MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

43 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Actually, it is. While considered to be nonstandard, its usage dates back to ~1795 CE. 

I stand corrected! (apologies!) Although, I still hate it and stand by the nonstandard view of it... I'll go back to lurking in shame :laugh:

54 minutes ago, Gontron said:

I feel like we've been at the stage of "they're only testing OT" for years now. As for the discussion of re-releases, there is no reason they need to rehash the same vehicles/figures every 1-2 years when several main characters like Lando, Padme, and Mace Windu haven't been available for a long time and are expensive on the after market. Don't even get me started on Clone Troopers prices... 

Yeah I know, but, these 18+ sets are slightly different and focused more towards adults, they know full well there are plenty of older afols where the OT and the 18+ range has a sweet spot rich in potential customers--not to say it wouldn't do well with PT, but again... Its a 'new' spin they're trying, what safer way to play it than the OT... 

Am just playing devil's advocate too by the way. Id much rather they delved into other stuff more often, but for some reason, while they're desperate to try wild and whacky stuff outside of star wars in almost every other theme... For some reason they like to play it safe for the majority.... No idea why :def_shrug:

Edited by Fuppylodders

17 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

they're desperate to try wild and whacky stuff outside of star wars in almost every other theme... For some reason they like to play it safe for the majority.... No idea why :def_shrug:

“Almost every other theme…”
Every DC fan has just turned into a withered wojak lol

2 hours ago, Gontron said:

I feel like we've been at the stage of "they're only testing OT" for years now. As for the discussion of re-releases, there is no reason they need to rehash the same vehicles/figures every 1-2 years when several main characters like Lando, Padme, and Mace Windu haven't been available for a long time and are expensive on the after market. Don't even get me started on Clone Troopers prices... 

Your wider point might be right, I don't have the energy to go check, but off the top of my head all three of those figures have been recently released in some form. Mace Windu in 2019 and the more recent 2021 UCS, padme in 2019 (though she does have very few figures), and various landos in the past few years (a couple falcons, bespin, debatably the 20th snowspeeder, etc).

1 hour ago, Brickroll said:

“Almost every other theme…”
Every DC fan has just turned into a withered wojak lol

Ironic considering how nice those "the batman" sets look. Not to get off topic, but I own 0 DC sets and those have me tempted...

1 hour ago, Fuppylodders said:

Am just playing devil's advocate too by the way. Id much rather they delved into other stuff more often, but for some reason, while they're desperate to try wild and whacky stuff outside of star wars in almost every other theme... For some reason they like to play it safe for the majority.... No idea why :def_shrug:

They're playing it safe because star wars is one of the best-selling themes, so they don't want another action battles situation. Even then there've been tons of new concepts that they use OT to start out. Quickly recapping:

Helmets: These seem to be doing alright, seeing as we're approaching year three of them. Our first non-classic OT set coming too with the mandalorian, I wouldn't doubt a clone helmet in 2023.

Cheaper starfighters: the TIE and X-wing both have done amazingly well at least from what I've seen at stores, but it's too soon to see the impact.

Diorama style sets: Bespin duel did incredibly well but that was partially due to the limited stock. I don't know how well the meditation chamber did, but these new ones, especially the dagobah one, seem like surefire hits, and I could easily see a set for the discovery of the child, or anakin vs obi wan soon.

UCS prequels: The gunship, based off what I've seen, ended up selling about as well as the average UCS set if not better, so I don't doubt we'll see a venator or ARC by 2024.

With other themes, they definately do "play it safe" in some ways. DC being almost exclusively batman, marvel's spiderman focus and the constant planes and tanks, etc. City and Harry potter are fairly standard throughout, though they do try minor things like the stunt bikes and book sets. The main area of experimentation is new themes, which is because lego is under the (erroneous) belief that the survival of their brand in the future will be based off technological integration. Hidden side failed, vidyo failed, mario seems to be scraping by based off the popularity of the IP.

57 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

With other themes, they definately do "play it safe" in some ways. DC being almost exclusively batman, marvel's spiderman focus and the constant planes and tanks, etc. City and Harry potter are fairly standard throughout,

If Harry potter is considered fairly standard then star wars is in a sad place. I'm not a harry potter fan but the HP line these past few years have blown my mind. Two CMFs, a huge number of minifigures encompassing an insanely large number of characters with tons of variants and new molds left and right, and sets that just keep getting better and better. I thought the hogwarts sets from 2018 were peak already, but the 2021 one surpasses them ten fold; despite being the same location, they made the sets both fresh and different enough that the line remains enjoyable. The star wars line sorts of does this with sets like the MBS cantina but overall I feel apathetic abut the majority of sets. Having a death star duel retire then another version that is 99% the same a few years later is bland to say the least

Edited by Bobbtom

1 hour ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Ironic considering how nice those "the batman" sets look. Not to get off topic, but I own 0 DC sets and those have me tempted...

I also have few dc sets and I feel the same way, but there is no comparison to SW or really any other theme-I mean, like 5 system sets in one year is pretty terrible.

Anyways, I’m a little late to the discussion, but here’s my thoughts on the sets—

Hut sounds good, and if TBoBF is good or if any sets have some neat characters (and I’m pretty sure he isn’t confirmed or even fully rumored yet) I might consider getting them, but overall wave just doesn’t do too much for me.

1 hour ago, Brickroll said:

I also have few dc sets and I feel the same way, but there is no comparison to SW or really any other theme-I mean, like 5 system sets in one year is pretty terrible.

Anyways, I’m a little late to the discussion, but here’s my thoughts on the sets—

Hut sounds good, and if TBoBF is good or if any sets have some neat characters (and I’m pretty sure he isn’t confirmed or even fully rumored yet) I might consider getting them, but overall wave just doesn’t do too much for me.

Oh yeah I didn't meant to imply that DC wasn't getting completely shafted... when was the last time you guys got a superman figure? 2018? For the second most iconic DC character?

Dude TBOBF set could have a frickin

Spoiler

ridable rancor

There are no limits as to how awesome it could be....but we should probably temper our expectations.

1 hour ago, Bobbtom said:

If Harry potter is considered fairly standard then star wars is in a sad place.

I meant in terms of changing and taking risks, hence why I talked about the books as an outlier. They aren't bad sets, they're an example of a different set style or risk being taken.

My personal thoughts on the wave thus far:

Accessory packs: We don't know much but I like the change to the blister packs, as they usually have figure-scaled builds meant as little additions like barricades and stuff.

Snowtrooper battle pack: YES. A UCS tie-in battle pack with normal blasters and a display stand made for one of the coolest (pun intended) armies in the galaxy is great. Probably buying at least one.

Razor crest micro: Great for a cheap way to get mando, though since I have one I won't buy it.

Hoth AT-ST: I have the 2016 one, otherwise I would get this regardless of the figures. I do hope it has snowy chewie though, that'd be a nice bonus for people who are gonna get it.

Dagobah: YES. This sounds incredible, and will look great next to my bespin duel and UCS slave one. I'm thinking of doing a whole ESB display now, have to check bricklink for some other sets to get for it.

Trash compacter. This sounds great, and is the first set to be focused on the trash compactor, a very iconic scene (not counting the death star as that was 1/16th or so of the set). I personally won't get it unless I see a sale, but I'm happy for people just getting into SW as they can now get the main four and an iconic scene in a single set.

TBOBF: I'm glad we're getting one, though I'll have to see it before buying it.

Landspeeder: It had to happen eventually, I only have one UCS set, and this one isn't going to change that.

So the 60EUR set is not in fact the trash compactor (although we might still get that), but is in fact... A microscale trench run. I like microscale as much as the next guy, but is this really necessary as a 60EUR set? It sounds like something that should have been a GWP. And it's another set that won't do anything to placate the minifigure fans, since it comes with precisely zero.

Microscale trench run sounds sweet, especially since I was never sent the last one with the A-Wing. This is shaping up to be a great start to the year, love that they’re taking risks with the display sets rather than giving us tired old system scale rereleases. Yeah, I’d prefer prequel stuff, but I definitely like the sound of these dioramas over another Y-Wing. I will say that it’s a bit weird that some of these are meant to be released in May and we’re hearing about them now…

Huh… Not sure what to think of that. It’s essentially just a scaled-up version of what the last few GWP sets did. I wonder if they’ll continue with those as well in parallel or if they come up with something new for the May the 4th promos :shrug_oh_well: (or just go back to promotional minifigs, as they should :tongue:)

I'm sure many willl say the trench run is unnecessary or a weird choice, but It's one of the most iconic scenes in all of Star Wars, to the point that it was copied in two subsequent SW films. It's never been done before and could look quite nice (as long as it's nothing like last year's horrible GWP)

Edited by Archer

11 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Dude TBOBF set could have a frickin

Reveal hidden contents

Which makes me think the $70 set Boba set might actually be:

Spoiler

A new Rancor Pit, or some Palace extension with the new Rancor.

Well that's certainly even less exciting than the Garbage Compactor... I guess it'll be a cool build, but not one that would interest me.

Well, can't wait to get the price and release date for the Garbage Compactor then. It didn't sound like a 60€-worthy set, but if it's less, I might like the idea much more. The release edited is probably May with the other 18+ dioramas.

It's interesting how much of recent Lego Waves seem geared toward adults. The Helmets, Dioramas, and UCS sets definitely seem designed as display pieces. Based on how they're marketed I think Lego expects these sets to be displayed in the offices of young professionals. 

There seem to be less clear-cut play sets. Personally I find that disappointing, especially since there are so many sets in need of a remake. I've been waiting for a new TIE Bomber, TIE Interceptor, Trade Federation Vulture Droid, V-19 Torrent, and MagnaGuard starfighter for years. 

The last starfighters we got were in the Winter of 2021 with the X-wing and TIE Fighter. I want more of that!

But I shouldn't complain too much. As much as we second-guess Lego's decisions, we shouldn't forget that they have internal numbers and data that inform their choices. I assume they keep making these display pieces because they sell well. We can't know the details of the sales, but the produce lineup is not without rhyme or reason. 

Edited by Zap Rowsdower

2 hours ago, Zap Rowsdower said:

The last starfighters we got were in the Winter of 2021 with the X-wing and TIE Fighter. I want more of that!

Mandalorian starfighter: “am I a joke to you”? 😁

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Mandalorian starfighter: “am I a joke to you”? 😁

Technically the Mandalorian starfighter is more of a transport shrunk down to starfighter size.

In canon, it's larger than the Ghost. 

Edited by Zap Rowsdower

My toughs on this wave:

Accessory packs: Depends on the content, but i dont like that his is the 5USD/Eur price increased battlepack from now on. If this will be limited to Lego store, then its even worse - there will be limited discounts. I was used to get 1-2 BP for almost full price and then tons of them at 50% to army build.

Snowtrooper battle pack: Have like 10 of the previous old ones, so no need for this one - maybe bricklink the scouts if they are really good printed. According to the description this is even worse than the 501 BP as its really the content of standard BP just 5Eur more expensive

Razor crest micro: If there is the shiny beskar version, not interested - i have like 3 of them already. Would be cool if its the original one and updated with armprint -> that would be a day one full price buy. I will hesitate to buy some at 50% discount - the shiny beskar one is not really good to create custom mandos in combinations with other mando parts.

Hoth AT-ST: Meh minifig selection, if they have special print, ill take one at 50%. Got the Rogue 1 for 50% so have like 3 of them

Dagobah: Have the previous one so im not sure if there will be enough interesting to validate purchase at 20-30% discounts, nothing really screams day one full price buy

Death Star Trench Run: :D no thanx, if its interesting build, ill build it from my own bricks, easy skip

TBOBF: Only 2 sets from this wave im interested in - connected to BoBF show - hope it will be worth full price - hope the fig selection will be great and the figs will be well done

Landspeeder: Not my cup of tee - another UCS skip, good as the UCS AT-AT is expensive, i will consider that one. I will be angry only about the armprinted C-3PO similar to the red- arm one but i will not purchase a set i dont want just for a not so important fig upgrade - now it will be interesting to watch the excuses - why here it will be fine to put a fig behind a paywall but it was not ok to do with the Gunship :)

For someone who collects SW since 99 its a week wave, so i will save money, but maybe buy some HP sets instead.

3 hours ago, Zap Rowsdower said:

But I shouldn't complain too much. As much as we second-guess Lego's decisions, we shouldn't forget that they have internal numbers and data that inform their choices. I assume they keep making these display pieces because they sell well. We can't know the details of the sales, but the produce lineup is not without rhyme or reason. 

Those helmets sets are starting to clog shelves in my toy shop chain (big as TrU) So i dont know where they got the sales numbers then. Other sets are moving faster. Tesco is not even selling them.

35 minutes ago, Zap Rowsdower said:

Technically the Mandalorian starfighter is more of a transport shrunk down to starfighter size.

Really ? Does not look so big and even bigger as Ghost. Ghost has several rooms and a bigger cargo hold - this is just one room + a second floor with cockpit + some room behind it and then engines and stuff.

7 hours ago, PRbrickbuilder said:

Which makes me think the $70 set Boba set might actually be:

Reveal hidden contents

A new Rancor Pit, or some Palace extension with the new Rancor.

Yeah, this is what I'm leaning towards as a possibility.

1 hour ago, Zap Rowsdower said:

You're thinking of the gauntlet transport, the mandalorians also have starfighters that look almost identical except for cockpits that look more like this as opposed to the gauntlet.

I'm disappointed it's a microscale trench run instead of a trash compacter, and also somewhat confused. Didn't we have figure lists and a printed qoute, from reliable sources too? How did that get mixed up?

20 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

I'm disappointed it's a microscale trench run instead of a trash compacter, and also somewhat confused. Didn't we have figure lists and a printed qoute, from reliable sources too? How did that get mixed up?

I think @Falconfan1414 said that both are coming, just the compactor had the set number that was assigned to the trench, so it'll still exist but with a different number.

33 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

I think @Falconfan1414 said that both are coming, just the compactor had the set number that was assigned to the trench, so it'll still exist but with a different number.

Both are coming. Numbers were confused

I've just read the last couple of posts and a lot of people are saying Lego is trying new things and I just don't think that's true. 

Smaller starfighters aren't new they're just cheaper.

Dioramas are just sets that are sold with black bricks + a quote for $20 more than they're actually worth.

UCS prequels are also not new and should have been around for the last 10 years as they were the first 10 years of LSW. 

Helmets are actually new and cool but also fall into the growing group of sets that are smaller, displayable, targeted towards adults (and made more expensive). 

The fact is they haven't tried anything new in a while and they refuse to make sets on the new media that have been released in the last 1-2 years (Visions, TBB, CW7). TBB has no new sets in the first 8 months of 2022 which is absolutely idiotic cause they have a new season coming out in 2022 and had a popular first season in 2021. Instead, we get two dioramas from the OT which are expensive and made for a very specific segment of your fanbase. The dioramas are popular in this forum because here we are nearly entirely AFOLS and older OT viewers, however, in the grander scheme of Lego SW fans only a small fraction of fans will want these sets. I know this because, as made aware to me in the previous thread, kids are the majority of buyers and adults do the buying for them and no matter how much you love OT you're not buying a $60 - $80 lego diorama for your kid to play with you'll buy a $20 land speeder with a nice farmboy Luke. 

I think lego has just been lazy in their set ideas for the first half of 2022 and they have had very opportunity to make new stuff from new media or explore unmade prequel/sequel stuff but instead we get more OT. 

Does anyone wonder if maybe LEGO has made less sets for Bad Batch to start in response to poor sales of Rebels sets around the same time in the series? Maybe LEGO just wants to be safe to prevent petering waves of low sales? 

Also, do many other companies seem to be making much merchandise in regards to Bad Batch? Maybe it isn't just LEGO avoiding merch for this series at the moment (and if so, maybe there's a bigger reason).

36 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

I've just read the last couple of posts and a lot of people are saying Lego is trying new things and I just don't think that's true. 

Dioramas are just sets that are sold with black bricks + a quote for $20 more than they're actually worth.

UCS prequels are also not new and should have been around for the last 10 years as they were the first 10 years of LSW. 

Helmets are actually new and cool but also fall into the growing group of sets that are smaller, displayable, targeted towards adults (and made more expensive). 

The fact is they haven't tried anything new in a while and they refuse to make sets on the new media that have been released in the last 1-2 years (Visions, TBB, CW7). TBB has no new sets in the first 8 months of 2022 which is absolutely idiotic cause they have a new season coming out in 2022 and had a popular first season in 2021. Instead, we get two dioramas from the OT which are expensive and made for a very specific segment of your fanbase. The dioramas are popular in this forum because here we are nearly entirely AFOLS and older OT viewers, however, in the grander scheme of Lego SW fans only a small fraction of fans will want these sets. I know this because, as made aware to me in the previous thread, kids are the majority of buyers and adults do the buying for them and no matter how much you love OT you're not buying a $60 - $80 lego diorama for your kid to play with you'll buy a $20 land speeder with a nice farmboy Luke. 

I think lego has just been lazy in their set ideas for the first half of 2022 and they have had very opportunity to make new stuff from new media or explore unmade prequel/sequel stuff but instead we get more OT. 

Do people really think Lego makes sense for a small group of AFOL's that want to buy every single set and are dissapointed if not every single one is up to their standards?

Don't get me wrong, I understand that you dislike sets we get and would like others. But Why you bring moral in so much? They did do sets for CW7, Mando and TBB. Just that they are careful; it's not clear whether those sets would sell well on the market. Think of how bad the Rebels sets sold - and I love Rebels!

Visions is something even weirder and more experimental - also a bit brutal and adult, from what I've heard. Why would Lego be the only company doing sets for this? I think SW is a mess for toy companies: all the new movies have been about rehashing old ships so all the big budget went into random alien, FO stormie and Ressistance molds. Would the designs have been half as creative as the prequel designs I'm sure toys would have been more of a success.

As for new shows, they never know if it is something kids will like, probably they have very limited access to material as well, which makes planning a mess. Probably this is one OT-style wave and then there's the option of newer sets, maybe even bad batch (if the numbers were good).

And no - both affordable scale plus the dioramas are something new. I was able to get a Slave one with better proportions and better figures than the bigger one for less than half the price. And before the Bespin duel, we never got any good "location" sets. Lego "listened" to fans who liked this set and now the make them for the whole market. Now people complain even about that...

3 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Ok, good to know.

1 hour ago, kidtheboss611 said:

"action battles aren't new they're just simpler sets with little cannons" "constraction isn't new it's just bionicles with star wars skins" "microfighters aren't new they're just smaller ships" going back to 2001: "UCS isn't new it's just bigger ships" Suffice it to say, yes, those are all new things that they're trying. Furthermore, they have made sets for clone wars S7, a good number for a show too. Visions didn't get sets because it's an experimental anime anthology series, it didn't get much merch at all. Bad batch got a set to see how well it would sell, and lego can't turn around new sets just a wave later, so yeah it'll be 2hy before they get many more sets IF the shuttle sold well. They've made a ton of new stuff recently, like helmets, more affordable fighters, dioramas, etc.

1 hour ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

Does anyone wonder if maybe LEGO has made less sets for Bad Batch to start in response to poor sales of Rebels sets around the same time in the series? Maybe LEGO just wants to be safe to prevent petering waves of low sales? 

Also, do many other companies seem to be making much merchandise in regards to Bad Batch? Maybe it isn't just LEGO avoiding merch for this series at the moment (and if so, maybe there's a bigger reason).

That's a fair point but if you remember Rebels sets failed more because they were released months prior to the season starting and once the show actually aired the sets were no longer marketed. 

You have to look no further than Hasbro to see popular SW content selling like hotcakes from all eras of star wars. Black Series has had a run for every major movie and show release and they nearly sell out every time. The Fives (CT-5555) action figure that was sold last year sold out quicker than basically every OT action figure on their site and its success has prompted tons of CW Black Series characters and other action figures from that era of SW. Hasbro's success with pleasing quite literally everybody from OT purists, to hardcore clone fans is what lego should take a cue from. And if you don't believe walk to your local Target or Walmart and go to their Lego and action figure isles. You'll see the X-wings and TIE fighters riding shelves but you won't see Black Series CW Anakin or Hawk. 

6 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

Ok, good to know.

"action battles aren't new they're just simpler sets with little cannons" "constraction isn't new it's just bionicles with star wars skins" "microfighters aren't new they're just smaller ships" going back to 2001: "UCS isn't new it's just bigger ships" Suffice it to say, yes, those are all new things that they're trying. Furthermore, they have made sets for clone wars S7, a good number for a show too. Visions didn't get sets because it's an experimental anime anthology series, it didn't get much merch at all. Bad batch got a set to see how well it would sell, and lego can't turn around new sets just a wave later, so yeah it'll be 2hy before they get many more sets IF the shuttle sold wyah ell. They've made a ton of new stuff recently, like helmets, more affordable fighters, dioramas, etc.

That's just not accurate though is it. The difference in price usually (over 200 dollars) makes UCS entirely different. Making an X-wing for 30-40 cheaper isn't something new, something new would be making a Star Wars CMF like they did for Marvel, or a dual full-scale starfighter set (like Vader+A-Wing from rebels) or a P2 clone helmet with holes or Force Ghost figs or a Separatist Lucrehulk-class set. Some of those aren't set ideas I know but they would be new to LSW and would be a welcome change from the same OT stuff every year.

31 minutes ago, kidtheboss611 said:

And if you don't believe walk to your local Target or Walmart and go to their Lego and action figure isles. You'll see the X-wings and TIE fighters riding shelves but you won't see Black Series CW Anakin or Hawk. 

Sorry, but this is a gross oversimplification. You're overlooking the feast-or-famine distribution woes that have plagued Hasbro for decades, resulting in some waves of action figures being impossible to find, while others warm pegs in massive quantities for months on end... Contrast this with LEGO, which keeps product flowing to both their own stores and their retail partners on a near-continuous basis for at minimum 9 months, and as many as 24 months depending on the set. (Yes, I know there are outliers like the UCS Falcon launch and the Bespin Duel convention exclusive, and Australia is another matter entirely... but for mainline sets in the US at least, they're ten thousand times better than Hasbro at distribution).

The fact that any given action figure isn't on Target shelves has way more to do with the fact that Hasbro can't predict demand for and regulate flow of product to retailers, than it does with the popularity of any one character/theme/era. Likewise, the fact that LEGO's products are on shelves doesn't mean they're not selling... it just means that LEGO can actually replenish stock in a timely manner.