MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

2 minutes ago, AyeMatey said:

Does the LEGO store generally limit how many army builders you can buy?

It's really inconsistent. Ive seen some stores limit sets to 2-3, but my local one doesn't care. I've seen people walk out with a bag full of the same set on release day

Edited by Bobbtom

7 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

Alright, simply out curiosity, I have to ask—has Lego ever released a new mold for something while keeping the older one on the market? I’m wondering now since people have been bringing up how that would work for Cody and Rex and if they would really do that.

You mean a new and old phase 2 mold with the troopers in the 501st and then Cody/Rex? I think to do them justice, both of those figures would need unique molds for their P2 helmets. Else, P1 and P2 at the same time, I don't think really matters. Unless I am not understanding your question? At any rate, who knows what LEGO will do...

18 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

Alright, simply out curiosity, I have to ask—has Lego ever released a new mold for something while keeping the older one on the market? I’m wondering now since people have been bringing up how that would work for Cody and Rex and if they would really do that.

Maybe with the X-Wing pilot helmet?

stormtroopers as well I think

EDIT: yes, the advent calendar with General Merrick and the Sandspeeder were both on shelves at the same time as the X-Wing with the new helmets. Also, the Imperial Landing Craft and Betrayal At Cloud City were still on shelves when the 20th Anniversary sets introduced the new Stromtrooper helmets 

Edited by Balrogofmorgoth

Really curious to see how these Rex and Cody figs turn out. I'd have preferred P2 versions but I figure I'll just take the same approach as I plan to with Boba if they don't update his helmet colour... Just take the helmets off. Then boom, P2 Rex and Cody :tongue:

Won't be perfect, but if the torso prints are good then (for me at least) it'll be more than acceptable. 

I missed the chance to get P1 Rex and Cody so when the APs come out I'll be happy either way. We're getting clones either way, aren't we?

2 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

Making the set $30 when the movement and demand were for a $15 BP is what makes it anti-consumer. Making the set double what it would have cost originally for the expressed purpose of taking advantage of that demand is both great marketing and bad for the consumer. 

Agreed, it was super anti-consumer and greedy. I would kinda understand if vehicles were accurate or we got more figures, but they just kept making builds larger and larger so they can make it double the price and you are basically forced to buy it cause there are no good alternatives if you want to build a phase 2 clone army from the movies. There are also in a much bigger box than a normal battle pack would be so stores were getting smaller amount of them and some people had to wait for months to get one.

3 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

501st was a genius marketing move. But I don't think you can call it anti-consumer. Consumers are buying it. I think if it was a truly anti-consumer move you would have to point to consumers not buying it.

I need to buy 3 x 501st sets for $90 to have a squad of 9 and i get 3 extra jet troopers for a different army project so even throwing the builds in the trash (what i have been doing) is cheaper than buying 9x 212th troopers for $15 each cheapest for $135 plus shipping from bricklink. That's why i am buying it and that's why lot of other people are buying it, it's not cause it's consumer friendly. If LEGO made a phase 2 Rex polybag with a stand and nothing else for $40 ofc people will go and buy it in record numbers, doesn't mean it's consumer friendly or that LEGO isn't taking advantage of us, it only means it's a cheaper way to get it than buying 1 used one for $140 of bricklink. (cheapest in USA without damage and with pauldron).

1 hour ago, Balrogofmorgoth said:

I disagree, I think the likelihood of seeing Phase II soon as well is pretty high

Again that's fair but we've never had two different versions of a named character from CW out at the same time so I'm not sure why everyone is saying it will happen. 

59 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I don't think lego designers are the ones choosing what sets are made. Might be wrong, but I think it's higher-ups at lego and Lucasfilm, not the designers themselves.

Lucasfilm doesn't make decisions on what sets Lego makes that Lego's higher-ups. I didn't mean to say they chose the sets but rather to reinforce the point that X-wings are shown more love than clones. Also, comments and mistakes from this year's gunship release lowkey make me think they genuinely don't care as much about any of the SW specifics and facts. I know their job is to design and not know SW but it'd be pretty cool if they didn't say stuff like Pilot=yellow clone and got the right logo on their boxes. 

13 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

Again that's fair but we've never had two different versions of a named character from CW out at the same time so I'm not sure why everyone is saying it will happen.

I agree with your overall point that there's no reason to think P2 Rex and Cody are any more imminent now than they were before, but this line specifically isn't correct. There were three different TCW versions of Anakin available in 2011 (the parka version from the Freeco Speeder, the standard TCW version from multiple sets, and the Season 4 version with the dark arms from the Nightsister Speeder), and there were two TCW Obi-Wans available in 2013 (the standard one from Pre Vizsla's Fighter and the Season 4 version from the BARC Speeder).

1 hour ago, kidtheboss611 said:

I think you're correct in that it doesn't really say anything either way. You could make the argument that lego is listening to fans more, but it's a bit of a reach to say that means P2 cody and rex are imminent. If anything I'd guess they show up in the next couple years in seperate sets, rex in a bad batch set or the y-wing and cody in a wheel bike chase or something.

1 hour ago, kidtheboss611 said:

Lucasfilm doesn't make decisions on what sets Lego makes that Lego's higher-ups. I didn't mean to say they chose the sets but rather to reinforce the point that X-wings are shown more love than clones. Also, comments and mistakes from this year's gunship release lowkey make me think they genuinely don't care as much about any of the SW specifics and facts. I know their job is to design and not know SW but it'd be pretty cool if they didn't say stuff like Pilot=yellow clone and got the right logo on their boxes. 

Ah, I see. I would say x-wings are shown more love because they're more iconic (though I'm not sure what metric we're measuring this by, clones appear in sets more often than x-wings and I'd imagine the x-wings have more screen time in the films).

I think lucasfilm does have some input, like with the galaxy's edge set or sets for new media, but the point stands that it's them and the lego higher-ups, not the designers, that choose the sets. And yeah, they might not know all the specifics and facts, but you can't say they don't have a passion for SW (the whole thing of the cantina MBS being something this guy built by himself as a moc or something being a great example). The Yellow clone thing is dumb, yeah, but the box art mistake isn't the set designer's fault, as the set designers and figure/box artists are completely different people.

2 hours ago, PreVizsla said:

throwing the builds in the trash (what i have been doing)

I hope the bin you’re throwing them into is the spare parts bin

MY AT-AT arrived in the mail today. Appears damaged, dropped on one corner. I think that extra box would have helped.  Surprised it didn't have it's own extra box, like most of the other large D2C's of recent years. I'm hoping that's not the case for upcoming sets in 2022. 

7 hours ago, Brickroll said:

Well... this doesn't exactly fit what you were looking for, but, with the iron man helmet, the old 2 piece one was replaced with a new 1 piece one, and then in 2021 they brought back the 2 piece one, so you could argue that the old one may have stayed in production in between the times it was out, and you could also argue that the 2 piece one was, in a way, the new mould whereas the 1 piece one stayed in production for the Wrecker figure in the BB shuttle. Dunno if that's what you meant, and also I may be incorrect about the iron man helmet thing as I don't follow Marvel stuff often.

Another situation that kinda fits what you are talking about is the old Vader helmet. When they made the 2 piece one, the old one was still used on a key chain for a while, I think. And also, when they brought out the 2019 box art with the white greebling, I think I remember spotting the old Vader helmet piece somewhere on that, although I haven't been able to find it again so I'm starting to doubt I saw it in the first place, however that's kinda irrelevant anyway because that piece wasn't physically "in production" when that box art was out, although I guess it would mean that they are at least acknowledging that the piece existed.

I am not sure, but I think the Death Star may have included the old stormtrooper helmet while the new on entered production, as I am not aware of a rerelease or anything of the like.

Even as microfighters go, this is not what you'd call a looker... Not a lot to get excited about, unless you somehow missed out on Mando thus far. He does come with a jetpack so I guess that's something?

Hm, not too fond of that one either, the proportions are too wonky (and the new studshooters throw everything off) :hmpf_bad: The packaging looks nice though. Interestingly, they dropped the ‘microfighters’ branding and the series number too

12 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

I hope the bin you’re throwing them into is the spare parts bin

Yeah really, I had a heart attack reading that they were being thrown in the trash

Huh, interesting... 

The Razorcrest Microfighter looks kinda cool, I think, but not exactly similar to the source material if you ask me... :wacko:
Like most Microfighters, I'll be skipping it :innocent2:

Regards,
Mitch

I was hoping they use some of that sweet new year budget to upgrade something: jet pack compatible cape, accurate jet pack, helmet or at least a face print. Well let's hope for next year :pir-grin:

The Razor Crest Microfighter looks mediocre but it’s cheap and I’m getting every Mandalorian set, really every Star Wars/Marvel Disney+ set at this point, so I’ll add it to my purchase on January 1st probably. The box art is nice at least: I love the orange border with the Tython background. I can see this being a seller with kids because of it being the cheapest way to get Mando. 

I’m kinda tired of being drip fed reveals though. Apparently the Ahsoka Brickheadz announcement is coming soon at least, which I’m super excited for, and hopefully we see these much discussed accessory sets soon as well.

Not related to today's reveal, but to Boba Fett's Throne Room. This is proof that they could make a good brickbuilt Rancor:

It'll be even more disappointing now if it sucks.

13 hours ago, Prometheus87 said:

MY AT-AT arrived in the mail today. Appears damaged, dropped on one corner. I think that extra box would have helped.  Surprised it didn't have it's own extra box, like most of the other large D2C's of recent years. I'm hoping that's not the case for upcoming sets in 2022. 

Mine is arriving today.  Are you saying that the shipping box is just the regular box that you would get if you bought the set from the store, and not the plain brown box that Lego normally uses for shipping.  If it comes in a box saying what it is, I am really worried as FedEx will leave it at my door and the world will know what is there.  And with my luck a porch pirate will take it.