MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2022 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

New batman sets give our first look at the new stud shooters. Potentially less ugly to incorporate into sets. Maybe.

Regarding the BoBF, an incredible recent leak could hint at something we could potentially see in the $100 set...

Spoiler

Apparently Boba is going to ride on top of an armored Rancor, possibly an adult Muchi! This will apparently be in the first trailer so that would give it strong set potential. LEGO only produced the Rancor molds once so I can't imagine a better opportunity to reproduce them. I have the original and it's incredible! The one he will ride is described as being lighter in color than Pateesa was and it is wearing an armored breast plate so getting the Rancor mold in a new color and giving it printed armor on the front would be absolutely amazing. Of course that would mean fewer minifigs but I think it's a worthy trade off.

Edited by ToaDraco

What an absolute legend if true. I can’t wait to see that.

Cuill:

“Your forbears rode the ancient Mythosaur”

Boba:

”Hold my Beer”

Edited by LDigital

17 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

Expensive CW sets is easy for LEGO to do. They could just make Clone Turbo Tank or AT-TE with CW design  as 120$-130$ sets, and put some highly desired CW figures there like new Phase 2 Cody and Rex along with other clones.

Honestly I hadn't even considered a Turbo Tank, which is funny since I own the CW version. I suppose it has been a few years since we got either one of those vehicles, but I do feel like with the amount of new TV shows coming out, Lego is probably going to save most of the largest set slots for those or OT stuff. I could also see a new Gunship, but I doubt it'll happen until 2023 at the earliest with the UCS one still being relatively new.

A few updates from Promo Bricks:

75321 Razor Crest Micro Fighter

There will also be a micro fighter again at the beginning of next year. This is the Razor Crest by Din Djarin, which is also included as a figure in his Beskar armor and jetpack. The small replica of the spaceship is also equipped with the new shooter element and consists of 98 parts. As always, the price is 9.99 euros.

75325 (The Book of Boba Fett)

So far we only know about this set that it will probably be based on the new series The Book of Boba Fett and will cost 69.99 euros. It will most likely not be released until June.

75329 Death Star Trash Compactor

The Death Star's garbage compactor is another display model that is specifically aimed at adults. The familiar scenery from Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope is built on a black, 20 studs wide base. The walls are brown and gray like in the film, and there are lots of gray parts as trash. The set includes Princess Leia, Chewbacca and Luke and Han in Stormtrooper armor. At the base there is a black 2 × 4 tile with the imprint “LEGO Star Wars” and a 2 × 6 tile with the quote from Han Solo “One thing's for sure. We're all gonna be alot thinner. ”The set consists of 666 parts and will be available from May for 59.99 euros.

75330 Training on Dagobah

With this set we will also receive an even larger diorama in May. Luke Skywalker's Jedi training at Yoda on Dagobah is recreated on a black base of around 50 × 20 studs. Yoda's hut takes up about two thirds of the model. This is made of sand-colored stones and for the first time, true to the original, embraced by a large tree root. There are some gray storage boxes in front of the hut. The other area of the diorama shows the swamp, which is mostly built from 1 × 1 tiles in trans-green.

In addition, the upper right wing of Luke's X-Wing looks angled out of the swamp. The set consists of 1002 parts and will cost 79.99 euros. Yoda, Luke and R2-D2 are included as minifigures. At the base there is a black 2 × 4 tile with the imprint “LEGO Star Wars” and a 2 × 6 tile with the well-known quote from Yoda “Thu. Or do not. There is no try. "

Edited by wesker

As much as we have to remind ourselves that 'LEGO is a toy' on here, I can't help but feel disappointed that half of the wave now seems to be targeted at 'adults'... Two 18+ sets on black bases, two helmets and a UCS set, with 5 system sets, one of which is a microfighter and another that is a battle pack (I'm not having it that a 30EUR set can be called a battle pack, especially with only 166pcs). That feels a bit money-grabby to me. I understand that LEGO is here to make money, but shouldn't they be selling primarily toys, not collector kits?

Edited by TeddytheSpoon

30 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

As much as we have to remind ourselves that 'LEGO is a toy' on here, I can't help but feel disappointed that half of the wave now seems to be targeted at 'adults'... Two 18+ sets on black bases, two helmets and a UCS set, with 5 system sets, one of which is a microfighter and another that is a battle pack (I'm not having it that a 30EUR set can be called a battle pack, especially with only 166pcs). That feels a bit money-grabby to me. I understand that LEGO is here to make money, but shouldn't they be selling primarily toys, not collector kits?

I think it's good what they're doing. Their market of star wars has been saturated with all the rehashes possible, and its kinda a quiet period of in-between series/new stuff for star wars. What with there being an absolute enormous offering of other themed toy sets aimed at kids, it's almost like they've gone 'OK, we've done most of what we can, let's give the rehashes a break and give the adults a bit of time'. 

While I might not be able to afford all the ones I'd like, I think it's great they're giving afols their moment. Let's be honest, parents gonna breath a sigh of relief, kids will have plenty else to choose from, and afols gonna be happy. 

I'm not sure how this could be construed as a bad thing by any stretch. 

Training on dagobah actually sounds like very good value as well, certainly can't knock that. 

Edited by Fuppylodders

So both Yoda training and Death Star sets are 18+ dioramas for a lot of money? Another safe and lazy chiices by LEGO. This also means no confirmed PT sets in first half of 22. Should I even act surprised?

23 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

So both Yoda training and Death Star sets are 18+ dioramas for a lot of money? Another safe and lazy chiices by LEGO. This also means no confirmed PT sets in first half of 22. Should I even act surprised?

I'm not sure why you think they're 'safe and lazy'?

Personally I'm really looking forward to a top-end version of Dagobah for the first time in 22-odd years - it could be exceptional!  Hopefully LEGO will eventually release some further PT sets at some point but it's pretty evident that there isn't much demand for most Episode I sets in particular, and in light of the near-backlash in regard to the UCS Gunship I can understand any possible reluctance to visit them again in the near future.  There's only a limited number of sets they can produce at any one time; they can't please everyone.

55 minutes ago, Fuppylodders said:

I think it's good what they're doing. Their market of star wars has been saturated with all the rehashes possible, and its kinda a quiet period of in-between series/new stuff for star wars. What with there being an absolute enormous offering of other themed toy sets aimed at kids, it's almost like they've gone 'OK, we've done most of what we can, let's give the rehashes a break and give the adults a bit of time'. 

While I might not be able to afford all the ones I'd like, I think it's great they're giving afols their moment. Let's be honest, parents gonna breath a sigh of relief, kids will have plenty else to choose from, and afols gonna be happy. 

I'm not sure how this could be construed as a bad thing by any stretch. 

Training on dagobah actually sounds like very good value as well, certainly can't knock that. 

True, I guess if they are going to do it, at least they're keeping the system sets at the lower end of the price scale. Maybe it's better to say I'm apprehensive, and part of it will come as treating this as one wave when it's more like three (I presume it'll be system sets in January, helmets and UCS in May, and I saw someone [I think Falconfan?] suggest the BoBF set wouldn't be until June). I'll probably change my mind when the set pictures show up - the Dagobah set does sound interesting, for sure.

Very disappointed to hear that those two sets are OT rehashes after all without a single new minifig :sad: Them being dioramas doesn’t make them any more interesting, still the same old stuff :tongue:

Unless they went all-out with the TBOBF stuff, looks like another very cheaply produced wave 

4 minutes ago, Lobot said:

Hopefully LEGO will eventually release some further PT sets at some point but it's pretty evident that there isn't much demand for most Episode I sets in particular

I beg to differ. A properly done MTT or Royal Nubian Starship are some heavily requested things out there. Also you can't get more safe than by putting out a Naboo starfighter every now and then. I think we're due for a remake at this point. Not to mention all of the characters such as Shmi, Boss Nass and Padme's million outfits. Put a different Queen Amidala minifigure in some Naboo diorama and I'm sure it'll sell like hot cakes. I might be biased because TPM is my favorite one but there clearly is demand for the sets.

As for the rumors, I am really excited about Dagobah. Don't have the old versions so hearing they're doing a proper movie accurate scene makes me really happy.

But where are The Bad Batch sets though? :sceptic:

37 minutes ago, Lobot said:

I'm not sure why you think they're 'safe and lazy'?

Personally I'm really looking forward to a top-end version of Dagobah for the first time in 22-odd years - it could be exceptional!  Hopefully LEGO will eventually release some further PT sets at some point but it's pretty evident that there isn't much demand for most Episode I sets in particular, and in light of the near-backlash in regard to the UCS Gunship I can understand any possible reluctance to visit them again in the near future.  There's only a limited number of sets they can produce at any one time; they can't please everyone.

Simply put we got a very good Dagobah set a few years ago, and I don't see the reason to make a bigger version without making it substantially different.

46 minutes ago, benderisgreat said:

Simply put we got a very good Dagobah set a few years ago, and I don't see the reason to make a bigger version without making it substantially different.

It does sound substantially different. It sounds like a more realistic depiction of a scene and a representation of the hut which I feel we have been missing. None of the huts to date have accurately represented what it looks like in the film, I feel. So I can see the *need* (such as it is) for this set, but I do agree that it would have been better to get something new.

Edited by ginja
Spelling

21 minutes ago, ginja said:

It does sound substantially different. It sounds like a more realistic depiction of a scene and a representation of the hut which I feel we have been missing. None of the huts to date have accurately represented what it looks like in the film, I feel. So I can see the *need* (such as it is) for this set, but I do agree that it would have been better to get something new.

Indeed. The dioramas are going to be lovely models, no doubt about that, but the minifig selection is just so face-numbingly BORING. Seriously, after more than 20 years of collecting I have more Lukes, Hans, Leia's, Chewies, R2s, 3POs, Vaders, and Yodas than I have Stormies or Clones :tongue: I can build a coffee table out of them!

Surprised by people's reactions about the 18+ dioramas. I remember that people have been asking for this type of sets for years - detailed, movie-accurate display pieces that aren't aimed towards children as they don't have any play functions. And now that we're actually getting them, people think they are 'lazy' and 'boring'? I don't get it.

I, on the other hand, am crazily hyped for those sets. I've wanted dioramas like those for years, I even remember specifically writing how much I want those. Square-Ish black bases with a 'LEGO Star Wars' tile and even a quote tile? That's an amazing idea!

Garbage Compactor doesn't sound that exciting tbh tho, I think they could've chosen a more interesting ANH location. Nevertheless, I want to see how they execute it.

Dagobah Training sounds absolutely incredible tho. 20x50 base is huge, I can't wait to see how they handle it. Detailed Yoda's Hut with a tree for the 1st time? A swamp with X-Wing's... wing? I don't even know why, but that makes me feel so excited. The piece count is also amazing with over 1000 pieces in an 80€ set.

If my budget allows me, I'll definitely get one of those sets, probably the Dagobah one.

Honestly, these sets sound like they could be really nice. While the minifig selection isn't anything to write home about, it's also the minifigs that make sense for the scenes, so it's not like they could have really done anything else, and who knows- maybe we'll get some nice variants from these sets (I could see them giving us a new Luke for the trash compactor to represent his and Han's dirty stormtrooper armor and Luke's attack by the Diagona. I could also see a nice R2 with printing for the swamp. 

These should honestly be really nice, and I'm hoping that LEGO continues the trend of nicer sets like these and makes good displays. 

Edited by NoOneOfImportance

Wow, that Dagobah Training set sounds phenomenal! A detailed and involved build is something to get very excited over, especially given the large size of the model. The Trash Compactor sounds okay, not the most interesting choice but you can see why Lego would spring for that.

Kudos to Lego for finally overcoming their fear of adapting new media and assigning the first two TBoBF sets relatively high price points, guess they learned from the success of The Mandalorian. Not sure if I’m a fan of the staggered release schedule so far for next year, but at least it’ll give everyone’s wallets some breathing room.

My only qualm with this wave (outside of under-representation for the Prequels) is the lack of more Bad Batch sets. Rex’s Y-Wing would be a dream come true, I just love the design, but alas it doesn’t seem to be a priority. 

I’m sure the summer wave is going to be something really special. Can’t imagine we won’t get substantial sets from Kenobi and Andor.

4 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Honestly, what minifigs would people expect in those dioramas? It's not like they can do much more from the OG trilogy. 

About 3-4 months ago Lego was talking about the desire to make transparent minifigures for Star Wars. Personally i expected a figure of Obi Wan like this in Dagobah Training set

20 minutes ago, THELEGOBATMAN said:

Honestly, what minifigs would people expect in those dioramas? It's not like they can do much more from the OG trilogy. 

Yes, which is EXACTLY why I’m fed up with the barrage of OT sets every year :tongue: There’s so much stuff they still haven’t touched yet across all three eras but nope, OT remakes until the banthas come home :shrug_confused: I now OT sets sell, but is SOME balance between the eras really that much to ask for? Not a single PT, TCW, BB, ST, RO, or Solo set in sight. AGAIN.

The only sets that save this wave for me are the Darktrooper “BP” and the two TBOBF sets, and we have no idea yet if anything new is even included in the latter. My expectations for the accessory packs are low too, probably Luke, 3PO, Obi, and R2 in one pack and Luke, Han, Leia, and Chewy in the other :snicker: 

Edited by BrickBob Studpants

I wasn't too interested in these, but the more I read about the Dagobah set the more hooked I became. Quite excited to see how that turns out. It's nice that we're getting more proper location sets that aren't just the bare bones huts (not that there's anything wrong with those of course - I love them too!) 

For me personally, I have no interest in any of the 18+ sets. Since I already own the 2016 Death Star which did the Trash Compactor just fine, I have no interest in it. Same with Yoda’s Hut, I already own the $30 version and paired it with the X Wing that came out that same year. The only thing that would convince me otherwise would be having the cave but there’s no Vader so that’s unlikely. Also kinda dumb to have the “do or do not” quote without the X Wing is trying to lift. But that’s just my take on it. I’ll still buy the Death Trooper packs, The Mandalorian sets have been killer.

Edited by RODDY