Sign in to follow this  
Cousarmy0001

[MOC] Monarch

Also one I've sat on for quite a while- this one longest of all.  Not sure why I never formally put her up, instead only occasionally showing her in a couple of pictures to demonstrate a principle or two, but she's been done since sometime in 2016.  Not actually named until today, may I present the armed merchantman, Monarch!  After so many people started putting fake gunports on their merchantmen, the pirates stopped falling for it.  Then someone made the suggestion: What if we put fake gunports on her to lure the pirates in, then blast them with actual guns on the deck (thus leaving the hold available for cargo)?  The result is Monarch.  Named for my 50 cal back in the army (I just realized an image of which is actually on my flickr), she sports four light cannons and a small contingent of mercenary riflemen to assist in boardings.  She was heavily inspired by the topsail cutter image on the MOC Index page, which just looked really fast and cool to me to the point that I essentially built one.  She has a female captain because I thought the "governor's daughter" minifig from the 2015 bluecoat fort was really cool and I really wanted to do something with it without making a really foppish male captain for the ship.  This one actually has sails too!  Included is a small but cozy captain's cabin, spacious crew quarters, and a galley (too small to be adequately photographed), with the idea that she can undertake longer voyages, or just plain stay out a bit longer than most ships her size, without her crew going quite so stir crazy.

51547734437_805d7577ff_c.jpg

51548533806_a62cff30c4_c.jpg

51548534966_1af598f100_c.jpg

51548771888_f6e494bf61_c.jpg

51549453610_d01b156c91_c.jpg

51548533216_d058b97d62_c.jpg

51549452800_c3760f870f_c.jpg

51547733487_aaaf19287f_c.jpg

51549262114_84eacd886a_c.jpg

51549262114_84eacd886a_c.jpg

51548772923_08351c1881_c.jpg

51547734637_1cd7f1a556_c.jpg

I hope you all like these new (to you!) additions to the Lego fleet!

I just realized I didn't put [MOC] in the title of either post.  If the MODs want to change that, go for it.  I'd do it myself but I haven't been able to sort out how.

I like this ship even better. The captain's cabin, crew quarters and the galley are really beautifully built. They are more spacious and cozy. Good construction and good description with lots of details.

Oh wow, and another midsized ship! Love it, and with sails this time! Again some great inner detail too.

You manage to keep the proportions very good for these smaller ships, I always tend to go cartoon-style with them.

On 10/4/2021 at 1:19 AM, NOD said:

I like this ship even better. The captain's cabin, crew quarters and the galley are really beautifully built. They are more spacious and cozy. Good construction and good description with lots of details.

I quite like her as well, I'm very pleased with how she turned out.  She's not quite my pride and joy, but a big part of the reason for that is that the ship that is is so much larger.

On 10/7/2021 at 5:11 AM, jan kusters said:

Oh wow, and another midsized ship! Love it, and with sails this time! Again some great inner detail too.

You manage to keep the proportions very good for these smaller ships, I always tend to go cartoon-style with them.

I've actually got probably half a dozen ships of this size done up in LDD, but I don't anticipate building more than 1 or 2 more due to a long term project I need to get in gear on.