Sign in to follow this  
Endgame

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars - Mission #6: We Now Interrupt This Broadcast

4 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Uh-huh - you mentioned in the initial brief that this broadcast we're looking for had 'ominous contents' or something? What exactly does that mean?

OfmyYlh.png
"Ominous contents, well." Glenn pauses, choosing his words carefully. "I've been losing sleep trying to riddle this damn thing out. I put out a bulletin begging ship captains to record the signal if and when they hear it, but, well, it's been hit or miss on accumulating data. I've gotten fragments of words at best from it. My wager is that the signal is one of five things... a cry for help, a warning, a threat, or - and these last two will sound out of place, but I think they might be most likely - a ritual, or a prank."

4 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Well, that must have been what we encountered upon our landing. Any idea if these signals are being broadcast en masse or only to specific targets?"

OfmyYlh.png
"It's en masse. If there's a rhyme or reason to who is getting what signal, it's too complicated for this old brain, I'll tell you that much. They're putting this out for anyone to hear."

1 hour ago, Alix said:

What about the source of the signal, do we know anything about it, besides it coming from the wastelands? 

OfmyYlh.png

"Unfortunately, despite my efforts, no. That is where you folks come in. I plotted and traced out the signal as much as I could, and narrowed it down to a frankly too big swathe of wasteland. Your mission will ential setting up additional broadcast equipment in the wasteland itself. I custom-tuned some antennae to hopefully pick up our mystery signal and nothing but. Long story short, if we get it all set up, we'll be able to triangulate the signal and narrow it down to a 1 mile radius instead of a hundred mile radius. Make sense?"

On 10/8/2021 at 7:16 PM, Endgame said:

OfmyYlh.png
"My wager is that the signal is one of five things... a cry for help, a warning, a threat, or - and these last two will sound out of place, but I think they might be most likely - a ritual, or a prank."

That's... quite a range. A ritual or a prank? I guess we'll hope for the latter.

On 10/8/2021 at 7:16 PM, Endgame said:

OfmyYlh.png

"Unfortunately, despite my efforts, no. That is where you folks come in. I plotted and traced out the signal as much as I could, and narrowed it down to a frankly too big swathe of wasteland. Your mission will ential setting up additional broadcast equipment in the wasteland itself. I custom-tuned some antennae to hopefully pick up our mystery signal and nothing but. Long story short, if we get it all set up, we'll be able to triangulate the signal and narrow it down to a 1 mile radius instead of a hundred mile radius. Make sense?"

Sounds like pretty routine work. 'Pparently my questmates are dumbstruck, but I think I got enough of the details. When do we head out?

Sorry for the delay, been a very chaotic weekend!

On 10/9/2021 at 4:16 AM, Endgame said:

"Hmm, makes sense. Hopefully there won't be any complications."

47 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

That's... quite a range. A ritual or a prank? I guess we'll hope for the latter.

Sounds like pretty routine work. 'Pparently my questmates are dumbstruck, but I think I got enough of the details. When do we head out?

"Color me surprised if this turns out to be a prank. I just can't shake the feeling that this would be far too much work to be put into a prank. Let's still hope it is though. 

And i agree, we have enough details so lets head out."

Edited by Alix

2 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Sorry for the delay, been a very chaotic weekend!

OfmyYlh.png

"If it is a prank it's a very cruel one, but strange, strange people come crawling out of the woodwork around this time of the year every year on Corvanis. I wouldn't put it past some punk squatting in the wastelands who is hiding from the city police, to pull something like this. We at Corvanis Comms have dealt with some weird situations, but never one all the way out in the wastelands like this. And the police force won't lift a damn finger to help. Thus... You people."

2 hours ago, Alix said:

"Hmm, makes sense. Hopefully there won't be any complications."

"Color me surprised if this turns out to be a prank. I just can't shake the feeling that this would be far too much work to be put into a prank. Let's still hope it is though.

OfmyYlh.png
"I share your hopes. And I don't think you're entirely off the mark. But just in case we- hey, son, you gonna be able to stay standing?"

Glenn looks past Maximilian and sees Felix looking unwell. Glenn briefly pulls him aside to talk and then Glenn returns. Just Glenn.

OfmyYlh.png

"Something must've come up for Felix, seemed like he had to go. The pilot droid will be taking him back. That damn robot is going to get paid rather handsomely by Corvanis Comms... despite his tardiness. Hopefully three will suffice," Glenn sighs. "Well, agents, let's get a move on. The company garage is at the base of this tower."

Felix has left the party.

The group follows Glenn to an elevator. The glass panes, caked with smog, still give a decent view of the hustle and bustle of the city. Although the movement was neverending, Glenn seemed unimpressed.

"Hm. Always gets slow around here around this time of year. Guess more companies are starting to give workers the Day of Desolation off. ...Good for them."

A few more winding corridors and Glenn reaches a metal shutter with the Corvanis Comms logo on it. He reaches down, and with some effort, the undead communications expert heaves the door open.

OfmyYlh.png
"Hrrrngh!" Glenn grunts, rubbing his back. "These damn bones worked better when I was still alive. Well, agents, this is the garage space that Corvanis Comms rents out. We store all of our service vehicles here, for when we have to do field work around the city. And although they haven't been used in a while, we have a couple company vehicles made for the wasteland..."

Glenn motions to the two Desert Skiffs parked in the garage, strange and bulky communication antennas harnessed to each. The vehicles were caked with sand and grime.

mfKawJd.png

OfmyYlh.png
"These are our rides. Anyone ever driven one of these clunkers before? Actually, any of you got piloting experience?"

Edited by Endgame

2 hours ago, Endgame said:

OfmyYlh.png
"These are our rides. Anyone ever driven one of these clunkers before? Actually, any of you got piloting experience?"

I've done a fair share of flying in my days. 'Can't imagine the skiffs are much different.

Say, what's this Day of Desolation you mentioned?

Edited by The Legonater

12 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

I've done a fair share of flying in my days. 'Can't imagine the skiffs are much different.

Say, what's this Day of Desolation you mentioned?

OfmyYlh.png
"Perhaps the skills will transfer then. Driving through the city isn't too bad today but the wasteland will pose some hazards."

Upon being asked about the Day of Desolation Glenn grows somber. "You aren't... From around these parts, are you, boy? Amazing how quickly people forget. That's why we need a holiday for it, I suppose. Does the Nendaran Gate Collapse ring any bells, or do I owe you three a history lesson?"

5 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"I try to leave the driving to professionals. Anything you can tell us about the Wastelands by the way? Any settlements or people out there?"

OfmyYlh.png
"The Wastelands are... part marsh, part dessert. They used to be the oceans on Corvanis, what we'll be trekking across used to be the sea floor. The gate collapse did one hell of a number on this planet. Blasted all of the water clean off the planet surface, and it all came back as these damn storm systems. It's... Well, I grew up in the Nendara system. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just a grumpy old codger, but I think it's VERY fair to say that this place ain't what it used to be."

"Settlements. Yes. Some people who refuse to work in or under the Savior City have taken to establishing small villages around what little bodies of water are left. They're part of the reason that'll I'll be going with you to the Wasteland to set up camp and monitor the signal, but I won't be going with you for the majority of the job. The people out there... Do NOT take kindly to the corporations that run this city. You're agents, you don't work for one of the big firms in this own, you'll be fine. Me? If they find out I work for Corvanis Comms, they'll put a plasma slug between my ears."

15 minutes ago, Endgame said:

Upon being asked about the Day of Desolation Glenn grows somber. "You aren't... From around these parts, are you, boy? Amazing how quickly people forget. That's why we need a holiday for it, I suppose. Does the Nendaran Gate Collapse ring any bells, or do I owe you three a history lesson?"

Ah. 'Didn't catch that it was today. You fly around enough, you realize everyone's got their own names for things. 

You think whoever's scumming with the signals might be doing some sort of... resistance action, then? In light of the gate collapse? Sticking it to the man, as it were?

13 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

Ah. 'Didn't catch that it was today. You fly around enough, you realize everyone's got their own names for things. 

You think whoever's scumming with the signals might be doing some sort of... resistance action, then? In light of the gate collapse? Sticking it to the man, as it were?

OfmyYlh.png
"Don't worry about it, son, I don't know what day of the week it is half the time either. And I'm the punctuality stickler guy.

As for your theory, well, kind of. Maybe. Awh, hell, I need to sit down for this one." Glenn shakes his head and walks over to the edge of a storage crate, sitting down and stroking his beard. "There was an old boogeyman that haunted us - all of us - during the Five Years War. A warbot that went by the name of Invictus." Just saying the name seemed to make Glenn's mood sour. He spoke it like he was spitting the word on the ground. "Invictus was... Well, in a war that was really just between two sides, Invictus was a wild card. League army, Empire soldiers, it didn't matter who it was, Invictus seemed to want them dead. To this day we're still tallying things, but the body count Invictus racked up? It's high. I don't even want to know the exact number."

"The good news is, is that the bastard is dead. When the Gate collapsed and blew up, he was caught in the blast, reports said. He was apparently aboard an Empire ship only a few miles away from the Gate itself. Vaporized and gone in an instant. Only good thing about the entire thing if you ask me."

"Invictus had a calling card before he descended upon the battlefield. Static. Communications would jam, weapons would fail, and all of a sudden all hell would break loose when he made himself known. There's a few men and women out there who just the sound of digital static is enough to scare them outta their skin... I can't imagine what Invictus' survivors must feel. He didn't leave a whole lot."

Glenn reaches into his vest pocket and gets out a cigar and a lighter, and sparks up. "So you can see what I mean by 'ominous contents' now, fully. There's a lot of sickos out there who looked up to Invictus. He got blown to bits years and years ago, and sometimes  deeply, deeply misguided people like to dredge up that monster's memory for one reason or another."

Edited by Endgame

Valesia mood sobers for once speaking compassionately to Glenn, "Don't you worry there, Sugar. We'll help you figure out what's goin' on out there. We'll be glad to have the extra set of hands from you, but you make sure your in a good place for helpin' out. Are these communication units drop and play or are we goin' need some sort of instructions for setting them up?"

4 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Valesia mood sobers for once speaking compassionately to Glenn, "Don't you worry there, Sugar. We'll help you figure out what's goin' on out there. We'll be glad to have the extra set of hands from you, but you make sure your in a good place for helpin' out. Are these communication units drop and play or are we goin' need some sort of instructions for setting them up?"

The old Undead's story sent a shiver down Maximilian's spine. What kind of people would intentionally keep that kind of a memory alive? "My friend there is right, we'll get to the bottom of this."

On 10/12/2021 at 1:35 PM, Waterbrick Down said:

OfmyYlh.png
"Trust me, you won't have more for this whole thing. When we set up camp I'm staying there to monitor the signals as you set up the antennas. As for the set up, yes, just stand 'em up and throw the lever. I was up all last night doing the configurin'."

On 10/12/2021 at 6:05 PM, Alix said:

The old Undead's story sent a shiver down Maximilian's spine. What kind of people would intentionally keep that kind of a memory alive? "My friend there is right, we'll get to the bottom of this."

OfmyYlh.png

"Appreciate it. Let's turn those words into actions."

Glenn removes a map from his pocket.

amKta4h.png

OfmyYlh.png
"Here's the scoop. We're currently in the Savior City. I would like for us to make it to Point A, where I can set up my equipment and triangulate this signal. My tent and all my computer crap is already in one of the skiffs.

The only issue is that a big ol' storm system has reared it's ugly head right outside the city limits. It's right above our direct path to Point A. We can drive through it, it might just take some gumption and some driving skills. Failing that, we can detour to Point B - I have it marked to the West of A, but bound East would do - but there's a catch. The storms drive off all the nasty critters in the wasteland near the city limits. We'd basically be trading one problem for another.

Beasties become less of an issue the further out into the wasteland you go. When we get to Point A, you'll have to go to both Point C and Point D to set up the antennae. As for what I know about each, one's near a body of water, so there's likely a settlement nearby. I sure as hell wouldn't drink from that irradiated crap. Point D, if I got the coordinates right, is near a derelict submarine. Sometimes scrappers gather to pluck parts off the carcass but they're pretty harmless.

When we get camp set up and get the two antennae going in the right spot, we'll be able to determine the exact location of the signal source and check it out.

Does this all make sense? And if it does, what's the plan?"

2 hours ago, Endgame said:

OfmyYlh.png
"Trust me, you won't have more for this whole thing. When we set up camp I'm staying there to monitor the signals as you set up the antennas. As for the set up, yes, just stand 'em up and throw the lever. I was up all last night doing the configurin'."

"Good to hear, technology ain't really my thing. Heck I have problems knowin' an escalator from an elevator, or a register from a resistor. Flipping a switch though, that I can handle."

Valesia turned to her companions, "I've got a fair knack with beasts, so that doesn't bother me. Soren, sweetie, how do you feel about piloting through a storm like that? Figure it's somethin' you could handle?"

13 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Valesia turned to her companions, "I've got a fair knack with beasts, so that doesn't bother me. Soren, sweetie, how do you feel about piloting through a storm like that? Figure it's somethin' you could handle?"

'Been meaning to get some solid practice in, a trip through the storm should be no sweat. 

Soren gives a confident crack of his neck, eager to get behind the controls of a vehicle again.

1 hour ago, The Legonater said:

'Been meaning to get some solid practice in, a trip through the storm should be no sweat. 

Soren gives a confident crack of his neck, eager to get behind the controls of a vehicle again.

Valesia smiles, "Bravado in the face of danger, not that that's ever steered anyone wrong. I have confidence in you though Soren."

"If you really believe that you can make it, i have no qualms about going through the storm" Maximilian said trying to measure whether Soren could live up to his words of easily steering through a storm. Then he gave up the attempt as pointless. After all, what did he know about piloting. 

19 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Good to hear, technology ain't really my thing. Heck I have problems knowin' an escalator from an elevator, or a register from a resistor. Flipping a switch though, that I can handle."

OfmyYlh.png
"Hey. We all have specialties. Long as you're good at somethin', ain't no shame."

5 hours ago, The Legonater said:

OfmyYlh.png

"I hope you can show that your confidence is warranted, boy. You're transporting some important comms equipment, and, more importantly, us. Don't forget that. If you're going to be doing the piloting, I'll hitch one skiff to the other and just let you drive the whole thing. When you're navigating the rest of the Wastelands you can split 'em back up if you really feel like it."

After some finagling with the tow wire, the agents and Glenn are soon pulling out of the Corvanis Comms garage space, into the city proper before passing through the city's outermost wall. They drive through the wastelands, the city fading into the horizon behind them, as they pass under the storm cluster...

sJ86Pe3.png

Under the storm cell, visibility suffers. The party is buffeted by grains of sand being sprayed about. It was truly surreal, driving on the seafloor made desert. Sometimes, in the smog and sand and darkness, the fossilized remains of sea life could be seen, littering the empty ocean basin. As the party cruised along with Soren at the wheel, thunder rumbling, the party sees an obstacle quickly manifest into view.

6hLfBma.png

A tall outcrop of rock, hidden in the swirling storm, right in front of where the skiff was heading towards! The outcrop of rock looked too sturdy to just plow through.  Some sloped stone was to the outcrop's right, and flat sand to its left. The party still had some space between them and the rock, giving them some time to Try Something before disaster struck. The distance was great enough that with good reactions slamming the brakes would avoid any fatalities, but damage to the skiffs and the cargo and the riders would be inevitable if that action was taken.

OfmyYlh.png

"Agents! The rock!!"

MM Note: To be clear, everyone can use their items, spells, weapons, proficiencies, etc. here, not just Soren! I've specified a framework for the situation, but it is up to the rest of you to Try Something and avoid heavy damage.

50 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

I'm assuming we can't simply go around it?

MM Note: Attempting to turn is certainly a valid action with the Piloting proficiency, but it'll be a high DC without some teammate help. The way you turn and whether you brake/speed up/etc. is also important. This is open ended!

Also take into consideration that when turning you have another skiff being dragged behind you, so protecting that and the cargo is important as well when you're formulating a plan.

Edited by Endgame

Valesia tried shielding her eyes against the grit and dust blown up by the storm as she shouted to the pilot, "Soren, I'm thinking a bit magical light might help illuminate a safer path ahead of us, this storm is making visibility so poor it's as thick as corquin soup. Otherwise I can try stabilizin' the cargo with some arcane bindings, make sure it don't go no where."

30 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Valesia tried shielding her eyes against the grit and dust blown up by the storm as she shouted to the pilot, "Soren, I'm thinking a bit magical light might help illuminate a safer path ahead of us, this storm is making visibility so poor it's as thick as corquin soup. Otherwise I can try stabilizin' the cargo with some arcane bindings, make sure it don't go no where."

I reckon we're going to be making some tight maneuvers, might be best to get a lock on that cargo. Looks like we've got a choice - I 'magine headin' towards the dunes is smarter than that sloped stone, right? Say, Max, do you think you'd be able to put that shield of yours to use at all?

I reckon we're going to be making some tight maneuvers, might be best to get a lock on that cargo. Looks like we've got a choice - I 'magine headin' towards the dunes is smarter than that sloped stone, right? Say, Max, do you think you'd be able to put that shield of yours to use at all?

"Sure thing," Valesia casts mystic binding as vines begin to sprout all over the transponders and other equipment in order to safely secure them to the skiffs. "The dunes might be smoother, unless you thinking making that sharp of an adjustment is more risky than getting some hang time."

11 hours ago, The Legonater said:

"Good call, i believe i can set it up to protect one of the transponders instead of me." Maximilian said instantly beginning to remove the shield projector he had on him. The machine itself was carried on his back, and was relatively weighty. It in no way was bleeding edge technology, but despite it's rough appearance it did it's job. Originally it had been used by blast miners to protect against the rocks explosions threw at them. 

As he begun setting the projector on one of the transponders he shouted to the other two: "I have no knowledge about piloting these things, but dunes sure do sound better than sloped stone".

17 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Sure thing," Valesia casts mystic binding as vines begin to sprout all over the transponders and other equipment in order to safely secure them to the skiffs. "The dunes might be smoother, unless you thinking making that sharp of an adjustment is more risky than getting some hang time."

I'm thinkin' either way we turn is going to be a sharp adjustment, this way at least gives us something soft to land on if things go sideways.

Soren cranks the controls to the left, trying to skirt past the rock towards the sand.