what they're called)

Without risking veering off topic, it's the SPHAT, self propelled heavy artillery transport. Probably the worst walker name they have come up with.

4 minutes ago, Stuartn said:

Without risking veering off topic, it's the SPHAT, self propelled heavy artillery transport. Probably the worst walker name they have come up with.

Correct, doubt it would ever be done considering it’s so challenging to recreate. 

@Kit Figsto - exactly my thoughts, yes. Fingers crossed. 

5 minutes ago, Stuartn said:

SPHA-T is actually short for Self-Propelled Heavy Artillery - Turbolaser. In the EU there was also a SPHA-I, which was the same chassis with an ion cannon.

Next year will be the 20th anniversary of AoTC, so they might do something for that, but they generally haven't bothered with individual movie anniversaries before in the past.

I'm surprised by the lukewarm reaction by some. When commander comes out it will be 9 years since he was released in an accessible set. I don't agree that UCS sets should have exclusive minifigures forever. They are not advertised as such, unlike SDCC exclusives. They are simply just another minifigure, but in an expensive set. Plus, the second hand price for clones is insane, so just refreshing the stock will be good for both new and old collectors

Edited by Bobbtom

3 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

SPHA-T is actually short for Self-Propelled Heavy Artillery - Turbolaser. In the EU there was also a SPHA-I, which was the same chassis with an ion cannon.

Next year will be the 20th anniversary of AoTC, so they might do something for that, but they generally haven't bothered with individual movie anniversaries before in the past.

I see, turbolaser makes more sense