Garmadon

[ESL - Faction Flavours] Gray's Universal Store

Abe Gray's Universal Store was one of the most popular shops in Pontelli.  His oldest daughter usually watched the shop and his younger daughter usually watched her little baby brother and ate cookies while she thought her sister wasn't looking.  But how well it went with the business was testified by the fact that both his girls were always dressed in the lattest elegant fashion, frills and puffed sleeves and all.  Sadie saw to that, although some detractors said sometimes that her sister looked like she was dressed in a sack - but that was ridiculous.

640x502.JPG

Pirates do not window-shop.  That's just not a pirate thing.  But it must be admitted that when Captain Nordau saw some tulips in the window of Gray's Universal Store he did a very un-pirate-like thing and walked in.

51544296368_aca0f3d6d4_z.jpg

He had heard just a little bit ago that Captain Cookie had bought some of Pontelli's new tulips.  And he was not one to be behind other pirate captains for long - it would never do.

640x487.JPG

"Arr, did I see some tulips in the winder of this 'ere 'stablishment, miss?"

"Yes you did, sir," replied Sadie.  "Those are Mondials - they are one of the rarest kinds around.  Here you see."

640x508.JPG

"Ay, indeed.  I hear that Captain Cookie has bought some Pontelli tulips."

"Oh yes, sir, indeed he did.  Everybody heard of that.  But he bought some of the Orange Emperor tulips.  These are Mondials."

"Aha, much better, I shall outdo him yet," exclaimed Captain Nordau triumphantly.  "Now how much are these?  They're better than his, of course, right?  I wouldn't pay less than Captain Cookie did for some."

"No fear of that," said Sadie to herself.  But all she did was smile up at Captain Nordau and think that he was clearly not an Eslandolan.  "Yes, of course.  These are three-quarters of a doubloon.  Captain Cookie's was only a half-doubloon."

640x494.JPG

"Oh yes, excellent.  Here you are.  And these are one of the rarest kinds you say?"  

"Certainly, thank you."

640x497.JPG

"No problem miss, anyday," said Captain Nordau as he walked out with his new purchase.

He had only just left and Sadie was just pulling out another bunch of the "rare" tulips when Captain Whiffo entered Gray's store.  He was a regular costumer there and didn't care if everybody knew it.  Abe Gray was a member of the ETWC after all too.

640x544.JPG

Captain Whiffo considered Sadie Gray to be a very Eslandian girl - and that was about the highest compliment anybody could want from him.  

640x522.JPG

"Hello, Captain!" said Sadie as he came in.  "Captain Nordau was just here and he bought some of these Mondial tulips."

"What?!  Captain Nordau here??  And what did he want with the tulips?"

"Well, he heard that Captain Cookie had just bought some too."

"What, him too?  Well, I guess it won't do to be left out.  How much do they cost?  Half a doubloon?"

640x496.JPG

"What, no. Of course not - that's what Captain Cookie paid for them.  They're going for four-fifths of a doubloon now."

"What?  What extravegance!"

"Captain Nordau paid three-quarters of a doubloon for them," Sadie smiled.  "You wouldn't want to do worse than him.  And it's my last one.  Extra proceeds for the ETWC, you know, Captain," and she held up the flowers in front of her pretty face.

Captain Whiffo sighed.  

"Okay, give me them for four-fifths then."

"A pleasure to see you again, Captain," said Sadie, taking the gold coins, which as Captain Whiffo thought - like a good Eslandolan - looked even better against an Eslandolan girl's pretty face.

640x503.JPG

"Jackie, come show Captain Whiffo your little brother," said Sadie, calling over her little sister - "and stop snitching cookies or I really will take the next one out of your allowance."

And Captain Whiffo left saying to himself, "why, how does she manage it?  She always does me like this, I don't know how she does it."  And he concluded as he had often concluded before, "someday I'm going to marry that girl."

And as soon as he walked out the door Sadie said,

"Jackie dear, bring out the Royal Blue now, will you please?  And I'll pardon you that cookie."

640x1138.png

----------------------------------------------

The story so far:

Something for a Lady

Buying Some Flowers

Captain Cookies next move

The girl is wearing a beautiful dress.:pir-grin: Very well photographed, the little brother covered that it is a sack. I like the walls because columns, shelves and decorations have been integrated.

It's exciting that several authors are working on the sequel story. I'm curious how the story will continue.

Edited by NOD

Fine store indeed. And it seems to be well stocked with those tulip thingies, that get more expensive every time you take a look at them.

Nice detail with that cookie :pir-sweet:

Beautifully integrated shelves with nice assortment of stuff! And that sack posing as dress is really convincing and NPU!
!

:laugh_hard: That was really funny. :rofl:  I love the way Jackie's posing changes as a sort of side-plot.  Of course, a very creative use of the sack, it mostly works great (though sometimes the baby looks pretty uncomfortable :pir_laugh2: ), also two great store walls, the way you can see a little of the front of the store gives it a move-set like vibe.  Love the way the scroll pieces look under the shelves! 

The tulips abound!

Nice one! The sack as a dress is really inventive and looks interesting. I think the columns on either side of the front door look awesome.

The idea of the scrolls as shelf supports is good, though I wonder if they would have looked better with a gap in between (scrolls on the ends with some empty space in the middle of the bottom).

Novel idea to use the sack as a dress - I would never have thought of that! Wonderful woodwork interior (as usual!). Very nicely done. This thing Eslandolan captains seem to have with tulips at the moment seems to be getting out of hand!!!

Cool interior. The heavy use of brown looks surprisingly good, especially the dark brown columns around the door. As for the story:

On 10/8/2021 at 3:02 PM, Ayrlego said:

This thing Eslandolan captains seem to have with tulips at the moment seems to be getting out of hand!!!

The key to doing business with an Eslandolan flush with cash (yes, that's redundant) is to convince him that all his competitors, enemies, and frenemies are buying your product hand-over-fist, in which case he'll shell out the doubloons in an attempt to show the amateurs how it's really done. :pir-grin: