MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

39 minutes ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

In this case at least there’s a specific reason for it: if they had backpacks they couldn’t sit in the seats in the interior.

The actual reason that the new Snowtroopers lack backpacks is that LEGO changed the neck bracket mould to make it slightly thicker, and in so doing, made it incompatible with the Snowtrooper helmets. 😕

3 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Now THAT'S an AT-AT! Wow, what an amazing looking set. I wonder if the extra snowtroopers are included because Lego listened to the fans after the Gunship.

I doubt it, I don't think enough time passed for them to change it on the spot like that, or that it was a big enough deal for them to do a rush job and get it out like that. Plus, most of the fans complaining that the gunship didn't have a ton of clones with it aren't the same people who'd be buying the AT-AT regardless of fig count.

This set looks incredible, I'm very happy with it. I had absolutely no intentions of getting it but...damn. Maybe if my death star sells. This is definately a contender for best UCS set, even the falcon didn't have an interior as good as this.

3 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

Now THAT'S an AT-AT! Wow, what an amazing looking set. I wonder if the extra snowtroopers are included because Lego listened to the fans after the Gunship.

I doubt it. The size of the AT-AT, lends itself to a bit of a hybrid. Display piece and play feature, kinda like the sandcrawler, and the falcon. The gunship (if it was smaller scale) would have had more for sure.

I'm not going to be buying this set (I can't justify $800 for one set, regardless of how cool it is), but it looks incredible.  I guess cloth kamas aren't a thing anymore, which is kind of unfortunate because the one Snowtrooper I have with the cloth kama looks awesome.  I know that it causes some issues in terms of being able to sit down, which is sort of a problem in this set with the space for troop carrying, so maybe they'll come back in the future?  

2 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

The actual reason that the new Snowtroopers lack backpacks is that LEGO changed the neck bracket mould to make it slightly thicker, and in so doing, made it incompatible with the Snowtrooper helmets. 😕

Interesting, this wouldn’t be the first time an update to a piece had unintended consequences. They slightly modified the round stud with hole piece and now it has no purchase on the HP flame piece when inverted ala Fluffy Encounter. Shame about the backpacks, but at least that’s a solid reason, and as many have said they would cause issues with sitting like the kamas did.

4 hours ago, Archer said:

Interesting, this wouldn’t be the first time an update to a piece had unintended consequences. They slightly modified the round stud with hole piece and now it has no purchase on the HP flame piece when inverted ala Fluffy Encounter.

What is the source for this? I ask, because though it could be the 1x1s, it could also be the result of LEGO having changed the material used to make transparent pieces (the new parts are less “sticky”, so the old mould with the new material could result in loose pieces). 😕

5 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

I'm not going to be buying this set (I can't justify $800 for one set, regardless of how cool it is), but it looks incredible.  I guess cloth kamas aren't a thing anymore, which is kind of unfortunate because the one Snowtrooper I have with the cloth kama looks awesome.  I know that it causes some issues in terms of being able to sit down, which is sort of a problem in this set with the space for troop carrying, so maybe they'll come back in the future?  

I hope not, in 2020 we still got a kama for the 212th Airborne trooper. It may just depend on whether they want the figure to sit down or not

8 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

What did you expect? It was obvious from day 1 that this one wouldn‘t include anything exciting in terms of minifigs :tongue: 

8 hours ago, ginja said:

I don't really know what else they could have done though. There isn't anyone else in the scene.... 

8 hours ago, Archer said:

Also Luke is wearing what used to represent only the X-Wing jumpsuits but what was I expecting, coldweather jumpsuits are gone since 2018. 

Whilst this is an incredible model, the figures are part of it and I don't think they deserve to be left unscrutinised just because it's a UCS set. They are part of the set you are paying for. That being said, I don't expect lots of figures from a UCS set and Lego has put a decent amount in this one. The selection is also very appropriate.

My issue here is the quality and not the quantity of figures. UCS sets are marketed as a premium product and the figures included, whilst limited, have normally followed this ethos; extra detailed printing, arm printing, a different detailed face print (breathing mask Han/Leia) etc. For some this is annoying because it makes the figures exclusive and expensive on the secondary market, and as much as I love these quality figures I absolutely get that argument and I'm glad there are no super exclusive figures in this set; I don't know if Lego even considered this, but I think it's a smart choice.

But in terms of quality, the fact that, as @Archer points out, Luke is still wearing the black hands annoys me. It's just not accurate and the fact that it wouldn't have been found in a playscale set, let alone a UCS set, a few years ago just shows that Lego is becoming lazy and I dare say complacent when it comes to the figures. Let's be clear, I'm not saying Luke's jumpsuit print needed to be more detailed, or the figures should have arm printing, just that the torso should come with white not black hands. Some might say you can swap them yourself, but you shouldn't have to risk making your figure's hands loose nor spend out more when you've paid this much. I haven't seen one image where Luke's gloves could pass for black so when this is meant as a display model it looks blatantly wrong.

When you know Lego can do better it hurts to see them what I can only assume is cutting corners due to cost. So that's what I would have expected in terms of simple accuracy, although again following @Archer's thinking I didn't really expect it considering the line Lego's taken in the past couple of years.

So that's my take on the figures because I don't think it should be a no go zone. A small disappointing detail on what is otherwise an incredible set (if it stays standing :laugh:). 

I understand minor gripes with the figures, but I do wonder if these gripes would exist at all had we not had the playscale AT-AT last year, since the selection is almost identical. In that sense I still can't see the logic behind releasing this so close to the smaller one, although I guess that will be EOL before too long?

Stonewars have finally compiled their 2022 set list: https://www.stonewars.de/news/lego-star-wars-2022-q1-2022/

The only new bit of information I could make out (at least new to me) is the amount of minifigs in Boba‘s palace, which is allegedly 6. Sounds about right :shrug_oh_well: My guess is Boba, Fennec, a Gamorrean guard, and 3 members of Jabba‘s former entourage (or the Ithorian, who appears to be a rival)

53 minutes ago, Zap Rowsdower said:

Stonewars lists 75329 as a Trench run diorama. I was under the impression that was the Trash Compactor diorama.

Still no info on 75323 ☹️

It is the trench run diorama.

15 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

This set looks incredible, I'm very happy with it. I had absolutely no intentions of getting it but...damn. Maybe if my death star sells. This is definately a contender for best UCS set, even the falcon didn't have an interior as good as this.

I think it might actually be the best one, but I’m waiting to see how stable it is. The interior and the moving legs are absolutely insane. I also love how it opens the door to full interiors on UCS sets too, considering that besides the small areas on the Falcon, none of them have had a proper interior. 

I said it before and I’ll say it again, it’s like an unrealistic wishlist for a UCS AT-AT, except it’s real

1 hour ago, Zap Rowsdower said:

Stonewars lists 75329 as a Trench run diorama. I was under the impression that was the Trash Compactor diorama.

That was the initial rumour, which has been corrected a few weeks ago :wink:

1 hour ago, Zap Rowsdower said:

Still no info on 75323 ☹️

Don‘t be surprised if it doesn‘t end up happening. Wouldn‘t be the first time, looking at the last three waves…

10 hours ago, BacktoBricks said:

Whilst this is an incredible model, the figures are part of it and I don't think they deserve to be left unscrutinised just because it's a UCS set. They are part of the set you are paying for. That being said, I don't expect lots of figures from a UCS set and Lego has put a decent amount in this one. The selection is also very appropriate.

My issue here is the quality and not the quantity of figures. UCS sets are marketed as a premium product and the figures included, whilst limited, have normally followed this ethos; extra detailed printing, arm printing, a different detailed face print (breathing mask Han/Leia) etc. For some this is annoying because it makes the figures exclusive and expensive on the secondary market, and as much as I love these quality figures I absolutely get that argument and I'm glad there are no super exclusive figures in this set; I don't know if Lego even considered this, but I think it's a smart choice.

But in terms of quality, the fact that, as @Archer points out, Luke is still wearing the black hands annoys me. It's just not accurate and the fact that it wouldn't have been found in a playscale set, let alone a UCS set, a few years ago just shows that Lego is becoming lazy and I dare say complacent when it comes to the figures. Let's be clear, I'm not saying Luke's jumpsuit print needed to be more detailed, or the figures should have arm printing, just that the torso should come with white not black hands. Some might say you can swap them yourself, but you shouldn't have to risk making your figure's hands loose nor spend out more when you've paid this much. I haven't seen one image where Luke's gloves could pass for black so when this is meant as a display model it looks blatantly wrong.

When you know Lego can do better it hurts to see them what I can only assume is cutting corners due to cost. So that's what I would have expected in terms of simple accuracy, although again following @Archer's thinking I didn't really expect it considering the line Lego's taken in the past couple of years.

So that's my take on the figures because I don't think it should be a no go zone. A small disappointing detail on what is otherwise an incredible set (if it stays standing :laugh:). 

While I agree that there should be a bit more quality in UCS figures, even if they are a bonus, it's pretty clear Lego can't decide what their stance should be. Earlier this year they said they were a bonus and no cool/sought after fig should be locked behind a paywall, meaning UCS sets will include fewer figures and they wouldn't be sought after. However, in the AT-AT they've included 9 figs only two of which are "new." I don't think there's a need to include any more than two figs, AT-AT Driver and Veers, cause for the people who want this product an extra 5 snowies and Luke won't make a difference, and according to their statements following the Gunship debacle they are a bonus to the model.

Now I try to buy every UCS set I can get my hands on at release cause I really enjoy their multi-day building process so I didn't purchase to many 2021 sets as I was planning on getting this one and I couldn't be happier with the model. The interior is really fantastic but what I like more are the (hopefully) posable legs and detail on the head. I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be one of the best UCS sets ever. 

17 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

While I agree that there should be a bit more quality in UCS figures, even if they are a bonus, it's pretty clear Lego can't decide what their stance should be. Earlier this year they said they were a bonus and no cool/sought after fig should be locked behind a paywall, meaning UCS sets will include fewer figures and they wouldn't be sought after. However, in the AT-AT they've included 9 figs only two of which are "new." I don't think there's a need to include any more than two figs, AT-AT Driver and Veers, cause for the people who want this product an extra 5 snowies and Luke won't make a difference, and according to their statements following the Gunship debacle they are a bonus to the model.

TLG said what they said, but as maaaaaaaaany people here have reiterated over and over, there is solid evidence that a UCS set made at minifig scale will have more figs for that reason. While the larger than minifig scale sets tend toward 1-2 related figs who don't "fit" into the actual set. I will eat my Finch Dallow mini-figure if a UCS AT-TE at minifig scale wouldn't have figs in numbers comparable or greater than this AT-AT, it was designed to accommodate the figs, they will include a few.

22 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

but what I like more are the (hopefully) posable legs and detail on the head.

I’m pretty sure they’re posable. It comes with a little tool thing that seems to move the legs around. The guns also have the firing motion to them too

I'm really liking the UCS AT-AT the more I look at it. It's a must buy for me as the vehicle is one of my top 5 SW vehicles although I'm probably not getting it day 1. I'll probably wait for the back-order frenzy to die down a bit 

For anyone intending to get this set day 1 via lego.com, may the force be with you :vader: You'll probably need it, at least judging by the Titanic launch 

4 minutes ago, Archer said:

TLG said what they said, but as maaaaaaaaany people here have reiterated over and over, there is solid evidence that a UCS set made at minifig scale will have more figs for that reason. While the larger than minifig scale sets tend toward 1-2 related figs who don't "fit" into the actual set. I will eat my Finch Dallow mini-figure if a UCS AT-TE at minifig scale wouldn't have figs in numbers comparable or greater than this AT-AT, it was designed to accommodate the figs, they will include a few.

that, and I’m almost certain the lacklustre gunship figures were because of a shorter production time. An accurate clone pilot or P2 Cody need a new head mold, and they only had a year to design the gunship. I’m sure we would’ve had clone pilots if it had another year of development 

Speaking of figures, a picture of the Hoth scout trooper (or whatever the correct name is) is out, and it's a really good quality one as well. I wasn't sure what to expect but it does look nice, it'll make a nice complement to the regular scout trooper. Hopefully this means more leaks are not far away...

1 hour ago, necrochasm said:

that, and I’m almost certain the lacklustre gunship figures were because of a shorter production time. An accurate clone pilot or P2 Cody need a new head mold, and they only had a year to design the gunship. I’m sure we would’ve had clone pilots if it had another year of development 

I just get tired of reading stuff like this. Surely Lego knew this prior to the vote, considering the Pilot is the most obvious choice. 

In other news, wholly moley the UCS AT-AT is amazing!! Shame I cannot afford it. Would be a masterpiece and make me want to get loads of the new Snowtrooper Battle Pack in 2022. 

21 minutes ago, ArrowBricks said:

In other news, wholly moley the UCS AT-AT is amazing!! Shame I cannot afford it. Would be a masterpiece and make me want to get loads of the new Snowtrooper Battle Pack in 2022. 

It looks even better when you see it with the panels on, in full, with the legs. You really get a feel for just how big and awesome the thing is. 

Also I hope the interior becomes standard in future minifig scale UCS sets. Imagine a Slave I remake with a full interior, or an imperial shuttle, or an AT-TE. Endless possibilities there

Edited by necrochasm

2 hours ago, necrochasm said:

I think it might actually be the best one, but I’m waiting to see how stable it is. The interior and the moving legs are absolutely insane. I also love how it opens the door to full interiors on UCS sets too, considering that besides the small areas on the Falcon, none of them have had a proper interior. 

I said it before and I’ll say it again, it’s like an unrealistic wishlist for a UCS AT-AT, except it’s real

Yeah, this is about as premium as a star wars lego set can be. Unfortunately for my wallet, the price matches that.

1 hour ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Speaking of figures, a picture of the Hoth scout trooper (or whatever the correct name is) is out, and it's a really good quality one as well. I wasn't sure what to expect but it does look nice, it'll make a nice complement to the regular scout trooper. Hopefully this means more leaks are not far away...

It looks fine. Nothing special, but it doesn't need to be, it's a generic trooper.

2 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

Is the gunship a "debacle" now? I thought it was a rather well-designed set, and having mixed up packaging or figures not everyone wanted wouldn't make a huge impact on it since they aren't the point of the set.

There are two major reasons I can see that the gunship didn't have as big a figure count as the AT-AT:

1. The AT-AT is minifig scale. The gunship is larger than figure scale. Figure scale sets, especially ones with interiors meant for figures, tend to have more minifigs than the ones at other scales. 

(which was my rational for wanting the UCS nebbie, as I wanted the next gunship to be fig scale. A UCS gunship would mean a longer wait for another system one, wheras we'd never get a minifigure scale neb-b.)

2. Like you said, there's only a few new prints here, because most of these figures were produced just a year ago. A new pilot would require a new mold, and pretty much all related characters would as well, and since the gunship was experimental it makes sense that they didn't want to increase the risk by sinking new molds and even more new prints into the set.

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

1. The AT-AT is minifig scale. The gunship is larger than figure scale. Figure scale sets, especially ones with interiors meant for figures, tend to have more minifigs than the ones at other scales. 

Not counting MBS stuff, the UCS sets that have come with more than 2-3 figures are:

10179 Millenium Falcon (5 minifigures)

10188 Death Star (24 minifigures)

10212 Imperial Shuttle (4 minifigures)

10221 Super Star Destroyer (5 minifigures)

10236 Ewok Village (17 minifigures)

75079 Sandcrawler (14 minifigures)

75060 Slave I (5 minifigures, counting the Han Carbonite block)

75098 Assault on Hoth (15 minifigures)

75159 Death Star (27 minifigures)

75192 Millenium Falcon (8 minifigures)

Of those, 10188, 10236, 75098, and 75159 are essentially MBS sets, as they are all location based dioramas, as opposed to ships.

10179, 10212, 75060 and 75192 are at or very close to being minifigure scale.  As such, the minifigures can be used with them in a way that they can't with the larger UCS ships.

75079 is smaller than minifigure scale, but the same principles apply, because minifigures still look relatively proportional next to it, and there's space on the interior to put minfigures where they aren't completely dwarfed by the set, as opposed to putting the A-Wing pilot into the cockpit of the UCS A-Wing, where it just doesn't work.

The only one that breaks the pattern is 10221, in that it's a lot smaller than minifigure scale and doesn't really have the play features in the same way that others do, it just has the one command area where Vader talks to the Bounty Hunters, and I'm not even sure if the figures can fit with the roof of the set put into place.  However, that set came out like ten years ago and we haven't had any other sets break the pattern since.

In essence, it seems pretty clear that if a set is either at or close to minifigure scale, we get a lot of minifigures.  If it's larger than minifigure scale, they're included as a bonus to display, but they can't interact with the set in the same way, so we don't get tons of extras.

3 hours ago, necrochasm said:

It looks even better when you see it with the panels on, in full, with the legs. You really get a feel for just how big and awesome the thing is. 

Also I hope the interior becomes standard in future minifig scale UCS sets. Imagine a Slave I remake with a full interior, or an imperial shuttle, or an AT-TE. Endless possibilities there

Having an option to display a UCS as a model, or a playset, or a hybrid of both would be amazing, however I think the vehicle determines this more that a shift in direction. A minifig scale AT-AT lends itself to removing a side panel, and having tons of space for figs and play feature more so than others. That being said, they could have not created what looks to be an amazing set! But I wouldn't view this as a sign of things to come.

As others have said, the size and scale typically determines the figures (although plenty of people never seem to learn), but it is nice to know what is possible! If I was not happy with my plus size AT-AT I would be finding things to sell to try and afford this!