Sign in to follow this  
Endgame

Heroica: Glory Amongst The Stars - Mission #6: We Now Interrupt This Broadcast

Glenn grits his teeth as the party puts their plan into motion. It was now or never, with the outcrop of rock rapidly approaching!

The start of the tricky maneuver all hinges on Soren being able to pull off the turn properly. He takes the controls and makes a hard left, the suspension in the skiff screeching as the turn is made:

Proficiency Check: Piloting (5, 5, 6, 2, 3) 3 successes vs DC 2: the turn is made!

Proficiency Check: Piloting Pt. 2 (1, 1, 2, 5, 4) 1 successes vs DC 2: ...a bit roughly!

Soren manages to avoid head on collision with the rock for the front skiff. It's not the cleanest turn in the world, and the action jostles the party around a bit, causing them to sustain a bit of minor bruising.

Next up was Valesia. Soren's turn had averted loss of life but the cargo didn't have hands to hold onto the guard rails with. Channeling her connection with Nature Valesia casts Mystic Binding:

Spell Check: (5, 1, 6) 2 successes, vines bind tightly to all cargo!

Even in the wastelands Valesia's power functions. Vines spring into action and coil around the antenna, locking them into place well enough. Now there was only the question of the back skiff: the front skiff's cargo was protected by Soren's driving and Valesia's vines, but the sharp turn caused the towed vehicle to swing towards the outcrop of rock: Maximilian's talent with his shield projector would have to bail out the back skiff.

Maximilian's Strength Check: (5, 5, 6): 3 successes vs DC 2, the shield projector and Maximilian hold strong!

Maximilian's experience with the shield projector manages to protect the swerving towed skiff. It scrapes against the rock and sprays sparks, suffering a bit of chipped paint, but otherwise makes it through unscathed.

Other than getting a bit jostled, the agents cooperated and made it around the obstacle and out of the storm. They all gain 1 character point from the experience.

The Agents

1340555818_Heroica2.png.af8199e345ea7c34257ea18ab20b6688.png

Maximilian Vetre (Alix)
44 cycles old Male Elf
Character Points: 1/11
Vitality: 5/6
Velocity: 2
Strength: 3
Skill: 2
Smarts: 1
Proficiencies: Explosives 2, Occult 1, Short Range Weapons 2
Credits: 10
Equipment:  D-KA Carbine (Standard Kinetic Short Range Weapon), Rampart Kinetic Shield (Standard Kinetic Armor), Energy Cell
Inventory: Empty
Locker:  Empty

51233820556_180a0dba60_t.jpg
Valesia
 (Waterbrick Down)
110 Year Old Female Cladrasith
Character Points: 1/14
Vitality: 4/5
Velocity: 2
Strength: 1
Skill: 2
Smarts: 1
Spirit: 2/3
Proficiencies: Insight 1, Medicine 1, Nature 3
Known Spells: Elemental Evocation, Healing Light, Mystic Binding, Photonic Manipulation
Credits: 65
Equipment: Holo-scroll, Chef's Kit (Standard Kinetic Melee Weapon)
Inventory: Ætherbrew, Essence of Precaution, Plasma Potion
Locker:

189444369_933832327392718_3084432536823807458_n.jpg
Soren Aeolus (The Legonater)
31-year-old male Human
Character Points: 2/16
Vitality: 4/5
Velocity: 2
Strength: 1
Skill: 3
Smarts: 2
Spirit: 2
Proficiencies: Nature 1, Insight 1, Piloting 2, Short-Range Weapons 2
Spells: Elemental Evocation, Mystic Binding
Equipment: MK-12 personal handgun (short-ranged calibrated energy weapon), Farsight Goggles, Hacking Chip, Plasma Potion
Credits: 10

Glenn signals when to stop as the agents escape the storm.

OfmyYlh.png

"Here, pull over here, son."

Glenn, too motivated for his own good, begins to set up his camp. He requires a bit of help to get the tent and his computer terminal out of the skiff, but otherwise is quickly set up.

GDNvEU0.png

He rolls out his shoulders.

OfmyYlh.png

"I'm sore, but aren't I always, and the paint job on one of the skiffs got marked up, but that thing always looked like it came out of a dump. We made back the time we lost by your pilot droid being late, so I would say that was a pretty worthwhile endeavor, going through that storm. Thanks for not getting us killed."

"If you recall the map I showed you before, we're at Point A right now. You need to take the skiffs and set up the antenna at points C and D to-"

YFQbt81.png

" .. -. ...- .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- / .-- .- .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- --- - .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- . ...- . .-. .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- "

Glenn's barely portable field terminal begins beeping and chittering. The signal, again.

OfmyYlh.png

"...We're closer. We can hear it more, maybe hear it better..."

Edited by Endgame

Soren glances over his shoulder and flashes a grin as the crew bumpily passes the outcrop. What did I tell you? Not a problem.

2 hours ago, Endgame said:

He rolls out his shoulders.

OfmyYlh.png

"We made back the time we lost by your pilot droid being late, so I would say that was a pretty worthwhile endeavor, going through that storm. Thanks for not getting us killed."

What can I say? I'm good at my job.

2 hours ago, Endgame said:

OfmyYlh.png

"If you recall the map I showed you before, we're at Point A right now. You need to take the skiffs and set up the antenna at points C and D to-"

Are we splitting up, then?

4 hours ago, Endgame said:

Proficiency Check: Piloting Pt. 2 (1, 1, 2, 5, 4) 1 successes vs DC 2: ...a bit roughly!

OoC: So by my count, Soren actually rolled 2 Successes (5 & 4) unless I'm missing something.

2 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Soren glances over his shoulder and flashes a grin as the crew bumpily passes the outcrop. What did I tell you? Not a problem.

"Nicely done Soren, to think we ever doubted you!"

As the Cladrasith summons the securing vines, she smiles inwardly, even in this desolate place hope and life still managed to survive.

Bracing herself for a crash into the rocky outcrop, she shouts with surprise as Max deftly deflects with his trusty shield.

"Seems you can take the soldier out of the battlefield, but you can't take the battlefield out of the soldier. Excellently accomplished Max!"

4 hours ago, Endgame said:

YFQbt81.png

" .. -. ...- .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- / .-- .- .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- --- - .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- . ...- . .-. .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- "

Glenn's barely portable field terminal begins beeping and chittering. The signal, again.

OfmyYlh.png

"...We're closer. We can hear it more, maybe hear it better..."

Valesia listens intently trying to determine if there is any code or pattern to the message.

"Quite spooky. Are you sure you'll be alright out here on your own Glenn?"

14 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Maximilian steps down from the skiff and takes a knee breathing a sigh of relief. "That was close". Then he walks up to Soren giving him a friendly pat on the back. "I don't think good even begins to describe it. Considering the time we won back by going through that storm, i believe it'd be wiser if we stayed together and went to points C and D one at a time."

11 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Seems you can take the soldier out of the battlefield, but you can't take the battlefield out of the soldier. Excellently accomplished Max!"

Maximilian gave a faint smile "Yeah i suppose you are right. Your vines were a sight to behold aswell. I don't think i have ever seen a mage using powers akin to yours."

13 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

OoC: So by my count, Soren actually rolled 2 Successes (5 & 4) unless I'm missing something.

"Nicely done Soren, to think we ever doubted you!"

As the Cladrasith summons the securing vines, she smiles inwardly, even in this desolate place hope and life still managed to survive.

Bracing herself for a crash into the rocky outcrop, she shouts with surprise as Max deftly deflects with his trusty shield.

Valesia listens intently trying to determine if there is any code or pattern to the message.

"Quite spooky. Are you sure you'll be alright out here on your own Glenn?"

MM Note: So he did! You'll all have the 1 HP returned to you. Y'all still scratched up the paint, though. :tongue:

Valesia wasn't one for technology, but she could still exercise a little bit of insight whilst listening...

Insight Check: (4, 2, 4, 1) 2 successes vs DC 3 check: Failed

Valesia can't quite crack the code or discern the exact pattern, but has a vague hunch that the long and short beeps are not entirely random.

At the question, Glenn pulls out two final items from his bag: a pistol and a flare gun.

OfmyYlh.png

"I'll be fine. I need to be here at my terminal to nail this thing's source down. And I'd barely call this equipment portable, so I can't go with you folks anyway. Believe it or not I do have a little bit of experience with a firearm," he says gruffly. "If I crack the signal's source, which you shouldn't expect me to do until you set up both antennas, or I end up getting gnawed on my Molgerawns, I'll fire off a signal flare. Watch the sky for blue smoke and double back here if and when you see it. Preferably with a little haste, especially if the Molgerawn scenario comes up."

15 hours ago, The Legonater said:

OfmyYlh.png

"I agree you are. The paint job may not," Glenn says gruffly. Maybe he was just making a joke.

"I'm bunkering up here, if that's what you mean by splitting up. If you folks want to divide into teams and head to Points C and D separately, I mean, you could, but at that point one of you would be going solo, and that could be awful dangerous. Wouldn't really recommend it. These wastelands ain't friendly. If you decide to stick together just take both skiffs to one place, or I can tie 'em together and you can tow one again, if only one of ya feels like driving."

1 hour ago, Alix said:

Maximilian steps down from the skiff and takes a knee breathing a sigh of relief. "That was close". Then he walks up to Soren giving him a friendly pat on the back. "I don't think good even begins to describe it. Considering the time we won back by going through that storm, i believe it'd be wiser if we stayed together and went to points C and D one at a time."

Maximilian gave a faint smile "Yeah i suppose you are right. Your vines were a sight to behold aswell. I don't think i have ever seen a mage using powers akin to yours."

OfmyYlh.png

"Not horrible intuition, boy. Just as a reminder, Point C is by the water, and Point D is by the derelict sub. Each skiff has a device with the coordinates coded into it that'll ping as you approach the spot you need to set up the transponder. That's literally all the device can do, though. Don't expect a state of the art nav system. Corvanis Comms doesn't have the budget for those kinda of bells and whistles."

2 hours ago, Alix said:

Then he walks up to Soren giving him a friendly pat on the back. "I don't think good even begins to describe it. Considering the time we won back by going through that storm, i believe it'd be wiser if we stayed together and went to points C and D one at a time."

'At's a good call; do we have any preference which point we hit first?

48 minutes ago, Endgame said:

OfmyYlh.png

"If you decide to stick together just take both skiffs to one place, or I can tie 'em together and you can tow one again, if only one of ya feels like driving."

If it's all the same to you, I think it best we keep the skiffs together. Clearly having 'em tied up together ain't much a deterrent to my piloting, after all.

1 hour ago, The Legonater said:

'At's a good call; do we have any preference which point we hit first?

"Can't say i have any, what about you Valesia?"

“Why don’t we head to the spot near the water? I’d be interested to see if there’s any other signs of life we can communicate with about this situation.”

16 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

“Why don’t we head to the spot near the water? I’d be interested to see if there’s any other signs of life we can communicate with about this situation.”

Sound's good enough t'me. To the water, then?

MM Note: Hi Sixers - 24 hour delay, you'll be heading to Point C tomorrow!

OfmyYlh.png

"Sounds like you have places to be. Don't let me down."

Glenn ties the skiff's together and Soren returns to the piloting seat, as the agents head out for Point C. As they drive along, the air started to... reek of slatwater. Normally the smell was pleasant enough, but the environmental factors, the decay, the trash and waste mounting up... Before the water was even visible, it could be smelled. The Gate Collapse was not kind to Corvanis. Not remotely.

Sure enough, signs of human civilization begin to appear. Spikes and speed bumps stuck into the sand appear, spreading out for miles, stopping speeders from just cruising through and over. They were designed to funnel travelers down a specific path, to what the party recognizes to be a checkpoint of some sort, outside of a wasteland settlement.

kEtVu9n.png

The gate was made of mudbrick, cobbled together but reinforced and rebuilt over time. The stone had actually been ground smooth by sandstorm after sandstorm. There was a single guard at the ground level, and from the top of the tower, a red dot from a laser sight focuses on the windshield and traces up the side of the skiff. The ground level guard casually saunters up to the side of the skiff, placing one hand on the edge. He had a pretty casual air to him, distinct from the clear warning sign that they guardsman in the tower was trying to send.

rDx8QVz.png

"Hey, lady and fellas, you people new around here? I've been manning this gate for a while and have never seen something like you three roll through. Mind telling me a little bit about what brings ya here?"

"Well hi there, Sweetie. We're just out and about doing a bit of survey work. I don't seem to recall a settlement actually being on the map around here. Mind telling us where we are?"

19 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Well hi there, Sweetie. We're just out and about doing a bit of survey work. I don't seem to recall a settlement actually being on the map around here. Mind telling us where we are?"

rDx8QVz.png

"I don't know where you're from, but those not from these parts don't really bother marking us on any maps."

The voice from atop the guard tower hollers out. She sounded less than happy, but her aim didn't waver, evidenced by the static red dot still on the hood of the skiff.

"All those suits give a shit about is hydrocobalt and fuel!"

rDx8QVz.png

"Now, hey hey, let's not go pushing an agenda on our visitors," the first guardsman laughs. "You, my friends, have stumbled upon Vurenia." The guardsman, blaster still very much drawn, walks over to one of the antennas, and knocks on it with his knuckles. "Now, this here is a pretty solidly built thing. Some kinda antenna? You guys driving out here to catch the Blastball game? Or maybe you're trying to ping Savior City polic, so they can just fly by and bomb us off the map. The map they never put us on," he chuckles dryly. "Now, you understand the security risk of letting you guys just mosey in with whatever and do whatever and all that. So are you going to tell me plainly exactly what the hell these things are, so we can stay nice and polite, or no?"

17 hours ago, Endgame said:

rDx8QVz.png

"Now, hey hey, let's not go pushing an agenda on our visitors," the first guardsman laughs. "You, my friends, have stumbled upon Vurenia." The guardsman, blaster still very much drawn, walks over to one of the antennas, and knocks on it with his knuckles. "Now, this here is a pretty solidly built thing. Some kinda antenna? You guys driving out here to catch the Blastball game? Or maybe you're trying to ping Savior City polic, so they can just fly by and bomb us off the map. The map they never put us on," he chuckles dryly. "Now, you understand the security risk of letting you guys just mosey in with whatever and do whatever and all that. So are you going to tell me plainly exactly what the hell these things are, so we can stay nice and polite, or no?"

"Oh I don't think I'm familiar with Blastball, is it similar to Cosmo-polo?" Valesia smiles somewhat nervously at her silent companions, before continuing persuasively, "As I said, we're doing a survey of the local area, lots of freaky weather and electrical disturbances as of late. This equipment should help pin-point the issue and we'd be glad to offer our findings to the city, that is if anything has been disrupting life here in Vurenia. Otherwise if you're looking for some sort of proof of security or 'down-payment' of our good will, I'm sure that could be arranged as well."

21 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

Valesia smiles somewhat nervously at her silent companions, before continuing persuasively.

Soren meets Valesia's glance, uncomfortable with his surroundings. He didn't know enough about this place; would I guy like this go ballistic if they mentioned Invictus? What was their angle here? 

The pilot eyes the guard a little closer. He was all but imperceptible behind the mask, but from behind his sunglasses he took a moment to study the man's body posture, trying to gain insight as to how he was feeling. Nervous? Anxious? Angry? 

9 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Oh I don't think I'm familiar with Blastball, is it similar to Cosmo-polo?" Valesia smiles somewhat nervously at her silent companions, before continuing persuasively, "As I said, we're doing a survey of the local area, lots of freaky weather and electrical disturbances as of late. This equipment should help pin-point the issue and we'd be glad to offer our findings to the city, that is if anything has been disrupting life here in Vurenia. Otherwise if you're looking for some sort of proof of security or 'down-payment' of our good will, I'm sure that could be arranged as well."

rDx8QVz.png
"Freaky weather and electrical disturbances, huh? Well, damn. You're telling me, we literally live under forever thunder clouds. But yeah, sure, I guess the weather is all over the place, ain't it."

Persuasion Check: (1, 5, 6) 2 successes vs DC 1 - success

"Proof of good will. Proof of good will... You may not be from Vurenia but you are kind of speaking our language. Tell you what. You three step out of the vehicle. Don't worry, my pal with the rifle up there will make sure you don't get skiff jacked. There's someone I would like you to meet. They can give you something to do as a proof of good will. After that we'll know you're all stand up people, not that we ever doubted it, right?"

8 hours ago, The Legonater said:

Soren meets Valesia's glance, uncomfortable with his surroundings. He didn't know enough about this place; would I guy like this go ballistic if they mentioned Invictus? What was their angle here? 

The pilot eyes the guard a little closer. He was all but imperceptible behind the mask, but from behind his sunglasses he took a moment to study the man's body posture, trying to gain insight as to how he was feeling. Nervous? Anxious? Angry? 

Insight Check: (4, 1, 3, 6) 2 successes vs DC 2 - success

From his body language, tone, everything, the guard seemed rather casual about this whole affair. He had done this before, and had an air about him that he had used his gun before, so he didn't seem particularly afraid of the party. Still, he carried himself with a certain intensity. Glenn did say there was a severe distrust of those from the Savior City, out in the wastes...

"Well that is such a sweet offer Mr. Mr.... I don't think we've been properly introduced. I'm Valesia and I'd certainly be up for a stretch of the legs, Soren, Max?"

27 minutes ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"I'm Valesia and I'd certainly be up for a stretch of the legs, Soren, Max?"

The pilot shifts in his seat, feeling more comfortable in the speeder than following the group into strange territory. But if they wanted to make any progress, they were going to have to give a little. The guard didn't seem like he would kill them if they didn't give him any cause to. 

Yeah, sure, whatever. Jus' don't touch the speeder. 

3 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

"Well that is such a sweet offer Mr. Mr.... I don't think we've been properly introduced. I'm Valesia and I'd certainly be up for a stretch of the legs, Soren, Max?"

"Stretching our legs sounds rather good to me". Maximilian gave a nod to the guard and continued "Nice to meet you". Though the guard along with the whole settlement seemed a little suspicious, there was little they could do, but follow the man and do as he says. Not to mention how easily he could sympathize with their struggle, the suits in Saviour city truly seemed to care about little less than hydrocobalt and profit. 

20 hours ago, Waterbrick Down said:

rDx8QVz.png

"Name's Tanabe. Valesia, there's a new one, I like that name. Soren and Max are you two friends then, huh? Well, now that we're all on first name basis and we're all pals, why don't I take you to meet my boss. Come along now, daylight's wasting."

20 hours ago, The Legonater said:

The pilot shifts in his seat, feeling more comfortable in the speeder than following the group into strange territory. But if they wanted to make any progress, they were going to have to give a little. The guard didn't seem like he would kill them if they didn't give him any cause to. 

Yeah, sure, whatever. Jus' don't touch the speeder. 

"Your skiff is a piece of crap anyway! No one would want to steal that thing to even scrap it." hollers the less than kind sniper from atop the guard tower. "I mean, damn, look at that paint job!"

rDx8QVz.png

"Hey, Eryka! Be nice! Ignore her. One of us has to be the bad cop on watch."

16 hours ago, Alix said:

"Stretching our legs sounds rather good to me". Maximilian gave a nod to the guard and continued "Nice to meet you". Though the guard along with the whole settlement seemed a little suspicious, there was little they could do, but follow the man and do as he says. Not to mention how easily he could sympathize with their struggle, the suits in Saviour city truly seemed to care about little less than hydrocobalt and profit. 

rDx8QVz.png

"Pleasure's all mine, bud. Let's get going."

The red dot of the sniper rifle follows the agents as they follow Tanabe into the guard outpost, up a few rickety flights of stairs. A few other guardsmen, some masked, some undead, regard the party with uneasy glares until Tanabe gestures for them to knock it off. In an instant they fall in line. Clearly, Vurenia had something of a hierarchy.

rDx8QVz.png

"I'm the best people person of the bunch. That's why they put me in front. Now, you all stay put for JUST a second while I say hello to my boss. Run, and, well, I'm sure Eryka could take good care of you."

Tanabe disappears through a metal hatch, sliding it open and stepping inside. There is a muttering of voices from inside. One is distinctly Tanabe's, and the other is that of a woman's. Only a select few words can be heard...

"Weather surveillance? ...Can't they just look up? Well, they can prove themselves trustworthy... If they fail, they fail... Tanabe, let me handle this. Bring them in."

The guardsman opens the metal hatch and signals the agents to enter.

MM Note: This is normally where a picture would go, but my rendering software is being dumb! I'll add it back in 24 hours.

The office was small and far from extravagant. Littered with maps and records strewn about, grains of sand caking the floor and trapped in every corner of the room. The stale smell of briny water came in through the office's lone window. The only organized part of the office was the miniature armory on the side, displaying all matters of weapons... Some where roughly-hewn and old, perhaps made in Vurenia, while others proudly carried the Corvanis Police insignia. Clearly, the woman in this office was NOT the original owner of these weapons.

And the woman herself was something of an oddity. Start black body armor and a silvery faceplate that all but obscured her face, with only her graying hair exposed. Every other inch of skin was covered, even her hands adorned in white gloves.

rDx8QVz.png

"This is them, boss."

y1rp7SB.png

"Valesia, Soren, Max, was it? I hope I got those names right. I'd like to bid you a warm welcome to Vurenia, but, well, I'm sure you understand our skepticism. If not, well, I'll say that visitors often care more for our land than our people, and we shall leave it at that." The masked woman folds her hands on her knotted old desk. "I'm Guard Captain Aileen. And before you set up a single piece of equipment in our settlement I am going to need you to do us a little favor, just so we can be a little more sure your interests in our little town are... strictly academic."

The smile beneath Aileen's mask was practically audible.

"Are any of you familiar with the HC-288? It's a brand new model of mining drone. Could you believe that they've been running roughshod in these parts lately? They fly in from the Savior City, tear pretty rocks out of the earth, destroy anything and anyone who had the audacity to build their home over the mining site in the process... and then they fly back to the city. What a nuisance, right?"

1 hour ago, Endgame said:

y1rp7SB.png

"Are any of you familiar with the HC-288? It's a brand new model of mining drone. Could you believe that they've been running roughshod in these parts lately? They fly in from the Savior City, tear pretty rocks out of the earth, destroy anything and anyone who had the audacity to build their home over the mining site in the process... and then they fly back to the city. What a nuisance, right?"

Soren glances back at his compatriots before returning to the masked woman. 'Seemed like a lot of work just to get past this settlement, but he supposed there was no point trying to shoot their way out. Best to follow along, at least for now. 

So you're asking us to destroy a drone.

14 minutes ago, The Legonater said:

Soren glances back at his compatriots before returning to the masked woman. 'Seemed like a lot of work just to get past this settlement, but he supposed there was no point trying to shoot their way out. Best to follow along, at least for now. 

So you're asking us to destroy a drone.

y1rp7SB.png

"Just the one," Aileen grins. "Just the one. They send them out at rather regular intervals. We junk them at regular intervals. They put guns on their drones, we send our people out with bigger guns." Aileen stands up and reaches into her desk, pulling out a rather distinctive looking metal cylinder. "This is a scrapped battery casing.  There's one in every drone. Bring one of these back to me as proof and we'll know that you're not just lapdogs of the City."

Soren eyes the casing closely, before leaning back in his chair and crossing his arms.

'Seems like it'd be best to hit their factory or somethin' like that if they keep botherin' you like this. But sure, we can kill a drone. 'Sounds easy 'nough. 

1 minute ago, The Legonater said:

Soren eyes the casing closely, before leaning back in his chair and crossing his arms.

'Seems like it'd be best to hit their factory or somethin' like that if they keep botherin' you like this. But sure, we can kill a drone. 'Sounds easy 'nough. 

Soren can see his own face in Aileen's mask. She laughs at Soren's suggestion.

y1rp7SB.png

"You, I think you and I could get along. Don't let me down on this one. As for the factory, well... It's something of a pipe dream." Aileen looks towards her wall of claimed City Police armaments. "You're new in these parts, aren't you? You don't understand just how imbalanced it all is."

21 minutes ago, Endgame said:

Soren can see his own face in Aileen's mask. She laughs at Soren's suggestion.

y1rp7SB.png

"You, I think you and I could get along. Don't let me down on this one. As for the factory, well... It's something of a pipe dream." Aileen looks towards her wall of claimed City Police armaments. "You're new in these parts, aren't you? You don't understand just how imbalanced it all is."

The pilot flinches slightly at the sight of his reflection. He didn't enjoy not being able to see the faces of the people he was dealing with. At Aileen's words, he shrugs.

'Life's imbalanced. People win, people lose, the folks on top win a lot more than those below. 'Don't see how these parts are different than anywhere else.