MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

12 minutes ago, Brickroll said:

How can you say that when 10071 and 40133 exist though?

Hehe, good one :laugh_hard: This is what happens when cubism and surrealism have a baby, and an ugly one at that :snicker:

Photos of the 3 in 1 set are out there now, it’s got the landspeeder, obi wan hut and the mustafar duel as predicted. 

Edited by Brikkyy13

7 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Looks like a Rancor is going to be included in Boba’s Palace after all :excited: …however, it’s allegedly going to be brick-built :hmpf:

Come on, what’s wrong with moulded creatures all of a sudden, first the Hungarian Horntail, then Fluffy, and now this :sad: There’s no chance in hell it’s going to look as good as the 2013 one, if true.

I'm actually of the opposite opinion here, and here's why. 
Molded creatures just feel un-lego-like to me. Yes, lego officially makes them and they've been in sets since the 90s, but still, something about the giant, specialized chunks of plastic just rubs me the wrong way. It's one of the reasons I love the bantha and dewback microfighters, they show that you can make recognizable animals with actual bricks. I think bigfigs are a different situation, as they're meant to be just humans at 1.5x or so scale, but in general I dislike the giant molded creatures. I get that back in the 90s it was either going to be a collection of cubes or a specialized mold, but something as big as a rancor should look great brick-built with all the parts they have now.

That said, though I personally really do prefer the brick-built to molded animals, it doesn't bother me too much as it's easier to make your own brick-built version of a molded animal than specialty mold a version of a brick-built animal. (plus the cost of the molded animals on secondary markets are usually high enough to offset the cost of buying parts to make brick-built versions)

6 hours ago, Brickroll said:

How can you say that when 10071 and 40133 exist though?

how dARE YOU SIR! 10071 is a NATIONAL TREASURE and you will not deny that it is the GREATEST SET EVER DESIGNED.

Jokes aside I actually do like 40133.

2 hours ago, Brikkyy13 said:

Photos of the 3 in 1 set are out there now, it’s got the landspeeder, obi wan hut and the mustafar duel as predicted. 

"obi-wan relives his PTSD and starts seeing double of luke" adventure pack

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

It's one of the reasons I love the bantha and dewback microfighters, they show that you can make recognizable animals with actual bricks.

The creature-based microfighters look cute and are instantly recognisable as you say, but to me, they’d never work as the ‘real deal’. If small animals are moulded, large ones should be too, just for the sake of consistency :shrug_oh_well: 

Moreover, brick-built creatures look too robotic to me, which isn’t helped by the mini ball-joint parts that always stick out like a sore thumb. Sadly, they are colour-locked, so that’s not going to change :tongue:

I've gotta say I also prefer the brick-built creatures. I mean, it's Lego, so the point is to build something, out of bricks. Yes the moulded models do look more accurate, but they also look like something more out of a Kenner/Hasbro line-up than a Lego set. I can understand having smaller animals as a single mould, as the shape isn't possible at that scale given the thickness of a standard Lego piece, but a larger creature like a Rancor should be much more doable in brick built form.

1 hour ago, MaximillianRebo said:

I mean, it's Lego, so the point is to build something, out of bricks.

I don’t disagree with that sentiment in general - LEGO is a construction toy after all - but creatures are the one exception for me. And minifigs too, of course :grin:

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The creature-based microfighters look cute and are instantly recognisable as you say, but to me, they’d never work as the ‘real deal’. If small animals are moulded, large ones should be too, just for the sake of consistency :shrug_oh_well: 

Moreover, brick-built creatures look too robotic to me, which isn’t helped by the mini ball-joint parts that always stick out like a sore thumb. Sadly, they are colour-locked, so that’s not going to change :tongue:

One problem here is though that Lego still doesn't go away from colour fixed parts. Like other brands have those kind of ball joints in multiple colours available much cheaper. I don't support any of those brands but I gotta say it's really tempting to think that not every creature has to have so much exposed weird grey parts in it.

I think T-Rex, Tauntauns or Rancors were pretty cool. But compared to other toys they really lack detail as there's never that much print or fluid colour scheme. And all of the microfighter-animals were pretty awesome. Anyway they can coexist with each other. Like; do molds and builds. Same as UCS and affordable scale sets! We don't need to buy it all.

15 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Looks like a Rancor is going to be included in Boba’s Palace after all :excited: …however, it’s allegedly going to be brick-built :hmpf:

Come on, what’s wrong with moulded creatures all of a sudden, first the Hungarian Horntail, then Fluffy, and now this :sad: There’s no chance in hell it’s going to look as good as the 2013 one, if true.

Because what's the point of a brick-based construction toy if we got huge moulds for every creature?

I do think that characters are an exception, like big figs or even TLBM Killer Croc. But when it comes to regular creatures, I like them brickbuilt. 

Saying that, I really hate that after all those years, hinge pieces and small ball joints are still grey. They look awful on creatures, like the Hungarian Horntail.

Well, to each their own. Y’all have fun with Mecha-Rancor 3000 then, I’m glad I own the 2013 one :tongue:

To sum up my feelings on the matter, I drop these two pictures, presented without comment:

10245_front_09.jpg
6310336.jpg

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

I, too, prefer molded animals. (I’d *really* like a Bantha.)

However….. we haven’t seen the (supposed) BOBF Rancor yet. It could be equipped w/ armor, saddle, and it’d need a good place for Boba to sit.

That in mind, brick-built may be the most logical way to do this one—and the color of the joints may not even end up being incorrect.

Edited by Pedilego

8 minutes ago, Pedilego said:

However….. we haven’t seen the (supposed) BOBF Rancor yet. It could be equipped w/ armor, saddle, and it’d need a good place for Boba to sit.

The 2013 one does have studs on its back, so a saddle or similar add-ons can‘t be the issue. Most likely it‘s just a cost-saving measure because the 2013 version must‘ve been pretty expensive to produce :tongue:

10 minutes ago, Pedilego said:

—and the color of the joints may not even end up being incorrect.

That could only be the case if A) there are no ball joints and its limbs are instead attached with pins, or B) it‘s colour scheme is (dark) grey :snicker:

38 minutes ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

The 2013 one does have studs on its back, so a saddle or similar add-ons can‘t be the issue. Most likely it‘s just a cost-saving measure because the 2013 version must‘ve been pretty expensive to produce :tongue:

That could only be the case if A) there are no ball joints and its limbs are instead attached with pins, or B) it‘s colour scheme is (dark) grey :snicker:

Google “Rancor Armor” if that helps. You /could/ be right, but you /could/ be wrong, too—and that’s my point: we don’t know yet. 

A couple studs on each shoulder won’t necessarily be enough to fully equip the beast, nor would a build atop them necessarily give the right “riding look”.

Maybe there’ll be a lot of bulky gray armor so gray joints blend in. Maybe the one in the show will be gray (wouldn’t be the first time seeing that). Maybe TLG’ll finally recolor the joints.

Ultimately, yes, molded would look better. (Ragnarok Hulk comes to mind.) But given the size and specific specs of this beast, I’m willing to wait & see before judging TLG’s decision.

24 minutes ago, Pedilego said:

Maybe TLG’ll finally recolor the joints.

Not gonna happen, they're colour-locked for durability reasons, as the specific colours for the ball-joint and receiver parts they chose are the least likely to break. Can you even imagine the carnage if they released reddish brown ball joints? :laugh_hard:

Google “Rancor Armor” if that helps. 

If that's the case, it's going to look even more like a Mecha-Rancor :head_back:

But given the size and specific specs of this beast, I’m willing to wait & see before judging TLG’s decision.

Fair enough :classic: They might surprise us, but after the last few brick-built creatures, I'm not holding my breath for anything spectacular here. It's just a side build in a $100 set after all. I'd argue the best brick-built creatures are the ones that are the main focus of the set (Shelob or the Great Protector, to name two of my favourites), compared to the ones that serve as side builds

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

On 10/22/2021 at 1:32 PM, BrickBob Studpants said:

It seems TLG doesn't want to give us any of molded creatures from SW cause I was hoping to get at least one of BB Baby Rancor or Mandalorian Mudhorn. 

I’m definitely late to the party but wanted to comment on what is both the most exciting and disappointing rumor of next year. Jabbas Palace again sounds fine but at 20 dollars cheaper, hearing that the Rancor is brick built and included? Taking inflation into consideration, paired with the bulky build of the Rancor, I am very skeptical about how good the build will be. That said I own the 2012 version and love it, only really interested if they top that build or figure wise. Anyone remember the 1997 rerelease of episode 6? I actually really would love some of the characters in the extended Max Rebo band made as figures. Here’s who I hope show up;

* Sy Snootles (new mould needed)

*Droopy McCool (new mould needed)

* Ak Rev (could use flat head with braid printed down back Padawan style)

* Doda Bodonawieedo (use Greedo/Rodian head mold)

* Barquin d'an (use Bith head piece)

* Greeata Jendowanian (new mold needed)

* Lyn Me (use Twilek headpiece from Oola, Aayla and Hera)

* Rystall Sant (could use new mould but could pass for printed horns on her forehead and use the Series 17 Dance Instructor hair)

* Umpass Stay (could use new mould but flat head with features printed on more likely)

As you can see I excluded a few members that I felt were ugly or unnecessary. If not this time around, if we ever get a UCS Jabba’s Palace, I would love to see the full band or just the 10 I listed above. Honestly, Lyn Me and Sy Snootles are the members I hope most make it to Lego.

that said, we’ve gotten several concepts repeated in Lego Star Wars before. Several Tie Fighters, X-Wings, Luke landspeeder etc. Obviously this is because those builds are iconic and highly sought after, but that won’t stop me from asking why Lego has taken so long to revisit certain concepts. I think it’s high time characters like Mon Mothma and Zam Wessel in modern printing. Both characters I think had more prominence in their respective films than some filler characters we get over the years. Hoping to see them readapted eventually as well.

5 minutes ago, cosmic said:

I’m definitely late to the party but wanted to comment on what is both the most exciting and disappointing rumor of next year. Jabbas Palace again sounds fine but at 20 dollars cheaper [...]

This isn't Jabba's Palace, it's Boba's :wink: We don't know yet which familiar characters might end up appearing in the show, but some of the characters you're listing definitely won't :snicker:

On 10/23/2021 at 4:43 AM, BrickBob Studpants said:

I don’t disagree with that sentiment in general - LEGO is a construction toy after all - but creatures are the one exception for me. And minifigs too, of course :grin:

I wonder if the molds were more lego-like, if I would like them better. Like in the way that minifigures aren't attempting to look just like humans, if a rancor was molded but made more lego-like in the part molding, that might look better to me at least. Of course, then we again run into the issue that it's easier to make a lego-looking rancor out of bricks than to custom mold a realistic one.

On 10/23/2021 at 4:29 PM, kidtheboss611 said:

It seems TLG doesn't want to give us any of molded creatures from SW cause I was hoping to get at least one of BB Baby Rancor or Mandalorian Mudhorn. 

Baby rancor would be small enough to require a new mold, although only appearing in a single episode of an animated show, it'd be unlikely to get a set given how animated series hesitent they are now. A mudhorn is more likely but would be brick-built, if you look at that one fantastic beasts figure and the black panther one they can do rhinoceroses pretty well brick-built.

It's a pity there doesn't seem to be any microfighter creatures coming next wave, as a brick built Mudhorn or Blurrg would be great to see (or Boga, or Reek, or Acklay...)

17 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Baby rancor would be small enough to require a new mold, although only appearing in a single episode of an animated show, it'd be unlikely to get a set given how animated series hesitent they are now. A mudhorn is more likely but would be brick-built, if you look at that one fantastic beasts figure and the black panther one they can do rhinoceroses pretty well brick-built.

To be fair you're probably right on the baby rancor but the mudhorn definitely should have been built and while I might prefer a mold, a brick-built mudhorn (micro-fighter or actual set) would be great too. 

On the topic of molds and brick-built, I think the Dewback from the Mos Eisley Cantina MBS set is a good example of meshing brick-building and a mold together. The brick-built saddle for the stormtrooper and the mold go perfectly together and IMO look great. Doing something similar with rancor would make it "lego" enough for me while still using a mold. 

2 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

Doing something similar with rancor would make it "lego" enough for me while still using a mold. 

Agree wholeheartedly :thumbup: Hybrids usually work, especially when the head is moulded (see e.g. this year's Basilisk). That's where the entirely brick-built creatures fall apart for me; the facial details. Prints or stickers are usually just not good enough to capture them :classic: Just look at the face of the 2013 Rancor, there's no way a print or a sticker can compete with actual moulded details like that :tongue:

Sure, the new one could theoretically also fall in that hybrid category, but why create a pointless mould like that when the old one must still be lying around somewhere in a drawer, collecting dust, waiting to be resurrected :grin:

5 hours ago, kidtheboss611 said:

To be fair you're probably right on the baby rancor but the mudhorn definitely should have been built and while I might prefer a mold, a brick-built mudhorn (micro-fighter or actual set) would be great too. 

I might not have articulated this right but I meant that the mudhorn should be brick-built, as the fantastic beasts and black panther ones were.

15 hours ago, MaximillianRebo said:

It's a pity there doesn't seem to be any microfighter creatures coming next wave, as a brick built Mudhorn or Blurrg would be great to see (or Boga, or Reek, or Acklay...)

The microfighters seem to be the first thing they dropped from covid and the supply issues, which is fine to me, though you're right that it's a shame we don't have more of these brick-built creatures. A wheel bike chase two pack would fit the mold perfectly.

2 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Sure, the new one could theoretically also fall in that hybrid category, but why create a pointless mould like that when the old one must still be lying around somewhere in a drawer, collecting dust, waiting to be resurrected :grin:

They get rid of molds, if I remember correctly. I hope they don't just straight up destroy them, but designers have spoken in the past about molds being discontinued. There've also been examples of molds being "reborn", but it's a new mold even if the part seems identical (vorox armor and tuhrahk staffs from bionicle come to mind)

I will take specialized animal molds over brick-built abominations any day. I'll be really disappointed if the BoBF comes with an awful-looking brick-built Rancor. I'm so happy I have the 2013 one but it feels like LEGO can't seem to make up their minds on how thwy want to do LEGO animals. To me, LEGO animals are in a similar boat to LEGO minifigures and shouldn't have to be "built" 9 times out of 10 they look significantly worse than specialized equivalents. Besides, LEGO has established a consistent style with specialized animal molds and I see zero problem with that.

I find it amusing when people say something made by LEGO is "not LEGO-like" as if someone snuck in and dropped a toy from a different toy company in the box or something. What is the criteria for being "LEGO-like"? Most LEGO animals have studs or bar connections, most are made of multiple pieces, if they have feet, they are able to connect to studded surfaces. All that's left is the argument specialized molds are hard to use for mocs and to that I say perhaps you're not being creative enough :tongue:

Edited by ToaDraco

5 hours ago, ToaDraco said:

I find it amusing when people say something made by LEGO is "not LEGO-like" as if someone snuck in and dropped a toy from a different toy company in the box or something. 

That's a bit unfair. LEGO definitely has a design language that they try pretty hard to conform to, and mostly succeed, but also slip up sometimes. An example that always comes to my mind is the Lone Ranger pistol. That looked like a mini replica pistol, and while it had a bar attachment to minifigures could hold it, that was it. It looked more like something Mega would make, since they're in the business of making proportioned mini action figures with accessories to suit.

I can't say I feel they've slipped out of their design language with Star Wars creatures, though. They make the creatures with angular features or squared off sides, fitting in pretty well with the overall LEGO aesthetic. While they have gotten better at brick built creatures, I also tend to prefer moulded ones.

The price of Boba's Palace compared to its rumoured piece count would make perfect sense for it to have a moulded Rancor rather than a built one.