MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

7 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Of course I didn’t expect spoiler characters, but is something NEW really that much to ask for? Sets based on upcoming films and shows habe always been a source of new and interesting minifigs, until now. Sure, it’s a Mando spin-off, but that’s no excuse as the teaser has shown plenty of new, non-spoilerific characters :tongue: As a collector, how am I supposed to be excited for something I already have multiples of?

Ok, let's go through this fig-by-fig. Clearly fett and fennec have to be there. The guards seem to be boba's guards, and since they haven't appeared in nearly 10 years in sets, I'm not sure why that's such a bad inclusion. The two hunters are almost certainly new figs. What specifically did you want here?

Just now, Mandalorianknight said:

What specifically did you want here?

Either one guard instead of two, or more than 6 minifigs :tongue: If the other two minifigs end up being new and interesting, I’ll retract my complaints right away, but none of what we’ve learned so far sounds particularly encouraging. Or let me put it this way: a $100 set based on a new show with only a third of the minifigs not being repeats is not at all what I was imagining :grin: 

Just look at EVERY other first wave of sets that accompanied new shows. For TCW, we had Ahsoka, Rex, Rotta, Cody, Plo Koon, Ventress, and many more. With Rebels, we got the entire crew. The Resistance sets featured Kaz, Vonreg, Griff, and new versions of Poe and Leia. The first Mando set had Din, Cara, and two Klatooinian raiders, while the Bad Batch had the entire Squad represented in its first set. And all TBOBF gets for the start is two bounty hunters that MIGHT be new :hmpf: I don’t bring up the films because it’s even more extreme in those cases :tongue:

I know there’s another TBOBF set coming, but it’s still disappointing to see this little amount of new stuff even with a show coming out.

32 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Just look at EVERY other first wave of sets that accompanied new shows. For TCW, we had Ahsoka, Rex, Rotta, Cody, Plo Koon, Ventress, and many more. With Rebels, we got the entire crew. The Resistance sets featured Kaz, Vonreg, Griff, and new versions of Poe and Leia. The first Mando set had Din, Cara, and two Klatooinian raiders, while the Bad Batch had the entire Squad represented in its first set. And all TBOBF gets for the start is two bounty hunters that MIGHT be new :hmpf: I don’t bring up the films because it’s even more extreme in those cases :tongue:

I know there’s another TBOBF set coming, but it’s still disappointing to see this little amount of new stuff even with a show coming out.

Is this really LEGO's fault? The main stars (from what we know) are 2 repeat characters. The shows you brought up don't follow that. May be too quick to judge based on names that have really no descriptions and may not be accurate at all. Plus the usual avoiding spoilers...just trying to keep an open mind for me anyways.

Edited by McMurder_them_softly

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Either one guard instead of two, or more than 6 minifigs :tongue: If the other two minifigs end up being new and interesting, I’ll retract my complaints right away, but none of what we’ve learned so far sounds particularly encouraging. Or let me put it this way: a $100 set based on a new show with only a third of the minifigs not being repeats is not at all what I was imagining :grin: 

Nitpicking, but if memory serves Sabine did not come in the first wave. Might be wrong though. Otherwise though, I’d say you’re right, but we really don’t know what characters are going to show up.

Edited by Brickroll

1 hour ago, McMurder_them_softly said:

Is this really LEGO's fault? The main stars (from what we know) are 2 repeat characters.

Exactly. And there is still room for novelty if they give Fennec a hairpiece. The gamorrean guards count as new minifigs (they have a different look in the trailer). One of this bounty hunters may actually be the Ithorean from the trailer. Add the rumoured rancor and maybe a Bomar monk (does it count as a minifig?) to this and we have a good lineup.

1 hour ago, PRbrickbuilder said:

And there is still room for novelty if they give Fennec a hairpiece.

That only counts when it's either a new or recoloured hairpiece. If you can easily recreate it with pieces currently available, I don't consider it to be new :tongue: Watch them use the over-used ponytail piece from the 2008 Agents theme :head_back:

1 hour ago, PRbrickbuilder said:

The gamorrean guards count as new minifigs (they have a different look in the trailer).

Huh, haven't even noticed that they wear different armour *huh* It's so different in fact it may actually warrant a newly-moulded piece (which was probably the case anyway, considering it's been 9 years since the last Gamorrean minifig and the old mould must have been destroyed). Ok, I budge, I'll give them that one. But the bounty hunters better be new, and not leftovers from the 2017 battlepack :tongue:

Just randomly remembered a rumour I've heard a while back: could one of the bounty hunter minifigs be 

Black Krrsantan?

If so, I'll take back anything I've said :excited: I know there are other popular bounty hunters rumoured to appear, but we already have minifigs of those 

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

14 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

I fully expect the other bobf set to include the Ithorian gang leader though and I would LOVE it if we got a new mold that includes the translator but more than likely it'll be the exact same Ithorian head with the exact same print in the exact same color. If they could at least print the translator on the head piece, I would be fine with that. Can't express how happy I am that an Ithorian is going to be a main character in something though! I would love to see more Ithorians prominently featured in the future, they're so dang cool! I wo der if the other bobf set might be the "Hammerhead's" citadel/throne room? That would be fitting I think to have the "main base" for the protagonist and antagonist if you will.

I doubt we get a new mold for the Ithorian gang leader since they already have a hammerhead mold and it's decent. I also doubt we get any of the new characters from TBOBF in the palace or other BOBF set since we had to wait a couple of months to a year for new Mando characters back in 2020.  If we do get a character it will most certainly be a bounty hunter who shows up for an episode or two and nothing more. 

9 hours ago, T21Typhoon said:

To be fair, I can completely see where you’re coming from. Unfortunately I think that as a general rule of thumb, we’ve now learned not to get too excited when it comes to winter (actually, given the weird release schedule, let’s just say pre-summer) LSW lineups. Summer will be where the really new stuff will shine. That said, I think both TBoBF sets will pleasantly surprise us when we see them.

So, it seems a given that we’ll be getting sets for Kenobi, Andor, and potentially Bad Batch S2 next summer. If they reflect how strong this year’s summer wave was, then we’ve a lot to look forward to!

I'm not sure where you read that we'd be getting sets for those shows but I doubt we see all of them, probs just Kenobi. Lego isn't going to do one BB set the entire 1/2 half of 2022 (which is criminal) so I'd expect them to make the same mistakes with all the shows other than Kenobi cause even the dunces at TLG know the power of Space Jesus. I guarantee we see a summer wave of OT+Mando, 1BOBF, 1 Kenobi, and another overpriced black base OT set. 

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Ok, let's go through this fig-by-fig. Clearly fett and fennec have to be there. The guards seem to be boba's guards, and since they haven't appeared in nearly 10 years in sets, I'm not sure why that's such a bad inclusion. The two hunters are almost certainly new figs. What specifically did you want here?

I think people just want something exciting and entirely but I've learned from TLG and this forum that exciting new figs and unique sets are not something that we should expect or even ask for.:sarcasm:

Hm, now that I think about it, I wonder why the rumour just says “bounty hunters”. If they were recognisable characters, even the one I’ve mentioned in my previous post, the leaker surely would have named them, no? And if not, how can they be sure they actually are bounty hunters as opposed to mercenaries, assassins, gang members, Jabba’s former captains, or other random goons? :wacko:

Or maybe that’s what it actually says on the box, another Knights of Ren situation :grin: In that case, they’re probably just some randos, like that human gunman that is briefly seen in the teaser. Better than nothing I guess :shrug_oh_well:

6 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

I mean, the guards are usually seen in pairs or small groups, but my bigger point is: what character would you want to replace them? 

2 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

I think people just want something exciting and entirely but I've learned from TLG and this forum that exciting new figs and unique sets are not something that we should expect or even ask for.:sarcasm:

Yes but what character from the show (that they've said is in the show, lego doesn't tend to put spoiler characters in sets until months after the show releases) would be "exciting"? The only ones we've seen besides boba, fennec, and the guards are generic alien hunters/mob guys, and 2 of them are likely the 2 in the set.

Also seems like everyone is forgetting about the rancor.

47 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I mean, the guards are usually seen in pairs or small groups, but my bigger point is: what character would you want to replace them?

The characters seen in the trailer :classic: The Twi'lek for instance is played by Jennifer Beals, so I assume it's not just a bit part. 

50 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Also seems like everyone is forgetting about the rancor.

It's a side build, and thus not really relevant for the minifig discussion :shrug_oh_well: Might as well be a mech, because it's sure gonna look like one :laugh_hard:

It's been over 8 years since the last Gamorean guard was released, and they were only ever in 2 sets (newest version that is). I think it is more than appropriate to include a few of these guys. I'm just hoping we get some more figs down the line to fill in the ranks of shady star wars characters.

1 hour ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The characters seen in the trailer :classic: The Twi'lek for instance is played by Jennifer Beals, so I assume it's not just a bit part. 

It's a side build, and thus not really relevant for the minifig discussion :shrug_oh_well: Might as well be a mech, because it's sure gonna look like one :laugh_hard:

Again, those bounty hunters are likely ones based off characters from the trailer. The only ones that wouldn't fit under "bounty hunter" are really the twi'leks, and given that lego doesn't seem to want to do oola or slave leia anymore, we were never going to see more twi'lek dancers with...similar costumes. It's dumb that they won't make them, but it is something we've speculated on for almost a decade.

This new UCS AT-AT is beautiful and majestic and at that price point I could catch up on soooo many sets from my dark ages which is high priority so I think I’m doomed to gaze at this beast from a screen cause I don’t see how I’ll ever afford it but never say never ami right?

UCS Luke's Landspeeder still sounds like a joke to me, just can't believe it's actually going to happen. We witnessed Lego's obsession with this vehicle in recent years and after they had the courage not to put it in the MBS Mos Eisley they apparently decided to make this UCS Landspeeder. I have my doubts about it's future success... I think they should make something really astonishing out of this idea to make even die-hard OT fans buy it. What can it be? Not a motorised version for sure as it is a 200$ set (and you still can't really motorise a flying vehicle with simple tools) Some cool technics? To be honest a UCS speeder bike would be more exciting if we're limited to small vehicles from OT.

Edited by MaceWindu

5 hours ago, MaceWindu said:

UCS Luke's Landspeeder still sounds like a joke to me, just can't believe it's actually going to happen. We witnessed Lego's obsession with this vehicle in recent years and after they had the courage not to put it in the MBS Mos Eisley they apparently decided to make this UCS Landspeeder. I have my doubts about it's future success... I think they should make something really astonishing out of this idea to make even die-hard OT fans buy it. What can it be? Not a motorised version for sure as it is a 200$ set (and you still can't really motorise a flying vehicle with simple tools) Some cool technics? To be honest a UCS speeder bike would be more exciting if we're limited to small vehicles from OT.

I'd honestly forgotten about that until you just mentioned it. It's no skin off my back since I don't buy UCS sets but if I did I feel like I wouldn't be too happy about that choice. It's actually hilarious, if it had been leaked on April 1st I would have automatically assumed it was a joke. I have to wonder to, who actually wants this? And I mean that in a literal sense, surely Lego did some market research and figured that an UCS Landspeeder would sell. I'm not into UCS so maybe it's just me, but I don't really see the appeal.

1 hour ago, Meadius said:

I'd honestly forgotten about that until you just mentioned it. It's no skin off my back since I don't buy UCS sets but if I did I feel like I wouldn't be too happy about that choice. It's actually hilarious, if it had been leaked on April 1st I would have automatically assumed it was a joke. I have to wonder to, who actually wants this? And I mean that in a literal sense, surely Lego did some market research and figured that an UCS Landspeeder would sell. I'm not into UCS so maybe it's just me, but I don't really see the appeal.

I'm certainly intending to get it (unless they absolutely mess up the model, which seems unlikely), it's a pretty iconic vehicle that's in a number of famous scenes ("These aren't the droids you are looking for") and I would say it likely has more screen time than almost any other vehicle in the original Star Wars (the Falcon may beat it, definitely if you count interior scenes, but it's going to be pretty close for external shots I would think). Should work well at the large scale I would have thought.

Admittedly, I tend to buy pretty much all the UCS sets, only one I haven't bought over the last 8 or so years is the Gunship, as I'm not a huge fan of the design and I think the model looks fairly ugly due to the large open troop bay with all the anti-studs, would have preferred that to have been done differently (possibly the floor the other way up so the anti-studs were on the outside underneath), or even just having the version with closing doors.

56 minutes ago, Tavis75 said:

I would say it likely has more screen time than almost any other vehicle in the original Star Wars (the Falcon may beat it, definitely if you count interior scenes, but it's going to be pretty close for external shots I would think). Should work well at the large scale I would have thought.

I imagine X-wings and TIEs beat it for screen time as well, and Y-wings might be close (I assume you're talking about ANH only). That said I'm excited to see how it looks; the playscale models don't really get across how beat up it is, and since it's an open cockpit there's a chance for some really great detailing there.

It's basically the first thing analogous to a car that we see in Star Wars, so in that sense it does have some extra iconicity.

I think the Landspeeder is iconic enough to deserve a UCS set. Wouldn’t have been my first (or second, or third) choice, but at least it’s got enough screentime to justify it, as has been pointed out in the thread :classic: 

6 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

It's basically the first thing analogous to a car that we see in Star Wars, so in that sense it does have some extra iconicity.

Yes, it’s basically the SW equivalent to a Creator Expert car :laugh:

10 hours ago, Tavis75 said:

I'm certainly intending to get it (unless they absolutely mess up the model, which seems unlikely), it's a pretty iconic vehicle that's in a number of famous scenes ("These aren't the droids you are looking for") and I would say it likely has more screen time than almost any other vehicle in the original Star Wars (the Falcon may beat it, definitely if you count interior scenes, but it's going to be pretty close for external shots I would think). Should work well at the large scale I would have thought.

Admittedly, I tend to buy pretty much all the UCS sets, only one I haven't bought over the last 8 or so years is the Gunship, as I'm not a huge fan of the design and I think the model looks fairly ugly due to the large open troop bay with all the anti-studs, would have preferred that to have been done differently (possibly the floor the other way up so the anti-studs were on the outside underneath), or even just having the version with closing doors.

Funny enough Brickset did an article on potential OT UCS sets and the poll at the bottom had the Landspeeder at 10%, which is decent considering there were a bunch of choices. It doesn't really appeal to me, but like I said I'm not into UCS sets to begin with so I'm probably not their target audience. It is the most iconic OT ship they haven't done as an UCS set at this point, so I guess it makes sense.

On 11/10/2021 at 7:18 PM, kidtheboss611 said:

I’m not sure where you read that we'd be getting sets for those shows but I doubt we see all of them, probs just Kenobi. Lego isn't going to do one BB set the entire 1/2 half of 2022 (which is criminal) so I'd expect them to make the same mistakes with all the shows other than Kenobi cause even the dunces at TLG know the power of Space Jesus. I guarantee we see a summer wave of OT+Mando, 1BOBF, 1 Kenobi, and another overpriced black base OT set. 

Honestly, I feel your frustration. The Bad Batch was the perfect vehicle for Lego to reintroduce prequel ships and walkers and not seeing further sets for now really does suck. Saying that, I’m a little optimistic because this year’s summer wave featured a healthy balance of sets from new media. That, paired with the two TBoBF sets we’re getting next year tells me that Lego is at least, to some degree, not shying away from producing stuff based on new content the way they did before.

Today’s Disney+ Day was a massive disappointment, Lucasfilm really don’t know how to hype their own content. It was still cool getting that Kenobi Sizzle Reel with concept art that was shown to investors last year. If that concept art is already a year old, I feel confident we’ll get some decent vehicle / location based sets next summer.

Personal opinion but I hope Lego doesn’t assign any high summer price points to Mandalorian stuff next year - outside of some omissions like Kuiil, Cobb Vanth etc. I feel like we’ve gotten some decent coverage of the first two seasons by this point.

Edited by T21Typhoon

On 11/11/2021 at 9:33 AM, Archer said:

It's been over 8 years since the last Gamorean guard was released, and they were only ever in 2 sets (newest version that is). I think it is more than appropriate to include a few of these guys. I'm just hoping we get some more figs down the line to fill in the ranks of shady star wars characters.

I agree, I'm glad we're getting 2 of the likely new style guards, as having 1 new and 2 old wouldn't match, and to have 2 on either side of a door or something, they've gotta be matching. 

It's pretty fun to go back a couple of years and read discussion threads on future sets. I tried posting a screenshot of this post from CapnRex101 on Brickset from September 2019, but couldn't figure out how to get the picture size correct. Anyway, note his comments about the Gunship, the AT-AT and Luke's Landspeeder. Amazing that we got two of the three this year, and the third is on the way next spring. I have no idea what LEGO will do with the Landspeeder, but I'll likely pick it up as long as it isn't dreadful (not sure how that would happen, honestly):

"Luke's Landspeeder was referenced in several comments but the options displayed above were more popular. I could have provided more alternatives in the poll but wished to avoid including too many options.
With regard to comments about an AT-AT, I have also spoken with set designers who have suggested that may not be possible using the pieces which are currently available. Even so, the demand for that UCS model has to be acknowledged here and the introduction of new parts could enable LEGO to produce an official UCS AT-AT in the future.
There were some suggestions which I found surprising, the most notable being the LAAT/i Republic Gunship. I love that vehicle and past LEGO versions have been superb. However, I struggle to imagine what an Ultimate Collector Series rendition may offer to surpass other models, especially since the earlier models are minifigure-scale and minifigure interaction seems important for that kind of vehicle."

5 hours ago, T21Typhoon said:

Today’s Disney+ Day was a massive disappointment, Lucasfilm really don’t know how to hype their own content.

Full blown marketing campaigns since TFA day otherwise. I think the lack of news out of lucasfilm today is more indicative of the fact that they have nothing to show off from almost all of the projects they announced last year. Indiana Jones 5 was just delayed a year, Rogue Squadron delayed indefinitely, Rangers of the New Republic was shelved months ago, Andor and The Acolyte are apparently a mess behind the scenes too. Kenobi only just finished filming, they probably don’t have much footage ready yet so concept art is likely all they have to show. 

One thing I like the sound of with some of the sets next year is the plaques with quotes on. It just adds a really cool display element for me. I could just imagine a Mustafar one with 'I have the high ground'. Too dark? :laugh:

8 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

One thing I like the sound of with some of the sets next year is the plaques with quotes on. It just adds a really cool display element for me. I could just imagine a Mustafar one with 'I have the high ground'. Too dark? :laugh:

I mean they have made burnt Vader before, however if it was based on the scene where he is still burning, I'm not too sure, however I think it would be only just ok for them to do with the 18+ branding. Maybe not though.