Feuer Zug

OcTRAINber 2021 - WIP story

2 hours ago, XG BC said:

tried your suggestion worked perfectly thank you very much!

next prototype for octaintober

next up is improving the looks of the headlights and general detailing.

Nice work! :wub: The "hand" as door handle is a good idea!!!

I've finally completed to draw back in Stud.io what I built yesterday evening, so it's time to unveil the body of the locomotive.

These are the parts used for building the body: front end, rear end, hoods, sides and roof:

Octrainber 2021 - Spielzeug Lokomotive - Body Parts

As you can see I'm at a "papercraft" level, so windows are black like if they were designed on paper over the body. I wanted them not transparent since I saw an old wooden toy. After all, there's nothing to look at inside! :laugh:

I tried to leave the windows "open" but believe me, it was terrible.

Here's the final assembly of chassis + body (front view):

Octrainber 2021 - Spielzeug Lokomotive - Complete Assembly

And this is the rear view (do you spot any differences? NO? You're right, after all) :

Octrainber 2021 - Spielzeug Lokomotive - Complete Assembly

The rear "lights" at least help to remember you to where the driven axle is. 

Currently the locomotive is yellow and black, but tomorrow I'll order the blue and gray parts.

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

Some pictures of the real thing!

Octrainber 2021 - Spielzeug Lokomotive - Mock-up Yellow Body

Just for fun, I discovered that I built a papercraft model in Lego!!! Just fold it and use glue! :head_back:

Roof can be opened like a coffee-pot. This is the result of thinking to a Lego MOC during breakfast.

Is it useful? I don't know, maybe yes, maybe not. I have still to think about it.

Parts for blue body were just ordered on BL , let's hope these will be received in time!!! Otherwise I'll have to present the yellow one.

Ciao!

Davide

9 minutes ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Some pictures of the real thing!

Just for fun, I discovered that I built a papercraft model in Lego!!! Just fold it and use glue! :head_back:

Roof can be opened like a coffee-pot. This is the result of thinking to a Lego MOC during breakfast.

Is it useful? I don't know, maybe yes, maybe not. I have still to think about it.

Parts for blue body were just ordered on BL , let's hope these will be received in time!!! Otherwise I'll have to present the yellow one.

Ciao!

Davide

aww it looks so cute! the real life model looks even nicer than the renders! awesome work

Fantastic work. The folding aspect is a fortuitous creation. It looks good built, but showing it flat just makes it that more special.

the next steps towards the final model are done!

next step of the way!

i have added some detail/ improved a few things like the snowplough and headlight fixtures. i also added the grills/cooling vents on the sides however i dont like the way the ones on the rear hoods look like. the original are taller but still in the same place

Edited by XG BC

2 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

The Ikea locomotive, ships flat to save $$$, with easy assembly that only requires a few pins

..and available in different colors too! :laugh:

1 hour ago, XG BC said:

the next steps towards the final model are done!

next step of the way!

i have added some detail/ improved a few things like the snowplough and headlight fixtures. i also added the grills/cooling vents on the sides however i dont like the way the ones on the rear hoods look like the original are taller but still in the same place

Good work! Details really add complexity, now! :sweet:

I did wonder why you had both combined your discussions, but now I see the progress you've been making it makes perfect sense now.

That's a lovely pair of steeple-cabs you're creating there. I find it interesting how you've taken very different approaches to building to versions of what are essentially the same locomotive. It's a fantastic contrast in the pursuit of your aims. Keep up the good work. 

19 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

I did wonder why you had both combined your discussions, but now I see the progress you've been making it makes perfect sense now.

That's a lovely pair of steeple-cabs you're creating there. I find it interesting how you've taken very different approaches to building to versions of what are essentially the same locomotive. It's a fantastic contrast in the pursuit of your aims. Keep up the good work. 

first paperinik77 joined feuer zugs discussion and i saw what he was building and i wanted to build essentially the same loco for years in proper form because the first loco i built with lego was the same one although not very good and detailed. so i thought to myself lets try and do it now!

my latest progress:

rear hood vent redesign

i redesigned the rear hood to include a more prototypical hood although i still need to improve the design to remove the gaps from it.

edit:did some more designing (a snot nightmare!) now it is just a half plate gap of air to fill.

just a small gap...

lets see how long that half plate gap will haunt me...

Edited by XG BC

On 10/12/2021 at 9:23 PM, Hod Carrier said:

Ciao! This teorically is the thread corresponding to the WIP topic in BMR Octrainber group on Flickr.

In fact I've a specific thread for the Spielzeug, (same as the "entry" topic in BMR). For the moment I'm posting here my progress, then I'll sum up the most interesting photos/videos/renders inside that thread. I stopped working on the Spielzeug, since I'm waiting for parts.

The two E69s fit nicely together!:wub:

For the moment I'm following a new work for the MOW topic (it was not planned, but it's a cool topic - and I'll try to do something)! 

Just to give an idea:

Octrainber 2021 - MOW Fiat 500 "Draisina" plan

I think that with 21HP from Fiat 499,5cc engine I'm really in the "barely moving" MOW vehicles league :wub:. It's minifig scale and I hope to succeed in motorizing it. Shape is quite ready, now time for the chassis (I know normally it should be the opposite way, but I've to understand what could fit inside it) !:laugh:

Edited by Paperinik77pk

here is a quick comparison between the current moc and the moc i did all those years ago as a kid! as you can see the new one is a lot bigger and closer to the original but the old moc has some toy like charm!

comparison first attempt vs current

On 10/13/2021 at 11:05 AM, Paperinik77pk said:

Ciao! This teorically is the thread corresponding to the WIP topic in BMR Octrainber group on Flickr.

In fact I've a specific thread for the Spielzeug, (same as the "entry" topic in BMR). For the moment I'm posting here my progress, then I'll sum up the most interesting photos/videos/renders inside that thread. I stopped working on the Spielzeug, since I'm waiting for parts.

The two E69s fit nicely together!:wub:

For the moment I'm following a new work for the MOW topic (it was not planned, but it's a cool topic - and I'll try to do something)! 

Just to give an idea:

I think that with 21HP from Fiat 499,5cc engine I'm really in the "barely moving" MOW vehicles league :wub:. It's minifig scale and I hope to succeed in motorizing it. Shape is quite ready, now time for the chassis (I know normally it should be the opposite way, but I've to understand what could fit inside it) !:laugh:

Paperinik77pk, your Fiat MoW inspection car is perfect for a European railway scene a few decades ago. Can't wait to see how you build it with a motor inside.

1 hour ago, Feuer Zug said:

Paperinik77pk, your Fiat MoW inspection car is perfect for a European railway scene a few decades ago. Can't wait to see how you build it with a motor inside.

...If it fits :hmpf: - but the belt transmission may be again useful :look:

The problem now is having suitable wheels, so I'm Tinkering the smallest Lego wheels to have an axle hole, then the Circuit Cubes motor could be the right choice. The battery will be a problem I still have to think of! :wall:

This little things, luckily, are still alive and currently a good restore project for many volunteers (they are small and easy to move on and off tracks - basically they can be stored in a normal garage and transported by small tow trucks).

There's plenty of new parts for the Fiat 500 engine (the draisine is using the flat one of the 500 "Giardiniera" - the wagon version -  which is different from the normal 500 engine) and parts for restoring the two van "noses" are now produced again for the vintage vehicles market. The rest is really easy to fix or reproduce.

I hope to have a render soon!

Hi all, here's an update on the Fiat 500 "Draisina" :sweet:

First the real thing:

FBS_B_120.004_Palazzolo_sull_Oglio_20140

and then, my (poor) rendition :laugh::

Octrainber 2021 - Fiat 500 Draisina

Being in minifig's scale, it's 4-wide, since the real van is smaller than 1435mm at the front, and becomes 1438mm in the central part of body. The 500 Draisina keeps the overall width of the "nose", therefore is smaller than 1435mm. So, wheels just pop out of the body and are covered by small mudguards (which for the moment I'm still investigating how to reproduce - but there are not so much choices at this scale).

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk
I still pretend to write in English!!!

Hi all, being on holiday today, I've some time to work on my little Fiat 500 "Draisina".

Here's the mockup of the chassis, featuring the second Circuit Cubes motor (the other one is inside the "Spielzeug Lokomotive"):

Octrainber 2021 - Fiat 500 Draisina - Motor

Same twisted belt transmission , two wheel drive - I believe the small wheels will need something to increase traction. I was thinking about thermo-restricting bands used in electronics, since are made in thin rubber.:sweet:

The "gauge" must surely be adjusted to fit the Lego track. I feel these little wheels are a bit too near to the chassis, but without the real ones I cannot tell.:hmpf:

3D printing time! :thumbup:

Edited by Paperinik77pk

On 10/14/2021 at 9:20 PM, Paperinik77pk said:

Hi all, here's an update on the Fiat 500 "Draisina" :sweet:

First the real thing:

FBS_B_120.004_Palazzolo_sull_Oglio_20140

and then, my (poor) rendition :laugh::

Octrainber 2021 - Fiat 500 Draisina

Being in minifig's scale, it's 4-wide, since the real van is smaller than 1435mm at the front, and becomes 1438mm in the central part of body. The 500 Draisina keeps the overall width of the "nose", therefore is smaller than 1435mm. So, wheels just pop out of the body and are covered by small mudguards (which for the moment I'm still investigating how to reproduce - but there are not so much choices at this scale).

Ciao!

Davide

looks pretty good!

So, I finally began to have something solid to perform my tests:

Octrainber 2021 - Fiat 500 "Draisina"

His name is Giovanni Giorgio, but everyone calls him...it depends on which side you're looking, being a two-headed vehicle. This is Giovanni. All my respect to mr. Moroder, who helped me to make my daughter fall asleep with his music, 12 years ago!!! :angel_sing:

The little draisine will have a real-looking face, but the "Cars" face is not bad at all.

3D printed  wheels were abandoned , since I tried to adapt the small Lego wheels to the axle, drilling them with a small driller and two torx heads (T20 before and T25 after - insisting a bit). Then a small 3l axle can be hammered (geeeeeeeeeeeeeently!!!) inside the wheel.

Now the real fun begins, since I need to find a suitable battery to move this thing and something to increase traction. The Lego wheels are shiny and smooth, and slippery as hell.

In the meantime I prepared the final design, and ordered the needed parts.

Windscreens and windows are now "trans-black". Here below, an "exploded" view, showing the inside of the body - it could change a bit for better hosting the battery, but externally it will remain the same.

Hope you like it! 

Ciao!

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk
I distributed some commas here and there...

6 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Now the real fun begins, since I need to find a suitable battery to move this thing and something to increase traction. The Lego wheels are shiny and smooth, and slippery as hell.

In the meantime I prepared the final design, and ordered the needed parts.

Windscreens and windows are now "trans-black". Here below, an "exploded" view, showing the inside of the body - it could change a bit for better hosting the battery, but externally it will remain the same.

Hope you like it! 

Ciao!

Davide

nice progress there! for the baztery depending on the voltage these things need and what controll sceme you want there are two options: a single cell lipo (dangerous without proper cutoff circuit as they dont like overdischarge and may or may not catch fire in the process), one or two button cells or triple a batteries should fit aswell however that depends on the lenght of the space inside your cute mow vehicle

Small, smaller, Fiat 500 ;-)

the little one is cuddly. Maybe you can make the wheel arches even "rounder", because I find the angular currently not so suitable. But yes, first build in the size...

Thomas

16 hours ago, XG BC said:

nice progress there! for the baztery depending on the voltage these things need and what controll sceme you want there are two options: a single cell lipo (dangerous without proper cutoff circuit as they dont like overdischarge and may or may not catch fire in the process), one or two button cells or triple a batteries should fit aswell however that depends on the lenght of the space inside your cute mow vehicle

Thanks for the suggestion on LiPo!  I do not know them too much. I saw some offers , but all are shipped in three weeks. So I had to consider other choices,  like the 3V CR123A or a pair of CR2430, reaching 6V (and overvolting a bit the little motor) to give a bit more "sprint" to the 500. I thought also to use the 9V Mini Motor with a small 12v battery but in the end it required more space than the Circuit Cubes one! 

How's the E69 going? :wub:

2 hours ago, Ts__ said:

Small, smaller, Fiat 500 ;-)

the little one is cuddly. Maybe you can make the wheel arches even "rounder", because I find the angular currently not so suitable. But yes, first build in the size...

Thomas

Thanks Thomas!

You're right, these fenders are not good looking as the original ones. The Lego standard parts are invading the internal or are just too big!:damn:

The only good part that could fit is the old 70s "rounded" mud guard, in yellow and sawed in half! Not an option Id' follow :innocent2:...

...but I considered it :devil_laugh: :laugh:

59 minutes ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Thanks for the suggestion on LiPo!  I do not know them too much. I saw some offers , but all are shipped in three weeks. So I had to consider other choices,  like the 3V CR123A or a pair of CR2430, reaching 6V (and overvolting a bit the little motor) to give a bit more "sprint" to the 500. I thought also to use the 9V Mini Motor with a small 12v battery but in the end it required more space than the Circuit Cubes one! 

How's the E69 going? :wub:

lipos are a bit dangerous if you dont know what you are doing so id soggest the coin cells as they are small light and fairly safe to use without additional circuitry as for the e 69 havent had a lot of time to work on it and i am still struggling on the half plate gap

edit: did some more thinkering with it right now and my first attempt was this:

reduced the gap

whith this iteration i reduced the gap between the bricks to about a quarter of a plate though one brick wasnt held on atall and had would rattle around because of the air gaps around it. so i finaly caved in and stopped trying to do the half snotted hood and this eliminated the gap!

rear hood done

next up will be trying to make the roof electrical equipment look more prototypical and just general detailing

Edited by XG BC
did some more work today

On 10/16/2021 at 11:14 PM, XG BC said:

one or two button cells or triple a batteries should fit aswell however that depends on the lenght of the space inside your cute mow vehicle

I'll try with two 2025 (just bought them) in series, but also bigger "button batteries" are fitting inside - they won't last long but at least it will move! :classic:

The new "standard" nose on the E69 seems better!

Ciao (and thanks for the "cute mow" compliment - Giovanni Giorgio is happy!) :laugh: 

Davide

Edited by Paperinik77pk

On 10/16/2021 at 4:24 PM, Paperinik77pk said:

mr. Moroder, who helped me to make my daughter fall asleep with his music

Don't know whether this is really a compliment... :wink:

That Fiat Draisina is wonderful! :wub:
Almost makes me want to transfer it to 1:33...
As for the mudguards: Would sausages work? They are available in bright light orange, which comes very close to yellow.

I once built a Klv 12 (unpublished here, as I was not completely satisfied with the result). It also had a belt drive, and this slipped really ALL of the time. So I converted it to a chain drive soon. I keep my fingers crossed that your belt drive works better!

25 minutes ago, Tenderlok said:

Don't know whether this is really a compliment... :wink:

That Fiat Draisina is wonderful! :wub:
Almost makes me want to transfer it to 1:33...
As for the mudguards: Would sausages work? They are available in bright light orange, which comes very close to yellow.

I once built a Klv 12 (unpublished here, as I was not completely satisfied with the result). It also had a belt drive, and this slipped really ALL of the time. So I converted it to a chain drive soon. I keep my fingers crossed that your belt drive works better!

Thanks Sven!!!

It's an idea that passed in my head too - let's see - with bigger scale there's more possibilities to better render some details!

I passed all the evening  to find a suitable solution, but modern mudguards are too big and sometimes not available in yellow. Curved bricks are too thick, and there's no room to play with brackets. Beleieve me, it is the first time I rage quitted the Stud.io, with a not a very polite (and purely Italian) salute.:damn:

I did not think about sausages, I will give them a try (THANKS)!!!.Otherwise there's always the assassin way - modding (by cutting in half) two of my old round mudguards. But sincerely I'd prefer a clean solution.

The belt is working properly (there's not too much weight to move after all, but wheels are really slippery and the draisine will need some weight on its back (or front :wacko:) to increase traction. I've a drifting 500 on rails! 

P.s.

About Moroder - I really thank him any time (together with Alan Parsons Project and Tangerine Dream)!!! The repetitive sounds were somehow relaxing. After all, also trains make  quite a repetitive sou....RRRRROOOONF! :laugh_hard: