Sign in to follow this  
Endgame

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars - Mission #6: We Now Interrupt This Broadcast

16 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Valesia accepts the credits with a nod of gratitude, "I'm glad I could be of help. Now, I probably should be returning to my companions. We've got to make for an old submarine due South of here, you wouldn't know anything about the area by chance would you?"

y1rp7SB.png

"The derelict? Ah. A bit. It sunk before the Gate Collapse, not after, and got revealed when the oceans got blasted away. It used to be home to another small settlement. However, scrappers came and picked the sub dry, and just like that, those people lost their home. We took in a few years and years back, and the rest just wandered off into the wastes... Nowadays, the place is only home to Enchidira. One of the more persistent desert pests.

Do you want me to show you back to your group, now? They might still be waiting for you."

14 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Most cults die out with the leader, kind of impressive they 'pparently just got stronger.

rDx8QVz.png

"This one started well after he died. I guess getting vaporized in the hugest explosion since the Big Bang makes you a martyr or something."

38 minutes ago, Endgame said:

y1rp7SB.png

"The derelict? Ah. A bit. It sunk before the Gate Collapse, not after, and got revealed when the oceans got blasted away. It used to be home to another small settlement. However, scrappers came and picked the sub dry, and just like that, those people lost their home. We took in a few years and years back, and the rest just wandered off into the wastes... Nowadays, the place is only home to Enchidira. One of the more persistent desert pests.

Do you want me to show you back to your group, now? They might still be waiting for you."

"That would be appreciated, thank you. Perhaps you can tell me about this Enchidira while we walk, it it some sort of creature?"

17 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Most cults die out with the leader, kind of impressive they 'pparently just got stronger.

"Well i suppose they can have some leader who leads them as a stand in for Invictus"

22 hours ago, Endgame said:

rDx8QVz.png

"This one started well after he died. I guess getting vaporized in the hugest explosion since the Big Bang makes you a martyr or something."

I wouldn't know. 'Hope I never have to, I guess.

You said this static sounded like something from these Conquerers, though?

19 hours ago, Alix said:

"Well i suppose they can have some leader who leads them as a stand in for Invictus"

It can't be that hard to imitate a machine, I suppose.

On 11/4/2021 at 5:36 PM, Waterbrick Down said:

"That would be appreciated, thank you. Perhaps you can tell me about this Enchidira while we walk, it it some sort of creature?"

y1rp7SB.png
"The Enchidira are a... they used to be sea-faring creatures, actually, I think. Some of the science people we managed to retain tried explaining this to me once and it went right over my head. Jellyfish looking things. Not fun to deal with. I hear they hate the cold, though."

On 11/4/2021 at 7:53 PM, Alix said:

rDx8QVz.png

"They gotta have something. Right? If someone wasn't calling the shots they would've collapsed by now..."

5 hours ago, The Legonater said:

I wouldn't know. 'Hope I never have to, I guess.

You said this static sounded like something from these Conquerers, though?

It can't be that hard to imitate a machine, I suppose.

rDx8QVz.png

"It sounded like Invictus himself. Whenever we managed to get a holoscreen working once in a blue moon, before the weather knocks out the signal again, sometimes you see a documentary on the war and the Gate Collapse or whatever. Especially around this time of the cycle when we're right around the Day of Desolation. You see the footage, you hear about the stories... One round from his arm cannon and he managed to shoot down two ships, or so they say. Guy's a damn urban legend at this point.

Yeah, I'm rambling. Point is, sounded like him, and those Conqueror's Kin oddballs like to play his static. They think it'll bring him back from the dead or whatever."

Aileen and Valesia arrive on the scene.

y1rp7SB.png

"You're free to enter. Cause no trouble. ...And, thank you again for your services."

The party finally gets to drive through the gate, and the transponder on the dashboard soon starts pinging madly, indicating that this was the spot to set up.

LvKnYkj.png

It was a dusty little corner of Vurenia. Some sort of water refill station. An older woman and a young child walked up to the guard and presented some sort of papers before the armed man stepped aside, allowing them entry. They fill their water jugs and start to depart as the party manages to prop up and turn on the first antenna.

YFQbt81.png

"...I am... Paragon... was... he..."

The signal was getting clearer. One of two antennas was erected! Was the party ready to head South to the derelict, or did they have other business to attend to?

2 hours ago, Endgame said:

y1rp7SB.png
"The Enchidira are a... they used to be sea-faring creatures, actually, I think. Some of the science people we managed to retain tried explaining this to me once and it went right over my head. Jellyfish looking things. Not fun to deal with. I hear they hate the cold, though."

"Interesting, we'll have to be on the lookout."

2 hours ago, Endgame said:

YFQbt81.png

"...I am... Paragon... was... he..."

The signal was getting clearer. One of two antennas was erected! Was the party ready to head South to the derelict, or did they have other business to attend to?

Valesia rejoins her companions and shakes her head. "Still doesn't make much sense does it? Well, I've got a little info on our next location, apparently it's being guarded by some cold-adverse critters. By the way did anyone catch anything else about that Blastball thing? Sounded a bit intriguing don't you reckon?"

1 hour ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Valesia rejoins her companions and shakes her head. "Still doesn't make much sense does it? Well, I've got a little info on our next location, apparently it's being guarded by some cold-adverse critters. By the way did anyone catch anything else about that Blastball thing? Sounded a bit intriguing don't you reckon?"

Blastball? Didn't quite pique my interest. The guard did tell us about some cult that's still following Invictus, trying to raise him from the dead or something like that. 'Feels like a bad omen for our objective. 

19 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Blastball? Didn't quite pique my interest. The guard did tell us about some cult that's still following Invictus, trying to raise him from the dead or something like that. 'Feels like a bad omen for our objective. 

"It really does. Makes the ritual explanation for those strange signals ever more likely."

20 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Still doesn't make much sense does it? Well, I've got a little info on our next location, apparently it's being guarded by some By the way did anyone catch anything else about that Blastball thing? Sounded a bit intriguing don't you reckon?"

"Good work, atleast we know what we're facing. Sadly i didn't catch anything about blastball, but perhaps the library back at Ebria Station has something on it?"

Edited by Alix

Their business in Vurenia concluded and the mythos of Invictus looming large, the party returns to their skiff (now lighter and driving faster, without the weight of one of the antennas weighing the skiff down!) and drive South towards the Sunken Derelict.

It takes about an hour, but the agents soon find their next stop. The green light on the dashboard of the skiff was already pinging rapidly, indicating that this was an acceptable spot to place down the antenna, but taking in the scenery, something about the derelict seemed odd...

k2iZx3O.png

The massive sunken submarine was now caked in sand and dirt, tipping slightly towards the party. The yawning structure creaked and moaned as if it may tip over and capsize at any moment, but in truth, it had been like that for years - ever since the Gate Collapse blew the oceans sky high. There was clearly some patchwork repairs done, likely done by wastelanders who used to live there, but the most striking feature was the giant hole in the side of the submarine, that pierced it from one side of the hull to the other. Something about it looked odd, but it was hard to tell at the current distance.

Above the sounds of metallic decay and desert winds was the sharp noise of blaster fire from within the derelict. Just one, going off over and over, with nobody and nothing firing back...

Another point of notice was the speeder bike parked next to the Skiff.

kXRgprz.png

Just at a glance, before any major inspection, the bike looked rather kitted out and well maintained.

What would the agents do?

Valesia meditates on the drive to their next destination. Upon arrival she glances at her companions, "Well that doesn't sound like a warm welcome. Anybody recognize that piece of tech? Seems like a fancy bike to have out and about in the wastelands."

12 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Valesia meditates on the drive to their next destination. Upon arrival she glances at her companions, "Well that doesn't sound like a warm welcome. Anybody recognize that piece of tech? Seems like a fancy bike to have out and about in the wastelands."

Soren, with his awareness of piloting, trying to gain insight as to who might own a speeder like this and where it might come from.

Run this check however you feel but I figured both skills might be relevant. :laugh:

'Looks like the sort of place someone might hole out in. Out of the way, secured, that constant blaster fire could be a good security system, or at the very least a deterrent. 

7 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Soren, with his awareness of piloting, trying to gain insight as to who might own a speeder like this and where it might come from.

Run this check however you feel but I figured both skills might be relevant. :laugh:

'Looks like the sort of place someone might hole out in. Out of the way, secured, that constant blaster fire could be a good security system, or at the very least a deterrent. 

Soren walks up to speeder bike, and recognizing the manufacturer from his knowledge of piloting, (5, 5, 4, 6, 3) 4 successes vs DC 1, success knows were to look on the chassis for the manufacturer information.

Sure enough, on a small plate underneath the fuselage, was some engraved text identifying this speeder as the property of the Savior City police force. The bike even bore the force's insignia. It was strange, seeing someone from the Force so far removed from the city... The blaster fire from inside the derelict continues, the pace picking up. Something was going on here.

41 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"I'm guessing we better check out that blaster fire." Valesia looks at her companions before heading for the submersible.

Be careful 'bout it. This is local police speeder, no idea why it's all the way out here. I feel like this is some sort of trap.

16 hours ago, The Legonater said:

"Or there might be some conflict in there right now. Which would give us the chance to get in unnoticed."

1 hour ago, The Legonater said:

Be careful 'bout it. This is local police speeder, no idea why it's all the way out here. I feel like this is some sort of trap.

"Let's be on our guard then" Max said heading for the submersible right after Valesia.

Walking away from the skiff and the speeder bike, the party makes their way into the derelict submarine.

3 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Soren follows behind, gun drawn, eyes out for a trap.

Keeping his wits about him, Soren scans across the sandy horizon, and takes a glance at every nook and cranny on the facade of the land-locked submersible.

Soren Insight Check: (1, 1, 6, 4) vs DC 2: 2 successes, check met.

But no matter where he looked or scrutinized, Soren could not find any recent attempts at deliberate manmade sabotage. The submarine's every bolt and rivet groaned and shuddered under the desert wind, and that made it unsafe, true... But as far as the agent could tell there were no traps laid.

But there were points of interest. Walking through the breach in the submarine's hull, something about the wall was odd:

XeR2kcj.png

Whatever punched a hole in the submarine did something very odd to the surrounding metal panels. The inner wall of the submarine was scorched in a strange checkerboard pattern, some patches of metal singed black, others burnt into a gleaming silver.  Judging by the strangeness of the burn patterns to the proximity of the breach, the two appeared to be related.

Walking into the submarine and funneled down a narrow passage, the party eventually finds themselves in a room with empty fuel cells on the wall. The metal floors of the submarine had collapsed and partially sunk into the sand, every step the party was taking kicking up plumes of sand in the confined husk of the submarine.

The fuel cells displayed a similar oddity:

qmkF7DG.png

Instead of being leaky, corroded, partially full, or shattered, they were totally empty. Burnt into the glass casing of the submarine's fuel cells was the similar checkerboard static pattern seen burnt into the wall by the breach. In the sand in the room, the faint outlines of a single set footprints remained. And in the near distance, the sound of a blaster firing and creatures hissing echoed through the derelict's tinny passageways. Whatever was making the noise, it was close.

What would the party do?

Soren rubs a gloved finger across the checkerboard pattern burned in the wall, trying to gain insight as to what the source might be. Blasterfire? Something stronger? More robotic?

1 hour ago, The Legonater said:

Soren rubs a gloved finger across the checkerboard pattern burned in the wall, trying to gain insight as to what the source might be. Blasterfire? Something stronger? More robotic?

Soren Insight Check: (5, 2, 5, 6) vs DC 3: 3 successes, check met.

Running his hands along the wall, Soren can just barely feel a fine grain that ran across the scorched metal surface, spanning horizontally across, running from the outside in. The entire checkered panel of wall, and indeed the rest of the metal surrounding the breach, had the exact same grain, weathered on top of the absolutely bizarre scorch pattern. The scorch patterns themselves suggested something akin to blaster fire, and the shared grain implied that whatever breached the this submarine and sunk it all those years ago... was a single shot directly to the hull, leaving the strange burn marks in its wake.

Valesia hurried toward the blaster fire, "It sounds like someone's stirred up a whole mess of trouble, here's hoping they don't go dying on us too soon."

16 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Valesia hurried toward the blaster fire, "It sounds like someone's stirred up a whole mess of trouble, here's hoping they don't go dying on us too soon."

"Let's just try to see what we're getting ourselves into before taking any sides. We might not know who in there are hostile to us." Max said still following the Cladrasith.

Valesia and Max press forward, ducking under a few loose pipes to round the corner as Soren completes his inspection of the scorch marks. There, they see the source of all of the blaster fire and ruckus...

7gBIeih.png

An O'Kor'Uk in Savior City Police uniform was cornered, desperately trying to fend off a pack of creatures. Judging by the appearance of a few of them, it must've been the Enchidira that Aileen had spoken of. Fanged, gelatinous creatures, drifting through the air like helium balloons... Before lunging, fangs bared, with surprising speed. The police officer was managing to remain largely unscathed, but was strafing with a noticeable hobble. The muzzle of his blaster was steaming, adding more certainty to just where the sound of gunfire was coming from.

He was in danger, but hadn't noticed either of the agents yet. What would the party do?

"Enchidira! Careful Max and Soren they're not to be trifled with. They're no fans of cold temperatures, so throw everything you've got at 'em." Valesia rushes into battle attempting to flank the creatures from behind.

Soren sighed a little as Valesia charged in; he wasn't in much a mood to save a cop. But, if those things killed him, they'd probably come after the party next. Might as well take the openings the world gives you. He followed in step behind Valesia.

17 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Enchidira! Careful Max and Soren they're not to be trifled with. They're no fans of cold temperatures, so throw everything you've got at 'em.

"Roger that" Maximilian said turning his weapon's safety off, before following his two comrades into the fray. Despite what the cops represented he could easily sympathize with the man, who knows he could be in there just because his higher ups forced him into it.