MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Hm, not too fond of that one either, the proportions are too wonky (and the new studshooters throw everything off) :hmpf_bad: The packaging looks nice though. Interestingly, they dropped the ‘microfighters’ branding and the series number too

Personally, I think the new stud shooters look better than the old ones, but yeah they look really bulky on such a small ship

At least the box art is nice:laugh:

Apparently, Mando is new (which I can see from other pictures) even though I’m fairly sure the box art suggests otherwise… 

I guess they chose Tython as the box art cause the set is a TRAGEDY. I have very few microfighters and was actually looking forward to this one seeing all the incredible mocs, but nope, I am most definitely skipping this one.

53 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

Apparently, Mando is new (which I can see from other pictures) even though I’m fairly sure the box art suggests otherwise… 

He's not new, same old Mando.

16 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I think you're correct in that it doesn't really say anything either way. You could make the argument that lego is listening to fans more, but it's a bit of a reach to say that means P2 cody and rex are imminent. If anything I'd guess they show up in the next couple years in seperate sets, rex in a bad batch set or the y-wing and cody in a wheel bike chase or something.

Ah, I see. I would say x-wings are shown more love because they're more iconic (though I'm not sure what metric we're measuring this by, clones appear in sets more often than x-wings and I'd imagine the x-wings have more screen time in the films).

I think lucasfilm does have some input, like with the galaxy's edge set or sets for new media, but the point stands that it's them and the lego higher-ups, not the designers, that choose the sets. And yeah, they might not know all the specifics and facts, but you can't say they don't have a passion for SW (the whole thing of the cantina MBS being something this guy built by himself as a moc or something being a great example). The Yellow clone thing is dumb, yeah, but the box art mistake isn't the set designer's fault, as the set designers and figure/box artists are completely different people.

Yeah, I think X-wings both are made more because their iconic and deserve to be made more precisely because of that popularity. 

While I would argue that Lucasfilm has a say Lego "wears the pants" in set decisions cause in the past even though Lucasfilm has made requests for certain ships to be made Lego has overridden them and chosen what they prefer. The example that comes to mind is the Krennic Shuttle and Zeta Class Cargo Shuttle; Lucasfilm/Disney wanted the shuttle but Lego made the Krennic Shuttle instead (IMO it was the right choice)

Also as someone who owns the cantina, it's easily one of my T3 favorite sets so I love that designer and I don't mean to call out designers but rather posing the theory that they are designers first and fans second. Also, I hope I'm not coming off like a crybaby/nitpicker but I think on a $350 set there should be no errors on things as simple as box art and designer videos. Obviously, that's already past so it doesn't matter anymore but it's just one of those things that irked me.

However, the fact that we are getting Rex and Cody makes me think were shifting towards newer stuff and Lego is open to listening to fans. I criticize Lego a lot on this forum cause I think they should be held accountable but when Lego does new things and listens to their fans I have to give them credit as it points to more positives in the future. 

Also since we're getting p1 variants of Rex and Cody which only appeared in animation there's NO REASON NOT TO BRING BACK THE GHOST AND ITS CREW. TLG I know you got people on here reading our comments I'm on my knees right now begging for a new ghost please make it happen.

12 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I think his helmet's a bit different and the leg color is lighter brown but that could just be lighting. 

looks like 1:1 the same fig to me. When trouble on tattoine first came out the belt also looked like dark red. I mean would be cool to get printed light brown arms but why should Lego make the fig more inaccurate? They should rather put a face print :pir-laugh:

edit: the visor print looks a bit higher but also on other digital pictures it looked better. Seeing actual reviews of the SW advent calendar, it's the same weirdly low print.

Edited by Kim-Kwang-Seok

1 hour ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Couple of folks over on Instagram are suggesting it is, not sure either way. Different shade of Brown and visor has been altered apparently. 

3 hours ago, MSY-MSP said:

Mine is arriving today.  Are you saying that the shipping box is just the regular box that you would get if you bought the set from the store, and not the plain brown box that Lego normally uses for shipping.  If it comes in a box saying what it is, I am really worried as FedEx will leave it at my door and the world will know what is there.  And with my luck a porch pirate will take it.

Definitely didn't say what it was offhand. It is more that the old USC's seemed to have a box within a box protecting it, while this one just had 2 inserts on the side. Mine got crushed a bit on a corner but I planned on opening it so I'm just partially annoyed and not rage against the machine annoyed. Miss those older USC ones. Death Star I bought last year was perfect upon arrival. 

1 hour ago, ArrowBricks said:

Couple of folks over on Instagram are suggesting it is, not sure either way. Different shade of Brown and visor has been altered apparently. 

You can see in lifestyle images that it's the same minifig.

I have no idea why it looks reddish brown on some images, but it's still the same minifigure.

4 hours ago, ArrowBricks said:

I was gonna mention this, the boxart looks very nice. His visor is a bit higher up I think.

Might get this to achieve a GWP or something down the line, but since I already have a Beskar mando, not going to be a day 1 purchase. Nice for kids who missed out on ToT or the more expensive sets, I guess?

The ship is somewhat ugly (though I like the new stud shooters), I'll be honest I kind of like mine better overall. :grin:MRC1.jpg

19 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

The ship is somewhat ugly (though I like the new stud shooters), I'll be honest I kind of like mine better overall. :grin:

Your MOC is way better. Lego's version is probably the ugliest and most inaccurate microfighter so far. It looks more like a prototype than a finished product. I was hoping for an updated mando with a face print since he's already in so many sets but guess not... Note: The visor appears to be the same as the one from TOT 75299, so it isn't new. For some reason the summer 2021 mando releases had the weird lower visor.

Overall a disappointing reveal. The harry potter set reveal is way more exciting; an interesting set with new variants of characters

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I was gonna mention this, the boxart looks very nice. His visor is a bit higher up I think.

Might get this to achieve a GWP or something down the line, but since I already have a Beskar mando, not going to be a day 1 purchase. Nice for kids who missed out on ToT or the more expensive sets, I guess?

The ship is somewhat ugly (though I like the new stud shooters), I'll be honest I kind of like mine better overall. :grin:MRC1.jpg

Agree with @Bobbtom, excellent moc this. I don’t actually mind Lego’s version, but I don’t care about Microfighters really. 

Speaking of Microfighters, I recently stumbled upon a YouTube video by Hachiroku24 - Boga and Wheelbike Microfighter. I advise everyone to search this, wow this is the standard Lego should go for. We’d all buy them. 

@Mandalorianknight 3rd'ed; yours looks better.

The P1 Clone leaders remind me of that old Bedazzled movie where Brendon Fraizer is able to wish for anything he wants, but Elizabeth Hurley twists it. Rich? OK, you're a cartel leader! Cody & Rex? OK, they're Phase 1.

Strategically, it wouldn't be a bad way for TLG to max profits if they're planning on releasing P2s, too. Ride the hype to sell P1s, then release P2s for the double dip. Not unlike Trouble on Tatooine. Mediocre set. Great figs. Very hyped. Currently an easy pass now that there's other/better options for the figs. (Let's hope, anyways...) Plus, if/when they do put the more desirable P2 Cody and/or Rex figs in large/expensive set(s), they're able to say you're able to get both characters for $15 in a smaller set. (For anybody that remembers that UCS Gunship quote.)

My daughter wants Rex. She's a big Ahsoka fan. Wants her partner in crime. Specifically the version I have, that matches SoM. (Even she knows! Lol) But she's also four. Really can't give her a $100 figure. $15 for this set is awesome. I just hope she likes it. That's what's going to make-or-break it for me.

What's the deal with leaks, anyways? Anybody able to shed light into how that works? I've been 'watching' long enough to see that there's 'news' daily. Something. An official TLG announcement or, when that's not the case, a leak of some kind. Almost like it's a cottage industry for creating chatter.

They've really been milking these accessory packs, too. Whatever level that got drip fed / made the decision to release "3 P1s" but wait on the names... genius yet nefarious at the same time. I actually allowed myself to think AOTC 20th Anniversary sets were on the table and a MBS Arena was possible. (My friend, visiting from out of town, and not into Lego, was like, "wow, why would they not do that? That'd be awesome and would sell like crazy.")

10 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Hm, not too fond of that one either, the proportions are too wonky (and the new studshooters throw everything off) :hmpf_bad: The packaging looks nice though. Interestingly, they dropped the ‘microfighters’ branding and the series number too

I agree about it not being great. It is kinda weird that they dropped the series number, however it still has "microfighter" in the set name (although not anywhere else except the LSAH description).

1 hour ago, ArrowBricks said:

Agree with @Bobbtom, excellent moc this. I don’t actually mind Lego’s version, but I don’t care about Microfighters really. 

Speaking of Microfighters, I recently stumbled upon a YouTube video by Hachiroku24 - Boga and Wheelbike Microfighter. I advise everyone to search this, wow this is the standard Lego should go for. We’d all buy them. 

Thanks!

Hachiroku does great work. I forget if he was the one that did the purist Lizard bigfig, but I know he did the chibi gunship and some other cool mocs.

32 minutes ago, Pedilego said:

@Mandalorianknight 3rd'ed; yours looks better.

What's the deal with leaks, anyways? Anybody able to shed light into how that works? I've been 'watching' long enough to see that there's 'news' daily. Something. An official TLG announcement or, when that's not the case, a leak of some kind. Almost like it's a cottage industry for creating chatter.

Thanks!
I don't believe lego does this, but there's heavy suspicion that some companies factor in leaks or even leak things themselves to generate demand. Case in point: the No Way Home characters Sony hasn't confirmed but EVERYONE knows are going to be in the movie. A lot of people think the only reason they haven't confirmed them is because they already leaked, and this way they can ride the hype sales (it's a widespread enough leak that even a lot of people who don't care about spider-man have heard it at this point), while still technically not spoiling it.

Looks like that ahsoka brickhead is confirmed. The teaser doesn't show off much, but from what little I can see it looks good. (Also no idea why they're acting like that's a puzzle, how many SW characters are orange with white head markings?)

Edited by Mandalorianknight

35 minutes ago, Pedilego said:

What's the deal with leaks, anyways? Anybody able to shed light into how that works?

Wise leakers ascend to the mountain of knowledge and consult the Oracle of the Brick, for he the wise one who can see the future of the system of play, and impart his foresight of the next set release. . . that is all you need to know.

In seriousness, some is just detective work, for example, some set releases can be predicted as Lego will release instructions prematurely, like the recent Microfighter Razor Crest. Often set numbers can be obtained from this method or similarly. I think there are factory leaks, where staff will send out information they come across, and often sets that are sent out to the Lego Ambassador Network for review are leaked early.

And as @Mandalorianknight said, it is likely TLG aren't exactly oblivious to the leaking.

Edited by Stuartn

1 hour ago, Pedilego said:

Strategically, it wouldn't be a bad way for TLG to max profits if they're planning on releasing P2s, too. Ride the hype to sell P1s, then release P2s for the double dip. Not unlike Trouble on Tatooine. Mediocre set. Great figs. Very hyped. Currently an easy pass now that there's other/better options for the figs. (Let's hope, anyways...) Plus, if/when they do put the more desirable P2 Cody and/or Rex figs in large/expensive set(s), they're able to say you're able to get both characters for $15 in a smaller set. (For anybody that remembers that UCS Gunship quote.)

That makes a lot of sense. People will buy up P1 Rex and Cody in droves as it's the first time they've been seen in years. Even though many would prefer P2, there's no guarantee they'll appear anytime soon and P1 is better than none at all. If P2 releases in 6-12 months time (or further down the track), people who buy the accessory pack next month will still happily spring for another version. Flip that release order, with P2 dropping first, and P1 sales would be a fraction of what they could have been. There's been an argument that TLG is leaving money on the table by not releasing P2 variants now, but maybe they're playing a longer game. It's a bold strategy, let's see if it pays off for them.

22 minutes ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Sounds like the moment is nearly upon us. Ready to hear millions of voices suddenly cry out in terror when they don’t get exactly what they want

I don’t like the sound of this, eeeekkk.

Edit - ah, just seen this whispers on the good old Instagram. Figure pack announcement tomorrow. Could get messy…

Edited by ArrowBricks

9 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

I don’t like the sound of this, eeeekkk.

Edit - ah, just seen this whispers on the good old Instagram. Figure pack announcement tomorrow. Could get messy…

I feel like everyone is holding their collective breath

1 hour ago, Pedilego said:

What's the deal with leaks, anyways? Anybody able to shed light into how that works?

1. LEGO workers sell or just straight up give the information to leakers, some factory workers even stash the figures in their pants and then sell them on ebay or wherever (which is kinda fair considering how much they pay people in Mexico and China)
2. LAN members that got early information or review copies are sending pictures and descriptions to their friends that send it to their friends and it ends up going through 100s of people (super often nowadays)
3. Stores get early codes and code names to put into system, some even get the early catalogues/pictures and then their workers leak it
4. Predicting the set reveals by checking digital instructions site

All of these information ends up going to a handful of instagram leakers that trade that information for attention/followers, some of them are great people that help us decide which sets to get and how much money to save and some get this false sense of importance and start pushing their agendas or attacking other people. Sometimes it also ends up being a game of broken phone where leaker assumes stuff and releases it on all bells just for it to be a lie. They get a code for ideas set for $150 assume it's a Home Alone set and ruin Christmas for ton of people. Or get the information that 3 dark troopers are coming in a set and make up a story that it's a battle pack. Get the info that orange clone is in Grievous Starfighter, literally lie that it's Cody and get thousands of people so disappointed that they are screaming about it 2 years later. Oh he wasn't in the Grievous ship cause he is in a Gunship, oh he isn't in Gunship cause he is in the minifigure pack, oh he is not in a minifigure pack LEGO hates prequels and never gives us what we want...

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

Sounds like the moment is nearly upon us. Ready to hear millions of voices suddenly cry out in terror when they don’t get exactly what they want

This is where the fun begins

19 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

1. LEGO workers sell or just straight up give the information to leakers, some factory workers even stash the figures in their pants and then sell them on ebay or wherever (which is kinda fair considering how much they pay people in Mexico and China)

I don't believe anyone who works at LEGO actually sells information or images... mostly because I really doubt anyone would pay for it. Workers in China have been known to smuggle minifigs out of factories and then sell them in local stores or put them on the Chinese equivalent of eBay... but these have largely been rooted out by LEGO and/or the Chinese government. 

21 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

2. LAN members that got early information or review copies are sending pictures and descriptions to their friends that send it to their friends and it ends up going through 100s of people (super often nowadays)

Pretty much any image you see in the week before a set is officially revealed came from a LAN member. They typically get images 1 week in advance (a few get them earlier, for very large sets especially) and a few members in particular were known for widely distributing these images... at least, when they were still in LAN. 

28 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

3. Stores get early codes and code names to put into system, some even get the early catalogues/pictures and then their workers leak it
4. Predicting the set reveals by checking digital instructions site

Toy Fair was another source of information, before COVID. 

23 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

All of these information ends up going to a handful of instagram leakers that trade that information for attention/followers, some of them are great people that help us decide which sets to get and how much money to save and some get this false sense of importance and start pushing their agendas or attacking other people.

I would add YouTubers to your list of attention-seekers.

24 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

Sometimes it also ends up being a game of broken phone where leaker assumes stuff and releases it on all bells just for it to be a lie.

I would not conflate the game of telephone that goes on, with outright lies. Those are two separate things... there have been, for years now, people who get their jollies passing around fake set lists and watching people on EB, FB, Discord, etc. get more and more worked up by them. Usually, these are easy to spot... I won't go into all the "tells" because that just teaches these people how to create better fakes. But these tend to take on a life of their own... for instance: three sets we were supposedly getting a few years ago... Snoke's Throneroom, Resitance Shuttle, and the V-19 Torrent. This rumor was 100% made up (Snoke's Throneroom was correct of course, but an incredibly easy guess), but people would not let it go, mostly because they wanted it to be true (even today, someone will inevitably pop up insisting that it was true.) 

But separate and apart from that, there is a feedback loop that happens among the "leakers" where one person posts a rumor, someone else repeats it which gets interpreted as confirmation, and so on. Most often, when you see the same rumor appear multiple times simultaneously or in quick succession, that's just Insta Guy 1 repeating what Insta Guy 2 said (or they're both hearing the rumor from the same source), rather than two Insta Guys getting corroborating info from two separate sources. 

35 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

Or get the information that 3 dark troopers are coming in a set and make up a story that it's a battle pack.

You're being kind of cynical here. This is more a matter of semantics.... there are now three types of products that anyone can reasonably describe as a "battle pack"... the accessory packs, battle packs, and the $30 sets like the 501st. So, it turns out the Luke/Darktroopers set is more like the latter... that's not someone "making up a story"... it's someone using terms people are familiar with to describe an upcoming set. I'm not about to hold someone's feet to the fire because a battle pack turned out to be an accessory pack, or whatever. And I suggest you not either.

42 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

Get the info that orange clone is in Grievous Starfighter, literally lie that it's Cody and get thousands of people so disappointed that they are screaming about it 2 years later.

Again, kinda cynical. Fact is that a very blurry box shot leaked from a Toy Fair catalog, and people made an assumption that the blurry orange peanut at the bottom of the box was Cody (which was logical given he is in the scene the set was based on) when in fact it wasn't. Honest mistake... one that I'm fairly sure anyone here would have made as well... This isn't "lying," it's mistakenly identifying a figure. But yes, people are still screaming about it... 

45 minutes ago, PreVizsla said:

Oh he wasn't in the Grievous ship cause he is in a Gunship, oh he isn't in Gunship cause he is in the minifigure pack, oh he is not in a minifigure pack LEGO hates prequels and never gives us what we want...

This was mostly just people speculating... why that figure wasn't in a set he reasonably should have been, and trying to make sense of that omission by saying "maybe he's in this other upcoming set instead." To my knowledge no "leakers" actually stated this as fact, or even rumor... at least, none that I find remotely credible.

17 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

for instance: three sets we were supposedly getting a few years ago... Snoke's Throneroom, Resitance Shuttle, and the V-19 Torrent. This rumor was 100% made up (Snoke's Throneroom was correct of course, but an incredibly easy guess), but people would not let it go, mostly because they wanted it to be true (even today, someone will inevitably pop up insisting that it was true.) 

If I remember correctly, the guy had gotten a lot of stuff correct before and then just went completely silent forever after this turned out to be fake, and we never found out if he was fed false information, just had a string of correct guesses, or actually knew things and decided to make a BS List and leave.

2 hours ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

"oh god oh no, the hoth soldier has a dark tan jacket instead of light tan, I'm going to personally fistfight Niels B Christiansen."