MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

A surprise to be sure but a welcome one.

1 hour ago, BacktoBricks said:

Yes. I'm not going to bother delving into Price per piece or inflation etc to work out what it 'should' be, but just from a straight quick glance consumer standpoint, whilst it is still a considerable amount of money, staying under the £700 (just!) seems like a better bet. £749.99 gives that impression (at least in my mind) that your tipping closer to the £1000 mark as you're basically in that last quarter before that milestone.

Price per piece is always a bit misleading especially when it comes to a set of this size. There's a lot of large plates in this set, even though the Falcon has more pieces, there's not that many bigger than a 6x6 plate.

I'd like to see a weight comparison between the two sets.

17 minutes ago, SquirrelArmy said:

A surprise to be sure but a welcome one.

Price per piece is always a bit misleading especially when it comes to a set of this size. There's a lot of large plates in this set, even though the Falcon has more pieces, there's not that many bigger than a 6x6 plate.

I'd like to see a weight comparison between the two sets.

Yes exactly. It's a misleading stat sometimes. 

I get the feeling Lego thought they may have just pushed the UK price a bit too much. It still equates to more than the $ or € prices by all accounts.

Edited by BacktoBricks

4 minutes ago, BacktoBricks said:

Yes exactly. It's a misleading stat sometimes. 

I get the feeling Lego thought they may have just pushed the UK price a bit too much. It still equates to more than the $ or € prices by all accounts.

That's an unfortunate side effect of European economics, LEGO no longer manufacture parts in the UK as far as I'm aware. When everything has to be imported we end up footing the bill.

10 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

There‘s no limits to their numbers though, and I think it‘s been implied that the numbers represent a ranking of sorts. Also, a recent encyclopedia has revealed that both Third Sister and Third Brother exist, which heavily implies that there‘s a pair for each number, meaning that there could be at least 20 :classic:

So in the best-case scenario, we see a mixture of new and familiar Inquisitors in the show. The new ones for the sake of the story (so the duels are more exciting) and the old ones so we can fill some gaps in our collections. I know we‘ll never get all of them in minifig form, but at least the more prominent ones I hope 

There'll totally be inquisitors, (though I would say even with no number limit, once you get to the 19th brother and 23rd sister people might start getting tired of it), and as long as they're in the initial marketing they're a shoo-in for a set. My guess is we get a set based off the inquisitors' ship with at least the main inquisitor, Obi-Wan, and a couple non-spoiler side characters, probably releasing in either june or august, but my HOPE is for an 18+ set for Kenobi and Vader's Duel, as much as I know it won't be a set.

1 minute ago, Mandalorianknight said:

(though I would say even with no number limit, once you get to the 19th brother and 23rd sister people might start getting tired of it)

True, but there’s no need to go that far. We know that the Inquisitorius ceased to exist before ANH, and while there are A LOT of stories set between ROTS and ANH right now, they will stop focussing on that era long before we run out of numbers :tongue: All they need to do is stop killing them off so soon, or repurposing them carefully:shrug_oh_well: I mean quite a few of them die rather close to ANH, so they can still use them in stories set further back in time.

8 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

My guess is we get a set based off the inquisitors' ship with at least the main inquisitor, Obi-Wan, and a couple non-spoiler side characters […]

That was my first thought when I saw that concept art :thumbup: If they release just one set based on the show for now, this should be it. 

13 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Apparently, the mystery set is indeed a helmet, namely a Darktrooper one :thumbup: Sounds cool

Definitely an interesting choice. It seems a little bit riskier than any of the ones they've done so far in the sense that it's definitely the least iconic by a good amount, but it is also relevant so I guess that probably makes up for it. 

I don't like that choice tbh...

We still have no Kylo Ren, Grievous, Clone Trooper, FO Stormtrooper, or many more iconic helmets, yet we get a Dark Trooper helmet?

3 hours ago, The_Chosen_1 said:

No, the Razor Crest isn’t due for retirement yet.

I wonder how long they'll keep it around. You would think they'd want to keep making it for a while since it's very recognizable and from the most popular Star Wars story of the Disney era, but sometimes Lego makes weird decisions. I guess if they have a lot of other Mandalorian sets coming up they also might just not feel like they need it.

2 hours ago, Meadius said:

I wonder how long they'll keep it around. You would think they'd want to keep making it for a while since it's very recognizable and from the most popular Star Wars story of the Disney era, but sometimes Lego makes weird decisions. I guess if they have a lot of other Mandalorian sets coming up they also might just not feel like they need it.

Or if Mando gets a new ship in S3.

8 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

We still have no Kylo Ren, Grievous, Clone Trooper, FO Stormtrooper, or many more iconic helmets, yet we get a Dark Trooper helmet?

Maybe this opens the door for more helmets outside of the OT. I personally like the choice of a Darktrooper helmet. And I can understand that Lego is picking helmets besides the OT from an current, successful series.

6 minutes ago, TheScaryDoor said:

Or if Mando gets a new ship in S3.

Of course he does, him hitchhiking his way through the galaxy would be silly :tongue:

8 hours ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

I definitely agree in that we need helmets based on the PT and ST, hopefully starting next year :laugh: Still, the Darktrooper helmet makes sense as a companion to both the Mando helmet and the „battlepack“. Also, it‘s iconic enough in its own right I would say

I still can’t believe they took the decision to blow up the crest. It was such an iconic looking ship. I know it was part of a really impactful finale set-up but damn. I can’t see any follow up ship being as good

Another helmet announced and it’s OT adjacent character. And some still say LEGO doesn’t hate prequels! I mean we had helmets for 2 years and all characters used in series are OT! No Clone trooper or FO Stormtrooper or Droid head. All OT…

3 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

Another helmet announced and it’s OT adjacent character. And some still say LEGO doesn’t hate prequels! I mean we had helmets for 2 years and all characters used in series are OT! No Clone trooper or FO Stormtrooper or Droid head. All OT…

OT is the golden age of Star Wars. Prequels are great for the memes and younger generations. There's still too much disenchantment about the sequel era to commit to them. They will know which era sets sell the best and they produce the sets to suit the market.

4 hours ago, LDigital said:

I can’t see any follow up ship being as good

Unless he finds another one in season 3 :laugh:

On 11/19/2021 at 8:57 PM, Mandalorianknight said:

My guess is we get a set based off the inquisitors' ship with at least the main inquisitor, Obi-Wan, and a couple non-spoiler side characters

I very much hope so, that would be an awesome set!

5 hours ago, LDigital said:

I still can’t believe they took the decision to blow up the crest. It was such an iconic looking ship.

I was really shocked when the Razor Crest was destroyed. :oh3:

1 hour ago, SquirrelArmy said:

OT is the golden age of Star Wars. Prequels are great for the memes and younger generations. There's still too much disenchantment about the sequel era to commit to them. They will know which era sets sell the best and they produce the sets to suit the market.

Doesn't mean that only OT sells. Don't want to start another discussion war, there has already been enough threads on this forum on this topic. But to sum up PT has a whole new generation of young adults who grew up with CW and Prequels who have disposable income to buy Lego. And Lego seems oblivious to this untapped potential market. 

37 minutes ago, storskogen said:

Unless he finds another one in season 3

I'm sure Mando's new ship will be very cool indeed, hopefully a bit more long lasting too. :laugh:

7 hours ago, LDigital said:

I still can’t believe they took the decision to blow up the crest. It was such an iconic looking ship. I know it was part of a really impactful finale set-up but damn. I can’t see any follow up ship being as good

That's my "red wedding" in Star Wars :(

2 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

Doesn't mean that only OT sells. Don't want to start another discussion war, there has already been enough threads on this forum on this topic. But to sum up PT has a whole new generation of young adults who grew up with CW and Prequels who have disposable income to buy Lego. And Lego seems oblivious to this untapped potential market. 

Do Lego publish their sales figures for individual sets? They are the ones who know what sells and what doesn't.

Next year will be the 20th anniversary of Attack of the Clones which could prompt some interest in that era again. It's been over 40 years since the AT-AT first appeared on screen and we're only just getting a set that justifies it now.

Be patient young Padawan. Your time will come!

12 hours ago, Meadius said:

Considering the crest got nuked from orbit, it might not be around much longer as a set. I'm guessing his S3 vehicle replaces it.

10 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Of course he does, him hitchhiking his way through the galaxy would be silly :tongue:

Maybe he'll write a holonovel as he does so, a hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy if you will...

10 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

Lego doesn't hate prequels...they're a company, they make what sells.

2 hours ago, Max Rebo said:

That's my "red wedding" in Star Wars :(

I screamed "NOOOO!" when it happened, that's honestly the saddest moment in mando for me. (Sure, baby yoda getting captured is sad or whatever, but this was gut wrenching)

4 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Lego doesn't hate prequels...they're a company, they make what sells.

My hunch, but I really don't think a lot of prequel helmets would sell that well, anyway.  At least on the internet, the vast majority of people wanting more prequel sets are wanting minifigure scale stuff.  99% of the complaints I saw about the UCS Gunship had to do with the minifigures and/or the fact that people wanted it to be minifigure scale.

If you had the option to spend $50 on a helmet for a clone that just sits on your desk, or spend $55 for the AAT + a 501st Clones set, I would guess more people (myself included) would choose the latter (at this point both sets have been marked down to where that's about what they'd cost ).  

I'm in full agreement that the Dark Trooper is a weird choice, I don't deny that.  However, the target market for these display helmets is definitely mostly adults that grew up with the OT, many of whom have a much greater affinity to that trilogy than anything else.  

Also, it's very clear that they're not ignoring prequel fans for some nefarious reason.  They've put out several prequel/TCW sets in the past few waves of sets, including both a UCS model and several system scale items.  My point here isn't to say that "we've gotten enough stuff from the prequels", but rather that as a result, they're going to have a large amount of sales data from these sets and probably know now what sells and what doesn't.  So, either 

1) The world's largest toy company is intentionally losing money by ignoring their sales data in order to spite fans of the prequels

2) The world's largest toy company's sales data shows that certain prequel things sell better than others, and as a result, they're choosing to focus on those selling better

If I had to guess, the system scale stuff probably sold extremely well (based on how much demand there was and how hard it was to get some of these sets for the first month or so) and the Gunship probably has sold average-ish thus far.  

I mean, what prequel helmets are there really to make? They’re not going to do Jango Fett anytime soon with Boba and Mando already around. If they’re going to do Clones, I really feel like there’s only a few that would have wide appeal (i.e. a plain helmet or an iconic helmet like Cody or Rex). I could see them doing Grievous too maybe but that’s about it. 

Also, when do March sets tend to be revealed? I wonder if they’ll try to unveil those on one of the last Bring Home the Bounty days. 

Edited by The Stud